• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Shambles

Their crying is almost as bad as your elitism.

Nah, couldn't possibly be worse than the small group of people who can't get it past their brain that we live in a society of limited resources. Sure it was handled poorly but at the end of the day all those people are just crying crocodile tears because they didn't get a phone. Grow up people.
Still waiting for one as well :(

maharg

idspispopd
The weird thing to me about Google and their handling of this stuff among others is how poorly they treat international customers. Which is dumb, because Google Now seems practically made for travellers. They could easily be marketing Android as the worldly OS but they don't really give a shit about markets outside the US.

The weird thing to me about Google and their handling of this stuff among others is how poorly they treat international customers. Which is dumb, because Google Now seems practically made for travellers. They could easily be marketing Android as the worldly OS but they don't really give a shit about markets outside the US.

The Galaxy Nexus launch catered to the International market almost exclusively. It launched there a month before the US, and it was the only way to get a GSM (true Nexus) model. This time, they tried a more global approach, but they're definitely giving more stock to the US.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
For those looking for cases, etc, here's a fairly comprehensive thread on xda: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1968713

I like using my phones naked but I may be open to a cheaper bumper. I don't want to cover up the glass backing. My main issue with having a bumper is ruining the edge slanted glass. Opinions, bumper owners?

For those looking for cases, etc, here's a fairly comprehensive thread on xda: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1968713

I like using my phones naked but I may be open to a cheaper bumper. I don't want to cover up the glass backing. My main issue with having a bumper is ruining the edge slanted glass. Opinions, bumper owners?

With the bumper on, you lose the edge slanted aspect entirely.

However, trust me, this phone feels like a wet bar of soap naked. Without the bumper, it's easy to lose your grip on it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
With the bumper on, you lose the edge slanted aspect entirely.

However, trust me, this phone feels like a wet bar of soap naked. Without the bumper, it's easy to lose your grip on it.

Have you held an iPhone 4/4S? How does it compare? That wasn't too bad and I would think the plastic edges of the N4 would make it even easier to hold. Although the phone is bigger than an iPhone.

I'll probably get a bumper.

Have you held an iPhone 4/4S? How does it compare? That wasn't too bad and I would think the plastic edges of the N4 would make it even easier to hold. Although the phone is bigger than an iPhone.

I'll probably get a bumper.

Yes, I've held and used an iPhone 4s.

As you suggested, the size (and shape) makes the difference here.

The iPhone 4/4s was a baby-sized phone, by comparison. So, it was easy to get a complete, firm grip on the entire thing. It was also brick-like with flat sides and a metal band. The N4, on the other hand, is much more rounded and smooth.

maharg

idspispopd
The Galaxy Nexus launch catered to the International market almost exclusively. It launched there a month before the US, and it was the only way to get a GSM (true Nexus) model. This time, they tried a more global approach, but they're definitely giving more stock to the US.

Still not available for the silly preorder purchase thing you can do in the US in Canada.

But there are other things. They haven't really pushed making Google Wallet available outside the US either. Or Google Voice (even though the service it was based on was available outside the US). The Galaxy Nexus *never* went back on sale in Canada through Play after the court cases in the US, even though afaik they never had a reason to take it down to begin with.

I can see that they *want* the Nexus phones to be available worldwide, but it still seems like an afterthought. Just like everything they do that has any kind of regional requirements.

mackattk

Added that poetic hard case on my wishlist. I have a poetic case for my samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0 that I love. For $7 I can't go wrong.

KillGore

I swear google is trolling me

I'm from Puerto Rico and I "purchased" the phone (so I could give it to my GF for Christmas) on the google play store, a few minutes pass and I get an email from Google:
ibfWZD4Ws2KwpB.png

But thing is, it's not a P.O. Box, it's the mailbox from my house...

I tried to contact google but when I click the "devices" link, I get this.

As you can see, nothing loads up. I've tried it with multiple browsers, on different computers and still nothing.

When I click the "Contacting Us" link at the bottom of the page I get to a page where they can call me to see what's the problem but the only way to submit the problem is to choose the "product", but when I click it, there is no option to pick something, so it doesn't let me submit it.

Oh and

It just frustrates me because I bought accessories for the phone right after I (thought that I) bought it. lol

cube444

No, it's more like the "I'm not buying this phone anymore rage!" posts are just false threats.

False threats? I know a lot of people who are moving on and looking at other phones including myself. Who wants to wait 6-8 weeks for a phone that you still can't order. :lol

Bboy AJ

For those contemplating a move from the Galaxy S3, here's a really in depth comparison video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D30vBWCWCnI

False threats? I know a lot of people who are moving on and looking at other phones including myself. Who wants to wait 6-8 weeks for a phone that you still can't order. :lol

Then go buy another phone instead of 'looking at' them. They're there right now. Who wants to wait 6-8 weeks for a phone you can't order makes no sense. People do it all the time. I mean, upgrading phones, should I wait? are a popular thread on GAF. I wait. Many wait. Especially for those of us who waited for the Nexus 4 before we even knew the name.

Blackhead

Redarse
Still not available for the silly preorder purchase thing you can do in the US in Canada.

