• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Was surprised to see that my 4-5 weeks estimate ended up amounting to little more than 2 days in the UK. I guess they are being ultra conservative with the numbers to avoid upset. Pretty cool anyway, and the phone is awesome... I don't know why it's downloading everything installed on my nexus 7 though.

When you log in on the new device with your Google account, the Play Store automatically downloads and installs all the apps you had on your other device(s). This can be quite comical if you are on a capped data plan and you don't happen to turn WiFi on when you boot your new device and log in for the first time.

Cigol

8GB - the 16GB had a longer waiting period at the time (although not sure how accurate that is now). I was surprised myself, wasn't expecting it until after Christmas.

When you log in on the new device with your Google account, the Play Store automatically downloads and installs all the apps you had on your other device(s). This can be quite comical if you are on a capped data plan and you don't happen to turn WiFi on when you boot your new device and log in for the first time.
What about apps that aren't up on the play store anymore? I have a few old apps I still use that got taken down or updated

RJM77

Same here. In fact it says the phone is already near me arrived in Oak Creek Wisconsin at 5am just after being shipped at 4:48 in Kentucky.

I was cautious about the supposed delivery today, since tracking at Midnight pacific time last night said it was still in Kentucky. But it's showing as being out for delivery in Seattle today. They definitely upgraded shipping for this first batch at least. They kinda screwed the pooch on that one.

And I woke up to see an email for my 2nd phone with a tracking number this morning. The fun begins again.

Futureman

anyone using a Nexus 4 in Pittsburgh?

I would be interested in what speeds you are pulling down with HSPA+?

On my GNex 4G Verzion, the highest I've measured with Speedtest is around 13Mbps.

Was surprised to see that my 4-5 weeks estimate ended up amounting to little more than 2 days in the UK. I guess they are being ultra conservative with the numbers to avoid upset. Pretty cool anyway, and the phone is awesome... I don't know why it's downloading everything installed on my nexus 7 though.

My friend got his yesterday after ordering on the 4th!

Chairhome

Does anyone else use the Matr1x kernel? Does it come UV'd automatically or do I need to fiddle with it through an app? I have my min/max set, but I don't see any dramatic change in battery life, like someone else here has shown. I am on stock AOSP though.

Hieberrr

Does anyone else use the Matr1x kernel? Does it come UV'd automatically or do I need to fiddle with it through an app? I have my min/max set, but I don't see any dramatic change in battery life, like someone else here has shown. I am on stock AOSP though.

I've never messed with OCing and all that stuff. I find that most people run into problems like the phone won't wake up, random reboots, etc... Why not just leave it at stock frequencies?

Chairhome

I've never messed with OCing and all that stuff. I find that most people run into problems like the phone won't wake up, random reboots, etc... Why not just leave it at stock frequencies?
I haven't really had any problems with Over/underclocking. I have had a few random reboots, but I think that was before I started messing with the clock frequencies. The reason I want to mess with the frequencies is to optimize battery life, which I've had success with on other phones.

buhdeh

Well I was hoping Google would do good by the "delivered in 3-5 business days" estimate they gave me. It's day 3 and I don't have any shipping information or movement on my wallet status. Oh well.

thirty

Banned
All digital zoom is trash, no one will hold that against the Nexus 4, but that audio distortion. Probably only apparent in high volume situations but still.

Cigol

Yeah I've not been impressed by the mic at all unfortunately. Don't remember it being mentioned in any reviews as lacking either (?) but even just lounging around it's quite tinny and quiet.

TwIsTeD

Mic be damned....and to hell with LTE .....this is the nicest build quality on an Android device period IMO (the HTC One X is close but Google + LG nailed it) & its Butter smooth

I`m no longer WP8 Curious....sticking with my yearly upgrades for iPhone & Nexus

la_briola

Yeah it seems to be affecting everyone :(. Weird. I hope that thing doesn't blow up in my face when I'm using it *knocks on wood*.

I'm still waiting on my damn case from China. I ordered it back on the 16th and it's still not here. Should've just ordered a more expensive one from the US or something...

Got mine today. I can only hear it very gentle if I press the phone against my ear. I guess this is acceptable.

WoodWERD

So I guess I can't read too much into UK orders that were quoted 4-5 weeks, and are already receiving their units? I'm in the US and assume there are different facilities shipping these. I ordered mine back on 11/27 and haven't heard a peep...hope to get it by Christmas!

Shagwell

Well, having never owned and Android and switched directly from an iPhone 4 I can safely say I haven't got the faintest clue what I'm doing. It is pretty damn cool, though.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Sure enough got all my phones delivered today. I got 2 on the first go around and sold them off with out opening one up. This time I opened one up and pretty impressed. Hardware is really nice. Way better than the galaxy nexus. Also it is extremely snapppy. Now have to reload all games and apps again.

Oh and if anyone on gaf is interested in one PM me before I put them up on ebay.

The camera on the 920 outclasses every other cell phone at the moment.. by far.

only in low light and stock settings and not by far. i believe the argument people made about using stuff like "night mode" in other phones was that the average user wouldn't do it.

though, this is the Nexus 4 thread and it does outclass that phone pretty easily in pretty much every measure in photos and video recording.

asdad123

Ended up canceling my order. Realized that I'm too far into iOS to change.

Its just so convenient having all my notes/texts/pictures sync automatically between my phone, ipad, and mac.

I really do want to see this phone so I can hold it and see how it is. My friend ordered one the same day I ordered mine for 2-3 week delivery so hopefully soon Ill get to play with it.

Leucrota

Its just so convenient having all my notes/texts/pictures sync automatically between my phone, ipad, and mac.

I really do want to see this phone so I can hold it and see how it is. My friend ordered one the same day I ordered mine for 2-3 week delivery so hopefully soon Ill get to play with it.

Is there a way you can port this stuff to something Android supports, like DropBox or google drive?

I was in a similar situation. I found iCal and Address Book to sync perfectly fine with Google Cal and Google Contacts. Only two apps that don't work as seamless or elegant are reminders and notes. I now use ever note for that. Automatic photo upload to dropbox or Google photos can be like photo stream for apple devices. So basically the alternatives are there on the Google ecosystem but yeah it isn't as elegant and simple as how apple devices talk together. Also iCloud kills anything Google has with their backup service. I still don't know what is being backed up on my phone and when. I know titanium backup was recommended by some but you need to root and I shouldn't have to root to get a backup system that works. Google need to fix that.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Sure enough got all my phones delivered today. I got 2 on the first go around and sold them off with out opening one up. This time I opened one up and pretty impressed. Hardware is really nice. Way better than the galaxy nexus. Also it is extremely snapppy. Now have to reload all games and apps again.

Oh and if anyone on gaf is interested in one PM me before I put them up on ebay.

Oh fuck off.

I find that its better to get that stuff synced with services that work across multiple platforms so you're not limited to one ecosystem. I have the following setup:

Notes synced with Evernote.
Contacts/Email/Pictures/RSS/Chat/Calendar synced with Google account.
Files synced with Dropbox and Google Drive.

My main phone is android, my main tablet for a while was an iPad (then i switched to a Nexus 7), and my main PC runs Windows. I can access all of my stuff from all of these platforms, its great :)

Top Bottom