• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 available as of now, starting at $349

Status
Not open for further replies.

rc213

Seriously hate ups driver assigned to my area. I specifically leave only my screen door closed and the asshole doesn't knock or yell. Just looked in and started walking away.

Still setting up the new phone but I just love the feel in hand much more than the Galaxy S4.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
White N5 is best N5. So glad everyone is going for black. Boring!

Holy shit two finger pull down.

Everything is so easy to use an fast now. I'm coming from 2.2 to 4.4 baby. All this beautiful UI/GUI usability ;_;

nope
nope
nope
nope
nope
vibrator motor feels like its super tiny and working real hard real quick
nope

I think my phone may have been 2.3 but it seems we're pretty close in upgrading. I can't wait until tomorrow!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
White N5 is best N5. So glad everyone is going for black. Boring!

Enjoy your smudges and stains in a few months! Not to mention the inferior material.

Silky N7 soft touch
wAvFoG6.png

Cheap ass matte plastic
QQJUwUJ.png

Auto brightness feels like it needs adjusting, I'm in a well lit office and the screen is like a secondary light source!

Oh well, let's see how the battery copes today.

nildem

So does anyone know if it's possible to use a live wallpaper on the lock screen, via app or otherwise? IIRC, I had that option on the S4 but I can't seem to find it on the N5.

The nexus 5 defects thread is making me nervous. Issues range from annoying to major:
  • Dead or stuck pixels
  • Dust under screen
  • Light bleeding
  • Rattling/wiggly buttons
  • Severe banding on screen (that's a definite RMA)
  • Overly loud and ineffective vibrator/vibration motor
  • Unusually bad viewing angles
Has anyone experienced any of these issues? A lot of these accounts are coming from the UK, and I'm not sure if any of these issues apply to the North American version. Phone arriving tomorrow. I hope the UPS guy doesn't chuck it at the front door.

So after seeing this list I decided to see if I can find any dead pixels as I haven't noticed any. Started to get disappointed when I could see at least 2 of them. Changed the wallpaper and they went. Then I thought they maybe they show more depending on the colour around them. Put the original wallpaper back on and you can clearly see them. As it happens, they weren't dead pixels, but stars in the image. It's the pink/purple mountain image!

IpFZKnu.png

Don't have any of the issues above. Volume and power buttons feel fine, no rattling. No dust, or bleeding. Vibration is fine. The only very slight complaint really is the low volume, but I doubt I'll ever miss a call due to it. Maybe it was a small batch with issues?

Coming from a GS3, it does feel a little basic with some features, especially with the camera. Fuck me it feels great in the hand though. White 16gb.

Esqueleto

Banned
UPS hasn't updated since google created the label at 5 am saturday. I was mad it didn't go out friday since i bought it when it went on sale.Now, I'm just hoping UPS just hasn't updated the tracking number so I can get it tomorrow.

verbum

Yes, it has a notification led
I heard on a podcast that you can change the color of the LED. Here it is:

Light Flow Lite- change the color for different notifications.
This program will allow you to control the notification color for
* SMS messages,
* MMS messages,
* New Gmail messages
* New e-mails
* Calendar reminders
* Missed calls
* Low battery
* Bluethooth
* Google Talk notifications / Hangouts
* Handcent
* No signal
* SMS Popup
* ChompSMS
* K9 mail
* Silent mode

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rageconsulting.android.lightflowlite&hl=en

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Just got mine, I'll play with it a little later. It's a tad taller than than the nexus 4, otherwise it's pretty much the same size.

JordanKZ

The nexus 5 defects thread is making me nervous. Issues range from annoying to major:
  • Dead or stuck pixels
  • Dust under screen
  • Light bleeding
Has anyone experienced any of these issues? A lot of these accounts are coming from the UK, and I'm not sure if any of these issues apply to the North American version. Phone arriving tomorrow. I hope the UPS guy doesn't chuck it at the front door.

Not a single problem with mine here in the UK. Very much enjoying it.

The white N5 might have 'worse' material use, but knowing which way up your phone is at all times is well worth it :p

Doopliss

• Dead or stuck pixels
  • Dust under screen
  • Light bleeding
I posted this before, but one of the rows of pixels on my N5 has green subpixels which constantly flicker on and off. Google are sending me a replacement.

