• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Anno

So what do people have against Chrome? From what I've used so far it seems petty quick and the desktop syncing is super useful. Firefox certainly doesn't seem better, but I might try Dolphin or something similar just to compare.

Maybe it's because I'm new to the android ecosystem, but I'm enjoying both the chrome browser and the keyboard over the alternatives.

I tried Firefox but I preferred chrome for two reasons. The scrolling is a lot faster. And searching is one step vs two on Firefox.

And I bought swiftkey on sale but I like the new keyboard's gliding method over the standard typing. It's easier for one hand writing.

Try Swype.

So what do people have against Chrome? From what I've used so far it seems petty quick and the desktop syncing is super useful. Firefox certainly doesn't seem better, but I might try Dolphin or something similar just to compare.

The stock AOSP browser is considered faster, less of a resource hog and more efficient with JavaScript -- though it's not as pretty.

Same. It's incredibly quiet, though. I don't think I would have ever noticed it normally.

I do wonder if it's affecting battery life at all.

I don't think anyone has solved the mystery of the fluctuating battery life. I've seen people on XDA post pictures showing up to 6 hours (!) of screen on time with heavy use. However, they were on WiFi the entire time. In fact, anytime I've seen 3.5+ hour usage it was due to someone relying on WiFi. This suggests that the battery life is taking a huge hit on 3G.

Still, it is puzzling, the phone idles like a champ on 3G. I can go through an hour and only lose 1-2% with syncing and location data on. So, it is active 3G use that is the culprit here, whereas active WiFi use doesn't seem to have the same effect. Meh.

I'm on AT&T.

I've got this weird bug. My notification light stays on even after I put the phone on sleep. Only way to fix is to restart, then after it'll do it again. Anyone else notice this?

Jeels

So guess who dropped his Nexus S and gave it a cracked screen?

Was going to wait another year for the next model but I don't think I have a choice anymore. Too bad this is sold out.

f0rk

So guess who dropped his Nexus S and gave it a cracked screen?

Was going to wait another year for the next model but I don't think I have a choice anymore. Too bad this is sold out.

Could you live another year with a Nexus S? Mine's definitely showing its age.

Kadux

Neo Member
Hi everyone, I'm fairly interested in this phone and am seriously thinking about getting one for me this xmas. Thing is, I'm from Portugal and so far I can't find any info about the availability of the phone in my country. In Europe only France, Spain, the UK and some other countries got it and the only way for me to grab one is through ebay, but the prices will be a little bit higher so that's not an option for me.

Does any of you have this piece of info? Much appreciated!

Hi everyone, I'm fairly interested in this phone and am seriously thinking about getting one for me this xmas. Thing is, I'm from Portugal and so far I can't find any info about the availability of the phone in my country. In Europe only France, Spain, the UK and some other countries got it and the only way for me to grab one is through ebay, but the prices will be a little bit higher so that's not an option for me.

Does any of you have this piece of info? Much appreciated!

Ill be will to buy and ship one to you when they start to sell again, but when will that happen...who knows!

Hope that rumor about orders resuming tomorrow is true, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Won't be true at all IMO

Don't think they could have made much more hardware units in 2 weeks, otherwise they would have done it from the beginning

I'll be up at 5.30 GMT time for work anyway- so I'll wait and see

kitch9

Banned
Won't be true at all IMO

Don't think they could have made much more hardware units in 2 weeks, otherwise they would have done it from the beginning

I'll be up at 5.30 GMT time for work anyway- so I'll wait and see

Uhm, they won't stop making them. They don't wait for them to sell out then start making another batch....

The wait will for another few containers full t sail into port.

cheesetom

Put my nexus 4 on a wooden table and it somehow shimmied its way on to the edge and proceeded to fall three feet onto hardwood floor below. HOW DOES THIS EVEN HAPPEN?

maharg

idspispopd
Put my nexus 4 on a wooden table and it somehow shimmied its way on to the edge and proceeded to fall three feet onto hardwood floor below. HOW DOES THIS EVEN HAPPEN?

I had that happen with my iphone4 all the time. Got a crack in the screen from it even.

Really a bit disappointed that they went this way for the Nexus 4.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

Same thing happened to me yesterday. Lucky for me, it landed on my girlfriends head. But we were confused on how it even fell.

Leucrota

Finally got around to checking me HSPA+ speeds. For me, that's more than fast enough for doing anything that I would need to do on a phone. Still don't get why people are so mad about no LTE.

Who knows? It is not the bigger number or next best thing and a lot of people on this site and IRL are all about image and having the next best thing.

