• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

So everyone realizes they are complaining about what happened at zero-hour on the day of (second) release, right?

You can go to Play Store and put in an order with no problems right now it seems.

Are we really going to slam them for not being about to hold together the Play infrastructure as people sat there spamming their site, eventually making scripts to spam the site which more and more people used as the site slowed down even further??

Get a grip people! I don't see why most people could not have waited a day or two, and instead complain about not being able to get a phone the first second it is available.

No one knew Goolge would still be taking orders a day later. And yes we are going to slam them for the whole debacle. It is deserved.

Chairhome

Finally got mine. Just started messing with it, but the screen doesn't look as sharp as my One S. Got all my apps loaded on it and gonna test it out tomorrow.

Leucrota

Nothing you've stated is really an effective argument. If those issues occured on any internet retail giant there'd be even more of an uproar. Google is held to an even higher standard as a tech and internet services company.

Posted from my Nexus S

"I couldn't buy something the second it was released so F the company is not a good argument either."

I can't wait to get his handset in Feb/March. My current dumbphone is working too well to justify getting something new as of yet.

rykomatsu

For those that have switched carriers, what do you think about t-mobile so far? Interested in former Sprint users particularly.

My home was in a deadspot for Sprint so I had an airrave. It was usable for the most part, but the occasional lag spike was very annoying. Voice quality on Sprint is better which I believe is due to the higher bandwidth allocated to voice on CDMA.

I'm at about 2−3bars at home with tmobile and get about 13-15mbps down. GrooveIP on cellular works great, but in any areas without HSPA 42, I have to use cellular voice instead of VoIP. Wimax is joke compared to this.

Overall very satisfied thus far. I wish the higher bandwidth was more consistent coverage-wise, but at $50/mo or less, I can live with the slight inconvenience...I might give FreedomPop a shot for areas with lower quality signal...

Note that I'm using Solavei which is a t-mobile MVNO.

rc213

First somewhat full day, 9 hrs on with 3 hrs 42 mins screen time 15% left was charged to 93%. Lots of heavy use setting up the phone and playing games. Feels much better in my hand than the Galaxy S3 did.

Few things I would like to see improved.

I don't like having to tap twice to save a word to the dictionary. Wish the dictionary was saved and carried over/backed up. I really need quick controls on chrome, This would be fucking awesome. A few other thing that escape my mind, I will get back to you guys.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
All of the bitter tears in this thread are from people I've never seen post in an Android thread. You can all fuck right off back to iOS. Yes, the launch sucks but it sucks because of you. Google should have allowed only those who previously owned a Nexus device to get first dibs. Would have been the best way to go about this whole ordeal.

That said, my phone is finally delivered. And my family in the US just shipped it to me in Germany. Phew.

gamma

All of the bitter tears in this thread are from people I've never seen post in an Android thread. You can all fuck right off back to iOS. Yes, the launch sucks but it sucks because of you. Google should have allowed only those who previously owned a Nexus device to get first dibs. Would have been the best way to go about this whole ordeal.

That said, my phone is finally delivered. And my family in the US just shipped it to me in Germany. Phew.

wow

Blablurn

:lol

whitehawk

Banned

Seriously? I don't post in this thread often, but I've never owned a smartphone before. What about me?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Seriously? I don't post in this thread often, but I've never owned a smartphone before. What about me?

There are good Xbox 360 bundles you could upgrade your PS2 from.

Posted from my iPad

twofold

I can't tell if this is a joke post or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i41qWJ6QjPI

I can't tell if this is a joke post or not.

it's not.

Marco1

Cool!
Now I wonder what my wife is making for dinner tonight?

Word. Nothing against other users but the only reason so many people are going ga-ga over the N4 is the price tag. If it was priced similarly to the Gnex at launch, there wouldn't be so many people whining about the stock issues.

That said, there is still no news on stock availability in Australia. At least you guys in the US can place your orders.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I couldn't take anymore so I rushed home and put my TV in the house. I brought the Nexus 4 with me...tempted to open but I'm going to sell it. I receive the 16GB today.

Chili

After hassling Google to send me the shipping labels that should have come with the replacement phone, they finally turned up today. Rather than simply emailing them, the labels themselves were couriered with TNT.

Oh, and the intended delivery address is Asus. Smh.

Vyer

All the sudden I'm in the Gizmodo comments section.

Bboy AJ

God, I want to buy one for my missus for Christmas, but the damn thing is SOLD OUT on German play store all the damn time!
I am planning on using my N4 but with its rarity in Germany, I wonder if I can sell it for an incredibly unfair price.

Bboy AJ: "Go back to your Blackberry then."

I am planning on using my N4 but with its rarity in Germany, I wonder if I can sell it for an incredibly unfair price.

You post a nice rant about Android newbie leeches, then turn around and announce your intention to be a reselling d-bag? Masterful troll, good sir.

Yeah, thinking about just returning the device to T-Mobile for a refund and taking the $50 hit. It'd be like paying $400 for the phone, which I could live with.

