• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Symphonia

Banned
I mean the grilles. I swear I've heard sound come from both of them.
The speaker is situated behind the grilles, it produces sound and the sound comes through both grilles. There may be bits of dust trapped between the slats in the grille. Try and clean it, see if that makes a difference. Other than that, there's no reason why sound shouldn't come from both.

The speaker is situated behind the grilles, it produces sound and the sound comes through both grilles. There may be bits of dust trapped between the slats in the grille. Try and clean it, see if that makes a difference. Other than that, there's no reason why sound shouldn't come from both.

What's the best way to clean it? I can't see any dust from here though. But I'll try. And yeah, sound only comes from one of them. Let me clarify myself, sound comes out much louder in one grille. Some sound does come from the other, but nowhere near as loud as the other. Not sure if this is normal

Symphonia

Banned
What's the best way to clean it? I can't see any dust from here though. But I'll try. And yeah, sound only comes from one of them. Let me clarify myself, sound comes out much louder in one grille. Some sound does come from the other, but nowhere near as loud as the other. Not sure if this is normal
Not too sure but I can't imagine it being too different to cleaning the inside of a computer tower, so I'd recommend compressed air, although I'd look for clarification on that before attempting it. I really don't know what to suggest as both my grilles are working fine.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Got the new official wireless Nexus charger:

i8gp0XjoJ91kd.png

It's not actually available in Sweden (nor anywhere else in Europe, I think), but a company is selling imported US ones. It's rated for 100-240V, so it's good to go anywhere (just need the right power plug adapter, which was included by the company selling it).

It's a really nice little thing. Small, sleek, easy to use. I certainly prefer this design to the slanted semi-orb of last year's model. It has a rather strong magnet, so it's very easy to place the phone in the right position, and then it stays there. It also doesn't have any annoyingly bright LED like some of these chargers do, and it doesn't make any noticeable noise (there is a very faint ticking sound if you put your ear right up to it though), so having it right by the bed should be no problem. As for using this with a case on your phone, I don't have one, but I can lift the phone more than half a centimeter off the charger's surface without the charging stopping, so most cases should be absolutely fine.

Wallet and keys in left pocket, Nexus in right by itself.

No, the other way around!

NO!

Wallet and keys in right pocket, Nexus in left by itself.

Do it right.

Yep, this guy gets it.

I don't really have a reason for it though, it's just what I've always done. Putting my phone in my right pocket would feel weird.

Ty4on

[...]and it doesn't make any noticeable noise (there is a very faint ticking sound if you put your ear right up to it though), so having it right by the bed should be no problem.

As a small PSA virtually every charger does this. Just put a laptop/phone charger up to your ear when it is plugged in.

called goggle and they sent me an rma label. my phone has gps issues even though it is a 311 phone. warranty has expired but they are giving a holiday extended warranty. my question is the phone has some minor scratch on the case. will that be a problem?

called goggle and they sent me an rma label. my phone has gps issues even though it is a 311 phone. warranty has expired but they are giving a holiday extended warranty. my question is the phone has some minor scratch on the case. will that be a problem?

Very much doubt it; Google have been awesome in regards to warranty issues for me. Usually just send you out a new one without even looking at it.

Exis

AGGRRHH
My screen is scratched to hell, no idea how this happens. The phone works but the glass looks cracked. Gotta figure out how to get this fixed.

Hattori

Banned
Well I let my impulses get the better of me, I am now a proud owner of a Nexus 5. It feels a bit more premium than my Nexus 7. Coming from my ancient iPhone 4 it feels absolutely brilliant :)

RGM79

Been using Droid Kang and it's pretty good so far. Has all the features you'd find on cyanogen/aokp. Missed long hold to skip track.
I'm still on stock 4.4.2, but I have been using xposed framework to give me most of the features that I've missed having from custom roms, include hold volume buttons to skip track while screen off.

lunchtoast

I'm still on stock 4.4.2, but I have been using xposed framework to give me most of the features that I've missed having from custom roms, include hold volume buttons to skip track while screen off.

Oh cool, didn't know about xposed framework.

