• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Initial impressions:

Bumper is nice. It is well-made and perfect for showing off the nice design of the phone. It should help with small falls, but I doubt it will help with hard impacts.

I have not had a non-AMOLED phone since the G1. I had a Nexus One and a Galaxy Nexus. I was worried that it would be a downgrade for me, but I'm happy to say it is not.

Coming from the GNex, I was surprised how big of an overall improvement the screen is. Both displays are 720p, but the N4 is definitely sharper (text and clarity). To me, the colors on the N4, except black, look much more accurate but also much more "neutral" than the GNex; the latter and AMOLED screens in general tend to have saturated colors, which makes them appear more vibrant. It is one of the things I love about them, but the pentile matrix hurts them in the long run. I loaded up NeoGAF on both, and I was embarrassed how discolored the white background was on the GNex. How did I think that was acceptable? If you have an iPad with a retina display, then expect the N4 to look like that exactly, except smaller.

The camera is a decent improvement. I have not tested it extensively, nor am I an expert. But, in lowlight, the pictures do get noisy -- though they are clearer than the GNex. In daylight, it is no contest with the N4 wrecking the GNex. Overall, it probably can't compete with the big devices with better sensors, but coming from a GNex, I am pleased so far.

I have not used the phone for more than a day, so I can't comment on battery life. I will say that it came with about 56% battery out of the box, and I managed to eek out almost 2 hours of screen time (about 1hr and 45 min) before I needed to charge it -- and that's with me downloading all my apps and setting up the phone from scratch.

Also, HOLY FUCK is this thing fast. Yes, the GNex runs smoothly with Jellybean, but you can tell that it has to pause and think for a second when transitioning quickly from app to app. The animations on the GNex are very noticeably slower than the N4 -- likely because they're trying to mask the loading/delay. On the N4, I can zip around with no hiccups. Everything launches faster, and the animations are smooth and quick. Too bad, on stock, we are stuck with Chrome, because it is definitely not up to the task.

One of my main reasons for upgrading was the lack of RAM on the GNex. 1GB is a lot for a phone, but the minute I started switching between apps, the Galaxy Nexus would have to unfreeze them and load them back into memory. If you have GNex now, you can tell this happens when you go back to the browser, for example, and the current page appears greyed out and begins to "refresh" itself. For me, this would happen every time I loaded up the gallery then went back to the browser. It was incredibly annoying. On the N4, this hasn't happened to me yet even with extensive gallery use. I'm sure it will happen, but the threshold is much higher.

Also, as I posted on the last page, 42mbps 3G is amazing. I actually beat my friends iPhone 5 running on Verizon LTE.

Negatives:

Because of the glass back, the phone feels super slippery in my hand. It almost wants to shoot out of my hand like a banana and smash itself into the floor. The bumper helps, but not by much.

No stock browser. Chrome really does hurt the speed.

Lock screen widgets: they're useful, but absolutely convoluted right now. They need to work on their implementation.

Just a heads up to those who want a shipping refund. You have to call them or email them to request it. It is not automatic. My card got charged the full amount including shipping even though I was told throughout the week by the CSR's that I wouldn't be charged for shipping. No big deal, just a 1 minute phone call to request the refund. It's $17 (in Canada) so it's worth the 1 minute to call. I'm supposed to receive my phone today and technically it is the 6th business day since I ordered. Now, normally I wouldn't be a tight ass and go request a refund if it didnt make the 3-5 day estimate because I know mail is unpredictable. But with how terrible an ordering experience this has been, I decided to ask for a refund on principle.

Hieberrr

Guys, any ideas what headsets with mics are compatible with this?

I have a current headset with 4 notches on the male input, but I have absolutely no idea what I amd looking for.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Has anyone with Android/Google Wallet in Canada been able to use NFC payment (in Canada). I was just reading Google Wallet page, and it says it only works in US and with CitiBank. I was under impression that this stuff worked in Canada, but maybe because I've only heard it from someone from work who was visiting from the US.

... that's still faster than my home Wi-Fi. Unless people are torrenting with their 4G phones, what do they need 4G for that they can't do with these crazy fast HSPA speeds?

Well, LTE does have the ability to be much faster, and 3G networks are currently quite congested (AT&T's especially). Plus, in the future, LTE could theoretically replace your wired broadband connection (it can right now, but bandwidth caps make that difficult).

where do i find the stock browser apk?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1999303

You need to be rooted to install it. So, for now, I'm dealing with Chrome.

maharg

idspispopd
Has anyone with Android/Google Wallet in Canada been able to use NFC payment (in Canada). I was just reading Google Wallet page, and it says it only works in US and with CitiBank. I was under impression that this stuff worked in Canada, but maybe because I've only heard it from someone from work who was visiting from the US.

