• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Anywhere I should start to look? I had a similar issue with my 4S concerning sleep when I first got it but then apple released an update and it fixed a lot of those issues.

I don't even have much on the phone installed. Basic twitter, drop box, Facebook and not much of anything else. Haven't even made a phone call on the thing because I only text.

Does the notification light use a lot of battery? I get messages throughout the night and that light could be flashing for up to 6-7 hours at times.

Notification light doesn't use much battery. Do you have it on Vibrate? If you get a lot of notifications, the phone constantly vibrating could start to eat battery.

Beyond that, go through the apps in the battery usage page to see if anything has a really long keep awake time.

methane47

Anywhere I should start to look? I had a similar issue with my 4S concerning sleep when I first got it but then apple released an update and it fixed a lot of those issues.

I don't even have much on the phone installed. Basic twitter, drop box, Facebook and not much of anything else. Haven't even made a phone call on the thing because I only text.

Does the notification light use a lot of battery? I get messages throughout the night and that light could be flashing for up to 6-7 hours at times.

Make sure you dont have Drop box setup to automatically sync all pictures/video taken.

When Dropbox released that patch i didn't realize it, but my Tab was online for more than a day uploading Gigs of data every time it got a chance. Killed battery life... I would check that.

Notification light doesn't use much battery. Do you have it on Vibrate? If you get a lot of notifications, the phone constantly vibrating could start to eat battery.

Beyond that, go through the apps in the battery usage page to see if anything has a really long keep awake time.

Make sure you dont have Drop box setup to automatically sync all pictures/video taken.

When Dropbox released that patch i didn't realize it, but my Tab was online for more than a day uploading Gigs of data every time it got a chance. Killed battery life... I would check that.
The apps that are running constantly seem to be the following: what's app, Facebook, Nike running, voxer, dropbox, Google services, maps, and android keyboard. So how would I upload my photos to drop box if I turn off automatic sync? Just manually whenever I want from my gallery app?

Photo Stream on my iPhone didn't seem to kill my battery. Its not like I'm taking millions of pics either. But drop box is constantly running it seems. I'm not sure why. Is it to detect when a picture is taken so it can upload it? I can't find any options to turn apps like voxer and Nike running off unless opened by me. No idea why they are running on startup and just re-open again even after I force them stopped.

Facebook and what's app as well not sure why they are running on startup. Does any app with push notifications have to be running 24/7? Why isn't twitter on the running apps list if it pushes me messages? Confused.

And no vibration on for notifications. I'd never sleep if I had that on!

freshair

Anyone flash a custom rom or kernel yet?

Thinking about attempting CM 10.1 and Faux or Franco's tonight after folks in the main battery thread have been getting way better battery stats (upwards of 4 hours screen time!)

methane47

The apps that are running constantly seem to be the following: what's app, Facebook, Nike running, voxer, dropbox, Google services, maps, and android keyboard. So how would I upload my photos to drop box if I turn off automatic sync? Just manually whenever I want from my gallery app?

Photo Stream on my iPhone didn't seem to kill my battery. Its not like I'm taking millions of pics either. But drop box is constantly running it seems. I'm not sure why. Is it to detect when a picture is taken so it can upload it? I can't find any options to turn apps like voxer and Nike running off unless opened by me. No idea why they are running on startup and just re-open again even after I force them stopped.

Facebook and what's app as well not sure why they are running on startup. Does any app with push notifications have to be running 24/7? Why isn't twitter on the running apps list if it pushes me messages? Confused.

Well the issue for me was the initial upload. I'm not sure but dropbox might be looking at all media and trying to upload it. Just disable automatice upload for now and see if the batt life improves

I just wanted to say I love holding this phone. Just feels amazing in the hand.

Edit: And I just got charged too. Means the phone has shipped. Google only charges when a product ships.

Facebook app always rapes my phone. I just use the web site, and remove the app.

Goldrush

They just charged my card but it triggered a fraud alert and got declined. Changed the card but I'm hoping that didn't place me at the back of the line.

Well the issue for me was the initial upload. I'm not sure but dropbox might be looking at all media and trying to upload it. Just disable automatice upload for now and see if the batt life improves

Facebook app always rapes my phone. I just use the web site, and remove the app.
I'll be monitoring my battery the next few days and see what does what. Made a few changes hopefully things improve a bit.

black_13

Banned

Holy crap do people like to whine.

Look I'm one of the ones stuck waiting for Google to stock so I can buy one. But its a phone that's 350 DOLLARS!!!! That is half the cost of a similar quad core phone. This is a game changer and a huuuuuge bargain.

Why is it so cheap? Cause Google is awesome and not greedy. They subsidized the price obviously and like to set their own rules.

Yes of course a phone so cheap is gonna sell out. Suuuure it sold out without warning but come on and be patient. If you can't wait, go ahead and spent twice the amount for another phone.

Leucrota

Holy crap do people like to whine.

Look I'm one of the ones stuck waiting for Google to stock so I can buy one. But its a phone that's 350 DOLLARS!!!! That is half the cost of a similar quad core phone. This is a game changer and a huuuuuge bargain.

Why is it so cheap? Cause Google is awesome and not greedy. They subsidized the price obviously and like to set their own rules.

Yes of course a phone so cheap is gonna sell out. Suuuure it sold out without warning but come on and be patient. If you can't wait, go ahead and spent twice the amount for another phone.

I like when people complain that it is taking Google a long time to get them 'their' phone.

It is not 'your' phone until you get charged for it people, geez. I really dont understand why people cannot be more patient.

I honestly think a lot of people threw their old phones out the window as soon as they placed their Nexus 4 order. Otherwise, they could just use what they currently have until they can get a Nexus 4, right?

twofold

There are people defending Google over this mess of a launch? What the hell. Google deserve any and all criticism that they get.

Darkwater

As a Dutchman I have a snowball's chance in hell of getting my hands on this in the coming months. So I said 'screw it', and bought a used Galaxy Nexus on eBay. I'll test the Nexus 4 waters again sometime next year. Maybe. Bravo, Google.

maharg

idspispopd
I honestly think a lot of people threw their old phones out the window as soon as they placed their Nexus 4 order. Otherwise, they could just use what they currently have until they can get a Nexus 4, right?

People have outright said they sold their old phone before ordering the Nexus 4. I find this baffling, personally.

Blackhead

Redarse
I like when people complain that it is taking Google a long time to get them 'their' phone.

It is not 'your' phone until you get charged for it people, geez. I really dont understand why people cannot be more patient.

It's like people don't understand basic supply and demand. Apple, with the best supply chain in the business, still lists a two week waiting period for the iPhone 5. Such is life.

Wish they would give us word on the orb charger, do want, am considering one of the Nokia chargers though, the plate and the pillow look nice - should be able to work with the nexus?

Maiar_m

Wish they would give us word on the orb charger, do want, am considering one of the Nokia chargers though, the plate and the pillow look nice - should be able to work with the nexus?

There have been reported issues with Nokia chargers and nexus 4's wireless charging.

twofold

It's like people don't understand basic supply and demand. Apple, with the best supply chain in the business, still lists a two week waiting period for the iPhone 5. Such is life.

Apple sold 5 million iPhone 5s during its first 3 days on sale. They've no doubt sold millions more since. Google probably sold 1% that amount of nexus 4s, and that's being incredibly generous. The two situations are incomparable.

Apple sold 5 million iPhone 5s during its first 3 days on sale. They've no doubt sold millions more since. Google probably sold 1% that amount of nexus 4s, and that's being incredibly generous. The two situations are incomparable.

Google is not in it for the money. All they care about is people using their services which is why everything Google is on every platform.

Top Bottom