RGM79

Oh cool, didn't know about xposed framework.

Yep. Gravitybox plugin has options for pretty much nearly everything I could want. Customize power menu, lockscreen, statusbar, etc. I used to run PAC rom on my older android devices and was waiting for them to come out with something for the Nexus 5, but since I've gotten xposed and gravitybox, I think I'm set, won't need a custom rom now.

Can someone explain Google Hangouts to me.

If I have a wi-fi connection available does it use that instead of cellular data? So like I could be texting over wi-fi?

Also if I wanted to text an animated gif to someone, would they also need to be using hangouts to see it?

Alright, so real talk time: what has been your average experience with the battery life on this phone? I drain battery like a motherfucker on my GS3 while web browsing. An hour or two of commute, and it'll be 1/2-2/3 dead by the time I get to my office. It's getting worse, probably due to age (about 1 year 3 months).

I'm contemplating either this, or waiting to see the GSV and what other phones get released about then.

BigFwoosh

Alright, so real talk time: what has been your average experience with the battery life on this phone? I drain battery like a motherfucker on my GS3 while web browsing. An hour or two of commute, and it'll be 1/2-2/3 dead by the time I get to my office. It's getting worse, probably due to age (about 1 year 3 months).

I'm contemplating either this, or waiting to see the GSV and what other phones get released about then.

I'm on my second Nexus 5 (first one died unexpectedly), and both of them have had great battery life imo. I easily last a full day with my usage (wifi most of the time, LTE when not; web browsing, Twitter, Facebook, casting Youtube/Netflix, Spotify on the way to and from work). Screen on time is somewhere between 3 and 4.5 hours regularly. Compared to my old Galaxy Nexus, it's a night and day difference. In fact, when I went back to my G-Nex after my first Nexus 5 died it was downright painful. My screen on time maxed out at an hour or so over half a day and the battery would be almost dead.

SimleuqiR

Can someone explain Google Hangouts to me.

If I have a wi-fi connection available does it use that instead of cellular data? So like I could be texting over wi-fi?

Also if I wanted to text an animated gif to someone, would they also need to be using hangouts to see it?

Hangouts (the service) will not intercept your SMS or MMS. This means if you are on Wi-Fi and need to text someone, your text will go through the normal SMS channels (via the carrier network). Hangouts (the App) can just take place over your standard SMS app. That's all it does on the SMS level.

If you want to send a GIF to someone, they best be using Hangouts (the service) and you also have to select to send that GIF to the account associated with their gmail email not their mobile #.

step-4-tap-the-contacts-name-224x400.jpg

You will notice one contact will have two ways of being reached, either through a gmail account (Hangouts service) or SMS (standard carrier service). These will not be merged into one thread. So SMS will have their own convo thread, and hangouts message will have another.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

It's not very different from the GS3.

My average for most days has been about 10 hours on stock. I've seen much higher numbers using the Franco kernel though.

Overall, the battery life is the weakest quality of the phone in my experience. The speakers are bad too but they're not nearly as important to me as battery life. I'd switch it for a G2 but I'm just gonna wait out until the HTC M8 comes out.

Ty4on

If you want a beefy battery and don't mind an OEM skin you could look at the LG G2. Basically a Nexus 5 with buttons on the back, slightly larger screen, better camera (and app), LG's skin and a 30% larger battery. You can see what it managed compared to the Nexus 5 in the graphs here. For web browsing battery life an LCD will also be preferred (white screen :p ).

soul

It's not very different from the GS3.

No way, man. I use a Nexus 4 and I get an amazing battery life. Over a day without charging, and I talk a lot. Some web browsing and other random small applications, too. Of course the battery drains a lot faster when I use heavy games. Switch to Franco Kernel. Battery life on N4/N5 >>> SGS 3.

Does the G2 have a different screen than the Nexus 5? I was under the assumption that it was the same [type of] screen but I saw a g2 in person the other day and the screen looked clearer, more vibrant.

Ty4on

Does the G2 have a different screen than the Nexus 5? I was under the assumption that it was the same [type of] screen but I saw a g2 in person the other day and the screen looked clearer, more vibrant.