You need to have a US credit card tied to your google wallet, but if you do it should work on Canadian POS units.

abunai

Might as well thrown my hat into the ring (spent almost 2 days with the device):

Since I was coming from a Desire Z with a hacked and incomplete version of 4.1, my expectations were quite high. First thing I noticed was how light it is. I know my previous phone was a brick, with the QWERTY and all, but even with the size of the device you'd expect it to be heavier. It's a good weight, and feels solid in my hands. The glass back doesn't slip around (as others have mentioned) and the soft-touch rim is a nice touch. Good build quality, definitely feels premium. It sits very well in my hands, I was expecting a flat device to be a bit uncomfortable but the curved edges of the glass make it really nice to hold.

Next thing I looked at was the screen. Booted the device. I didn't come from an AMOLED display, so the colours don't look washed out to me at all. They're very vibrant compared to what I am used to, but this is only relative to me. The main thing that bugs me about all mobile device screens is the ghosting - my PC monitor is 120hz and doesn't ghost at all, so I noticed it a fair amount. However, it's a phone. It's not going to be playing CPMA quake or anything. Text is very sharp, and I can't see any pixels at all. Good viewing angles and video looks crisp. It's a good display.

I cut my giffgaff sim down to size, and did a speedtest. HSPA got about 15 down, 10 up. I honestly don't need any faster on a phone. Webpages etc load pretty much instantly and there's no checkerboxing. Performance is great. It's probably more exaggerated for me since I was using an unofficial JB release on my previous phone, but it's unbelievably smooth. Animations seamlessly blend into one another, never had any dropped frames in any apps I've used. I haven't played any 3D intensive games yet but it handles PSX emulators fine. I don't really care about the camera on a smart phone. It's a smartphone camera, it takes good pictures, but nothing outstanding. It's somewhat worse in low light, but nothing that would bug me. It might bug you - who knows. As for battery performance; the device came off the charger at 8am this morning and after about 3 hours of web browsing, ~1hr of games, maybe 50 or so texts and a short phone call it's sitting at 51% (it is now 7:11pm). It seems to match my old phone which had custom kernels and stuff on it, so I'm happy.

One thing that worried me a bit before getting the phone was the audio quality, I think it was the anandtech review which said the audio performance isn't great. The speaker is alright, nothing spectacular. My main concern was the DAC for headphone output. The sound it produces (with Sony MDR-V6/Beyerdynamic DT990 pro, Sennheiser CX400 IEMs) is a lot punchier than my old phone, but I've no idea if the DAC on that device is great or not. It's enjoyable to listen to music, and sounds clear. I'm pleased.

The hardware and software on this device come together very well for a great user experience. It's a steal at £280.

Heads up for the german (or even european?) gafers. Stefan Keuchel (Google Germany PR Dude) just postet on Plus that you can now order Nexus 10 units again, with an estimated delivery time frame of 2-3 weeks.

Although he couldn't tell when orders for the Nexus 4 are possible again, i think i can't take that much time.

I hope they get a new batch before december 15, thats the date when Media Markt supposedly gets the 16GB units, but they cost 50€ more then in the play store. Maybe that is the price you have to pay for error-free buying and non sucky delivery. :)

So I have a guaranteed opportunity for a N4 directly through T-Mobile today. I could make it happen.

Cons are the price obviously - a $150 premium versus the Play Store. However, it avoids Google's shit tier customer service as it relates to Nexus devices and vague shipping estimates. And first line support would likely be able to be handled by T-Mo in case there are issues.

I'd also be able to immediately unload my current phone, recouping some of the cost of the upgrade.

Decisions.....

zoku88

What? Are you saying between 4.1 and 4.2 they removed the stock android browser?

Just the Nexus 4 ROM. They can't remove it from Android, because Chrome itself is not an open-source client. If Chrome were included in Android, you really couldn't call it open source (unless Google open-sourced Chrome, I guess..)

Couldn't you buy one on eBay for less than the $150 T-Mo premium?

I've been looking at least over the past few days and it looks like not at all. The other issue is the total lack of warranty support the second the thing ships. Which is a concern.

Edit: Yup looking at around at least $600 via Ebay. Fucking official bumpers are going for $70 lol. No way in hell.

abunai

Just the Nexus 4 ROM. They can't remove it from Android, because Chrome itself is not an open-source client. If Chrome were included in Android, you really couldn't call it open source (unless Google open-sourced Chrome, I guess..)

