• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 available as of now, starting at $349

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
My phone arrived earlier today and I'm loving it so far. Despite the larger screen and more chiseled edges I actually think it feels better in the hand than my outgoing N4.

Straight Talk LTE is fairly impressive for those shopping for a prepaid carrier.

aaexPvB.jpg
Is this T-Mobile or ATT?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Verge video review: "The Moto X has a better camera than the Nexus 5" (paraphrase)

wat

Chris R

Use a two-finger swipe down and then press and hold on wi-fi to toggle it. Works pretty damn well, actually.
Can I change it to show that tray on one finger pulldown? Since I'm using my thumb to do it.

App clean up sucks, but I have to do it sometime.

Haint

I'm locked into a family plan, and apparently we aren't allowed to change that plan for another year, but I am allowed a subsidized phone, for some reason. So even if I did pay full price, I'd still be locked into the same plan for another year.

I'd make sure they're talking about an actual subsidy and not just misrepresenting their interest free financing monthly installment scheme. Reps and the media like to say such and such is $100 or $200 on Tmo and conveniently omit the 24 monthly installments of $20 (which totals full marked up retail price).

xtop

not that it's a big deal at all. but is there any way to get all the texts from my nexus 4 onto the nexus 5?

L-gon

Can I change it to show that tray on one finger pulldown? Since I'm using my thumb to do it.

App clean up sucks, but I have to do it sometime.

I'm pretty sure there's no stock option to make this adjustment but if you're willing to tinker, it probably wouldn't take much doing.

Chris R

I'm pretty sure there's no stock option to make this adjustment but if you're willing to tinker, it probably wouldn't take much doing.
I guess I'll dig around tomorrow. Maybe I'll find something to get rid of the Google search bar on my home screen as well.

My phone arrived earlier today and I'm loving it so far. Despite the larger screen and more chiseled edges I actually think it feels better in the hand than my outgoing N4.

Straight Talk LTE is fairly impressive for those shopping for a prepaid carrier.

aaexPvB.jpg

WOW really?

Is this normal for the USA? Seems pretty shit.

In Australia I get like 65mb down and 30 up.

Where I work I get 30 up and 22 down....

Well I just activated my phone, and it has 3 dead pixels right next to each other in the bottom right corner. Noticed it pretty much right away when I loaded up hangouts and it switched to that all white background. Super sad face :(

So no more left home screen I'm assuming? I disabled Google Now, but still can't add icons/widgets to the left of the main home screen. Kinda miss that little guy to the left :(

The nexus 5 defects thread is making me nervous. Issues range from annoying to major:
  • Dead or stuck pixels
  • Dust under screen
  • Light bleeding
  • Rattling/wiggly buttons
  • Severe banding on screen (that's a definite RMA)
  • Overly loud and ineffective vibrator/vibration motor
  • Unusually bad viewing angles
Has anyone experienced any of these issues? A lot of these accounts are coming from the UK, and I'm not sure if any of these issues apply to the North American version. Phone arriving tomorrow. I hope the UPS guy doesn't chuck it at the front door.

malyce

The nexus 5 defects thread is making me nervous. Issues range from annoying to major:
  • Dead or stuck pixels
  • Dust under screen
  • Light bleeding
Has anyone experienced any of these issues? A lot of these accounts are coming from the UK, and I'm not sure if any of these issues apply to the North American version. Phone arriving tomorrow. I hope the UPS guy doesn't chuck it at the front door.

This is why I'm gonna wait till February/March to get mine, just as I did with the N4. By that time there'll be 1 or 2 revisions and my chances of receiving one with defects should be reduced significantly.

• Dead or stuck pixels
  • Dust under screen
  • Light bleeding

Not here. I though find people who complain about light bleed usually exaggerate it a lot.

And viewing angles? Really? What fucking angle to people view their phones?

Dead Pixels is probably the most common issue you will find.

This is why I'm gonna wait till February/March to get mine, just as I did with the N4. By that time there'll be 1 or 2 revisions and my chances of receiving one with defects should be reduced significantly.
I usually follow a similar process and this will probably be the last time I become an early adopter of hardware. I heard the RMA process for the N4 was a a gamble and took up a lot of time. It's not uncommon to receive a replacement with another set of issues out of a whole list of them.

thespot84

Not here. I though find people who complain about light bleed usually exaggerate it a lot.

And viewing angles? Really? What fucking angle to people view their phones?

Dead Pixels is probably the most common issue you will find.
It's an IPS display. If you can't see the screen at almost all viewing angles then something is likely wrong with it.

Cipherr

Yes. Telstra, is our biggest provider and have one of the largest and most powerful networks in the world.

Dwarfs what we normally see here. I have seen I think near 40 down before on a phone. Early in Verizons rollout before they had so many people on LTE phones, but these days 20-35 is pretty good. Never seen anyone break 50 in the US though.

It's an IPS display. If you can't see the screen at almost all viewing angles then something is likely wrong with it.

What angle are they trying to see what on the screen? Even if I hold the phone up so the screen is a straight line from my eyes I can see it. But I don't know anybody who uses a phone that way.

I could see a video was playing on the screen with phone on my desk and me 6 steps away from it standing up.

Anybody complaining about viewing angles would have to show me what the exact issue they are experiencing is and how it affects their use of a mobile phone.

• Dead or stuck pixels
  • Dust under screen
  • Light bleeding
there's a thread like that for every flagship on XDA

there's a thread like that for every flagship on XDA
Haha, I'm sure you're right, being XDA and all. I'll be getting my phone tomorrow and put their claims to the test.

If I keep hoping that the UPS guy doesn't chuck my package like many other times before, will my wish eventually come true? Probably not. They have a stressful work environment.

People who complain about light bleed are the worst. Always some asshole that does 20 exchanges because he thinks there's too much light coming out the side smh.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Holy shit two finger pull down.

Everything is so easy to use an fast now. I'm coming from 2.2 to 4.4 baby. All this beautiful UI/GUI usability ;_;
  • Dead or stuck pixels
  • Dust under screen
  • Light bleeding
nope
nope
nope
*I had to put the phone to my ear and shake it, but my power button does make a hard plastic on plastic noise. Volume is okay.
nope
vibrator motor feels like its super tiny and working real hard real quick
nope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom