• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Says 3 hours on battery with 52% being screen time. My battery is at 50% now since my last post. Its draining slower now because I haven't used it since my last post. It seems the drainage comes rapidly only when I'm using it. So doesn't seem to be a background process or anything. Its just whenever the screen is on it sucks the battery dry rapidly. Too quickly. Still trying to figure out what is going on.

Turned off location reporting a few days ago and my sleep battery time has gotten better. It was losing like 20% over night now its better. But I still see maps always running in my process screen. And the service running is called "GoogleLocationService" so I'm not sure why that is always on. As well as Google services which I assume is the sync of my contacts and calendar that is 24/7 running. Facebook is also running 24/7 and Nike+ for some damn reason. Cant seem to turn that off.

Edit: battery at 45% a mere 7 minutes after making this post pre-edit. 5% in 7 minutes of just having the screen on and looking through my settings. Something is F'd up here.

There should be battery stats (or an app like that I think called Better Battery Stats) which shows that processes are draining the battery. For your case, I expect Android OS to be the highest?

Chairhome

Says 3 hours on battery with 52% being screen time. My battery is at 50% now since my last post. Its draining slower now because I haven't used it since my last post. It seems the drainage comes rapidly only when I'm using it. So doesn't seem to be a background process or anything. Its just whenever the screen is on it sucks the battery dry rapidly. Too quickly. Still trying to figure out what is going on.

Turned off location reporting a few days ago and my sleep battery time has gotten better. It was losing like 20% over night now its better. But I still see maps always running in my process screen. And the service running is called "GoogleLocationService" so I'm not sure why that is always on. As well as Google services which I assume is the sync of my contacts and calendar that is 24/7 running. Facebook is also running 24/7 and Nike+ for some damn reason. Cant seem to turn that off.

Edit: battery at 45% a mere 7 minutes after making this post pre-edit. 5% in 7 minutes of just having the screen on and looking through my settings. Something is F'd up here.

It might be a placebo effect, but after updating to 4.2.1 my battery life was much better. Media server was high on the usage list before the update, but it went down after I updated. I had a good 12 to 13 hours of moderate use before I had to charge. This was before I rooted.

What's your screen on time, and what is your brightness level set at?
Brightness at about 30%. Screen time. 2 hours 12 mins and battery now at 30%. I guess I'll get 3 hours screen time out of this charge.
Have you got any media applications running? There used to be a bug with android that if there was a corrupt media file on the sd card, the media server service used to constantly scan the storage for new material because of the corrupt files. You could try turning off google music/books/films sync under your google account. I'm also pretty certain Google currents has a bug in it too, with background syncing going crazy on battery life. If you have google currents installed open it up > options > turn off background sync (if you haven't already).
Currents is off since I don't really use it. Other than Google music I dont have any other media applications running. My Google account shows when each app has last synced and google music as well as contacts and calendar last synced yesterday evening. Which leads me to another question: how often do Google apps background sync? I guess only when a change has been made (new contact or new song added to Google music) and/or around once a day?
There should be battery stats (or an app like that I think called Better Battery Stats) which shows that processes are draining the battery. For your case, I expect Android OS to be the highest?
I'm going to definitely check out that app thank you.

Posts on XDA are making me really doubtful that I'll receive my phone today.

:(

You have a shipping number, right? Seems really weird. Well if you don't have it within that two business day shipping window, I'd certainly call them up or email them about refunding the shipping charge at the very least.

You have a shipping number, right? Seems really weird. Well if you don't have it within that two business day shipping window, I'd certainly call them up or email them about refunding the shipping charge at the very least.

Yup, and the ETA is still listed as end of the day today. But the status is still stuck on "A UPS shipping label has been created..."

If it's not here today, I definitely plan on asking for a refund on shipping. I got the shipping notice in the wee hours of Friday morning, and if it's coming from Louisville, there's no excuse for me not to have it today. Hell, Amazon typically ships to me from Louisville and my 2-day Prime shipping usually arrives next day.

The only thing that drained my battery that much was having location reporting on 24/7 for google now. Maps was always the most used app in battery stats. I disabled that and on stock rom/kernel I got standard battery life, which was ~a day of life.

