• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

cube444

I guess this is Google's way of sticking it to us Canadians for getting "da LTEs" from them.

Oh well. At least we get the Wii Mini!

mnannola

Wow I can't believe announced this in an email. Should have just opened the store up and sold out a little more quietly.

I am really tempted to sell my 16GB as I just got a shipping notice. With some people not receiving their phones for 4-5 weeks, and most not able to purchase, eBay prices are going to be pretty insane for at least another month I'm guessing. Google is missing out big time on the holidays with this launch. I hope they are doing everything possible to crank out more units.

Rhindle

I have a phone in my cart, but keep getting the "Due to high demand" or "Oops we screwed up." messages when I try to proceed to checkout. Do you need to keep spamming the "Proceed" button, or am I screwed?

F#A#Oo

Banned
Oh come on. How poorly the sale of this phone is being handled is beyond staggering.

The Galaxy Nexus wasn't a big seller at all. So based on what evidence did Google have to gauge demand?

Google just didn't expect to have such high demand for a phone. Had they known production would have started much earlier.

Has anyone seen a company work so hard to not take people's money? Google is working overtime to keep people's money away in this situation. Haven't seen anything like it.

def sim

I have a phone in my cart, but keep getting the "Due to high demand" or "Oops we screwed up." messages when I try to proceed to checkout. Do you need to keep spamming the "Proceed" button, or am I screwed?

I did shopping cart -> proceed until it went through.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Due to high demand, your order could not be processed. Please try again later.
&
Oops, we had trouble processing your request. We're working on fixing the issue. Please try again later.

Still staying on the checkout page with the phone in cart, keeps going back and forth with these errors.

I am trying again later.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Holy smokes...didnt think Google can crew up even more. Tried getting a few more, clicked on add to cart and next page get Oops, we had a problem with your request. This has happened at least 10 times for me. I was able to get to the cart twice then got the due to high demand message then my cart got emptied.

The Galaxy Nexus wasn't a big seller at all. So based on what evidence did Google have to gauge demand?

Google just didn't expect to have such high demand for a phone. Had they known production would have started much earlier.

Google could have taken cues from the Nexus 7 launch for starters. They could have instituted preorders. They could have looked at their email notification list. Google clearly didn't and still does not have the basic infrastructure to even handle an even semi-popular launch.

There are no excuses for their completely trash service here. None. Fuck, I'm pissed and I already have the damn phone. They then had two weeks to at least address infrastructure problems from the initial Nexus 4 launch. The first launch also was a very clear indication of demand leading up to this. They clearly were not ready and were better off just delaying further rather than put up devices with a comical 4-5 week wait time.

Wow I can't believe announced this in an email. Should have just opened the store up and sold out a little more quietly.

I am really tempted to sell my 16GB as I just got a shipping notice. With some people not receiving their phones for 4-5 weeks, and most not able to purchase, eBay prices are going to be pretty insane for at least another month I'm guessing. Google is missing out big time on the holidays with this launch. I hope they are doing everything possible to crank out more units.

There is a Nexus 4 on UK ebay now at £500 with 18 or so hours still left on the auction. Crazy that people are paying so much for a phone that counts affordability as one of its main plus points.

Ventron

So I sometimes get it into my cart. When I click Proceed, it either "oops a problem" or "due to high demand". EVERY TIME, it still empties my cart so I have to start again.
Now I can't add it to my cart anymore.

The ineptitude would be legendary, for a startup.
For Google, this is just... wow...

Leucrota

I guess Google could allow you to place an order and give you an estimate shipping date, say 4-8 weeks, but then people would complain about having to wait so long to get the handset.

How does this compare to Galaxy Nexus's launch? If that handset did not sell good out the gate, I doubt Google wanted to sit on a huge number of phones for a long time.

PrePaid and no-contract phones really are not a big thing in America, so Google was taking a big chance doing something so noncomformist in the market. Bet they cant ramp up production fast enough, lol.

Hopefully I will be gainfully employed by Feb/March and hopefully the stock of handsets will stabilize by then.

Edit: Each handset alternates between being sold out and having the ability to add to cart. Seems more like a 'glitch' then the phone actually being sold out. Keep trying it you want it real bad, I would say.

Talon

FFS, why not just allow pre-orders if they're going to give out 4-5 week shipping estimates.
The frustrating experience of the store is more Open. Or something.

I don't know what's stupider - that the store errors out like shit or that they had no order limit for purchasers for the initial sale.

Wow can't believe they fucked it up again.

Google need to spend some of those billions and hire a fucking logistics team not made up of monkeys.

I finally just sold my 4S and posting this from my nexus so this entire migraine inducing experience of getting a new phone is finally over for me.

This bodes well for resale value at least.

My condolences to those who are still trying to get their phone or even order one. Fuck off googly.

mnannola

There is a Nexus 4 on UK ebay now at £500 with 18 or so hours still left on the auction. Crazy that people are paying so much for a phone that counts affordability as one of its main plus points.

My guess is that the Nexus brand has been established pretty well for tech enthusiasts with the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7, and having a stock android experience is worth a premium for a lot of people(myself included). This phone would have sold well at $500, maybe even higher.

tfur

OMG. Google, please hire someone from infrastructure at Amazon to teach you how to handle online transactions. This shit is embarrassing.

My guess is that the Nexus brand has been established pretty well for tech enthusiasts with the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7, and having a stock android experience is worth a premium for a lot of people(myself included). This phone would have sold well at $500, maybe even higher.
I would have never bought this phone for any more than its priced at. Phone manufactures and carriers have been ripping us off big time for years. This is what phones should be priced at. Hopefully it sets a precedent but I'm not holding my breathe. Apple can sell a turd with a bow for $500 and people would buy it (I used to be one of those people and kinda still am)

Blackhead

Redarse
I bet they're kicking themselves for not charging $349/$399 per

Yeah they really should have. Maybe even $399/$499. Their supply system is crapping out exactly like HP's was last year when they put the Touchpad on firesale for $99. I'm betting it's similar mass market demand too. Google could always reduce the price gradually during the year like they did for the Galaxy Nexus.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Well here I am staring at the cart screen and every time I hit proceed get "we had trouble processing your request. we're working on fixing the issue."

twofold

They had them in stock at my local cpw for £389 - why would anyone bother paying £500+?! A lot of dumb people out there with to much money to burn, I guess.

Top Bottom