Jeels

Could you live another year with a Nexus S? Mine's definitely showing its age.

I was planning on it. It's not like the Nexus S is missing something the Nexus 4 does have. Everything is as fast as I need it to be and what not. I don't get the hype for yearly phone iterations to be honest.

Although I hear someone tell me that starting with Nexus 4 they will stop sending updates to the Nexus S. Is this true?

KarmaCow

...just in case this does somehow go on sale on Monday, it first went up for sale at around 11:40ish (EST) last time right? Contemplating whether it's a good idea to stay on campus to try to get this.

I was planning on it. It's not like the Nexus S is missing something the Nexus 4 does have. Everything is as fast as I need it to be and what not. I don't get the hype for yearly phone iterations to be honest.

Although I hear someone tell me that starting with Nexus 4 they will stop sending updates to the Nexus S. Is this true?

Yeah, no more official updates for the Nexus S, which makes sense since that phone is pretty ancient at this point. You will need to depend on the rom community.

Where in the world is it listed retail for $800? I mean, not gonna lie, I spent $500 on mine through T-Mobile but that site is pretty misleading with the savings indicated.

My other one is still on order from Goggle. Not sure if I should cancel it now or just let the order happen if it ships in a day or so. From there, I could either return my current phone to T-Mo(and take a $50 hit). That would be like me paying $50 extra instead of $150. Or if stock is still somewhat limited, it could be flipped I guess. Either on GAF or Craigslist for a bit of a profit.

Where in the world is it listed retail for $800? I mean, not gonna lie, I spend $500 on mine through T-Mobile but that is pretty misleading with the savings indicated.

My other one is still on order from Goggle. Not sure if I should cancel it now or just let the order happen if it ships in a day or so. From there, I could either return my current phone to T-Mo(and take a $50 hit). That would be like me paying $50 extra instead of $150. Or if stock is still somewhat limited, it could be flipped I guess. Either on GAF or Craigslist for a bit of a profit.

16 GB?

If the online orders are still down by the time you get it, I would be very interested.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Dunno if this has been posted, but LG explains why there's no LTE support, despite it being an seven band LTE chip installed:

"In order to provide the best possible specification for Nexus 4, LG utilized the same powerful Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset as can be found in its 4G LTE product, namely LG Optimus G. This powerful chipset is only available with a combined processor and modem and cannot be implemented separately. The modem contains 4G LTE capabilities but is only effective when combined with other essential hardware parts such as a signal amplifier and filter in order for it to work. It therefore cannot be upgraded to 4G LTE capability through software.With the inclusion of the Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset, Nexus 4 therefore offers the same amazing processing performance as LG Optimus G but for the 3G market."-LG Spokesman

basically, there's no signal amplifier and filter. Buuuut it works on Canadian AWS carriers. Riiiiight

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Why-there-is-no-LTE-connectivity-on-the-Google-Nexus-4_id36986

Rengoku

Dunno if this has been posted, but LG explains why there's no LTE support, despite it being an seven band LTE chip installed:

basically, there's no signal amplifier and filter. Buuuut it works on Canadian AWS carriers. Riiiiight

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Why-there-is-no-LTE-connectivity-on-the-Google-Nexus-4_id36986

I just hope they don't take it out on their next batch of phones. As someone in Canada who could take advantage of this LTE chip, it would really suck if they got rid of it.

Man the battery life is getting really bad for me. Not only did it drop while sleeping from 40% to 27% (5 hours of idle) but I woke up with it at 27% and 10 minutes later I'm at %18 wtfffff

Brightness at 30% of max, WiFi only. No idea whats causing this. Battery stats say screen at 55%, Chrome at 9%, Android System 9%, Android OS 7% and etc.

Man the battery life is getting really bad for me. Not only did it drop while sleeping from 40% to 27% (5 hours of idle) but I woke up with it at 27% and 10 minutes later I'm at %18 wtfffff

Brightness at 30% of max, WiFi only. No idea whats causing this. Battery stats say screen at 55%, Chrome at 9%, Android System 9%, Android OS 7% and etc.

There's definitely something preventing your phone from going to deep sleep. I lose maybe 5% overnight.

There's definitely something preventing your phone from going to deep sleep. I lose maybe 5% overnight.
Anywhere I should start to look? I had a similar issue with my 4S concerning sleep when I first got it but then apple released an update and it fixed a lot of those issues.

I don't even have much on the phone installed. Basic twitter, drop box, Facebook and not much of anything else. Haven't even made a phone call on the thing because I only text.

Does the notification light use a lot of battery? I get messages throughout the night and that light could be flashing for up to 6-7 hours at times.

Top Bottom