• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 available as of now, starting at $349

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Would anyone mind if I made the OT? And if I made it tomorrow?

(Subtitle suggestions go!)

EmiPrime

I saw that, thought about posting about it and just gave up. I already ranted about that earlier in the thread.

It's shocking to me that people with half a brain don't care about the actual cost of something. Especially when there is the added "cost" of not being able to get a new phone for two years unless you pay that huge amount anyway. We all know what most of these phones are like by the end of a contract like that...

They are completely out of touch with normal people, stuck in their tech journalist bubble. When shopping around in the Nexus 5's price range for a sim free phone the competition isn't an iPhone 5S, it's a 4S.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
2hrs and 30 min off the charger. 30 min screen on time, on LTE. Still 92%.

Also, my apartment is dimly lit, and the pictures are still bright and vivid.

So far, so:

Antonio-Banderas-computer-you-got-me-yospos-reaction-13677939419.gif

30 min screen on time? That would get my GN to 30-40%. Maybe even less if I was browsing GAF aggressively on 4G.

I literally cannot wait until my N5 gets here. I had to bring a charger with me to an event today and I hated being "that guy." We got there at 8am, and I had to plug it in by 10! And I had to plug it in one more time before we left at 1pm! Ugh.

UGH

SAVE ME, NEXUS 5

Cipherr

Another dumb statement from that Verge review:

That's a pretty lame way to undercut the incredible value of this phone.

Yeah, it's cheap, but it's not cheap compared to on-contract phones, even though they're heavily subsidized and end up costing twice as much when all is said and done.

Talk about moving the fucking goal posts.

Yeah I don't really know what they can possibly do in this situation. To make them happy with the device I mean. Bump the price $300 bucks but match the S4 camera, and the G2 battery size, and the Aluminum body of the HTC One...

But would they be happy? Or say Google was losing their way since Nexus devices are supposed to be 'affordable' for the average person?

tirminyl

Anyone activated on Sprint yet? I order my sim card today in preparation for my 32GB nexus arriving later this week...

What number did you call to order your sim? I've been fighting with people for hours saying that I have to wait until Friday and then go to a Sprint Store.

I am interested as well. I did not think of this, so if I can, I would like to pick one up tomorrow.

I've also been reading that some are having problems activating the 32gb versions on Sprints network as the IMEI for the 32gb phones aren't in their system but the 16gb versions are a-ok. Trying to find more info.

http://productforums.google.com/forum/?nomobile=true#!topic/nexus/pWGKq9bZfB4[51-75-true]
30 min screen on time? That would get my GN to 30-40%. Maybe even less if I was browsing GAF aggressively on 4G.

I literally cannot wait until my N5 gets here. I had to bring a charger with me to an event today and I hated being "that guy." We got there at 8am, and I had to plug it in by 10! And I had to plug it in one more time before we left at 1pm! Ugh.

UGH

SAVE ME, NEXUS 5

Geez. I guess my GN is pretty bad too. Off the charger at 6:30am it drops to 92% while idle at home and on the 40m bus ride to work listening to podcast and browsing Gaf or other sites, it can drop to 70% or lower. By 8am or shortly after, I can hit 50%........... Then it goes on the charger. This is even with the extended 2300 battery.

I'm with you bro!

Kamek

Geez. I guess my GN is pretty bad too. Off the charger at 6:30am it drops to 92% while idle at home and on the 40m bus ride to work listening to podcast and browsing Gaf or other sites, it can drop to 70% or lower. By 8am or shortly after, I can hit 50%........... Then it goes on the charger. This is even with the extended 2300 battery.

I'm with you bro!

My GNex has been on the same shit too. Can't wait for my N5 to come tomorrow! I just have to get a micro sim.

tmaynard

I am interested as well. I did not think of this, so if I can, I would like to pick one up tomorrow.

I've also been reading that some are having problems activating the 32gb versions on Sprints network as the IMEI for the 32gb phones aren't in their system but the 16gb versions are a-ok. Trying to find more info.

It's not looking good for us folks that ordered the 32GB on Sprint. I've been told to wait until Friday as well. Knowing Sprint, it's misinformed blind guessing. It's almost guaranteed that we will show up to a Sprint Store on Friday and they will act like they have no idea what we are talking about.

tirminyl

It's not looking good for us folks that ordered the 32GB on Sprint. I've been told to wait until Friday as well. Knowing Sprint, it's misinformed blind guessing. It's almost guaranteed that we will show up to a Sprint Store on Friday and they will act like they have no idea what we are talking about.

Sprint Employee - "...I'm not sure what that is but we don't sell the Galaxy Nexus anymore."

CronoShot

As far as I know, you get to keep your phone until they send your replacement.. then you put your phone in the replacement box and send it back off to them. The N4s had their share of issues on launch as well, and I thiiiiinkk that's how it was handled.

Yeah, been doing a bit of research and it seems like that's how it goes. Which is awesome, because there's nothing wrong with it otherwise, so I would like to keep it until I get a replacement.

I've had the Ringke slim case on my nexus4 and I love it. It adds hardly any girth to the phone and have saved my phone from drops multiple times. Ordered the ringke slim 5 case as well from amazon.

Anyone have a clue when this will be subsidized on T-Mobile? Hopefully by the end of the year...
By the end of the year you should have saved up enough to buy the phone from Google directly and keep $130+ in your pocket that you would have otherwise been paying tmobile*

*assuming the device is at $49 down, it could likely be more

It's in a heavy populated area where T-Mobile has many customers. HSPA was way slower for me.

I have AT&T in NY and get at least 10mbps on LTE and I consider that bad.

10mbps is indeed laughable for LTE.

T-Mobile 3G is faster:

This was LTE on my Nexus 4, much higher upload and lower ping (results near the top):

Right now, LTE is busted on my Nexus 5, and I assume SimleuqiR's too. We probably have to call to get our IMEI's provisioned for LTE usage. On T-Mo's site, it still thinks I'm on my Nexus 4, and they don't have the Nexus 5 in their system yet.

SimleuqiR

Right now, LTE is busted on my Nexus 5, and I assume SimleuqiR's too. We probably have to call to get our IMEI's provisioned for LTE usage. On T-Mo's site, it still thinks I'm on my Nexus 4, and they don't have the Nexus 5 in their system yet.

Ah...that make sense.

I will probably call them tomorrow.

CronoShot

On another note, gaming performance seems pretty spectacular on this.

Asphalt 8 defaults to high settings (my HTC One defaulted to medium) and has a better framerate to boot.

kinn

Just got the phone today and so far I'm loving it!

Quick question regarding the ok google now voice feature....how does it work? I'm trying it by using the command but nothing happens!

By the way I have enabled google now.

tylerf

Just got the phone today and so far I'm loving it!

Quick question regarding the ok google now voice feature....how does it work? I'm trying it by using the command but nothing happens!

By the way I have enabled google now.

Language needs to be set to US English if you are outside of The States.

Brofist

Glad to hear so many positive impressions. An definitely getting an N5. I was leaning toward a Note 3 for a while.

On a side note what is it about phones compared to other things that brings out the tension in the fans. I feel like I lost a friend today because I'm switching from iPhone, shit's ridiculous.

L-gon

My phone arrived earlier today and I'm loving it so far. Despite the larger screen and more chiseled edges I actually think it feels better in the hand than my outgoing N4.

Straight Talk LTE is fairly impressive for those shopping for a prepaid carrier.

aaexPvB.jpg

Akira

My phone arrived earlier today and I'm loving it so far. Despite the larger screen and more chiseled edges I actually think it feels better in the hand than my outgoing N4.

Straight Talk LTE is fairly impressive for those shopping for a prepaid carrier.

aaexPvB.jpg

I have Straight Talk. If I'm using an ATT sim, does that mean I get LTE?

L-gon

I have Straight Talk. If I'm using an ATT sim, does that mean I get LTE?

If you acquired your current SIM prior to ~mid-September this year, I believe you have to order one of the new LTE-compatible SIMs. I spent the $6.99 just to be certain.

Chavelo

So, here's my situation with Sprint and this phone:

I'm eligible for an upgrade/contract renewal at the moment, got another 4 months or so until I'm able to get out of the contract if I want to. I really want to get a new phone and I'm a sucker for Google products, so it's either buying the phone outright from Google and being able to take it to T-Mobile later on the year or renew my Sprint contract, get the Nexus 5 with them and use the Sprint One-Up program to upgrade said phone if I want to a year from now, but stay with them two more years...

What would you guys do if you were in the same boat, Android-GAF? D:

hitsugi

UPS arrived at my house right after I did :D nice.

The phone is indeed gorgeous, and I appreciate how lightweight it is. Definitely prefer the black feel over white, and uhh... with a 2 bar signal I got 14/10 speeds on ATT's LTE network. Beats the 5-7 meg I was getting with their HSPA on my N4 D:

I'm hoping Nova Launcher updates to incorporate the transparent nav and notification bars.. I love so much about that app, but the transparent nav bar in particular is a huge thing to me, so.. I may go with the stock launcher for a bit.

Edit: strange note - those bars are only transparent on the homescreen......................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom