• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Kiraly

The distribution of this phone is suck a fucking disaster, it blows my mind a multi-billion dollar company can't get it right.

nothing compared to austria...550€ = 715$

€395 in Deutschland at Media Markt for the 16GB version, which is not that bad of a mark-up. Not available yet though.

Might even catch a train from Amsterdam to the nearest German MM to get it lol

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Ordered two days ago a Nexus 4 for my gf et voila it just showed up on my doorstep. That was fast! Especially if you consider they told me it would be 4-5 weeks.

Opened it to get a glimpse and woah this phone is sexy. I want 4.2 on my S3 :/

I wanted to give it to my gf for christmas, but she desperately needs a new phone so i guess i just hand it over.

What about apps that aren't up on the play store anymore? I have a few old apps I still use that got taken down or updated

I have no idea. I've never had an app which was taken down from Google Play.

On my GNex 4G Verzion, the highest I've measured with Speedtest is around 13Mbps.

The VZW GNex has a pretty crummy radio. When I upgraded to my Note II, I sat in exactly the same spot I used to get 12-13 Mbps and was suddenly getting 40+ Mbps. It's kind of wierd having a cell connection which is literally twice as fast as my landline Internet connection from Comcast.

The_Joker

€395 in Deutschland at Media Markt for the 16GB version, which is not that bad of a mark-up. Not available yet though.

Might even catch a train from Amsterdam to the nearest German MM to get it lol

well i have family in good old germany so i bought it for 350€ (+10€ shipping)

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Ordered two days ago a Nexus 4 for my gf et voila it just showed up on my doorstep. That was fast! Especially if you consider they told me it would be 4-5 weeks.

I wanted to give it to my gf for christmas, but she desperately needs a new phone so i guess i just hand it over.

UK? Did you not get a shipping email)/tracking details?

Can you you check your wallet status to see if its still saying pending or complete?

Cheers

I have only used about 1GB and have 4.65GB of space left on my 8GB. Google music really is the best not having to store any of my music on the device while still giving me that option easily for a few hundred songs at a time if I did really want to download to the device. Automatic upload to dropbox for media (videos mostly due to their size) then I delete most of it from the phone. Just works man! Glad I went with the 8GB coming from a 16GB 4S that was never close to full.

I haven't had to compromise and cut anything except on big games like Grand Theft Auto 3, Mass Effect, and FIFA which I had on my iPhone but have so far chosen not to download on my nexus due to how little I even played them.

In other news, I still have that plastic on the back of my phone that comes with the phone out of the box. After almost a month of having the phone. Lol

It's the most perfect cut ever it goes right to the very edge of the phone unlike the one on the front which isn't as fitted. You can't notice it except for the IMEI sticker and the small cutout around the camera lens. Hey, some people pay money for those invisi-skins that are basically the same exact thing! I'll probably keep it on until my honeymoon period with the phone is over in a few weeks and when I won't really care about making small scratches anymore. I'm weird.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Okay so I've been using this for a week and I have to say that this phone is really really great. I didn't expect to notice such a dramatic speed difference between it and my galaxy nexus, but wow, it's blazing fast. Feels great in the hand too, although it is a bit heavier than I'm used to. I like how the notification LED looks now, and the Nexus lettering on the back is really classy.

Haven't rooted it yet, going to use it for a while to see if I really need to root it or not, but played around with the visuals a bit.

Screenshot_2012-12-07-09-23-27.png
Screenshot_2012-12-07-09-23-36.png

Looks really nice on the gorgeous screen.

I am worried about how slippery it is though. It's okay when it's in hand, but slides around like crazy on a desk. I really don't want to get a case, so I might opt for a pouch or something.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The kerning on those months is killing me.

It's not ideal, just what I had to work with so far :(

It's really bad on the lettering for the dock icons due to limitations on how wide the icon creator I used could be. Wasn't sure if I was going to root and flash a new rom or not, so I didn't bother putting too much effort into it.

abunai

Update on the undervolting I was trying out. Phone came off the charger on Wednesday at 6pm local time, been running since then. Testing normal/medium usage. Typical day is ~2 hours web browsing, ~2 hours music, ~30 texts, ~1hr phone, with a bunch of random playing about in between. Screen on time is 4 hours 40 minutes roughly. Wifi at home/work, 3G on bus/train. All data off during sleep.

Well worth it.

abunai

Damn almost 5 hours screen time? I think normally I get 3 on a good day. That's really interesting.

I did a test of burning through the battery from 100% to 0% to see how the undervolting handled extreme usage and I got around 6 hours 15 minutes screen on time, which is so great.

DrFurbs

Okay so I've been using this for a week and I have to say that this phone is really really great. I didn't expect to notice such a dramatic speed difference between it and my galaxy nexus, but wow, it's blazing fast. Feels great in the hand too, although it is a bit heavier than I'm used to. I like how the notification LED looks now, and the Nexus lettering on the back is really classy.

Haven't rooted it yet, going to use it for a while to see if I really need to root it or not, but played around with the visuals a bit.

I am worried about how slippery it is though. It's okay when it's in hand, but slides around like crazy on a desk. I really don't want to get a case, so I might opt for a pouch or something.

How did you do that to the screen? Im waiting on my N4 to arrive and that looks spiffy.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Been playing with my phone since last night and thoroughly impressed. Coming from the gnex I have been genuinely surprised. Didn't realize how over saturated the colors were on the gnex till now. The N4 screen is beautiful.

Pros
- build quality, great looking piece of technology like a "precious jewel"
- beautiful screen, images look like they are on the surface, finger glides so smooth on it
- hspa+ speeds, getting 15Mbps-24Mbps consistently with TMobile
- snappy and extremely fast

Cons
- battery life, so far this morning it has gone down 30% in 3 hours with light use
- slippery and can for see a lot of cracked phones

Overall impressed. Possibly the best phone I have ever owned.

If anyone is still interested in one have 3 for sale. Thought I would give you guys a chance first before going on eBay.

KarmaCow

Since the bumper seems to be out of stock, anyone have recommendations for a simple case since this seems to be so slippery?

twofold

I did a test of burning through the battery from 100% to 0% to see how the undervolting handled extreme usage and I got around 6 hours 15 minutes screen on time, which is so great.

Is it difficult to do the undervolting mod? If not, are there any guides out there?

Is it difficult to do the undervolting mod? If not, are there any guides out there?

You need to be rooted and an app that will allow you to UV. It really is quite simple. I have a global UV at -100 and the phone works great. Some people go down to -150 but I really don't care that much to try it that low. Also will depend on the kernel and hardware as no two chips are created equal.

twofold

You need to be rooted and an app that will allow you to UV. It really is quite simple. I have a global UV at -100 and the phone works great. Some people go down to -150 but I really don't care that much to try it that low. Also will depend on the kernel and hardware as no two chips are created equal.

So i root it, swap the kernel and install the app to undervolt it, right?

Any recommended kernels? And do I have to swap out the ROM or can I just leave it as stock?

I'm new to this android stuff so apologies if the questions are dumb.

Any recommended kernels? And do I have to swap out the ROM or can I just leave it as stock?

You don't have to flash a new kernel but there are many changes that help improve performance/battery life. You can still use an AOSP ROM.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1912

I personally use faux's kernel but I have heard great things about Matrix.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ccc71.pmw&hl=en

App I use to UV (thanks to whoever suggested that in this thread)

Hieberrr

Three damn full weeks now and I still haven't gotten my case from China. I've had the shittiest luck with eBay this last month. 3 separately botched orders. Ugh... I just ordered the diztronic case through the official site, so I hope it shows up next week.

abunai

Some kernels (such as matrix) have pre-defined undervolts which you can't change. Probably the safest bet for someone new to android/don't want to experiment. You'd just root, and flash the kernel .zip through recovery mode. If you were to install a custom rom, the rom will come packaged with it's own kernel so you'd be required to root, flash the rom first then flash the desired kernel afterwards. Then you can use apps like the one FallingEdge mentioned to monitor/control voltage/clock speeds etc. I'm going for a run just now but if you are thinking about doing it soon I'm willing to IM while you do it in case something goes nuts/you have questions.

I don't know what happened, but my phone's battery life is so, so much better than when I first got it. Previously, I'd limp along at the end of the night trying to keep it alive till I could get back to the charger, but now, I'll go to bed and it'll have 60% left on the battery! ...I'm even using a live wallpaper!

Is it 4.2.1? The better battery life seems to have started around when I updated the phone, but that update shouldn't have changed much; otherwise, I can't think of what it might be.

Meanwhile, I am in love with this phone! The OS feels just as snappy as my girlfriend's iPhone, I'm really digging the Google ecosystem and location integration, and the build quality is impressive! (part of that might be that I've come from the worst phone in existence, the HTC Hero)

derder

I bought one to resell it. The CL market crashed two weeks ago. What should I do with mine? It gets delivered tomorrow.

I don't know what happened, but my phone's battery life is so, so much better than when I first got it. Previously, I'd limp along at the end of the night trying to keep it alive till I could get back to the charger, but now, I'll go to bed and it'll have 60% left on the battery! ...I'm even using a live wallpaper!

Is it 4.2.1? The better battery life seems to have started around when I updated the phone, but that update shouldn't have changed much; otherwise, I can't think of what it might be.

Meanwhile, I am in love with this phone! The OS feels just as snappy as my girlfriend's iPhone, I'm really digging the Google ecosystem and location integration, and the build quality is impressive! (part of that might be that I've come from the worst phone in existence, the HTC Hero)
Your screen on time has probably changed as you're less mesmerized by it.

Bruiserk

Whoa,, how did you get your lockscreen like that?

Also, wallpaper?

Cigol

I've found there are quite a few apps like online banking etc which won't work on a rooted device.

Also what's the crack with photosphere, how are you supposed to get it all nice. I do one good portion and then when I go to fill in the gaps it's like a patchwork horror... There must be some secret to it?

I've found there are quite a few apps like online banking etc which won't work on a rooted device.

Also what's the crack with photosphere, how are you supposed to get it all nice. I do one good portion and then when I go to fill in the gaps it's like a patchwork horror... There must be some secret to it?

If you're doing it indoors, it's hit or miss for me, depending on how open the space is. Outside, it always works 100% for me.

Are you referring to the influx of incoming iphone users?

Yes.

Top Bottom