• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Hmmm, well I can only hear the buzzing noise on mine if i really press it up to my ear. Even then mine is barely noticeable. Then again, I might just have terrible hearing.

JordanKZ

Well, I got mine today after upgrading from the Galaxy Nexus.

Holy shit. The build quality, speed, camera, screen and loud speaker are significantly better. Super impressed.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Is there no way to check on your order until you get a shipping e-mail? The order page itself seems pretty static, is there any way of knowing if mine will arrive earlier than expected?

suedester

Banned
Yeah it seems to be affecting everyone :(. Weird. I hope that thing doesn't blow up in my face when I'm using it *knocks on wood*.

I'm still waiting on my damn case from China. I ordered it back on the 16th and it's still not here. Should've just ordered a more expensive one from the US or something...

No buzzing here squire. Either that or I'm deaf.

Beez

Banned
Yeah it seems to be affecting everyone :(. Weird. I hope that thing doesn't blow up in my face when I'm using it *knocks on wood*.

I'm still waiting on my damn case from China. I ordered it back on the 16th and it's still not here. Should've just ordered a more expensive one from the US or something...

I asked my dad about this he said there's no buzzing noise on his phone at all. *shrugs*

Hieberrr

I asked my dad about this he said there's no buzzing noise on his phone at all. *shrugs*

Not really a buzz. It's more of "the speaker is still on" sound.

And once you turn on the screen and try it again, you'll hear something.

I WANT MY CASE!
I WANT MY CASE!
I WANT MY CASE!
I WANT MY CASE!
I WANT MY CASE!
I WANT MY CASE!
I WANT MY CASE!
I WANT MY CASE!
I WANT MY CASE!
I WANT MY CASE!
I WANT MY CASE!
I WANT MY CASE!
I WANT MY CASE!
I WANT MY CASE!
I WANT MY CASE!
I WANT MY CASE!
I WANT MY CASE!
I WANT MY CASE!
I WANT MY CASE!

This is the one thing I hate about the holiday season. Too much mail!

Malvolio

Not really a buzz. It's more of "the speaker is still on" sound.

And once you turn on the screen and try it again, you'll hear something.

My phone is dead silent. Had it next to my ear for a full power down and back on cycle and all I heard was the vibrate notification.

cube444

Still no sign of my 4.2.1 OTA update yet.

EDIT: I think I might need to first activate my phone with a SIM card in order for Google to recognize it.

TwIsTeD

I love how Google cant reply back to a support message within 48 hours....I`m about to flag the transaction with AMEX and have them deal with Google....seriously I dont care if I have to wait for my phone but dont charge my card and say its shipped when it obviously has not.

I love how Google cant reply back to a support message within 48 hours....I`m about to flag the transaction with AMEX and have them deal with Google....seriously I dont care if I have to wait for my phone but dont charge my card and say its shipped when it obviously has not.

Do you have a charge or an authorization? If it is an authorization, it should fall off in a few days. Maybe longer depending on the bank/CC company.

If an actual charge, then yeah. Raise hell.

DrFurbs

well I just bought 2 of these handsets after waiting for nearly 2 weeks for the stock to be in! Im super excited. Unfortunately 4-5 week delivery in the UK..

meh

TwIsTeD

Do you have a charge or an authorization? If it is an authorization, it should fall off in a few days. Maybe longer depending on the bank/CC company.

If an actual charge, then yeah. Raise hell.

It's a charge...there lack of communcation is the worst part of this whole thing

RJM77

It's a charge...there lack of communcation is the worst part of this whole thing

Yup, an actual charge went through on my card on Friday. I have an automatically generated ups tracking number/email but it hasn't changed status in 6 days.

TwIsTeD

Yup, an actual charge went through on my card on Friday. I have an automatically generated ups tracking number/email but it hasn't changed status in 6 days.

So I finally got a call and after hearing the yea its a known issue let me send this to our shipping support team ..... so I asked the guy at that point so what really happened...he kinda paused and said they would take care of us....yea thats a statement Im sure wont come true but oh well......if I dont get an answer by friday i`m canceling the whole damn thing and i`ll write to Larry telling him if they need help running their retail channel I got enough experience to make sure this never happens again

Jeels

So which "weeks" orders are currently shipping? I have an 8gb that was ordered at "7-8 weeks" and a 16gb that was ordered at "4-5 weeks" and I am willing to cancel my 16 gb if were flying through the shipments fast enough.

I just ordered the 16GB one. I think 8GB probably would have been plenty, but the time has come for me to enter the smartphone age. Let's do this!

Shagwell

Sorry if this has been previously asked but I couldn't find it in the thread: my phone is meant to arrive tomorrow. I currently have an iPhone 4 with At&t as part of a family plan, and I'm assuming my data plan is the iPhone one. When the nexus arrives tomorrow, if I switch the SIM in will it work straight away? Or am I going to have to go to AT&T and inform them of my intention to switch and get them to do what they gotta do for me?