Anyone else tried any custom kernels? I flashed matrix with Paranoidandroid on Friday and I'm currently just over 5 hours of screen on time on my 2nd day of discharging with 30% left. The stock voltages for this phone are seemingly way too high, because with these -150mV undervolts I get better benchmark results, less thermal throttling and much much better battery life.

What program are you using for UV?

abunai

What program are you using for UV?

System tuner. It's fucking hideous but it works and is free. I'm using ondemand governor with deadline scheduler.

Define great. I'm still trying to decide if I want to go that route or stay stock. Battery has been great for me so far.

I wouldn't have described battery life as great, for me, beforehand. I would browse the web for 20 minutes or so and have the % drop by 8-10%.

On stock 4.2/kernel I was getting about 3 hours of screen on time before I needed to charge. Now on paranoidandroid 2.99/matrix kernel 2.0 I'm getting just shy of 6 hours of screen on time (so almost double battery life under heavy usage) and much much better idle battery usage. I left my phone off the charger last night and it only used 1% battery; this morning the battery was at 45% and with a day of medium usage (it's 5pm now) I'm down at 30%. Benchmarks score higher and the phone is also noticeably cooler with the undervolts.

System tuner. It's fucking hideous but it works and is free. I'm using ondemand governor with deadline scheduler.

I wouldn't have described battery life as great, for me, beforehand. I would browse the web for 20 minutes or so and have the % drop by 8-10%.

On stock 4.2/kernel I was getting about 3 hours of screen on time before I needed to charge. Now on paranoidandroid 2.99/matrix kernel 2.0 I'm getting just shy of 6 hours of screen on time (so almost double battery life under heavy usage) and much much better idle battery usage. I left my phone off the charger last night and it only used 1% battery; this morning the battery was at 45% and with a day of medium usage (it's 5pm now) I'm down at 30%. Benchmarks score higher and the phone is also noticeably cooler with the undervolts.

MotherofGod.gif

That's insane.

abunai

Wow. Yes. Yes, it is. I've never rooted before (and kind of horrified at the prospect) but that sounds fantastic...

Rooting is really simple with the Nexus 4 since it's a nexus device and the bootloader is unlocked etc and there's no need for system exploits. There's even an all-in-one tool that does everything for you. You'd just install nexus 4 drivers (I believe they're included with the above package, I'm not sure though as I already had the google SDK installed), press a few numbers in that command prompt and it'd be done. You can always factory reset from the bootloader if things went wrong (vol up + vol down + power keys), but that's a last ditch effort since you'd lose all data on the phone. Once rooted you'd make a recovery image, flash the kernel .zip and reboot.

Rooting is really simple with the Nexus 4 since it's a nexus device and the bootloader is unlocked etc and there's no need for system exploits. There's even an all-in-one tool that does everything for you. You'd just install nexus 4 drivers (I believe they're included with the above package, I'm not sure though as I already had the google SDK installed), press a few numbers in that command prompt and it'd be done. You can always factory reset from the bootloader if things went wrong (vol up + vol down + power keys), but that's a last ditch effort since you'd lose all data on the phone. Once rooted you'd make a recovery image, flash the kernel .zip and reboot.

Hmm, thanks for the tip :)

I may give this a go as I'm loving the phone but not that psyched about the battery performance so far.

Hmm, thanks for the tip :)

I may give this a go as I'm loving the phone but not that psyched about the battery performance so far.

It is really easy and straight forward. Even if you don't want to flash kernels/roms/etc, doesn't hurt to have it rooted/unlocked bootloader.

Word. I'm using System tuner as well. Using faux123 kernel with stock ROM. Waiting for RC of CM then go from there. UV -100.

Nitsuj23

It is really easy and straight forward. Even if you don't want to flash kernels/roms/etc, doesn't hurt to have it rooted/unlocked bootloader.

Word. I'm using System tuner as well. Using faux123 kernel with stock ROM. Waiting for RC of CM then go from there. UV -100.

As someone new to Android from iOS, what does rooting do if you're not installing a new rom?

So a few people on Android Central seem to think that this week's shipments are coming from Baltimore, not Louisville.

I have no clue if it's true, and if it is, what impact that would have on shipping.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I just woke up. Did I miss the Canadian launch. What the Dickens? 3pm est! Please spaghetti monster let it be true.

Chairhome

Wow, I thought my 3 hours of screentime was good. Gotta try this, thanks.

Top Bottom