Don't really feel like dealing with eBay, Craigslist, etc.

Bboy AJ

You post a nice rant about Android newbie leeches, then turn around and announce your intention to be a reselling d-bag? Masterful troll, good sir.
I never planned on selling it. But it's hard turning down $800 for the phone when I already have a Note to wait out the shortage. Ah, who am I kidding, I know I'll end up keeping the N4.

tfur

So does Tmobile have any perks for people with old plans. I have had the old "Even more plus" 500 talk, and unlimited everything else monthly plan for years. The data when you check the account always says 0 mb transferred.

I got a call a while back from them, wanting me to change the plan, but I have not got around to doing it.

Ocho

Is there a way to nominate this as the worst post 2012?

Jeels

Well now that the thread has been thoroughly derailed...

Any new impressions considering people from the first wave have been getting their phones?

Also any new accessories out, from third parties? Going to need to find a case I like eventually.

Any new impressions considering people from the first wave have been getting their phones?

Also any new accessories out, from third parties? Going to need to find a case I like eventually.

I've posted many impressions in this thread, and they remain largely unchanged. I actually love the phone more and more every day. I saw my Galaxy Nexus in my drawer today, and I literally LOL'd at it, remembering how terribly it ran in comparison.

As for accessories, there are a few cases out there, but the good stuff is coming in December, including the same Cruzerlite TPU case that I used with my GNex, which I adored.

For now, I'm using the bumper and a folio case.

My home was in a deadspot for Sprint so I had an airrave. It was usable for the most part, but the occasional lag spike was very annoying. Voice quality on Sprint is better which I believe is due to the higher bandwidth allocated to voice on CDMA.

I'm at about 2−3bars at home with tmobile and get about 13-15mbps down. GrooveIP on cellular works great, but in any areas without HSPA 42, I have to use cellular voice instead of VoIP. Wimax is joke compared to this.

Overall very satisfied thus far. I wish the higher bandwidth was more consistent coverage-wise, but at $50/mo or less, I can live with the slight inconvenience...I might give FreedomPop a shot for areas with lower quality signal...

Note that I'm using Solavei which is a t-mobile MVNO.

That's who I'm going with. I hope it works out, but if not, well, that's the beauty of prepaid.

I just got my phone on Tuesday (from a local Tmobile shop). I'm coming from a Nexus One. So far, I'm liking it-- it's speedy, pretty and I'm getting fantastic download speeds here in NYC. Some of JB is taking some getting used to, but it's all fairly intuitive. I'm missing dock notifications (are these all the way gone in JB?). I will say that while the device is light and sleek, it still feels huge to me. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I would love for Google to do a Nexus Mini one of these days. Oh, and battery life seems a little spotty, but I have been using the N4 somewhat heavily in downloading tons of apps, transferring files and data back into the phone, etc, so that might have something to do with it.

Oh, and I ordered this neoprene sleeve (others have said the One X is about the same size): http://shop.htcpedia.com/htc-one-x-neoprene-pouch.html

That's who I'm going with. I hope it works out, but if not, well, that's the beauty of prepaid.

That does sound interesting. The only benefit seems to be the ability to earn referrals, though, as I already pay $50 for my plan and never go over the 450 minutes or 2GB 4g data. Maybe once my contract gets closer to expiring.

Wonder if they support porting too.

That does sound interesting. The only benefit seems to be the ability to earn referrals, though, as I already pay $50 for my plan and never go over the 450 minutes or 2GB 4g data. Maybe once my contract gets closer to expiring.

Wonder if they support porting too.

I'm on the cusp on 2GB often enough that I'd rather go with Solavei's 4GB cap than T-Mo's 2GB cap. That's my primary motivation. I'm not all that interested in the referral system, though if I do refer a few and get a discount, that's cool.

Again, I can refer anyone who's interested, but I'm not going to start posting the link publicly. I've already seen tons of Solavei customers spamming up messages boards and comment sections and it's pretty annoying.

abuC

It's just a phone, settle down.

Bboy AJ

Is there a way to nominate this as the worst post 2012?
I just reread it and it's perfect. It's written after I haven't been on GAF in days. I come back to find pages and pages of crybabies who I've never seen in an Android thread. The posts and posts of "I'm not buying this anymore! Fuck you, Google!" are so ridiculous. They're only buying this phone because of the price. Give me a break with the feigned heartbreak.

Jeels

I just reread it and it's perfect. It's written after I haven't been on GAF in days. I come back to find pages and pages of crybabies who I've never seen in an Android thread. The posts and posts of "I'm not buying this anymore! Fuck you, Google!" are so ridiculous. They're only buying this phone because of the price. Give me a break with the feigned heartbreak.

Consumers make purchasing decisions based off price value and customer service?

Get out of here!

Bboy AJ

Consumers make purchasing decisions based off price value and customer service?

Get out of here!
No, it's more like the "I'm not buying this phone anymore rage!" posts are just false threats.

Top Bottom