• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

So I don't know if it was the 4.2.1 update but my battery life was way better today. had over 15 hours of decent use out of it, was still over 20 percent before I started charging it. I rooted it anyway but staying with stock for now.

I'm just waiting for an official RC of CM10. Flash that and be good to go.

Mrbob

Does Google charge right away or at shipping? I might order the 16GB Nexus 4 now since its about 6 to 7 weeks away. Perfect timing to make the switch off of Virgin. I just don't feel like paying nearly 400 with tax now and have nothing to show for it.

Jeels

Does Google charge right away or at shipping? I might order the 16GB Nexus 4 now since its about 6 to 7 weeks away. Perfect timing to make the switch off of Virgin. I just don't feel like paying nearly 400 with tax now and have nothing to show for it.

Charges once shipped. Go for it.

At most they'll do an authorization charge. If debit, it'll be for the full amount but it'll fall off in a few days. Credit should only be for a dollar or so.

Then the actual charge would be when it ships.

f0rk

I might just bite the bullet and buy it from CPW for £380

It's really what google/LG wanted us to do!!
Do they have them in store? I went around yesterday looking for a nexus 4 and lumia 920, I hate fucking phone shops where I am more knowledgeable than the guy in there p4u dude was saying lumia was completely unlocked

Do they have them in store? I went around yesterday looking for a nexus 4 and lumia 920, I hate fucking phone shops where I am more knowledgeable than the guy in there p4u dude was saying lumia was completely unlocked

Well I don't know about CPW, but I know 02 do, and they're unlocked

cube444

I might be picking up a 16GB one later today from a friend of a friend. He bought it, loves it but realizes he needs more storage capacity for his pod casts so is going back to iPhone.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I wish my Note were a Nexus. I'm going to miss this screen and battery. But I won't miss having to use ROMs and cheap build quality.

kharma45

Lumia 920? If so yer man in the shop is wrong, they're all locked to EE even the 'SIM free' ones.

derder

I might be picking up a 16GB one later today from a friend of a friend. He bought it, loves it but realizes he needs more storage capacity for his pod casts so is going back to iPhone.

wut....

How could he use more than 16GB? Is there not a way to stream that somehow?

Tattooth

Can I use a PS3 controller with the Nexus 4, I've been looking online and can't seem to find a definitive answer. I know OTG cables don't work, but would bluetooth?

Not sure man. That's what he told my friend.

P.S. He also threw out his receipt. Would this matter in any way on the 1 year warranty for the phone?

Did he get it through Google Play? The receipt should be available for download or in an email. But I think any warranties apply only to the original purchaser. Not sure, though.

I'd pick one up but the Canadian Google Play store keeps saying Sold out and there's no button to let me know when they'll be in stock.

Happy I didn't pick up a Galaxy nexus last year with a contract.

Man, I really should have hooked up with one of you guys to buy me a unit and ship it over to lowly 'Straylia (as reckless as that may have been); there are rumours going around of an AU relisting in a few days, but to be honest, I don't think I'll see one before the new year - and that's if I bloody manage to even get an order through. Each passing day is making me look at other phones in a more favourable light.

Chairhome

Hmm. I was considering selling my N4 off, but I rooted it and the battery is way better. No ROM on it yet cause I'm waiting for them to mature a bit (and I am used to CM10), but I've used SetCPU and have 36% charge left after almost 12 hours of good use (2 hrs of screen time).

Things are starting to look up. Probably going to sell the One S.

cube444

Got the phone (16GB) guys. He still had the plastic on both sides of it and hadn't even removed the charger and plug. $400.

It turns out he had just put the phone for sale on kijiji minutes before my buddy told him I wanted it. He then checked his email and had 23 replies with one guy saying he would bring him $500 immediately for it! :lol

He kept his word and held it for me. You don't see that too often.

I now need to get a micro SIM LTE card as I'm coming from my 3GS.

It's my first experience with Android and I really love the feel of the phone and the customization aspects as I fiddled with it for a half hour or so.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Got the phone (16GB) guys. He still had the plastic on both sides of it and hadn't even removed the charger and plug. $400.

It turns out he had just put the phone for sale on kijiji minutes before my buddy told him I wanted it. He then checked his email and had 23 replies with one guy saying he would bring him $500 immediately for it! :lol

He kept his word and held it for me. You don't see that too often.

I now need to get a micro SIM LTE card as I'm coming from my 3GS.

