• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Malvolio

I was going to do the bumper thing, but after feeling up the curved glass, not gonna happen.

Use a pouch and go bare. That's how I did the galaxy nexus.

The phone is not slippery at all in hand, but just on smooth surfaces like wood, or glossy books.

I came to the same conclusion. I think the phone is too nice to even cover with a bumper. We'll see how long I can keep it looking this nice without one though.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Damn. 16gb is in stock for Canada, but it says ships in 7-8 weeks. Which means I won't get it for Christmas.

Should've been F5ing soon as you got Google's email.

They sent me my warning (finally) at 1pm. Said it was going to be on sale 3:00 EST.

I was refreshing from 2:55 to 3:03 when I finally got in. My bud, a GAF lurker, (you goddamn lurker you) got another one in case I couldn't get one.

1-2 weeks.

I can't wait!

KarmaCow

Will it actually be closer to 1-2 weeks if you ordered early? I can't find the way to check on the status of the order and the 1-2 week thing only shows up in that initial email copy of the receipt.

cube444

Any idea why I can't update to JB 4.2.1 guys? I have added a Google account, Google Wallet, bought some small apps, did a reboot and nothing. I don't have a micro SIM card yet and have only been on wifi but can't see that as being the reason.

Help.

maharg

idspispopd
Any idea why I can't update to JB 4.2.1 guys? I have added a Google account, Google Wallet, bought some small apps, did a reboot and nothing. I don't have a micro SIM card yet and have only been on wifi but can't see that as being the reason.

Help.

Android OTA updates are just plain distributed at random intervals to random users.

I decided to call up Google to ask what the what is going on with these limbo shipments.

I dialed the number. Silence. Nothing. Not a sound. No ringing; just absolute nothingness.

Hung up. Dialed again. Same deal.

WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK GOOGLE

Android OTA updates are just plain distributed at random intervals to random users.
same way google ships their products

I decided to call up Google to ask what the what is going on with these limbo shipments.

I dialed the number. Silence. Nothing. Not a sound. No ringing; just absolute nothingness.

Hung up. Dialed again. Same deal.

WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK GOOGLE
they just took your money and left town

whitehawk

Banned
Should've been F5ing soon as you got Google's email.

They sent me my warning (finally) at 1pm. Said it was going to be on sale 3:00 EST.

I was refreshing from 2:55 to 3:03 when I finally got in. My bud, a GAF lurker, (you goddamn lurker you) got another one in case I couldn't get one.

1-2 weeks.

I can't wait!
Wasn't around my PC when I got the email. And now it's sold out completely. God dammit.

Now limbo calls?

same way google ships their products

they just took your money and left town

I finally got through on the fifth time I called.

Talked to a CSR by the name of Jasmine. Very friendly and helpful, but it was obvious that neither she nor any other CSR had any clue what the fuck was going on. After checking with someone else, she told me that it takes 24 hours from the time the label was created for it to start tracking within the UPS system. And for some unexplained reason, that 24 hours began today instead of Friday morning, which is when I got the shipping notice.

Which, of course, makes abso-fucking-lutely zero sense whatsoever, but I wasn't about to hassle her. I very politely expressed my frustration and added that whatever is going on is far beyond her control, and thanked her for her assistance.

So bleh.

giga

I finally got through on the fifth time I called.

Talked to a CSR by the name of Jasmine. Very friendly and helpful, but it was obvious that neither she nor any other CSR had any clue what the fuck was going on. After checking with someone else, she told me that it takes 24 hours from the time the label was created for it to start tracking within the UPS system. And for some unexplained reason, that 24 hours began today instead of Friday morning, which is when I got the shipping notice.

Which, of course, makes abso-fucking-lutely zero sense whatsoever, but I wasn't about to hassle her. I very politely expressed my frustration and added that whatever is going on is far beyond her control, and thanked her for her assistance.

So bleh.
I think UPS is just backed up due to the holiday season. I dropped a package off on Saturday and they've yet to update the tracking number as of right now. On any other day, I know UPS doesn't take 24+ hours to get a package from their retail location to the sorting facility.

I think UPS is just backed up due to the holiday season. I dropped a package off on Saturday and they've yet to update the tracking number as of right now. On any other day, I know UPS doesn't take 24+ hours to get a package from their retail location to the sorting facility.

I'd be willing to buy that if I were experiencing any substantial delays with Amazon shipments through UPS, but I haven't, and I've ordered two or three things from them in the past two weeks.

But that's purely anecdotal, obviously.

Help.

You could try this :-

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2017831

I got fed up of waiting for 4.2.1 to come through so tried this trick and it worked first time. I understand some need to do it a couple of times for it to work though.

Meanwhile my search for a wireless charger in the UK continues unabated. These things are rarer than the bloody Nexus 4 that's for sure. At the moment I have a lead on a Maxwell Qi charger (been proven to work with the Nexus 4) but the guy keeps pushing the delivery date back. Ho well such is life I guess.

jhawk6

Ok guys, got my Nexus 4 late last week and thought I'd post here with my impressions.

