• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Hieberrr

If anyone is looking for some awesome Task apps, I found two:

1. NoNonsense Notes
bHlqktwLMyjm9v4biqD6eSSJvlPw2OYQnOpOOopwIQH3I0pjGA-PPBsDRFOfqfVszw

2. Tasks
DtFKNQ741o-h5wf_OAHAl6CoQE1wa1wFq90eqXktVx1KAbkPndXlvz3jmDM4Dch1USA

Both are really similar and both are really awesome. If you want just want this on your phone, then NoNonsense is better (since it's free). If you want to use this on a tablet (e.g., Nexus 7) and your phone, then Tasks is better (since it has a tablet version).

Hieberrr

This review makes the feel like the screen and camera are lacking. Maybe I'll go with the Note 2.

The screen is awesome!

The camera is decent. I came from a Galaxy S, so it's definitely a huge improvement. Is it the best? Nah son. It'll do (I have a point and shoot and a micro 4/3 for actual picture taking).

The review is being really nitpicky. If you actually care enough to nitpick the little details, then the S3 or iPhone 5 > this :p

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
In due time! If it's in Windows it means 2 more days. I hate the wait from Concord, like you know it's so close yet they delivery it to your house like 6 hours after it goes out for delivery. I remember sitting at home in anticipation only to find out the UPS guy never knocked and just left it outside my door.

LOL. Yeah sometimes I wish you could just pick it up. My WiiU was stuck in scarborough all weekend. Wish I could have just driven there to pick it up from the facility.

Yea, I wanted the Nexus 4 a lot when I saw the videos before it came out.
I waited until release day and since then its been a major shit storm.
But I'm lucky because in that time the HTC Droid DNA/J butterfly has been released. Way better phone, and the J butterfly has an SD card and a 1080p display. I'm going for that.
My desire for the Nexus 4 has disappeared.

aznpxdd

But I'm lucky because in that time the HTC Droid DNA/J butterfly has been released. Way better phone, and the J butterfly has an SD card and a 1080p display. I'm going for that.

Really 2 different phones...

Terrible battery life + Sense = I'm sticking with Nexus 4.

Really 2 different phones...

Terrible battery life + Sense = I'm sticking with Nexus 4.

Clearly you haven't read much about the phone or the new sence 4+.
I also hate sence myself but from all the battery tests I have read and the reviews of sence 4+ it sounds like it runs really smooth, smother than or same as native android 4.2 and better battery life than using a 3rd party launcher such as APEX or NOVA.

I am using a Desire HD now with a custom 4.1 rom and non sence. But it really seems that the new sence 4+ is damn good from user impressions.

F#A#Oo

Banned

SD Card is a good point. Not too sure 1080p on a phone is technically all that great.

Outside of that though any major innovation will be software related. Being on a Nexus 4 you future-proof yourself at least for the next 2 years.

HTC are terrible at sending updates. They literally only care about the phone they released 3-6 months ago. After they screwed Desire HD owners over and various other phone model owners even later released phones over ICS it's pretty easy to ignore them.

Anno

why nexus 4
did you get rid of the 5?

I only got the 5 because they offered me a super early upgrade. Like 5 months after my last contract. Wanted to give iOS another try. I love the hardware, just can't take how archaic the software feels after WP and now Android. The iPhone is currently boxed up, gonna try to Craigslist it this weekend. I guess if anyone is on AT&T and is interested let me know!

HTC are terrible at sending updates. They literally only care about the phone they released 3-6 months ago. After they screwed Desire HD owners over and various other phone model owners even later released phones over ICS it's pretty easy to ignore them.
This is true. I have an Incredible 2 for work and it's still on Gingerbread. Pathetic.

DrFurbs

So i have to keep refreshing the Play site to see if the Nexus phones in stock? Why cant they just take a payment and ship when inventory is in?

God!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So i have to keep refreshing the Play site to see if the Nexus phones in stock? Why cant they just take a payment and ship when inventory is in?

God!

Yeah this seems like the worst way to launch something that's supposed to compete with the iPhone. Apple never has that phone in stock at the start, but they'll still let you pre-order one to be shipped out in a month or so. Can Google just not make the stock or something? I genuinely don't know what the reason behind frustrating people like this is.

Chairhome

I'm a little disappointed in the phone so far. Coming from an HTC one s, the screen on the n4 seems worse. Colors are not as vibrant and it does not look as sharp. The camera seems worse as well, though it could just seem that way when viewing pics on this screen. Battery life is not as good either. Everything else the phone is fine. I'll probably root and see how the battery life is after some tweaking.

Hieberrr

Holy hell, what is going in with my battery? In the first week it would only lose 1-2% on standby every hour or two, but it just lost 3% in an hour without much (like no) usage.

Edit: 5-6% a few minutes later from replying to this thread.

Dafuq.

Chairhome

Holy hell, what is going in with my battery? In the first week it would only lose 1-2% on standby every hour or two, but it just lost 3% in an hour without much (like no) usage.

Edit: 5-6% a few minutes later from replying to this thread.

Dafuq.

Yeah, I lost 20% this morning from listening to a podcast for an hour. Not even streaming it, it was stored on my phone already. Hoping for improved battery life after I root it :-(.

Has anyone tried using an app to change their ppi on this phone? I used to use one on my old phone, might try it again.

Hieberrr

Yeah, I lost 20% this morning from listening to a podcast for an hour. Not even streaming it, it was stored on my phone already. Hoping for improved battery life after I root it :-(.

Has anyone tried using an app to change their ppi on this phone? I used to use one on my old phone, might try it again.
I hope this isn't an early sign of battery damage or whatever it may be :S

VoxPop

Aren't smart phone batteries shit anyway?

Just root and set cpu whenever the screen is off.

Not really. The GS3, iPhone, and Lumia all have great batteries.

Sounds like the battery in this is almost as bad as the Galaxy Nexus but this time its not even removable. Are there any other glaring issues?

buhdeh

I wonder if I'll get my "4-5 week" US order before they even re-open this to Canadians. Hopefully most of the 1-2 week people got taken care of already.

Talon

Sounds like the battery in this is almost as bad as the Galaxy Nexus but this time its not even removable. Are there any other glaring issues?
Well, hopefully someone will make a Mophie-style case for this. Fat chance until we get some shipment numbers.

Not even close. My N4 lasts way longer than my GNex. By 11pm every day, my GNex would often be at 4%. Now, it's pretty common for me to go to bed with 30%+ left on my N4 with the same usage.

I hope this isn't an early sign of battery damage or whatever it may be :S

Doubtful. 4.2 has been a bit underbaked by all accounts. There are reports of the N7 battery life also taking a hit. There's a bug with deep sleep.

Chairhome

Nah. My biggest issues as I stated before were the battery and the screen. I don't understand my screen issue as the resolution is supposed to be way better on this than my one S. I'll have to play with it some more.

Doubtful. 4.2 has been a bit underbaked by all accounts. There are reports of the N7 battery life also taking a hit. There's a bug with deep sleep.

Android seems to have this battery draining bug pretty frequently. Not sure what's the reason.

I believe there was another big where Android OS would drain everything with 3.2 too.

VoxPop

Not even close. My N4 lasts way longer than my GNex. By 11pm every day, my GNex would often be at 4%. Now, it's pretty common for me to go to bed with 30%+ left on my N4 with the same usage.

I guess that's not too bad. Not sure if my old GNEX was buggy but it would literally die after about 2.5 hours of screen time on the oem samsung extended battery. I was thinking of getting one of these for my younger cousin for xmas but if the battery issues (and apparently the screen?) are this bad, I guess I'll hold off and maybe pick him up something else instead.

JordanKZ

4.2 has a tonne of location based stuff. Go see how much Maps keeps your phone awake. It's staggering. Turn all that stuff off and Google Now becomes fairly useless though..! :(

In other news, I ordered a Nexus 4 yesterday morning on contract from o2 (yes, I'm a dumb fuck, but I had an upgrade to use). Be here by Tuesday :)

I guess that's not too bad. Not sure if my old GNEX was buggy but it would literally die after about 2.5 hours of screen time on the oem samsung extended battery. I was thinking of getting one of these for my younger cousin for xmas but if the battery issues (and apparently the screen?) are this bad, I guess I'll hold off and maybe pick him up something else instead.

I often get about 3hr+ using 3G only on my N4 with medium-to-heavy usage. I would say that's been the average for me.

If I use WiFi at all, that number gets much larger. I used WiFi only for the entire day once, and I got about 4 and a half hours with heavy usage. I'm not sure why the 3G is such a battery hog; in my GNex, it was the opposite.

Edit: Actually, give me a bit and I'll post my first week battery test (using 3G only). Then, I'll post my 20% 3G, 80% WiFi run.

Chairhome

I often get about 3hr+ using 3G only on my N4 with medium-to-heavy usage. I would say that's been the average for me.

If I use WiFi at all, that number gets much larger. I used WiFi only for the entire day once, and I got about 4 and a half hours with heavy usage. I'm not sure why the 3G is such a battery hog; in my GNex, it was the opposite.

Edit: Actually, give me a bit and I'll post my first week battery test (using 3G only). Then, I'll post my 20% 3G, 80% WiFi run.

My battery stats right now:
48% after being on 4h41m
23% screen (1h 6m)
17% Voice Calls (18m)
12% Android OS (CPU total 13m, keep awake 17m)
10% Mediaserver (CPU 8m, Keep awake 27m)
7% Maps
7% Podkicker

I would say this is moderate use. My One S would be lasting much better. Similar use would have me at high 60% on my One S...

Anyone who has rooted. What ROMs are the most stable/mature? I'm probably going to change ROMs. I like AOSP, but I miss some CM10 functions. Is CM10 pretty good on here?

Emily Chu

Banned
If anyone is looking for some awesome Task apps, I found two:

1. NoNonsense Notes
bHlqktwLMyjm9v4biqD6eSSJvlPw2OYQnOpOOopwIQH3I0pjGA-PPBsDRFOfqfVszw

2. Tasks
DtFKNQ741o-h5wf_OAHAl6CoQE1wa1wFq90eqXktVx1KAbkPndXlvz3jmDM4Dch1USA

Both are really similar and both are really awesome. If you want just want this on your phone, then NoNonsense is better (since it's free). If you want to use this on a tablet (e.g., Nexus 7) and your phone, then Tasks is better (since it has a tablet version).

why are the check boxes on the left ?

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

edit -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bhsoft.checklist&feature=also_installed

nvm

VoxPop

Sweet, thanks man.

Top Bottom