It's my first experience with Android and I really love the feel of the phone and the customization aspects as I fiddled with it for a half hour or so.

Glad you got your phone. I was going to charge you more than that...lol. Anyways my phones sold well on eBay. I'm a noob at eBay so good thing I checked before ending the listing.

If anyone in the UK gets a holdof the 16gb one this week please hook me up.

I'm getting desperate to get a phone, and will pay pay £350 for it out of gesture. I know you can get more, but GAF hook up!

If I've not got it next week, ill probably buy an S3 or HTC One X

cube444

Glad you got your phone. I was going to charge you more than that...lol. Anyways my phones sold well on eBay. I'm a noob at eBay so good thing I checked before ending the listing.

:lol Your price was still pretty fair though. These phones are selling like nuts. I see the 8GB ones here selling for $500 on kijiji. :lol

surly

Banned
Seeing some of these prices on eBay makes me so angry!
I just had a look on eBay UK and the 16GB model goes for £400-£500. Even more in a few cases. Crazy!

I wonder how many people bought to sell compared to people who bought one cos they wanted it, but then saw that they were going for £500 and thought "fuck it, I'll sell this one now and get another one when they're back in stock". I think I'd be selling mine right now if I had one.

:lol

My UPS status is still stuck on "shipping label created," though if I log in through MyUPS the ETA is still listed as end of the day tomorrow.

I don't doubt that it will indeed arrive tomorrow, based on accounts here and on XDA. (A few people on XDA reported their UPS status was still suck on "label created" after the damn things had been delivered.) I'm just kind of confused why UPS's usually-solid tracking system is borked for this particular vendor.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Is there anyway of telling which prepaid plan would be best for this? StraighTalk, T-Mobile, any clear winners for a guy who doesn't make a lot of calls & would mostly use the phone for driving + other quick info searches?

So how are peoples battery? I wake up. Phone is charged 100%. 4 minutes later its at 96%. Lol

Don't care what your doing with the phone (it was texting for the record) no phone should drop a percent a minute.

Piece of poo battery.

So how are peoples battery? I wake up. Phone is charged 100%. 4 minutes later its at 96%. Lol

Don't care what your doing with the phone (it was texting for the record) no phone should drop a percent a minute.

Piece of poo battery.

In general with Android devices, between 100% and 90% battery drain measurement is unreliable. There was a reason for this, which someone explained to me awhile back but now I don't remember. The point is, a lot of times the phone will drop quickly from 100% to 90%, and then the apparently drain slows down. What the phone does from 90% to 0% is a more useful indicator of battery life.

Then again, battery life isn't something I have to worry about much anymore now that I have a Galaxy Note II. /smug

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44946014&postcount=1113

Piece of poo battery.

See below.

In general with Android devices, between 100% and 90% battery drain measurement is unreliable. There was a reason for this, which someone explained to me awhile back but now I don't remember. The point is, a lot of times the phone will drop quickly from 100% to 90%, and then the apparently drain slows down. What the phone does from 90% to 0% is a more useful indicator of battery life.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44946014&postcount=1113

This is exactly right. When you leave your phone charging overnight, it charges to 100% then discharges to 90%, then recharges etc. This is to preserve the health of the battery. All the while, the phone will report that it is fully charged, even though it may be anywhere in the 90-100% limbo.

So, when you disconnect it, it may drop quickly then stabilize its readings to be more accurate.

That all said, please see my battery stats on the last page. In short, way better than the GNex, gets me through a full day easily, but nothing mindblowing. Also, 3G usage uses much more battery than WiFi for some reason. I suspect the phone is constantly looking for the best DC-HSPA connection, but who knows.

That all said, please see my battery stats on the last page. In short, way better than the GNex, gets me through a full day easily, but nothing mindblowing. Also, 3G usage uses much more battery than WiFi for some reason. I suspect the phone is constantly looking for the best DC-HSPA connection, but who knows.

Cell network normally uses more battery than WiFi. My old Gnex was the same way. LTE uses more power still than both 3G and WiFi. This is what really makes the battery life of GNII so impressive, I had nearly 8 hours of screen on while on the LTE network.

See below.

This is exactly right. When you leave your phone charging overnight, it charges to 100% then discharges to 90%, then recharges etc. This is to preserve the health of the battery. All the while, the phone will report that it is fully charged, even though it may be anywhere in the 90-100% limbo.

So, when you disconnect it, it may drop quickly then stabilize its readings to be more accurate.

Hmm very interesting. Thanks for that.

