• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

You can get a lockscreen widget to show it, but no, normally the notifications just appear as icons in the notification bar.
Ah okay so its done with widgets. Thanks. I'll try that out but from what I've heard on here, they don't seem to be so hot.

Edit: are there only 4 widgets available for the lock screen? I only see messages, gmail, clock, and calendar.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Ah okay so its done with widgets. Thanks. I'll try that out but from what I've heard on here, they don't seem to be so hot.

Edit: are there only 4 widgets available for the lock screen? I only see messages, gmail, clock, and calendar.

Oh I think I misunderstood you. Well you can get what you want with a custom widget like UCCW and put it on the lockscreen now. But all those missed messages are easily accessed from the notification tray.

Oh I think I misunderstood you. Well you can get what you want with a custom widget like UCCW and put it on the lockscreen now. But all those missed messages are easily accessed from the notification tray.
Thanks for that.

And yeah this phone does get hot. It's starting to cool down a bit though now.

Day 1. Heavy use near the end. Also, I had GTalk on accidentally for the first 11%. That was a battery drain.

Anyway, screen on time was about 40 minutes better than my GNex. Good, not great.

Screenshot_2012-11-21-22-34-25.png

Screenshot_2012-11-21-22-34-35.png

Screenshot_2012-11-21-22-34-48.png

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Day 1. Heavy use near the end. Also, I had GTalk on accidentally for the first 11%. That was a battery drain.

Anyway, screen on time was about 40 minutes better than my GNex. Good, not great.

GTalk drains like nothing.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
WTF at chrome!
It's such garbage. Google will annoy a bunch of new Android users with Chrome. The noobs will have no idea that web browsing on Android really isn't bad. It's just Chrome.

twofold

I installed Dolphin a few days ago. I really like it. The gesture stuff and the ability to install addons is pretty useful. How does it fare performance wise compared to the stock browser?

It's such garbage. Google will annoy a bunch of new Android users with Chrome. The noobs will have no idea that web browsing on Android really isn't bad. It's just Chrome.

Hmm, why would they do this?

And the only way to get the AOSP browser is to be root? How does one root, is it bad?

Kibbles

Why does everyone moan about Chrome? Just use a better browser like Dolphin. It's stupid when I see people use Chrome in comparisons like iPhone vs Nexus 4 or Galaxy S3 and all that crap, like just use the best browser available? :S

Chili

I don't even think Chrome is that bad. The seamless integration with PC Chrome with tab syncing and bookmarks more than balances out the slowess.

Cipherr

Chrome isnt as smooth and doesnt handle GIFs as well as the stock browser and Firefox. Since Firefox's newest update, if anyone wants a better browser, just use FF, dont bother rooting for the AOSP browser. FF is just as smooth and fast. Smoother even, its great.

Chrome isnt as smooth and doesnt handle GIFs as well as the stock browser and Firefox. Since Firefox's newest update, if anyone wants a better browser, just use FF, dont bother rooting for the AOSP browser. FF is just as smooth and fast. Smoother even, its great.

Sounds a lot easier. I only use Chrome on Windows at work and I use Safari at home on my iPad and MacBook. So I won't be missing out on much

abunai

I don't even think Chrome is that bad. The seamless integration with PC Chrome with tab syncing and bookmarks more than balances out the slowess.

FWIW AOSP browser does this too, sort of. Syncs bookmarks, at least. I read about a hack to get tab syncs but I haven't tried it yet.

cube444

It's so complicated. How do I send my friends imessages? Everyone I text it's going through SMS now. My cell phone bill is going to be high and my dad will kill me.

You need to download the Apple app in order to keep your imessages. An Apple skin over your Android will also do the trick.

Chili

I can kind of see where Beez is coming from. iOS has a unified messaging app while Android has a separate GTalk and SMS app, even though the SMS app is generically called 'Messaging'. Hell, even Google+ inexplicably has a separate messaging application.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I can kind of see where Beez is coming from. iOS has a unified messaging app while Android has a separate GTalk and SMS app, even though the SMS app is generically called 'Messaging'. Hell, even Google+ inexplicably has a separate messaging application.

Won't be that way much longer, they're all going to be combined

Blackhead

Redarse

That's no excuse for thinking you can send iMessages with the android sms app.

MadFerIt

Crap... And I thought the battery life on my Nexus S was lousy, this is going to be a huge adjustment.

Honestly I think partial blame is to be laid at Android 4.2, I've had to tweak a lot of settings on my Nexus 7 to repair the hit battery took with the update, not to even mention the lag I"ve experienced.

Thread title is such a lie. Quality for a select few the world over*.

I really wish Google would get their shit together. I am this close to buying a HTC One X+, but I can't go past the value and features of the Nexus 4. I guess there's no harm in waiting; iPhone 4 will have to suffice for now.

Shambles

It's so complicated. How do I send my friends imessages? Everyone I text it's going through SMS now. My cell phone bill is going to be high and my dad will kill me.

Setting aside if these are joke posts or not. I almost never recommend iOS to anyone but in this case Beez, I think it would probably be best to stick with your old iphone.

Darkwater

Thread title is such a lie. Quality for a select few the world over*.

I really wish Google would get their shit together. I am this close to buying a HTC One X+, but I can't go past the value and features of the Nexus 4. I guess there's no harm in waiting; iPhone 4 will have to suffice for now.

Patiently awaiting my chance to get one of these things. With my HTC Desire. So cry me a river. ;)

Would you guys recommend against letting Google keep track of my location? Seems like information they don't need to have, and it also seems to put the Google maps service on in the background constantly which is a bit of a battery drain.

cjkeats

A friend of mine ordered one, then got frustrated waiting for it to ship, cancelled it, got refunded and all that long, before it ever supposedly moved from a warehouse, and went on with life.
Today, one just showed up at his doorstep. No charge on his CC either. He's baffled.

Cipherr

Would you guys recommend against letting Google keep track of my location? Seems like information they don't need to have, and it also seems to put the Google maps service on in the background constantly which is a bit of a battery drain.

There is a humongous bug with Location data right now that is draining battery life like crazy since 4.2 went live. Turn off location services for now, even if you dont mind having it on. Just turn it off for now at least.

There is a humongous bug with Location data right now that is draining battery life like crazy since 4.2 went live. Turn off location services for now, even if you dont mind having it on. Just turn it off for now at least.

I see. I just have a lot of apps that bitch at me about wanting to know my location, so I wanted to have it on for those. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I get charged per SMS as well :\ I wish Android had some imessage equivalent to be honest as about equal amount of people I send and receive texts from has Android and Iphone.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I get charged per SMS as well :\ I wish Android had some imessage equivalent to be honest as about equal amount of people I send and receive texts from has Android and Iphone.

Uhhh just get Whatsapp. It's basically imessage but for everyone.

Bboy AJ

Use Google Voice.

Chili

Assuming the aforementioned bug gets fixed then absolutely. I don't think there is anything sinister going on which would be enough reason not to allow them. The benefits are huge. It figured out where I work and where I live and Google Now tells me wherever I am how to get home and how long it will take me to get to work given traffic, delays etc. And it saves you having to turn it on when you need Maps or some other app that requires it.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I don't get what's up with Google and the bumper shipping...3-5 day for shipping...makes no sense...is there one person processing each individual order or something...

Top Bottom