• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

zoku88

This delay in round 2 for Canada orders has me worried.... perhaps they're secretly removing the LTE chip from the phone before letting us order it? :(

I don't think they have to remove the LTE chip. They could just update the baseband, I think, to disable it.

This delay in round 2 for Canada orders has me worried.... perhaps they're secretly removing the LTE chip from the phone before letting us order it? :(

They're not going to create a second SKU that changes the cellular chipset just for Canada. Don't be silly.

did anyone see if the bumpers went back on sale today? i was so busy just concentrating on the phone i never bothered to check. it's currently "sold out".

Nope. They did not.

rc213

My order from launch day finally shipped today! Free overnight shipping from Louisville, KY to Los Angeles. Small consolation for the wait, I suppose.

Anybody have a case they recommend? I really want the bumper but who knows when it'll be available.

Where in Los Angeles, please be real specific. hehe Congrats.

Anno

Just checked Play for the heck of it, 6-7 week estimate for the 8gb! Goddamn. Glad I got in early on the first batch. Everyone else, don't lose hope! It's a great phone. Maybe Google will actually order more than a couple hundred this time. You would think LG would be rolling more of these off the line.

buhdeh

It'll be a 3 - 5 months shipping estimate by the time it's open for sale in Canada again. Honestly, I'm giving up on this phone if I can't order by Christmas. Just not worth spending all this time waiting on Google to sort out their shit launch.

And shipment confirmation. Easiest thing would be to return my current device to T-Mobile and just taking a $50 hit instead of $150 for restocking. I'll see about the resell market, though. Not sure if I want to get into that game.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Seems like I am receiving my original 8gb tomorrow but the 16gb is nowhere to be found which was ordered before the 8. Think I will sell it and wait for the 16gb. What are the best cases/accessories for this phone?

Seems like Google is basically just doing pre-orders. The shipping estimates have gotten longer it looks like.

8GB is 7-8 weeks.
16GB is 2-3 weeks.

Rhindle

Seems like Google is basically just doing pre-orders. The shipping estimates have gotten longer it looks like.

8GB is 7-8 weeks.
16GB is 2-3 weeks.
Which is what they should have done from the outset. I'm perfectly happy to wait 2-3 weeks for my order.

All they did by shutting off orders after the first batch was allow scalpers to make a killing, cause people had no idea when the phone would be available again.

asdad123

So I managed to get an order in on my phone.

Wooooo. :D

And there's two orders on my account and two charges on my card.

Way to go google -_-

Coming off an iPhone 4 how do I go about transfering over my AT&T service when I get the phone? Will I keep the same package for this phone? Can I downgrade? Basically what are my options now?

WoodWERD

For those that have switched carriers, what do you think about t-mobile so far? Interested in former Sprint users particularly.

Adr1an

Can anyone recommend some good quality cases that are out there

Also Is anyone planning to use this phone without a case?

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Can anyone recommend some good quality cases that are out there

Also Is anyone planning to use this phone without a case?

Yeah wondering about accessories. After hearing stories about cracked glass there is no way I will use it naked. How about insurance? Is there a way to do this?

TehOh

Coming off an iPhone 4 how do I go about transfering over my AT&T service when I get the phone? Will I keep the same package for this phone? Can I downgrade? Basically what are my options now?

Do you still have the unlimited iPhone plan? If so, you need to go into a store and get your data plan reprovisioned to a "smart phone unlimited" plan.

I had trouble trying to do it over the phone, because they don't have the IMEI number for the Nexus 4 in their system. I went to a store and the guy there just switched my plan without the IMEI (just fed in a generic one).

Doesn't extend your contract or anything.

Just plug in the Sim card and away you go.

Didn't work for me. I had service, but my data was locked to edge until I got my data plan fixed.

Do you still have the unlimited iPhone plan? If so, you need to go into a store and get your data plan reprovisioned to a "smart phone unlimited" plan.

I had trouble trying to do it over the phone, because they don't have the IMEI number for the Nexus 4 in their system. I went to a store and the guy there just switched my plan without the IMEI (just fed in a generic one).

Doesn't extend your contract or anything.

Didn't work for me. I had service, but my data was locked to edge until I got my data plan fixed.

Yea I do indeed have the unlimited data plan. I have a store right down the block so if shouldn't be to hard. My wife and I have the family plan.

Going forward, is their anyway switching to this phone could help me cut some costs?

I'm excited for something different as the new iOS update left me feeling pretty high and dry.