Well there is chromium, the open source branch of Chrome.

Hieberrr

I don't understand why Google decided not to let its android users to fucking skip to the next line. Non customizable quick toggles, SMS lack of features, shitty music player... It's great, but there sure are a lot of dam shortcomings.

Ocho

I cancelled my order from the guy from Ebay because his phones were backordered and my hype died. In fairness, I was only paying $80 dollars extra and he might even make a greater profit by reselling the phone now that prices are seriously inflated. I also saw a Note 2 and fell in love.

That back protective plastic sheet that comes with the phone is so much better than the one iPhones come with. I'm actually going to keep it on for a few days because its not even noticable. lol

Hardware feels amazing! Totally impressed with the build quality at first touch.

Any word on when this is going to be back in stock?

After some deliberation, I've decided to go for this. As for the phone plan, the $60 T-Mobile plan looks pretty great.

Anno

Posting from my just-arrived nexus 4. Feels really good! Screen looks great as well. My favorite thing so far though is the swipe keyboard. This thing is crazy awesome.

buhdeh

Any word on when this is going to be back in stock?

After some deliberation, I've decided to go for this. As for the phone plan, the $60 T-Mobile plan looks pretty great.

Well considering some people who ordered in the 10 minute window haven't even gotten theirs yet... we are going to be waiting a long time.

Well considering some people who ordered in the 10 minute window haven't even gotten theirs yet... we are going to be waiting a long time.

Disappointing, but not surprising.

I would certainly hope they'll make a considerable effort to get some ready for Cyber Monday, but who knows...

Anyone have any experience with Solavei? Looks like it might be another decent option. Straight Talk's data plan seems kinda iffy.

Rhindle

So I have a guaranteed opportunity for a N4 directly through T-Mobile today. I could make it happen.

Cons are the price obviously - a $150 premium versus the Play Store. However, it avoids Google's shit tier customer service as it relates to Nexus devices and vague shipping estimates. And first line support would likely be able to be handled by T-Mo in case there are issues.

I'd also be able to immediately unload my current phone, recouping some of the cost of the upgrade.

Decisions.....
Isn't the TMO version locked to T-Mobile? That removes one of the major pluses of the phone (in my mind anyway).

Decisions.....

I was presented with this opportunity today, and I bit. My local T-Mobile store at the mall got 5 more in stock, and they would have been gone before I got there if I hadn't called and reserved one. Went for the value plan, paid $200 up front for the 16GB version and they even gave me a $50 MIR. So overall, the phone is gonna cost me $450, compared to $350 if I bought it from the Google store. I'm happy with that.

It's my first smartphone (laughably) and I have a lot to learn about the whole system. I'm thinking about unlocking the bootloader before I start doing anything else since I think that wipes the phone. I'm guessing XDA would be the best place to go for like a starter guide.

Hieberrr

iGpB0XmgNqaGI.png
Screenshot time!

Chili

My order for a replacement just shipped. I guess the CSRs were actually correct in that they kept a separate batch or they are getting priority. I feel almost guilty as I have an almost perfect phone for the time being while there are people who have nothing. :(

rykomatsu

Has anyone used GrooveIP with Google Voice on T-Mobile HSDPA? I only have Wifi at the moment since my SIM card hasn't arrived yet, but the call quality's been good with GrooveIP. I want to go with T-Mobile $30/mo prepaid with 100min and handle my calls using Google Voice if possible. Otherwise, I'll probably stick with Solavei for a while.

You're kidding me? lol I'm such an idiot.

Think of it this way...the back plate "protector" is THAT good lol. I'm planning on leaving mine on until I get a case and skin...

Mobile GAF is a bit different on nexus chrome than it is safari iPhone. Thinks look a bit wonky at times.

I'm super overwhelmed with android right now. Same thing happened when i was setting up my mothers S3 few months ago. Just TOO much customization its making my head hurt. Going to take a break for now.

Does the lock screen not show notifications like iOS 6 does? A bar popup with the texts or missed calls or Facebook message etc?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Mobile GAF is a bit different on nexus chrome than it is safari iPhone. Thinks look a bit wonky at times.

I'm super overwhelmed with android right now. Same thing happened when i was setting up my mothers S3 few months ago. Just TOO much customization its making my head hurt. Going to take a break for now.

Does the lock screen not show notifications like iOS 6 does? A bar popup with the texts or missed calls or Facebook message etc?

You can get a lockscreen widget to show it, but no, normally the notifications just appear as icons in the notification bar.

Top Bottom