• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Google is not in it for the money. All they care about is people using their services which is why everything Google is on every platform.

Furthermore, I don't think Google expects the 4 to be a top-selling Android phone, since Americans still largely buy phones on contract from carriers. If Google wanted this to be a mass-market device, they would have developed a CDMA version as well.

I do think, however, that Google very much wants the 7 and 10 to make a dent in the tablet market, since Android tablets have seen much slower growth than Android phones.

Vyer

Of course Google is in it 'for the money'. They are a business. Even having their services out there has a net result of 'more money'. Their business, R&D, and employees don't get paid for in kittens.

Of course Google is in it 'for the money'. They are a business. Even having their services out there has a net result of 'more money'. Their business, R&D, and employees don't get paid for in kittens.

This like every other Nexus device is an experiment. In the short term I don't think they expect it to make money, certainly not on the hardware. In the long term, by buying into the Google ecosystem they'll make it back in spades. Right now Google are taking the learnings from the Nexus 7 and seeing how it applies to the smartphone market. What they don't want is the Verizon interference which played havoc with the launch of Nexus devices and updates. I fully expect Google to partner/launch their own wireless network in the future, because frankly I don't think wireless carriers in the US can be trusted with the web (and make no bones about it, the future of the internet is wireless and mobile)

He meant their main source of revenue is the ad business and not their hardware sales.

SimleuqiR

So....

youdontsay.PNG
You don't say?

So what are the chances that phones ordered today will ship promptly?

Slim to none?

So long as the servers don't derp out again, Google is usually pretty good about devices. I'd think if ordered today it'll ship today or tomorrow.

Edit: Of course there is no way to know their stock situation at this point. Hopefully bumpers go up again at least so I can get one.

methane47

As a Dutchman I have a snowball's chance in hell of getting my hands on this in the coming months. So I said 'screw it', and bought a used Galaxy Nexus on eBay. I'll test the Nexus 4 waters again sometime next year. Maybe. Bravo, Google.

Dont you have like a US Mailbox or a freight forwarder or something?
I live in St. Maarten and a friend of mine already received his nexus 7 last week.

I'm positive there are similar services in NL

I think I'm going to give Solavei a try.

It seems mildly pyramid scheme-ish, but their plan seems better than T-Mo's (T-Mo $50 plan throttles at 2GB; Solavei's throttles after 4GB).

And the reviews of it seem pretty positive.

Angst

Man the battery life is getting really bad for me. Not only did it drop while sleeping from 40% to 27% (5 hours of idle) but I woke up with it at 27% and 10 minutes later I'm at %18 wtfffff

Brightness at 30% of max, WiFi only. No idea whats causing this. Battery stats say screen at 55%, Chrome at 9%, Android System 9%, Android OS 7% and etc.

Use BBB: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.asksven.betterbatterystats&hl=en

My guess is it's Maps causing the wakelocks. It's a bug (I had 2089 wakelocks from maps the last 12 hours), but if not, BBB will help you figure it out.
or make you obsess over things that don't really matter

Edit: oops, I missed a whole page when replying.

MrHicks

Banned
you know these phones are starting to become jokes when it comes to battery life
all high end smartphones are

these aren't just phones anymore but "computers with a call feature"
battery tech can't keep up with the ever increasing power of these things
unless some breakthrough in battery tech comes well soon have 2 hour phones

makes me love my "dumbphone" that lasts 2weeks or something lol

I think I'm going to give Solavei a try.

It seems mildly pyramid scheme-ish, but their plan seems better than T-Mo's (T-Mo $50 plan throttles at 2GB; Solavei's throttles after 4GB).

And the reviews of it seem pretty positive.

I did end up signing up for this, though I'll feel kind of dumb if I can't actually get a Nexus 4 this afternoon. If anyone's interested in a referral, let me know.

Found out about it here, by the way.

So what are the chances that phones ordered today will ship promptly?

Slim to none?

None. They will probably take a day or two again. It took three days last time for me.

Remember, everyone: Setup your Google Wallet now. Input your credit card information, set your default delivery address, turn on a "Track Changes" plugin to see when the actual page updates (last time, they went live 30 min early; every second counts).

Shagwell

None. They will probably take a day or two again. It took three days last time for me.

Remember, everyone: Setup your Google Wallet now. Input your credit card information, set your default delivery address, turn on a "Track Changes" plugin to see when the actual page updates (last time, they went live 30 min early; every second counts).

Good advice, cheers. Know of a decent plugin along those lines for Firefox? I might weep if I fuck this up today.

EDIT: Is there any way to have a separate shipping and billing address on Google Wallet? It only gives me the option to set the address as my billing and shipping address. Bit strange.

you know these phones are starting to become jokes when it comes to battery life
all high end smartphones are

these aren't just phones anymore but "computers with a call feature"
battery tech can't keep up with the ever increasing power of these things
unless some breakthrough in battery tech comes well soon have 2 hour phones

makes me love my "dumbphone" that lasts 2weeks or something lol

Definitely true. The good thing, though is that with android there is a robust developer community that could put out better kernels that save on battery. I'll be on the lookout over the next few weeks to see if I can find a good kernel with battery savings in mind.

Edit: And ditto setting up your Google Wallets now. Should make things go much more smoothly later today.

Good advice, cheers. Know of a decent plugin along those lines for Firefox? I might weep if I fuck this up today.

EDIT: Is there any way to have a separate shipping and billing address on Google Wallet? It only gives me the option to set the address as my billing and shipping address. Bit strange.

Yes, click Settings (the cog), then hit the shipping and billing addresses tab. Make sure you make the shipping address your default address.

Once you're all set up, you can just click through to place your order.

Got a recommendation for one (Chrome)?

Got a recommendation for one (Chrome)?

I used Page Monitor for both the bumper and phone. Make sure you set the interval it checks to something like 2-3 seconds. By default, it's like every minute.

Also note: when the page changes, you will get a little pop-up box from Page Monitor to let you know. Do NOT click it; it will open up a dummy page that shows you what changed on said page. Instead, just go to your tab and refresh the page.

I used Page Monitor for both the bumper and phone. Make sure you set the interval it checks to something like 2-3 seconds. By default, it's like every minute.

Also note: when the page changes, you will get a little pop-up box from Page Monitor to let you know. Do NOT click it; it will open up a dummy page that shows you what changed on said page. Instead, just go to your tab and refresh the page.

Cool. Thanks much.

One of my friends is interested in getting this phone. Is it expected to be a fair amount of stock? Or limited as well?

And what was this not being available in Canada? Is this US only?

One of my friends is interested in getting this phone. Is it expected to be a fair amount of stock? Or limited as well?

And what was this not being available in Canada? Is this US only?

So far, news is this restock is for the US-only. It could be Canada as well, but no word yet.

Also, expect these to be gone within 10 minutes again.

So I have a Google Play credit of about $16 left over from my Nexus 7 purchase.

Will I be able to put this toward the cost of the N4, should I manage to snag one today? I wasn't sure if it was limited to content or could be used toward hardware.

Obviously not a big deal, but I was curious.

My order just shipped! :D

Does UPS allow their drivers to leave packages with a concierge?

They should.

UPS frequently leaves my signature-necessary packages at my apartment complex's office.

But I'll probably have this shipped to my office, should I succeed in ordering one today.

Thanks for the advice. Your tag is well-deserved :)

Does anyone have an idea about N4 availability for Australia?

Top Bottom