But there are other things. They haven't really pushed making Google Wallet available outside the US either. Or Google Voice (even though the service it was based on was available outside the US). The Galaxy Nexus *never* went back on sale in Canada through Play after the court cases in the US, even though afaik they never had a reason to take it down to begin with.

I can see that they *want* the Nexus phones to be available worldwide, but it still seems like an afterthought. Just like everything they do that has any kind of regional requirements.
The Galaxy Nexus was never on sale in the Canada Play store. Probably because every major carrier in Canada, from Rogers to Wind, had been advertising and selling the Galaxy Nexus since last year.

maharg

idspispopd
The Galaxy Nexus was never on sale in the Canada Play store. Probably because every major carrier in Canada, from Rogers to Wind, had been advertising and selling the Galaxy Nexus since last year.

Well, same difference in the end. All I know is I had to buy it off kijiji.

Blackhead

Redarse
Well, same difference in the end. All I know is I had to buy it off kijiji.
Well not really. I'm saying that Google got the Galaxy Nexus officially on all major carriers in Canada which Google couldn't pull off for the US. There were advertisements for the Canadian Galaxy Nexus everywhere before Verizon even started selling it in the US. My point is that Google's international support isn't the best but I don't think it's because they intentionally want to leave Canadians in the dust.

Leucrota

Thanks for the post. Now I have an idea of what I can get when I get the handset. Really love those leather flip cases.

If Cell Helmet made a clear case for the Nexus 4, there is not question I would go with that. I can always hope..

maharg

idspispopd
I don't think they intend to, and I'm pretty sure I made that clear. I said that the international market is an after-thought, not some evil plan. I really doubt they had to work hard to get the carriers to take a new Samsung phone, and there are no pure CDMA carriers in Canada anymore so the Verizon situation the US had was a non-factor here.

Selling through carriers or not, I'd still have rathered buying it from Google directly.

Bboy AJ

I'm in no rush to buy any phone.

Just saying that Google has fucked up large so I can see why people are pissed.

Oh, I know people are pissed and I completely understand why. But the 'I'm not buying the phone now!' posts are nonsense, especially for those who are mainly interested in the phone because of the price.

I hope Google does better in the future. If they have a Chromebook Nexus, maybe they'll be able to handle the orders better. Just kidding. No one wants to buy a Chromebook.

I find the N4 less slippery to hold than my 4S. The plastic rubbery band on the sides provide really decent grip. The back does seem more slippery when placing on a table especially I don't remember my 4S sliding so easily on a smooth surface. I've never dropped a phone ever so not really pressed about it.

DXPett1

Got fed up with Google Play after hearing nothing for us Aussies (or basically anyone not in the US) and ordered from a grey importer in Hong Kong. No guarantee even if the Play Store opens up today that it will ship in 2012 so I am better of this way. Only 20 bucks more than the Play Store price

blueICE

Banned
Got fed up with Google Play after hearing nothing for us Aussies (or basically anyone not in the US) and ordered from a grey importer in Hong Kong. No guarantee even if the Play Store opens up today that it will ship in 2012 so I am better of this way. Only 20 bucks more than the Play Store price

Which grey importer ? Woodhouse ?

That's $44 more

3,580.00 HKD = 443.057 AUD

tfur

Went and got a sim card. Transferred to the new one.

Smooth phone. Ordered a lg charge pad, and a pouch case.

Hieberrr

My phone has been stuck in Windsor all day. Boo

In due time! If it's in Windows it means 2 more days. I hate the wait from Concord, like you know it's so close yet they delivery it to your house like 6 hours after it goes out for delivery. I remember sitting at home in anticipation only to find out the UPS guy never knocked and just left it outside my door.

Any leads on good Qi Charge Pads at reasonable prices?

Would love for Google to have the charge orb out this year, but considering we haven't heard much of anything that seems unreasonable.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I guess it's safe to say that as a Canadian, getting one for Christmas will be impossible.

Ugh.

I really don't want a S3.

The price on the woodhouse site for the 16gb nexus 4 is $3580(HKD) and that converts to $462.00(USA). Isn't the Playstore price $350.00 for the 16GB?

This place isn't much of a deal.
Same as browsing ebay(ripoff).

wario

is there a way to only display contacts with phone numbers? i can't seem to find that option in the contact settings.

edit: nm, just realized the contacts tab in the dialer is different than the people app and does this by default

Anno

What was your last phone? How does the screen compare?

Coming from an iPhone 5 here. I think the screen is really nice, though maybe not quite as vibrant as the iPhone. Or maybe I was just able to keep the brightness higher on the iPhone without battery issues. I've always been partial to LCD, though, so if you really need AMOLED-like color saturation it might be disappointing.

It might sound crazy, but the best thing about the screen to me is how it feels. Everything is rounded just perfectly.

cube444

The price on the woodhouse site for the 16gb nexus 4 is $3580(HKD) and that converts to $462.00(USA). Isn't the Playstore price $350.00 for the 16GB?

This place isn't much of a deal.
Same as browsing ebay(ripoff).

Not really. For us Canadians in Toronto it would have cost us $425 after tax/shipping from Google.

That site shows $497 after shipping and they can probably save you tax by "showing" a $50 or $100 value on the phone.

So that takes it to $503.50 - $510.

Top Bottom