• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Ark

There's your problem.

Facebook uses 3 constantly running services that eat around 140-160MB of RAM. Because fuck optimisation.

I'm still getting ~700mb of RAM used up even after force stopping Facebook :l

I've got: Settings, com.qualcomm, google play services (twice for some reason), exchange services, hangouts, and google keyboard.

yyzjohn

Banned
I'm still getting ~700mb of RAM used up even after force stopping Facebook :l

I've got: Settings, com.qualcomm, google play services (twice for some reason), exchange services, hangouts, and google keyboard.

I went into Facebook app and turned off the refresh interval. I don't need Facebook constantly checking for updates, I just do it manually when I want to launch the app. Battery life seems way better since i've done that. Used to check every hour.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
sometimes when I set my Nexus 5 down it makes a Bloopdebkooop cascading kind of sound.
has anyone else had this issue and what might it mean?

Nivash

I get way better battery life than that and it just keeps getting better.

December 31 - January 1 over 35 hours off charger with over 3 hours of screen on time. LTE enabled the entire time, totally stock just using ART:

Right now 29 hours of charger and 60% battery left but just over an hour screen time:

My battery life just keeps getting better and better every day and now I often don't even charge my phone overnight because for my usage I can easily get two days of a charge.

EDIT: I am also using Lux Lite to control my auto screen brightness and have it set to +15% which is very bright in all light conditions. Great app!

Holy crap, that's impressive! I'm also running just stock with ART. I'll try out Lux Lite then although I doubt it will make much of a difference. Most reviews I've read had battery times in my range.

On the plus side I got the "good screen". Some reviewers got devices with a more yellow screen colour and questionable viewing angles. Not me though, cool colour and perfect angles. Maybe I'm paying for it with battery time instead.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm using NFC payments constantly these days. Toys R Us, Walgreens, Peets... always on the lookout for retailers that accept it. I hope adoption increases. Looking forward to the day when I don't need to carry a single card in my wallet.

Honestly I'm disappointed in google wallet at the moment, there just aren't many companies listed in its database right now. You can add a lot of stuff manually but it's not the same. if they don't natively integrate into Google Wallet then they probably don't accept NFC payments.

I got into a weather related accident over the weekend and dropped my white GS3 into a snow drift during a blizzard while trying to dig my car out. So I've ordered a Nexus 5 from the Google Play store. Any shipping problems currently? Anything to be looking out for?

Zushin

Looking to get a Nexus 5 next week, just looking for case recommendations in the mean time. The official google ones are fairly expensive and the black and grey ones are sold out (I live in Australia). The Spigel ones looks pretty good; which variant do you guys recommend? The Ultra Hybrid looks like it could be good with the transparent back + free screen protector. Thoughts?

Edit: Although reading some reviews just now, it looks like dust and lint can build up in the back. Hmm.

Edit 2: Went with the Neo Hybrid.

OK guys, can anyone help me with an issue I've been having for the past few days?

My battery life has sharply decreased, and looking at the Battery stats in the Settings shows that there is a process called "com.android.chrome:sand" that is currently using about 35% of the phone's resources. I can't force stop it and my battery is going down 1% every couple of minutes.

My phone has been on battery for 2 hours 45 minutes, with 1.5 hours screentime and it's on 26%. This is ridiculous.

EDIT: 28 minutes later and it's on 14%.

I can't find anything about it online.

OK guys, can anyone help me with an issue I've been having for the past few days?

My battery life has sharply decreased, and looking at the Battery stats in the Settings shows that there is a process called "com.android.chrome:sand" that is currently using about 35% of the phone's resources. I can't force stop it and my battery is going down 1% every couple of minutes.

My phone has been on battery for 2 hours 45 minutes, with 1.5 hours screentime and it's on 26%. This is ridiculous.

Try force stopping Chrome and clearing the user data and cache. :sand is short for sandbox and is the file space that Chrome is given so it doesn't have access to the rest of the phone.

Husker86

Did you restart the phone?

Alpende

Getting mine tomorrow. I could have had it today but I had to leave. I even saw the truck driver in my street but I couldn't wait or else I would have been too late for an appointment.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I really want one of those QuickCovers, but at that price...

I have the official LG QuickCover. Yeah, a bit expensive for what it, but I really like it. Gives great protection on all sides when you're not using the phone, and on all but the screen side when you are. And the "Quick" part of it is great, I love having the screen turn on as soon as I flip the lid open rather than having to press the Power button. Same with locking the phone, I just close the lid and it's instantly locked. Really convenient.

snack

I have the official LG QuickCover. Yeah, a bit expensive for what it, but I really like it. Gives great protection on all sides when you're not using the phone, and on all but the screen side when you are. And the "Quick" part of it is great, I love having the screen turn on as soon as I flip the lid open rather than having to press the Power button. Same with locking the phone, I just close the lid and it's instantly locked. Really convenient.