WoodWERD

I went from Sprint to T-mobile a few years back. Still with T-mobile FWIW

Good to hear...I had an itchy trigger finger and bought the 16gb before waiting for replies haha. Guess I missed the 2-3 week batch because mine said 4-5.

Just to make sure: I order that 99 cent sim card activation kit, go through the online process and port my number (already confirmed it's eligible), and I should be good to go right? Are there any chances that this GVoice + $5 voip app will get axed? This $30 plan seems too good to be true.

asdad123

Anyone that have an iPhone 5 and this have any impressions/comparisons?

I like the 5, but wanna try something new and have this on order. Just wanna know what to except.

Epic Drop

Good to hear...I had an itchy trigger finger and bought the 16gb before waiting for replies haha. Guess I missed the 2-3 week batch because mine said 4-5.

Just to make sure: I order that 99 cent sim card activation kit, go through the online process and port my number (already confirmed it's eligible), and I should be good to go right? Are there any chances that this GVoice + $5 voip app will get axed? This $30 plan seems too good to be true.

I switched to the 30 Tmobile plan about a year ago and I couldn't be happier. I'll never go back to a contract plan again. Its amazing how much money I save compared to friends and family.

Hieberrr

Anyone that have an iPhone 5 and this have any impressions/comparisons?

I like the 5, but wanna try something new and have this on order. Just wanna know what to except.

Customizable to the fullest.

Also, make sure (if you use Gmail) to set it up and change all the settings to your liking. As a result of insane amounts of ROM flashing on my previous Android phone, changing the settings takes me around 10 seconds, but for someone who may not have done it before it may take 5-10 minutes.

Anywhere to get started for an Android rookie like me?

Want to know what all this ROM flashing who-dads and such are necessary, cool things to look out for, etc. Want some of those sweet designs/themes from the GAF threads here too. Hopefully I can make the most of the customization (at least at a baby's pace for the beginning).

Scheduled to get here Friday (central Canada), mayhaps earlier if I'm lucky.

Hieberrr

Anywhere to get started for an Android rookie like me?

Want to know what all this ROM flashing who-dads and such are necessary, cool things to look out for, etc. Want some of those sweet designs/themes from the GAF threads here too. Hopefully I can make the most of the customization (at least at a baby's pace for the beginning).

Scheduled to get here Friday (central Canada), mayhaps earlier if I'm lucky.

As of right now, there's really no point in flashing anything on the Nexus 4. Now, if you want T9/Smart dialer (dial number or letters and the contact will automatically pop up)m you'll have to wait for AOKP/CyanogenMod or the likes.

Personally, if I'm going stock/vanilla Android, I'll stick with Google's stock for max battery life and stability.

Now, if you want to try something awesome, then go with MIUI (which I would assume will be released for the N4 once it becomes more widely available). MIUI is probably my favourite ROM of all time as it mixes stock android with iOS (and makes it look better than both combined). MIUI is going to be previewed in a week or two, so look out for that.

http://miuiandroid.com/community/ to keep up :)

As of right now, there's really no point in flashing anything on the Nexus 4. Now, if you want T9/Smart dialer (dial number or letters and the contact will automatically pop up)m you'll have to wait for AOKP/CyanogenMod or the likes.

Personally, if I'm going stock/vanilla Android, I'll stick with Google's stock for max battery life and stability.

Now, if you want to try something awesome, then go with MIUI (which I would assume will be released for the N4 once it becomes more widely available). MIUI is probably my favourite ROM of all time as it mixes stock android with iOS (and makes it look better than both combined). MIUI is going to be previewed in a week or two, so look out for that.

http://miuiandroid.com/community/ to keep up :)

Thanks for the heads up. Will keep my eyes open.

MIUI looks pretty awesome too.

Mrbob

Google has failed so badly with the availability of the nexus 4. Hopefully in two months when I'm out of virgin mobile cards the phone will actually be available so I can get it.

What is the last phone launch handled this poorly?

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Google has failed so badly with the availability of the nexus 4. Hopefully in two months when I'm out of virgin mobile cards the phone will actually be available so I can get it.

Not surprisingly I think it was the Galaxy Nexus.

ChanHuk

Banned

Everything Nexus. In fact Google just has shitty customer service all together. Especially when compared to Apple.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Got my Nexus 4 :)
It's currently installing all my apps. I was quite surprised by the effect from the back of the case, it's nicer looking that I thought.

Top Bottom