So, I think I actually have a little different perspective than most users because I am coming from a Samsung Focus Windows Phone 7 which was my first smartphone over to Android which I obviously have little to no experience with. Usually, most people have had either Android or Ios and have no experience with WP. So, "Great!" you say, "you're going to be blown away by all the awesomeness you've been missing out on!". Well, kind of. It's been a mixed bag so far but with some help I think it can be better than my old phone. I keep reminding myself that I had that WP for 2 years and I've had this phone for one weekend so I have a lot to learn about it :)

Here's the stuff I used most on my old phone and how I am using it now on the Nexus 4.

1. People hub

My old WP: I touch the people tile and there was basically my facebook news feed and people's posts who I follow on twitter integrated in one list. I could like facebook posts, or retweet right from the hub. This was so nice I actually very rarely used the actual facebook or twitter apps.

My current Nexus 4 setup: I swipe to my left home screen and have a facebook widget and twitter widget that each share half the screen. I can cycle through the posts but to be able to interact with them such as liking a fb post it launches the app :/

Potential better setup: ???

2. Email

My old WP: My Hotmail and Gmail accounts are added to the Email app where I link the inboxes. Touching the tile launches into the shared inbox. I can easily delete junk and trash from both accounts.

My current Nexus 4 setup: Whoo boy. Hopefully there is something I'm missing here. Two separate apps, one for gmail, and one for my Hotmail. Gmail app is a bit slow checking conversations all the time and I cannot delete mail that's in the trash bin? The Hotmail app is shit. Getting around to each folder is cumbersome. I have since switched my Hotmail to the stock email app and that is way better. It seems totally fine but I wish I could link the two inboxes and have the app automatically go there when I open it.

Potential better setup: Help me :)

3. Sports scores

My old WP: I had a very bare bones sports score app which is what I liked about it. Pick the sport and it listed every upcoming game in a super easy to see format.

My current Nexus 4 setup: ESPN Scorecenter and a widget with my teams on it......I don't think I need to go into how bad this app is.

Potential better setup: Save me! Just need a really simple scores app. Let's me bring up every game all the scores for a given sport. Like the college football bowl games coming up in a few weeks. Bam, a list with all the games of that week and who's playing and the scores. No fluff. It's gotta be out there :) Bonus if it includes lockscreen widget functionality.

Those were the big things I used all the time on my old phone. Little stuff is like the neogaf link on my WP was that nice custom tile that's provided for the start screen. My android link is a bland looking bookmark icon, is there a way to spruce that up? No biggie if not.

Battery life is about the same. It can last me a full day's work about ~10 hours or so but only after I disabled all the location GPS services stuff which disables google now and that is bit of a bummer but I hear there is a bug causing extra battery drain with that stuff so maybe I can re-enable it in a later firmware update. I bought an LG qi wireless charger and I really like that feature on this phone. Not having to plug in that usb cord and then unplug it in the morning and having to set it down a certain way to keep it from falling behind my desk, ugh, the rage lol No more cords :)

Also, there are a lot of things this phone does better or things that I couldn't do before:
I can use my bank's app now, I can play popular games, I even setup dropbox!
I downloaded instagram and pinterest! (although I haven't used either at all yet lol) And I love, love, love, that giant HD screen! Camera is waaay better lol The web surfing experience between Chrome and Internet Explorer is about the same except when it comes to tabs. Chrome does it so much better and I'm very happy about that.

One more small quibble, I use the heart symbol when messaging a lot and there doesn't appear to be a shortcut symbol for it in the smileys. How can I add it? Having to create one manually using <3 is too many keypresses compared to how I used to do it.

Hieberrr

3. Sports scores

My old WP: I had a very bare bones sports score app which is what I liked about it. Pick the sport and it listed every upcoming game in a super easy to see format.

My current Nexus 4 setup: ESPN Scorecenter and a widget with my teams on it......I don't think I need to go into how bad this app is.

Potential better setup: Save me! Just need a really simple scores app. Let's me bring up every game all the scores for a given sport. Like the college football bowl games coming up in a few weeks. Bam, a list with all the games of that week and who's playing and the scores. No fluff. It's gotta be out there :) Bonus if it includes lockscreen widget functionality.

OXs3QJ0pt5xAJU0oQWojPOpnd72wJa4HyJrhrr-wSfCrEmpDLQSbBhliq6B22-i7pfE=w705

ScoreMobile. It's hands down the best sports app that I have ever used on Android. They also make a football/soccer specific app called ScoreMobile FC.
Check it out :) Very customizable too.

fHFhpMfHjRLVwVIfIaySvIbHd_dGwhT2TQrQLHr6A2HYe5wLtAZlnwPck5BHtNgM5g=w705

If you don't like it, I hear Yahoo! Sportacular is pretty good.

Sen²

2. Email

My old WP: My Hotmail and Gmail accounts are added to the Email app where I link the inboxes. Touching the tile launches into the shared inbox. I can easily delete junk and trash from both accounts.

My current Nexus 4 setup: Whoo boy. Hopefully there is something I'm missing here. Two separate apps, one for gmail, and one for my Hotmail. Gmail app is a bit slow checking conversations all the time and I cannot delete mail that's in the trash bin? The Hotmail app is shit. Getting around to each folder is cumbersome. I have since switched my Hotmail to the stock email app and that is way better. It seems totally fine but I wish I could link the two inboxes and have the app automatically go there when I open it.

