• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Also, I'm pretty comfortable in saying that there's something amiss with the 3G. On WiFi, the battery goes down slowly, very slowly, even with heavy use and the screen on high brightness. On 3G, it sucks up power like nobody's business.

I'm resorting to WiFi at home now.

giga

Yeah, but then I have to convince everyone to install and use it, and you know how some people are. Google voice sounds like a better idea I think.
Exactly. Telling other people to download, install, and use this app to exclusively chat with you isn't a viable solution compared to having something built in to the OS messaging app. Google Voice only does SMS, which means no photos/videos/groups/etc, but it will at least be seamless that won't require the other end to install and use something different.

Chili

I don't get what's up with Google and the bumper shipping...3-5 day for shipping...makes no sense...is there one person processing each individual order or something...

I ordered mine on the first day (separate to the phone) and they've told me that it is backordered and could take three weeks like the remaining phone orders. :/

Marco1

As much as I thought this was a great phone with a great price the whole launch was a fiasco.
This is Google FFS so how could they screw it up so badly? They ordered three when I wanted one and then proceeded to send it to 4 connecting flights to get it to me in N.Ireland.
Also the tracking link in the email did not work and took me three days to find out who the courier was because google support had no idea also.
Sorry Google but I jumped back to apple and have no reason to try you again. I'll see how you fare after jellybean.

I got some looks today on the subway. This phone is sex. I hide the LG logo with my hand and leave the nexus logo nice and exposed. Don't lie, you all do it too! ~_~

Beez

Banned
I can kind of see where Beez is coming from. iOS has a unified messaging app while Android has a separate GTalk and SMS app, even though the SMS app is generically called 'Messaging'. Hell, even Google+ inexplicably has a separate messaging application.

When I do group messages on the iPhone I can have multi chats with my two friends John and Lee but now their messages come back to me separate. One buddy thinks I should get an iPhone again but it's not up to me since I don't pay for it. *sigh*

cube444

When I do group messages on the iPhone I can have multi chats with my two friends John and Lee but now their messages come back to me separate. One buddy thinks I should get an iPhone again but it's not up to me since I don't pay for it. *sigh*

Was your dad able to scare Google into making yours the only LTE ready Nexus 4?

Ugh.... this is what happens when the iDiots leave the iOS platform.
Was a joke dude. Sarcasm over the net doesn't work too well I suppose. You seem mad. I've been defending LG like mad to a bunch of people lately.

In other news, I'm noticing a buzzing noise from my charger. Even when I un-plug it from the outlet it keeps buzzing for a few seconds then goes away.

mackattk

So, looks like I have some very fine, hairline scratches on the back of the phone. I have babied this thing since I first got it, have no idea how the scratches got on there.

maharg

idspispopd
Was a joke dude. Sarcasm over the net doesn't work too well I suppose. You seem mad. I've been defending LG like mad to a bunch of people lately.

In other news, I'm noticing a buzzing noise from my charger. Even when I un-plug it from the outlet it keeps buzzing for a few seconds then goes away.

Should probably replace it.

Ocho

I'll buy your used Nexus 4.

exYle

You really should've done some research before you hopped ship.

Had the phone for three days now, wife calls me from line at toys r us crying that the phone slid off her lap, maybe 2 feet, and shattered the screen and it doesn't turn on.

If anyone is looking to get rid of their recent at&t android/iPhone pm me

giga

Had the phone for three days now, wife calls me from line at toys r us crying that the phone slid off her lap, maybe 2 feet, and shattered the screen and it doesn't turn on.

You made your wife stand in line at toys r us? That's grounds for divorce.

Radec

only 2 ft and the glass is already shattered? damn.

cheesetom

I believe handcent in the play store will solve your problem. But really though, this kind of stuff should be baked into 4.2 by now.

Emwitus

So now they have a permanent link to the T-mobile contract offer...hahaha. This is obviously a deliberate hold back on shipments to get you buy the more expensive contract Nexus. Eat it google! :(

GatorBait

Cancelled my order tonight; count me as another casualty of deflated hype.