How's the wear and tear on the quick cover? I am thinking about getting one.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How's the wear and tear on the quick cover? I am thinking about getting one.

I've only had mine for ~2 weeks, so I don't know if I can say all that much about that yet, but it's holding up fine so far. I'm flipping it open and closed many times every day.

th3dude

I've only had mine for ~2 weeks, so I don't know if I can say all that much about that yet, but it's holding up fine so far. I'm flipping it open and closed many times every day.

Just now seeing this case. Seems really cool, especially considering the fact that I'm debating getting a Pebble watch, which would solve the notification issue. Seems like a perfect match.

Going to get mine tomorrow I think. I was going to get it from Google Play direct but I might just pop into O2 and see what they have to offer. Anyway...

Did the latest update help the camera? I do take lots of photos with mine, allow really just snaps as I have an SLR. I am coming from an iPhone 4S so would be good if it's at least as good as that camera. Is it?

Is there a way to mute the phone when it's locked? The switch on the side of iPhone is really handy!

Apps. I can't see a dedicated Android thread so I am just running through my mind of what to download when I get one.

Pocket
Dash Clock
Pocket Casts
Snap seed
Twitter
Drop Box
Zedge
Yahoo Weather? iPhone one is ace
Skype (I assume there is one for Android)

Any good Alarm clock apps? Timely good?

Thanks!

TeegsD

So my Note 2 fell and is kinda fucked; my contract ends only in December so I think Im gonna bite the bullet and grab the Nexus 5. Looks incredibly sexy and the price almost makes it a no brainer. Does anyone know if Sprint charges you for switching in a phone you got elsewhere?

Cudder

Looking to get a Nexus 5 next week, just looking for case recommendations in the mean time. The official google ones are fairly expensive and the black and grey ones are sold out (I live in Australia). The Spigel ones looks pretty good; which variant do you guys recommend? The Ultra Hybrid looks like it could be good with the transparent back + free screen protector. Thoughts?

Edit: Although reading some reviews just now, it looks like dust and lint can build up in the back. Hmm.

Edit 2: Went with the Neo Hybrid.

I have the Neo Hybrid and I love it.

this_guy

So my Note 2 fell and is kinda fucked; my contract ends only in December so I think Im gonna bite the bullet and grab the Nexus 5. Looks incredibly sexy and the price almost makes it a no brainer. Does anyone know if Sprint charges you for switching in a phone you got elsewhere?

They shouldn't- I used to do esn changes online with phones I bought from craigslist when I had Sprint. With the Nexus you might need to go to a Sprint store to pick up a SIM card for data/lte to work.

Ondore

Hi Nexu5-GAF:

Much like Teegs5, I have a Note 2 that fell victim to gravity over the holidays, and I'm looking to go to the N5. I have an upgrade through my carrier, or next month (I'm willing to wait), I'll grab one from the Play Store.

My question is for anyone on Rogers specifically - how much crapware do they shove on the phone? Is it loaded down as I think it is, and do they delay updates? (Bonus question: What are the chances it's SIM-unlocked out of the box if I go through Rogers?)

So I got my Nexus tonight, and I've got some issue. I'm on Sprint if that matters, but a voicemail indicator popped up on my phone that won't go away. I call the voicemail and there are no messages or anything. It just won't go away (unless I force quit the Phone app, but it just comes back later).

This is the first unlocked phone I've ever had, so I guess I didn't realize there wasn't a stock visual voicemail app either. Suggestions?

cjkeats

Hi Nexu5-GAF:

Much like Teegs5, I have a Note 2 that fell victim to gravity over the holidays, and I'm looking to go to the N5. I have an upgrade through my carrier, or next month (I'm willing to wait), I'll grab one from the Play Store.

My question is for anyone on Rogers specifically - how much crapware do they shove on the phone? Is it loaded down as I think it is, and do they delay updates? (Bonus question: What are the chances it's SIM-unlocked out of the box if I go through Rogers?)

Don't think they shovel anything on it. At most, they may just have the M Account app or App Zone pre-installed, but I doubt it.
As for being unlocked or not, At Telus, they are the only unlocked out of the box phones we sell, this and the Nexus 4. I believe that should be the same for all carriers up here. Updates should be consistent with everyone else too.
Best to check with a store to be safe though.

Draper

Thanks for the info, did you get the white or black one? Any pictures?

Contacted LG and they sent out the packaging to send back to them for screen repairs.