Moff

arent dead pixels usual? are there devices with guaranteed no dead pixels?
its always my biggest fear with buying new tech gadgets, luckily I never had any, neither does my N5.
I do admit though the button doesnt feel really good, I wouldnt go so far and call it wiggly, but it does feel cheap and could have smoother edges.

jey_16

Banned
well i just ordered a 32GB black! cant believe i just did that but i couldn't resist

hopefully i should be able to sell my One to cover most of the cost

What mythical plan are you on that would allow you to take advantage of those speeds for more than a couple of minutes a month?

See, when I read things like that I assume your with a pretty shit carrier or something.

The thing people don't understand about Telstra is that your Ping is always around 30ms.

You can even game on their 4G devices and they even sell a router for it.

What plan? Any plan, when I click a video, it fucking loads instantly, when I click any link it loads instantly.

Other carriers in Australia are garbage generally people on those other two get somewhere between 70ms and 180ms Ping's.

I can more about the Ping then I do download speed.

Doopliss

Did you have to send the current one in first?
No. I got the impression over the phone that the replacement would come with a label for returning the dud. It's not made totally clear from the confirmation emails I got, but I'm hoping that's the case.

I did have to authorise payment for the replacement my card. They say that will be cancelled when they receive the faulty one. Slightly worryingly, they say they'll take payment if they haven't received it within 21 days... but, though the dude on the phone said the replacement should be despatched within 5 days, it's listing 2-3 weeks on their website.

zbeeb

No. I got the impression over the phone that the replacement would come with a label for returning the dud. It's not made totally clear from the confirmation emails I got, but I'm hoping that's the case.

I did have to authorise payment for the replacement my card. They say that will be cancelled when they receive the faulty one. Slightly worryingly, they say they'll take payment if they haven't received it within 21 days... but, though the dude on the phone said the replacement should be despatched within 5 days, it's listing 2-3 weeks on their website.

I've done the RMA process with my nexus 4. They'll send you out a new phone and then you can print off a return label and book a date with the courier to pick up the old one. Turnaround time shouldn't be more than 10 days total.

For some reason the courier didn't come when I booked it so I emailed support and Google extended the 21 day period to make sure I didn't get charged.

Its actually a really good system overall.

Nicktendo86

I've done the RMA process with my nexus 4. They'll send you out a new phone and then you can print off a return label and book a date with the courier to pick up the old one. Turnaround time shouldn't be more than 10 days total.

For some reason the courier didn't come when I booked it so I emailed support and Google extended the 21 day period to make sure I didn't get charged.

Sounds good and is why I will buy my devices direct from Google from now on rather than messing around.

I fucking hate the Google Store so much. I ordered 20 minutes after it went on sale(Black 32 GB) and it still says pending, while other people ordered hours or the next day and already got theirs.

abracadaver

how do you install or activate widgets ??

for a weather app for example ?

and how do you make whatsapp messages appear in the lockscreen ?

where is the notification LED of the nexus ?

why isnt the calendar app showing the current day ? it shows 31st

Doopliss

That's reassuring. Thanks.

I tried to take a picture showing the problem. Best I could get was this auto-enhanced animation. Doesn't show up too well but it's the horizontal row of pixels in line with the bottom of larger of the two dots indicating the homescreen pages.

No screen defects on my unit - at least nothing that I've noticed. Thank God. I'll remain vigilant for the foreseeable future.

I asked this a couple of pages ago, but do we know what sort of glass is covering the camera lens? I want to get a better idea of its durability and scratch resistance so I know how delicate I need to be with it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just now checking out my phone. Haven't noticed any problems with the screen or anything else yet. No sim right now, will have to go down to AT&T for one once they open.

Fraxin

I fucking hate the Google Store so much. I ordered 20 minutes after it went on sale(Black 32 GB) and it still says pending, while other people ordered hours or the next day and already got theirs.

I ordered a Black 32 GB same as you the next day, and its still pending. However I think its weird that you ordered the same day, so you weren't supposed to be given the 2-3 weeks shipment.

I ordered a Black 32 GB same as you the next day, and its still pending. However I think its weird that you ordered the same day, so you weren't supposed to be given the 2-3 weeks shipment.

I'm very close to canceling the order. Fuck it, I've been with out a smart phone this long. I can survive some more and not deal with the shitty google store.

Fraxin

I'm very close to canceling the order. Fuck it, I've been with out a smart phone this long. I can survive some more and not deal with the shitty google store.

Patience my friend, you have every right to overeact. Just give it some time. Btw they are shipping according to what, I don't think its according to who ordered first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom