• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

F#A#Oo

Banned
I don't know if I'm alone with this issue but during a call I cannot see my screen or turn it on or do anything. It remains blank during the call and only once the call is finished does the screen turn on allowing me to operate the phone.

derder

I don't know if I'm alone with this issue but during a call I cannot see my screen or turn it on or do anything. It remains blank during the call and only once the call is finished does the screen turn on allowing me to operate the phone.

You might have just smudged the photodetector. Is it consistent? Clean the surface of the screen around the mic and try it again.

F#A#Oo

Banned
You might have just smudged the photodetector. Is it consistent? Clean the surface of the screen around the mic and try it again.

photodetector? where is that? where is the mic?

I know I sound dumb...sorry.

I've wiped the whole screen...and no smudges as far as I can see...

Sounds like the proximity sensor... phone>call settings>turn off proximity sensor... But it should know when your have the phone on or off your ear so you can see the screen punching in extensions and whatnot.

RJM77

If you have a screen protector on it that doesn't have a cut out for the proximity sensor that might be the problem. I've read of some people having that issue and some screen film mfrs have recalled their products that don't have the cut out.

F#A#Oo

Banned
If you have a screen protector on it that doesn't have a cut out for the proximity sensor that might be the problem. I've read of some people having that issue and some screen film mfrs have recalled their products that don't have the cut out.

Yeah...mine had a cut out only for the front facing camera...I guess I could snip the top left off...

Mrg8523-

Just encountered my first issue with this phone. The audio from the 3.5mm headphone jack very low. I had to turn the volume up twice as much on my car before it started reaching the same volume as my Nexus S.

tigerin

gonna meet up with a guy tomorrow to buy his nexus 4. are there anything i should check to see if it's in good condition? i heard there was heating issues and audio jack is too low? anything else?

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
This kinda off the subject but was talking to my sister in law yesterday and she mentioned she wanted an iPhone 5. Being on T-Mobile she will have to get the unlocked version. Just looked up the price and wholly monkey balls that is expensive. The N4 is just as good if not better and half the price. Google really hit out of the park with the pricing.

f0rk

This kinda off the subject but was talking to my sister in law yesterday and she mentioned she wanted an iPhone 5. Being on T-Mobile she will have to get the unlocked version. Just looked up the price and wholly monkey balls that is expensive. The N4 is just as good if not better and half the price. Google really hit out of the park with the pricing.

The price is irrelevant when they are sold out with no information on when there will be more.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
The price is irrelevant when they are sold out with no information on when there will be more.

Well be patient. I have 2 on order and not acting like its the end of the world like some people here and around the net. I agree that Google has been incompetent on this. As far as I know the unlocked iPhone 5 is not available either.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
To freaking irks me that guys are selling the 8gb nex for over 600bucks on ebay and some idiots are gobbling it up. agh!

If someone wants to buy my phones for that price then I have no problems letting them go. I will just wait till Google get's their sh*t together and have these widely available.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Cancelled my order tonight; count me as another casualty of deflated hype.

I have a GNexus and didn't really have a great reason for upgrading now other than it seemed like I could still get a decent resale value for my phone. I figure now I'll just wait until next year and pick up whatever Nexus phone is designed around (hopefully) Android 5.0. In all honestly, I think the unpolished nature of 4.2 helped attribute to my decreased hype levels for the Nexus 4.

Yeah I understand it can be a little frustrating. Im waiting on mine and in the mean time I like to read more about the N4. When I read something like this http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-nexus-4-second-opinion the hype comes back.

The Nexus 4 flirts with perfection in many areas, most notably performance. Between the quad-core Snapdragon S4 chip and stock Android 4.2, it's hard to imagine how smartphones can get much faster than the product Google and LG have delivered.

SimleuqiR

http://phandroid.com/2012/11/23/nexus-4-review/

Unfortunately, beyond it’s looks, there were still some issues in build quality that bugged me. First off, there’s some give when pressing down on the back area. As shown in my video, it’s a small complaint, but one that made the device feel just a little more “cheapy.” Also, when pressing down on the front glass, you can see LCD ripples you may remember when you were first poked an LCD computer monitor as a kid. Again, nothing major, but something that’s also absent in more plastic-ie devices like the Galaxy S3.

The one issue that bugged me with the previous Galaxy Nexus still irks me on the Nexus 4: dat bezel. While I’m not suggesting I would want a device with virtually no bezels (the Note 2′s are a little too small for my liking), the fact that the Nexus 4 has a virtual navigation bar instead of capacitive hardware buttons means a thicker than normal bottom bezel. I’d say it’s reminiscent of the LG G2X. Yuck.

Hmmmm....

Also:

Users have been reporting that the earpiece on their Nexus 4 have been emitting a faint, buzzing or clicking noise which occurs even if the phone isn’t in use. Users have tried everything from switching off WiFi to switching on Airplane mode, but the noises persist

2x hmmmm...

I guess it is a $350 phone with some nice coated paint on it.

Anno

Yeah, I haven't really experienced any physical problems with the phone aside from it getting a little warm when playing games. Nothing too bad at all. Honestly the phone feels absolutely amazing in my hand, so much better than my iPhone 5 and Lumia 900 that I used most recently.

Wow, I don't have any of those problems AT ALL.
That LCD thing seems like an isolated build issue. Don't have any of that either. I do have the buzzing, though. The only way I hear it is if I'm holding the phone to my ear while not in use. I can't think of any normal scenario in which I would use the phone like that.

F#A#Oo

Banned
http://phandroid.com/2012/11/23/nexus-4-review/

Hmmmm....

Also:

2x hmmmm...

I guess it is a $350 phone with some nice coated paint on it.

That reads like desperate attempt to disparage the phone. It's quite obvious they are throwing anything around to see if it sticks.

I've shown my phone to various users and I'm the envy of a lot of people. Hell my friend who just dropped £600 on a Note 2 had the look of disbelief and regret.

It's sad that Google underestimated demand but you can't blame them. Samsung have to even said the Galaxy Nexus was not a big seller. Google probably thought the Nexus 4 was not going to be a big seller.

mackattk

Just bought a full body protector from xoskins.com. Apparently these are pretty decent screen protectors, had some good reviews from XDA. They also have the proximity sensor location cut so it won't mess with phone calls like the cheaper skins do.
I've never used them before, hopefully they will work decent enough.

55% off coupon code: thanksxo2012

Whoa. Just found out that it can do LTE. And not only that but I'm Canadian and my current provider supports the right band.

Really tempted now...

Shagwell

This x100. My iphone 4 is a bit fucked and I was really hoping to buy the Nexus 4 to replace it as I have no interest in extending/renewing my contract with AT&T. La familia is going off on me and my dysfunctional phone and telling me to just suck it up, extend like them, and get the iPhone 5. I keep saying I'll wait for the Nexus but really...who fucking knows when that's coming around?

Beyond ridiculous at this point. Ah well.

Hieberrr

I love the battery! Mind you I do moderate amounts of email checking and browsing (no music or anything like that) and this thing can last 17+ hours and still have 40-45% left in the tank. LOVE IT.

falastini

Maybe it's because I'm new to the android ecosystem, but I'm enjoying both the chrome browser and the keyboard over the alternatives.

I tried Firefox but I preferred chrome for two reasons. The scrolling is a lot faster. And searching is one step vs two on Firefox.

And I bought swiftkey on sale but I like the new keyboard's gliding method over the standard typing. It's easier for one hand writing.

Top Bottom