Also, i remembered reading about another defect people were having with recorded video, and i must have that as well, i took a short video, and on playback there is a strange static sound

Can't remember if Google/LG are offering free repairs / exchange because of it but i'm just going to send in the phone for the screen and write a list of all the other smaller defects etc and just pay to have the screen fixed

Anyone have experience (UK) sending the phone into LG?

Maxrunner

Can anyone tell me if the limite of 2 units per order, is only limited for each order right? if i buy 2 now, i can buy one later with the same account right? Google spain by the way..

So I got my Nexus tonight, and I've got some issue. I'm on Sprint if that matters, but a voicemail indicator popped up on my phone that won't go away. I call the voicemail and there are no messages or anything. It just won't go away (unless I force quit the Phone app, but it just comes back later).

This is the first unlocked phone I've ever had, so I guess I didn't realize there wasn't a stock visual voicemail app either. Suggestions?

Just a guess, Sprint did some weird upgrade to their visual voice mail on the 7th. It made me have to redo my voice mail message. It could be related to that.

Just got mine today, it's got a lovely screen on it and feels nice in the hand. Just updating the latest OS and getting some apps.

Will take a while to get used to it after 5 years of iPhone, but looking forward to it.

colui

I just got my Nexus 5! And stuff isn't working already -___-
All my G-gee games (Ikaruga, Dodonpachi and Espgaluda 2) crash while starting, is it just me or is it an issue with the games?

dubq

So I'm still a bit new to all of this awesome Android stuff.. I have a couple of questions regarding music volume:

1. Is there a way to turn off the "high volume" warning? It's especially annoying when you've got your screen locked, turn down the volume to hear something, but then go to turn it back up but it won't because you need to unlock the screen and say "OK" to the prompt..

2. Is it normal for the volume of songs to fade out a bit whenever you get a text - even when it's on vibrate only? I could understand this being a thing if you have your ringer set to ring.. but mine does this even when it's set to vibrate.

Any help?

I have a question about wifi setting - Keep Wifi on during sleep. Which option is the best battery wise? I keep it on 'only when plugged in' option.

Any help?

1. Don't think so, not by any settings at least. Possibly an app or a custom rom may allow that.

2. Yes that's normal. Really annoys me when I'm using bluetooth for music in my car and the notifications echo while music is playing. :(

dubq

1. Don't think so, not by any settings at least. Possibly an app or a custom rom may allow that.

2. Yes that's normal. Really annoys me when I'm using bluetooth for music in my car and the notifications echo while music is playing. :(

Double D'oh! Thanks for your reply, though! :)

th3dude

what do i need to activate the nexus 5 over the interwebs to get the tmobile 30 month data and text with 100 minutes

Do you have a SIM starter kit? If not, you'll need one. You can buy one online at tmobile.com or at Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-SIM-Kit/24099996

Once you get the kit, its pretty straight forward on how to do it. It has step by step instructions to do it online, which is required for the $30/m plan. Feel free to ask me any questions. I literally just did this last week.

Do you have a SIM starter kit? If not, you'll need one. You can buy one online at tmobile.com or at Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-SIM-Kit/24099996

Once you get the kit, its pretty straight forward on how to do it. It has step by step instructions to do it online, which is required for the $30/m plan. Feel free to ask me any questions. I literally just did this last week.

I figured that, problem is i didnt plan ahead and i get my phone today and want to start it up. Can i buy the sim at walmart or tmobile store and then activate it online?

th3dude

I figured that, problem is i didnt plan ahead and i get my phone today and want to start it up. Can i buy the sim at walmart or tmobile store and then activate it online?

You can definitely buy the SIM starter kit from Walmart and take it home and it will work.

TMobile in store is another question. I didn't try it, but I've heard mixed results from people trying it. Turns out TMobile stores aren't really aware of the $30 deal since it is an 'online exclusive'. You may be able to twist their arms (and maybe get a free SIM out of it) but that is more of a gamble. If you have a Tmo store and a Walmart nearby I'd say try Tmo first if you want to try to save $10 on a SIM. Otherwise, just get the kit from Walmart, which includes the SIM for $10 and $30 credit for your first month.

Couple of questions.

Where is the "3G" icon on the screen? It's not showing up and I am in a 3G spot. Does the phone not have these? I assume it does to tell you you're in 3G, 4G etc?

Is there a notification for the lock-screen to show you text messages at a glance? On iPhone it displayed a preview of the text.

cheers!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Couple of questions.

Where is the "3G" icon on the screen? It's not showing up and I am in a 3G spot. Does the phone not have these? I assume it does to tell you you're in 3G, 4G etc?

Is there a notification for the lock-screen to show you text messages at a glance? On iPhone it displayed a preview of the text.

cheers!

2G = E
3G = H
4G = LTE

Top Bottom