Except my battery is at 65% now since my last post. Do the math. Something is seriously eating at my battery here.

So that's just over an hour from fully charged to 65%. I've been chatting on what's app and that's it. But again, shy of watching a movie on Netflix which even that wouldn't drain 45% an hour I don't think what I'm doing matters at all. Nothing should cause a 45% drop in an hour am I right? That's just over a 2 hour battery life on a full charge!

I'm on WiFi btw.

No stock for AU until early 2013
LLShC.gif

Except my battery is at 65% now since my last post. Do the math. Something is seriously eating at my battery here.

So that's just over an hour from fully charged to 65%. I've been chatting on what's app and that's it. But again, shy of watching a movie on Netflix which even that wouldn't drain 45% an hour I don't think what I'm doing matters at all. Nothing should cause a 45% drop in an hour am I right? That's just over a 2 hour battery life on a full charge!

I'm on WiFi btw.

What do you battery stats say?

abunai

I'm on WiFi btw.

The only thing that drained my battery that much was having location reporting on 24/7 for google now. Maps was always the most used app in battery stats. I disabled that and on stock rom/kernel I got standard battery life, which was ~a day of life.

Anyone else tried any custom kernels? I flashed matrix with Paranoidandroid on Friday and I'm currently just over 5 hours of screen on time on my 2nd day of discharging with 30% left. The stock voltages for this phone are seemingly way too high, because with these -150mV undervolts I get better benchmark results, less thermal throttling and much much better battery life.

Ausdroid got the news from LG. It was reference to brick and mortar sales though but it still doesn't bode well

Oh, yeah. I heard about that. I'm choosing to cling to the shred of hope that remains. They've some Nexii waiting in the wings... I can feel them...

What do you battery stats say?
Says 3 hours on battery with 52% being screen time. My battery is at 50% now since my last post. Its draining slower now because I haven't used it since my last post. It seems the drainage comes rapidly only when I'm using it. So doesn't seem to be a background process or anything. Its just whenever the screen is on it sucks the battery dry rapidly. Too quickly. Still trying to figure out what is going on.
The only thing that drained my battery that much was having location reporting on 24/7 for google now. Maps was always the most used app in battery stats. I disabled that and on stock rom/kernel I got standard battery life, which was ~a day of life.

Anyone else tried any custom kernels? I flashed matrix with Paranoidandroid on Friday and I'm currently just over 5 hours of screen on time on my 2nd day of discharging with 30% left. The stock voltages for this phone are seemingly way too high, because with these -150mV undervolts I get better benchmark results, less thermal throttling and much much better battery life.
Turned off location reporting a few days ago and my sleep battery time has gotten better. It was losing like 20% over night now its better. But I still see maps always running in my process screen. And the service running is called "GoogleLocationService" so I'm not sure why that is always on. As well as Google services which I assume is the sync of my contacts and calendar that is 24/7 running. Facebook is also running 24/7 and Nike+ for some damn reason. Cant seem to turn that off.

Edit: battery at 45% a mere 7 minutes after making this post pre-edit. 5% in 7 minutes of just having the screen on and looking through my settings. Something is F'd up here.

I'm on WiFi btw.

What's your screen on time, and what is your brightness level set at?

abunai

Says 3 hours on battery with 52% being screen time. My battery is at 50% now since my last post. Its draining slower now because I haven't used it since my last post. It seems the drainage comes rapidly only when I'm using it. So doesn't seem to be a background process or anything. Its just whenever the screen is on it sucks the battery dry rapidly. Too quickly. Still trying to figure out what is going on.

Turned off location reporting a few days ago and my sleep battery time has gotten better. It was losing like 20% over night now its better. But I still see maps always running in my process screen. And the service running is called "GoogleLocationService" so I'm not sure why that is always on. As well as Google services which I assume is the sync of my contacts and calendar that is 24/7 running. Facebook is also running 24/7 and Nike+ for some damn reason. Cant seem to turn that off.

Edit: battery at 45% a mere 7 minutes after making this post pre-edit. 5% in 7 minutes of just having the screen on and looking through my settings. Something is F'd up here.

Have you got any media applications running? There used to be a bug with android that if there was a corrupt media file on the sd card, the media server service used to constantly scan the storage for new material because of the corrupt files. You could try turning off google music/books/films sync under your google account. I'm also pretty certain Google currents has a bug in it too, with background syncing going crazy on battery life. If you have google currents installed open it up > options > turn off background sync (if you haven't already).

Top Bottom