I have a GNexus and didn't really have a great reason for upgrading now other than it seemed like I could still get a decent resale value for my phone. I figure now I'll just wait until next year and pick up whatever Nexus phone is designed around (hopefully) Android 5.0. In all honestly, I think the unpolished nature of 4.2 helped attribute to my decreased hype levels for the Nexus 4.

Should probably replace it.
Thanks. Do you know what could be the issue? Its almost like the charger is holding some charge in it for a few seconds after unplugging. I don't know much about electricity to even take a guess. I can understand a buzzing while its in the outlet but even when you remove it for a few seconds is really strange. It says its a travel adapter. What does it mean by that? I've never used a travel adapter before. I'll probably call Google about it. Will USB charge in the meantime.

Edit: called Google and they said it doesn't sound normal and offered to replace it no problems. One small issue though, they want the entire phone back! The whole package. They can't swap just the charger. I don't even...

Double edit: upon further inspection it only makes the noise after removing the charger and not during charging. I found this thread on xda that seems to touch on the issue with a few responses. Anyone know if it makes sense? Just don't want to fuck up my phone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2003245

It would appear that LTE somehow works for Canadians because of our LTE bands:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2007943&page=8

Pyromaniac, come back ;)
thanks for the PM. That's interesting and certainly changes things. Is this a permanent thing? Not something that will be fixed by carriers or something? Because....ERECTION.

Also what's the battery like using LTE, anyone post info on that. I MUST KNOW. Also why does this work in Canada and not elsewhere? I should wait to see how this plays out but if it's a permanent thing....shwingg.

buhdeh

Oh right AT&T uses the same bands. I'm not sure if it's strictly Canadian then but the only people who've (supposedly) gotten it working so far in that thread are all Canadians.

Ryaaan14

Banned
So I visited the T-Mobile store a couple days ago and they told me about purchasing the $360 Nexus 4 outright and getting the $59/mo unlimited plan (with some nice corporate discounts from my employer). I'd be switching from an iPhone 4 with AT&T. Do you guys think this is a smart move? Been wanting something new and the smartphone market seems a bit weak right now and this is a decent looking option for the money. I could sell my iPhone 4 32GB to make up for the Nexus 4 purchase almost, and save around $20 monthly without getting throttled. Not sure about T-Mob's coverage vs. AT&T though.

Also, I always take care of my phone and never drop it, so being fragile is a non-issue.

I've always just used the default twitter app but is there a better one out there? I know that third party apps got nerfed but is there something out there worth trying?

abunai

I've always just used the default twitter app but is there a better one out there? I know that third party apps got nerfed but is there something out there worth trying?

I'm loving the Falcon beta, which will be released on the Play store soon (for like £0.60). The beta works well enough for me to use as my main client.

Echofon is my default client, really well done design and syncs what tweets you've read across Android, iOS, PC and Mac.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

I like Plume the best but it is no Tweetbot. Falcon seems nice. Anyway, Twitter is on its way out. Buy an app.net account and use Robin.

You might want to take a look at Echofon :-

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5lY2hvZm9uIl0.

It's fairly fully featured and comes with a great widget. The Pro version even gives you a lock screen widget.

Anyway, Twitter is on its way out. Buy an app.net account and use Robin.
Thanks for that I needed a laugh ;-)

MNC

HOW IS SHE CALLING!?!?!!?!?!

Echofon is my default client, really well done design and syncs what tweets you've read across Android, iOS, PC and Mac.

Echofon is decent but it's still a beta product. It throws up all sorts of programming errors when I use it and that shouldn't happen in a 5$ app.

First of many to come I think. We're going to see an exodus of 3rd part devs by March next year.

I like Plume the best but it is no Tweetbot. Falcon seems nice. Anyway, Twitter is on its way out. Buy an app.net account and use Robin.

On it's way out? I wouldn't go that far yet.

Darkwater

I've got a brother of a friend visiting from America somewhere in January. How likely is it that he'll be able to bring me a Nexus 4 without obliterating his F5 key per sé?

Top Bottom