Different panel (5.2 inches versus 4.95), but what you're seeing is the color saturation. When Brian Klug tested them the LG G2 would reach max saturation faster where as the Nexus 5 was more linear. Look closely at the second most blue/red/etc. dot and see how close up it is to the most saturated. The box shows where they are supposed to be. With AMOLEDs the saturation will sometimes be off scale which is actually wrong because the software won't know it. Here max is where it is supposed to be, but it will reach it faster so you lose dynamic range.
LG G2:
Saturationsgraph.png

Nexus 5:
Saturationschart.png

Here's a debate of the very same thing. An oversaturated image will pop much more just like the Xbox One's upscaled image with black crush can make an image with proper blacks look washed out.

Hmm, cheers for the replies, gents. I'll have to think it over a bit more, then. Though my itch for a new phone grows, I don't want to impulse buy something I may not like as much. My buddy has the G2; I'll play around with it a bit more.

th3dude

My 32gb shipped yesterday. Should have it by the end of the week. Feels good to be back to Android again coming from an iPhone 5.

Although you'll have to pry my iPad away from me

I'm about to switch from a Verizon iPhone 4S to a T-Mobile Nexus 5. One thing I'm curious about is group messaging. Does it keep the message as a threaded conversation? Does it matter if others in the group are still using iPhones?

Ark

Got my 32GB Nexus 5 from Google this morning. Are there any great apps I should download, best way to optimise battery on this phone, etc?

Also, is there a way to create playlists in the Google music app thing? I can't seem to find anything :l

yyzjohn

Banned
Got my 32GB Nexus 5 from Google this morning. Are there any great apps I should download, best way to optimise battery on this phone, etc?

Also, is there a way to create playlists in the Google music app thing? I can't seem to find anything :l

Swipe from the left to reveal the menu. Playlists are right there.

Jado

Banned
I'm about to switch from a Verizon iPhone 4S to a T-Mobile Nexus 5. One thing I'm curious about is group messaging. Does it keep the message as a threaded conversation? Does it matter if others in the group are still using iPhones?

This was a problem on my GS3 using the old messaging app. I have a group messaging thread with two iPhone users. No problems so far.

Ark

Oh yeah. You can pick a song, then use the 3 dots menu and "add to playlist" option. Much easier to create playlists from the web interface.

I feel stupid for not being able to find it, but where's the web interface?

EDIT: I think I found it.

Merguson

Banned
I'll be getting a Nexus 5 next week. Any recommendation for cases?

I know they have the official cases but they seem kind of overpriced.

I'm looking at SPIGEN but they have like four different variants.. Ultra Fit, Slim Armor, Neo Hybrid and Ultra Hybrid.

Don't really like the look of the Ultra Hybrid.

I'll be getting a Nexus 5 next week. Any recommendation for cases?

I know they have the official cases but they seem kind of overpriced.

I'm looking at SPIGEN but they have like four different variants.. Ultra Fit, Slim Armor, Neo Hybrid and Ultra Hybrid.

Don't really like the look of the Ultra Hybrid.
I have the hybrid case and its fantastic! I got my Nexus 5 about a week ago and its an incredible phone. Glad I can be part of the group who owns em. ;)

DJ_Lae

Ordered mine about five minutes after midnight (for claim purposes) so I should have it next week sometime.

Looking forward to it, this will be my first actual experience with an Android phone (I have a Nokia 710 right now). I do have a case already, a Spigen Ultra Hybrid, and that has me a bit concerned because I didn't realize how goddamn big the Nexus 5 is. Makes my wife's iPhone 5 look tiny.

yyzjohn

Banned
Ordered mine about five minutes after midnight (for claim purposes) so I should have it next week sometime.

Looking forward to it, this will be my first actual experience with an Android phone (I have a Nokia 710 right now). I do have a case already, a Spigen Ultra Hybrid, and that has me a bit concerned because I didn't realize how goddamn big the Nexus 5 is. Makes my wife's iPhone 5 look tiny.

Any modern phone makes the iPhone look tiny.

Top Bottom