• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

8GB selling for $600 on ebay in Australia.
LLShC.gif

Chili

Well put it in the hands of people who know how to sell it e.g stores and Amazon

The problem is there is no way Google can sell this so cheaply if they did it through another store as third parties will naturally want their cut as a retailer. Google, as a retailer, is not taking a cut on the Nexus 4 which is why it can be sold so cheaply on the Play Store.

Now of course that doesn't excuse them for this debacle but I'm just saying that if they did go to a third party store we wouldn't have it so cheap most likely.

Google's customer support website is a nightmare.

I wanted to submit an email inquiry about possibly changing my address, since I'm still mildly paranoid about the situation I described earlier. You go through the prompts and it tells you the address cannot be changed once the shipping process has begun. Obviously, that's not even close to happening. So you go through a couple more and it tells you that to change your address, you must cancel your order and reorder the device. It won't even let you send an email request without confirming that you want to cancel your entire order. Obviously, there's no fucking way I'm canceling my order, but since they imply the address can be changed before the shipping process begins, that suggests that it can indeed be changed.

I guess I'll need to call. Anyone talked with Google's phone customer service? Are they helpful? (Probably not.)

EDIT: Based on info from XDA, it looks like it's not worth the bother of calling. I'm just being paranoid, so I'm not genuinely worried.

Kwhit10

I wonder if Google is just now letting everyone order who wants to so they can accurately gauge how many units to make in what type of time frame.

Chili

I guess I'll need to call. Anyone talked with Google's phone customer service? Are they helpful? (Probably not.)

EDIT: Based on info from XDA, it looks like it's not worth the bother of calling. I'm just being paranoid, so I'm not genuinely worried.

I'd give them a call. One thing Google has done right is they have a 24-hour free phoneline which gives you just two options when calling and then straight through to an agent.

derder

Google's customer support website is a nightmare.

I wanted to submit an email inquiry about possibly changing my address, since I'm still mildly paranoid about the situation I described earlier. You go through the prompts and it tells you the address cannot be changed once the shipping process has begun. Obviously, that's not even close to happening. So you go through a couple more and it tells you that to change your address, you must cancel your order and reorder the device. It won't even let you send an email request without confirming that you want to cancel your entire order. Obviously, there's no fucking way I'm canceling my order, but since they imply the address can be changed before the shipping process begins, that suggests that it can indeed be changed.

I had the Nexus 7 sent to the wrong address. The only thing they could do was wait for the order to ship, inform the parcel carrier that the unit was to be returned to sender, and wait 5 days after it was returned to get a refund.

Then I could order a second device.

I had the Nexus 7 sent to the wrong address. The only thing they could do was wait for the order to ship, inform the parcel carrier that the unit was to be returned to sender, and wait 5 days after it was returned to get a refund.

Then I could order a second device.

Try calling UPS to get an address change. Or I think you can signup for their MyChoice thing through UPS and have the shipment be held at one of their distribution facilities for pickup.

If I were to order a Nexus 4 this day, how long do you guys think it would be before they shipped it out?

Assuming you're from the US, it has it listed on the Play Store I think. 7-8 weeks last time I checked for the 8GB version. 4-5 weeks for the 16GB version.

Edit: Those estimates could be conservative of course. Google told a lot of people 3 weeks the first time around and we got shipment in 2.

Assuming you're from the US, it has it listed on the Play Store I think. 7-8 weeks last time I checked for the 8GB version. 4-5 weeks for the 16GB version.

Edit: Those estimates could be conservative of course. Google told a lot of people 3 weeks the first time around and we got shipment in 2.

They said "within 3 weeks", and it ended up being two. The estimates are quite accurate so far. If nothing else, they got that right.

After a week with the phone, I must say it was worth every penny coming from the Galaxy Nexus.

Jeels

So I emailed Google about my order because I needed to change my zip code. When I had purchased the 8gb, I was getting the 6-7 weeks message.

They left a statement that, "According to our records, your order should ship by the evening of January 23."

So yes, the displayed estimated shipping date seems to be real. But the language of the statement (and general business practices), suggest that it could happen earlier. I am hoping I get it at least a week or two earlier and that they are just being conservative in their estimates on when they will get product.

(In response to those asking about the shipping estimates).

January 23? Right before the Mobile World Congress and CES? Yikes

Pfft

Google are amateurs at this. I'm not even going to go down the android route and I'm going back to iOS. The whole experience has soured my thoughts on Google and Android

Hope everyone in this thread gets their phones!

Marco1

Pfft

Google are amateurs at this. I'm not even going to go down the android route and I'm going back to iOS. The whole experience has soured my thoughts on Google and Android

Hope everyone in this thread gets their phones!

This is what happened to me Mecha.
As much as I sold my ip5 and was willing to give google and android a try, the whole launch put me off.
I sold the nexus4 and jumped back to ios and ip5. I won't be making the same mistake again soon.

This is what happened to me Mecha.
As much as I sold my ip5 and was willing to give google and android a try, the whole launch put me off.
I sold the nexus4 and jumped back to ios and ip5. I won't be making the same mistake again soon.

Damn, and you actually got the phone!

I just can't wait around for rumours on forums and spamming refresh buttons on websites. That's not what you're meant to provide your future customers

Once bitten, once shy!

Damn, and you actually got the phone!

