• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

black_13

Banned
Damn I just realized I can get a used S3 16gb in good condition for $400 compared to the 16 Nexus 4 for $388 all in.

Only downside seems to be 1 gb ram in S3 vs. 2 gb in Nexus. Is this that big of a deal?
On the other hand I want more storage so S3 can do that and I can get this this week as opposed to waiting for Nexus 4 stock.

I'm confused now. Any advice?

Damn I just realized I can get a used S3 16gb in good condition for $400 compared to the 16 Nexus 4 for $388 all in.

Only downside seems to be 1 gb ram in S3 vs. 2 gb in Nexus. Is this that big of a deal?
On the other hand I want more storage so S3 can do that and I can get this this week as opposed to waiting for Nexus 4 stock.

I'm confused now. Any advice?

US S3 or Intl. S3?

Under Gingerbread with Touchwiz, I liked the thing where you can drag the unlock button to an SMS icon and it would take you straight to your most recent unread text message. Anyway to do this on 4.2 while retaining the aesthetic of the unlock screen? Do you have to use third party unlock screens?

Know of any good unlock screen widgets to turn wifi/data on/off?

Hieberrr

rabhw

Someone out there really doesn't want me to get this thing.

First Google accidentally cancels my order, and now my order that I DID manage to get through has been "out for delivery today" since 8am this morning. It's 4:45 and hope is fading fast ;__;. I've never had UPS deliver anything later than 2:30, although technically they say they deliver as late as 7pm.

I'm pretty sure that's just bullshit they feed you so you can hold on hope until the end of the day before they close up shop and no one is available to tell you why your package wasn't delivered :(

GIVE ME HOPE GAF.

First Google accidentally cancels my order, and now my order that I DID manage to get through has been "out for delivery today" since 8am this morning. It's 4:45 and hope is fading fast ;__;. I've never had UPS deliver anything later than 2:30, although technically they say they deliver as late as 7pm.

I'm pretty sure that's just bullshit they feed you so you can hold on hope until the end of the day before they close up shop and no one is available to tell you why your package wasn't delivered :(

GIVE ME HOPE GAF.
They come late sometimes. UPS arrived with my order at like 6:30pm - 7pm yesterday. It was out for delivery since 5ish am.

rc213

GIVE ME HOPE GAF.

I've had UPS shows up near 8pm! HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Just got my order from XtremeGuard, $4 for the back and front and they thew in a extra front. Wet install was super easy, Looks and feels just like the Zaggs. I did one on a Galaxy Nexus and it looks snazzy after it cured, Hoping it goes well here too.

Anyone know anything about a HDMI cable for this phone? I am only seeing one cable on eBay for $50. =[

Hieberrr

I've had UPS shows up near 8pm! HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Just got my order from XtremeGuard, $4 for the back and front and they thew in a extra front. Wet install was super easy, Looks and feels just like the Zaggs. I did one on a Galaxy Nexus and it looks snazzy after it cured, Hoping it goes well here too.

Anyone know anything about a HDMI cable for this phone? I am only seeing one cable on eBay for $50. =[
Check monoprice.

UUUGHH I saw the display phone at my local T Mobile today. THEY HAD NONE IN STOCK BUT THE DISPLAY PHONE WAS HAPPILY OUT FOR PEOPLE TO TRY!!!

RAGE!!!

I would have taken that display phone easily. It was still the functional phone. :(

rando14

Hey guys I'm interested in this phone and I was wondering if anyone here is using it with the T Mobile $30 a month plan. Is the mobile data fast, call quality good, service good etc? If it helps I live in the Seattle area. Thanks for anyone who can help!

rabhw

Oh Google.

Package arrived. Nexus 4 is amazing....

Nexus 10's box seals were broken, both of them cut. Called Google to set up an RMA. I paid for a new device not someone's iffy return.

Such a joke.

GIVE ME HOPE GAF.
around this time of year, there are a lot more deliveries.

I know it's probably been done to death on here, but man, the constant whining by tech sites about the lack of LTE is really obnoxious.

I think Google's decision to exclude LTE makes perfect sense. LTE on GSM is half-baked, and Verizon and Sprint are dicks when it comes to software updates.

This phone is pretty slick. Snappy too. Liking it thus far. Proper love the look, especially the back. Hopefully it survives until my case comes in.

Kibbles

Got my micro sim cutter in the mail today :3 Ready for Monday. (Well hopefully Monday... UPS has yet to update.)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I know it's probably been done to death on here, but man, the constant whining by tech sites about the lack of LTE is really obnoxious.

I think Google's decision to exclude LTE makes perfect sense. LTE on GSM is half-baked, and Verizon and Sprint are dicks when it comes to software updates.

It makes total sense. The alternative, another VZ GNex, at best, is ridiculous and sours the Nexus brand.

Yeah and if you're in a TMo HSPA 42 area, you're even better off. I ran a speed test and I'm getting around 17-20 Mbps. Heck my home internet connection is at about 20Mbps if not a bit faster.

So for me true LTE doesn't really matter.

njean777

Unless you are Apple, ZING. Google really should have went the apple route and demanded that all carriers have to let them and only them release updates for their OS. I know they want it to be open, but it hurts only the customer when the carriers will not allow a company to update software on your smartphone.

Cyrillus

Finally got my AT&T StraightTalk Sim card. Getting about 5-6Mbps down, 350kbps up. Nothing crazy, but also much better than Sprint's 100k down 50k up in my area.

Weird enough, the Speedtest app doesn't seem to work for me. Keeps defaulting to Tulsa, OK (I live in VT) and giving me 6k download speeds, or erroring out. Judging from Google play reviews other nexus 4 owners have been having this issue, but clearly not all of them.

Finally got my AT&T StraightTalk Sim card. Getting about 5-6Mbps down, 350kbps up. Nothing crazy, but also much better than Sprint's 100k down 50k up in my area.

Weird enough, the Speedtest app doesn't seem to work for me. Keeps defaulting to Tulsa, OK (I live in VT) and giving me 6k download speeds, or erroring out. Judging from Google play reviews other nexus 4 owners have been having this issue, but clearly not all of them.
Yeah it puts me to distant servers too. But I was able to change the default location with no issues.

Cyrillus

Yeah it puts me to distant servers too. But I was able to change the default location with no issues.
Yeah I was able to get it to show me the right location by starting the app while on wifi, and setting the location that way (otherwise Chicago, IL was the closest server it would show me), but it still errors out or the needle doesn't move for the download test, then after a few seconds it says "6kbps down" and moves on to the upload test, which works with varying results.

testmy.net gives me a consistent 5-6Mbps down 350-500kbps up.

Yeah and if you're in a TMo HSPA 42 area, you're even better off. I ran a speed test and I'm getting around 17-20 Mbps. Heck my home internet connection is at about 20Mbps if not a bit faster.

So for me true LTE doesn't really matter.

Yeah, the only thing that's significantly worse than LTE for me is the upstream. I only get 1-2Mbps. Not that I do much uploading from my phone though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Unless you are Apple, ZING. Google really should have went the apple route and demanded that all carriers have to let them and only them release updates for their OS. I know they want it to be open, but it hurts only the customer when the carriers will not allow a company to update software on your smartphone.

Google has no power to do anything like that. They tried with the Verizon GNex and failed. Apple couldn't do it until AT&T gave them a small opening. Apple took that opening, used it to win over consumers, and bled Verizon of customers until they relented control. Google can't do that.

It's probably because the Nexus brand doesn't have the clout of the iPhone brand. Google isn't in a position to make demands of carriers, unfortunately. But we all know Google will eventually launch its own network, so it will be fun to see how Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T react to that.

Speaking of SIM cards, my Solavei microSIM arrived yesterday. God willing, my phone will arrive on Monday and I'll be able to get this thing going. But I'm now thinking my phone might not arrive until Tuesday because the UPS status is stuck at "a shipping label has been created."

But I'm now thinking my phone might not arrive until Tuesday because the UPS status is stuck at "a shipping label has been created."

Mine was stuck there throughout the whole day it shipped as well. When it finally moved, it only took a day. It'll be delivered on the projected day.

maharg

idspispopd
It's impossible for Google to both have Android become ubiquitous and to have the kind of clout Apple has in controlling what the carriers do with it. Google is basically pursuing the strategy Microsoft pursued in the 90s with Windows. And we all know that MS has no control over what shit the OEMs put on their OS. But it let them dominate the market against all comers (including Apple), and it will probably do the same for Google on phones in the long run.

It's the price of diversity.

DrFurbs

Guys is the only way to get this phone to constantly refresh the google play site to see if its in stock or not? I mean they dont have an ordering page somewhere Im missing?

Im looking to get two of these for xmas presents and its just plain silly they dont take orders and payment when it ships.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Guys is the only way to get this phone to constantly refresh the google play site to see if its in stock or not? I mean they dont have an ordering page somewhere Im missing?

Im looking to get two of these for xmas presents and its just plain silly they dont take orders and payment when it ships.

HUH? When I go to the play store only the 8GB shows sold out...you can order the 16GB but it has a 6-7 week backorder.

cube444

So word is that us Canadians will get a chance to order the Nexus 4 again somewhere between December 7th-14th.

Hope that's true.

Chairhome

So I don't know if it was the 4.2.1 update but my battery life was way better today. had over 15 hours of decent use out of it, was still over 20 percent before I started charging it. I rooted it anyway but staying with stock for now.

Top Bottom