Just wondering because I hope I can just get straight to using it rather than having to drive out and have them set me up and make changes to my account. Cheers

Hieberrr

Sorry if this has been previously asked but I couldn't find it in the thread: my phone is meant to arrive tomorrow. I currently have an iPhone 4 with At&t as part of a family plan, and I'm assuming my data plan is the iPhone one. When the nexus arrives tomorrow, if I switch the SIM in will it work straight away? Or am I going to have to go to AT&T and inform them of my intention to switch and get them to do what they gotta do for me?

Just wondering because I hope I can just get straight to using it rather than having to drive out and have them set me up and make changes to my account. Cheers

Uhh, unless AT&T is weird, it should work just fine. With pretty much all GSM phones, you just pop the SIM card in while the phone is off, turn it on, let it search for the network and you should be golden. If not, see if the APN is there.

So I finally got a call and after hearing the yea its a known issue let me send this to our shipping support team ..... so I asked the guy at that point so what really happened...he kinda paused and said they would take care of us....yea thats a statement Im sure wont come true but oh well......if I dont get an answer by friday i`m canceling the whole damn thing and i`ll write to Larry telling him if they need help running their retail channel I got enough experience to make sure this never happens again
Came in here to find out if I was alone in this. The tracking number for my phone that supposedly shipped on the 30th is still on the "A UPS shipping label has been created" stage, whereas a second order that shipped this morning is set to arrive tomorrow.

At the very least it would be nice if they refunded us the ridiculous $15 S&H fee, since we're obviously not paying for 2-day shipping.

Phoenix

Uhh, unless AT&T is weird, it should work just fine. With pretty much all GSM phones, you just pop the SIM card in while the phone is off, turn it on, let it search for the network and you should be golden. If not, see if the APN is there.

No it will not work right out of the box. The data plan will be flagged as an iPhone one and for reasons that continue to piss me off, the Android device will not provision properly on its own. You will have cellular signal, but you won't have data. Tried this with several GS3s and a couple of Samsung tablet devices on AT&Ts network.

RJM77

I got the shipping email with tracking last Friday. it just updated. and is now showing a scheduled delivery tomorrow. I think they upgraded shipping to 1 day.

njean777

Really? In what ways is it better than the S3? Is it smoother? How are the screens?

Better build quality (doesnt feel cheap), stock android will always beat touchwiz. Those two things alone make me like it more, as I am not the person that likes to root or mess around with Roms at all. The screen seems a bit dark compared to the GS3, but that doesnt bother me that much. The only negative thing against the Nexus 4 is the speaker is a bit quiet on the phone. Other then that I really do like it.

def sim

I ordered on the 27th of November with an estimate of 4-5 weeks and I just received shipping confirmation. I was expecting my phone around Christmas, but this might turn out to be a pleasant surprise.

exYle

I ordered on the 27th of November with an estimate of 4-5 weeks and I just received shipping confirmation. I was expecting my phone around Christmas, but this might turn out to be a pleasant surprise.

That's good new for me, since I ordered my phone Dec 3rd with a 3-4 week estimate... but I go on vacation on Christmas Day.

I ordered on 28th, with same 4-5 weeks for 16gb. here's hoping the same for me this week!

So Google is actually doing not terrible? Way to go el goog!

It really only takes a few weeks from the overwhelming initial crush of orders to the first batch of ramped-up production phones arriving by container ship to the shores of North America and Europe. Google and LG were probably a bit too quiet during the intervening period about what was going on, but nobody was trying to create an artificial shortage. There should be plenty of N4s around the world by Christmas.

Kibbles

I got the shipping email with tracking last Friday. it just updated. and is now showing a scheduled delivery tomorrow. I think they upgraded shipping to 1 day.
Same here. In fact it says the phone is already near me arrived in Oak Creek Wisconsin at 5am just after being shipped at 4:48 in Kentucky.

Cigol

Was surprised to see that my 4-5 weeks estimate ended up amounting to little more than 2 days in the UK. I guess they are being ultra conservative with the numbers to avoid upset. Pretty cool anyway, and the phone is awesome... I don't know why it's downloading everything installed on my nexus 7 though.

Was surprised to see that my 4-5 weeks estimate ended up amounting to little more than 2 days in the UK. I guess they are being ultra conservative with the numbers to avoid upset. Pretty cool anyway, and the phone is awesome... I don't know why it's downloading everything installed on my nexus 7 though.

When did you order it?

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Google is pretty random with their ship times. I ordered 2 on my account and 2 on my wife's account. When I ordered on my account got 2-3 weeks shipping yet received an email saying they have shipped. On my wife's account it was a 1-2 weeks before shipping yet nothing since then. So seems like they still do not know what they are doing.

Top Bottom