I just can't wait around for rumours on forums and spamming refresh buttons on websites. That's not what you're meant to provide your future customers

Once bitten, once shy!

Indeed he did. However, he went back to iOS, because he had invested heavily in that ecosystem already, not because of the phone itself. That's understandable. I've invested heavily in the iOS iPad ecosystem, so I will probably always own one.

Still, this launch is downright sad. I don't think anyone can defend it. It's one thing to be legitimately unable to satisfy demand; it's quite another to not even be able to keep your fulfillment system up and running long enough to allow people to buy the damned thing.

I don't get how you guys could jump back to iOS. I've had my iphone for 3 years and am beyond sick of it and its stale OS.

Let's not derail the thread. If you spent hundreds of dollars on apps, it's kinda hard to walk away -- stale OS or not.

ChanHuk

Banned
I don't get how you guys could jump back to iOS. I've had my iphone for 3 years and am beyond sick of it and its stale OS.

Because in reality all these phones do the same thing, they're app launchers.

My brother got in on the 2-3 week Nexus 4. Now to order him a microsim for T-Mobile.

At least I can go and buy one, that Janurary date scares me!

Ok, to be more productive wats the best thing for me to do right now. Flash a ROM on S3, or to and get a Galaxy Nexus?

I don't know...

Shagwell

Because in reality all these phones do the same thing, they're app launchers.

My brother got in on the 2-3 week Nexus 4. Now to order him a microsim for T-Mobile.

Is it possible to check which time-frame your order made it into? I believe it was 1-2 weeks for me but I'd love to double check that.

Hieberrr

My Google Talk keeps vibrating when the screen is on to notify me of new messages even though I have told it never to vibrate.
Is anyone else having this problem?

hitsugi

I wish Google now worked with exchange accounts.. Or if the gmail app would simply function like exchange did (instant pushed notifications when you get mail)

tfur

Arrived a little bit ago. Did not realize that the g nexus sim card does not fit.

How do these sim cards work. If I get a new mini one, how would I use it again in the g nexus if I needed to? Adapter?

I need to go get one from tmobile tomorrow. I have e old school month to month plan, but I do not know what they will force me to get, plan wise.

Configuring via wifi. Clean looking phone.

Arrived a little bit ago. Did not realize that the g nexus sim card does not fit.

How do these sim cards work. If I get a new mini one, how would I use it again in the g nexus if I needed to? Adapter?

I need to go get one from tmobile tomorrow. I have e old school month to month plan, but I do not know what they will force me to get, plan wise.

Configuring via wifi. Clean looking phone.

I think you can get a special cutter to cut it down to micro-SIM size.

Jeels

I went ahead and purchased the 16 gb just in case since it has like half the wait time. The extra 8 gb isn't worth 50 dollars to me, but getting the phone before my next semester of school starts is.

tfur

I am tempted to just put scissors to this bitch sim, but I need to have my g nexus online.

Oooh, the rounded glass edges... Feels real good man. This was made by cloistered virgins. Explains the limited supply. Not sure if I want to bumper that smoothness away.

Gotta go order a charging pad now.

tfur

This thing is pretty beastly. Multi tasking my ass off, downloading, installing, google music streaming, gtalking, browsing, google mapping. Worthy upgrade from g nexus, especially with the price. Too bad Google screwed up another launch for everybody.

OS update. Got one earlier on g nexus.

tfur

Pretty sure Google now doesn't work outside of the gmail app.. Which is not instant like exchange is

I don't understand what you are saying. Are you using android or iOS? If Android, you add accounts natively. If iOS, you add accounts as exchange accounts.

hitsugi

I don't understand what you are saying. Are you using android or iOS? If Android, you add accounts natively. If iOS, you add accounts as exchange accounts.

My mistske.. 5 years on iOS. I'm on Android but I would swear the gmail app is slower than a natively added one. Am I wrong? I'd love to be. The native email app has push sync, but I don't see that option for the gmail one.

My mistske.. 5 years on iOS. I'm on Android but I would swear the gmail app is slower than a natively added one. Am I wrong? I'd love to be. The native email app has push sync, but I don't see that option for the gmail one.

iirc, gmail does it automatically and email does it when you set up an email with exchange setting.

Leucrota

So everyone realizes they are complaining about what happened at zero-hour on the day of (second) release, right?

You can go to Play Store and put in an order with no problems right now it seems.

Are we really going to slam them for not being about to hold together the Play infrastructure as people sat there spamming their site, eventually making scripts to spam the site which more and more people used as the site slowed down even further??

Get a grip people! I don't see why most people could not have waited a day or two, and instead complain about not being able to get a phone the first second it is available.

So everyone realizes they are complaining about what happened at zero-hour on the day of (second) release, right?

You can go to Play Store and put in an order with no problems right now it seems.

Are we really going to slam them for not being about to hold together the Play infrastructure as people sat there spamming their site, eventually making scripts to spam the site which more and more people used as the site slowed down even further??

Get a grip people! I don't see why most people could not have waited a day or two, and instead complain about not being able to get a phone the first second it is available.

Errr according to who?

The phone is still sold out

Jeels

Nothing you've stated is really an effective argument. If those issues occured on any internet retail giant there'd be even more of an uproar. Google is held to an even higher standard as a tech and internet services company.

Posted from my Nexus S

Top Bottom