Potential better setup: Help me :)

You could either use the preinstalled E-Mail App for both your E-Mail accounts or you could use the GMail App for both you E-Mail accounts. The former should work by default, just add both addresses in the App and disable the notifications in the GMail App. To make the latter work you first have to set up the EMail grabber in the web interface of the GMail App (which is really easy: Settings -> Accounts and Import -> Check mail from other accounts (using POP3)).

Personally, I use the GMail App for all my E-Mail accounts because you can delete Mails by just swiping them "out of screen", similarly to how you can dismiss notifications.

njean777

So my friend finally got his phone, and I must say I like it. If the iphone didnt exist I would have this phone. So much better then the GS3.

Going through my second with one charge...

kihZ9.png

And I highly recommend Light Flow. Comes in handy at work where you just have to monitor the LED and not always have to check the entire screen.

yo so did you end up getting a Nexus 4?? heard they came back to the CA store today..plus LTE?
I was going to. But I decided to wait. Might as well catch the next trend as it starts with the 5 inches and hopefully bigger batteries. Eyeing the Odin if it ever comes out or the s4. I figure those will get most dev support so I can get stock on it.

I really am fighting though. Tough holding back. Do want. But I'll be happier in the long run if I wait some months. I want bigger battery mostly. I feel like they're coming. Other manufacturers will catch up to Motorola.

Woke up to find the shipping status still unchanged.

Called up Google again just to tell them I expect to be reimbursed for the 2-day shipping. The CSR, again very friendly, said she'd pass my case on to a "shipping expert."

So frustrating. I leave on vacation on Thursday and was hoping to have this thing by then. I doubt that's going to happen.

Woohoo finally getting my wireless charger (Maxwell Air Voltage). I can't wait, for some reason I am almost as excited for this as I was for the actual phone.

Meanwhile whilst I am here here is a little easter egg that you can get on Jellybean 4.2. There is a hidden daydream screen saver thing. To activate it simply go to settings and choose "about phone" locate the entry "Android Version 4.2" and tap that item several times. If you do it correctly that will unlock the jellybean daydream screen saver thing which becomes available in the daydream settings.

cube444

You could try this :-

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2017831

I got fed up of waiting for 4.2.1 to come through so tried this trick and it worked first time. I understand some need to do it a couple of times for it to work though.

Meanwhile my search for a wireless charger in the UK continues unabated. These things are rarer than the bloody Nexus 4 that's for sure. At the moment I have a lead on a Maxwell Qi charger (been proven to work with the Nexus 4) but the guy keeps pushing the delivery date back. Ho well such is life I guess.

Thanks. Was kind of late so only tried it twice with no luck.

P.S. When I get my LTE micro sim I'll take some Bell LTE speed tests for you guys.

la_briola

Estimated Ship:
4-5 weeks
1x Nexus 4 (8GB)299,00 &#8364;
Shipping:9,99 &#8364;Total:308,99 &#8364;(Includes VAT of 49,34 &#8364;)

chrome page monitor ftw!

Do we get charged at purchase or shipment?

Thinking of ordering it now before the holidays because of the wait time but I've quite a few expenses and I'd rather not add to them if I can.

maharg

idspispopd
Ffffffuuuuuu......

I'm going to have two laptops going at once trying to bag me one.
Hope they have a purchase limit this time around.

In the Canadian restock purchase limit was 1/customer.

Honestly it wasn't that bad. You had to click things multiple times, but it worked ok eventually.

maharg

idspispopd
I guess that's what's happening with mine that I ordered yesterday? My credit card was charged immediately.

What they probably did was put a reversible hold on it. Which is usually used to determine at order time that you're 'good for it'.

In the Canadian restock purchase limit was 1/customer.

Honestly it wasn't that bad. You had to click things multiple times, but it worked ok eventually.

I think in the US restock as well it was limited to two per customer, makes more sense than 10. Hopefully UK store will be following suit.

Hoping to get lucky this time, had it in my basket several times on launch day but never got through to payment. Just need a bit of luck to go that one step further this time.

buhdeh

Hmm my order receipt from yesterday says delivered in 3-5 days. Wonder if it's actually true cause my Google Wallet order still says pending.

im gonna push for a refund on shipping...it says within 2 business days and I bet it wont arrive until friday and technically that is a week from when it "shipped"

I think we've had a big misunderstanding.

Per Google, it doesn't start shipping until 24 hours after the label has been created. But apparently that 24 hours doesn't actually start until 24 hours after the first 24 hours, followed by the next first 24 hours in which the package finally ships.

And Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays, and Tuesdays don't count.

YYYYYESSSSSSS!!! ORDER WENT THROUGH!

Had to pay with another credit card because the first was declined (security check probably) but huzzah!! Ships in 1-2 weeks, which I believe in Google Time is about March 2014. :p

f0rk

It's funny how it says (2 Day) next to the £10 delivery charge when the shipping estimate is 1-2 weeks.

Also it looks like it was 1 per person here.

Top Bottom