• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

tomei

Heads up, there is an update slowly getting pushed for google play services to 4.1 that really improves battery. If google does not update through play store you can install the apk manually. Before the update I got around 1.3%/HR with just location and sync off now it's down to 0.6%/HR.

Fixes google location reporting battery issues. So if you turn on location it should improve for you.

Google Play Services 4.1 Begins Rollout With Location Reporting Battery Fix

RGM79

Precisely. It's really odd Google hasn't made it a standard feature in their OS yet.
Custom roms have that feature in the sound section of phone settings, usually under a heading called quiet hours. Definitely seen that for cyanogenmod. But yes, it is simple enough that it should be a standard feature in stock Android experience.

That said, I get the feeling that several of the last android updates have been mostly under the hood, so to speak, with less emphasis on features that custom roms and third party apps already tend to cover.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Proud new Nexus 5 owner, and new Android user in general, here.

Upgraded from an iPhone 4 (still on iOS 6.1), and the jump in responsiveness and sleekness feels fantastic.

Any consensus on a valid alternative to the preinstalled camera app, possibly with burst shots and lots of settings?

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Hi guys, I hope you can help me:

My contract is ending soon and it's time to choose a new phone since my iPhone4 on iOS 7 feels really old and slow and the screen is cracked since half a year....

I have a Nexus 7 and it's great, I love it! Now that said I want to make the switch to a Android Smartphone:

My choices currently are:
280€ for the Nexus 5
320€ for the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
or
350€ for the HTC One Silver

Money is kinda an issue but if one of these is far better than the others, I'd probably still pick it... So any opinions?

G-Bus

Banned
May depend on what you mostly use your phone for.

I spend quite of bit of time browsing the internet and watching random videos and this thing is awesome for that. Very fast and responsive. I'm comparing this to my iPhone 4. Difference was night and day.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
May depend on what you mostly use your phone for.

I spend quite of bit of time browsing the internet and watching random videos and this thing is awesome for that. Very fast and responsive. I'm comparing this to my iPhone 4. Difference was night and day.

Yeah I stopped playing games on my phone mostly... So I use it for browsing and reading stuff, doing everyday chores like email etc... Sometimes I watch videos but mostly I'd use it as an MP3 player....
I sometimes use my phone as a camera if the situation arises, but not as my dedicated camera since I recently bought a DSLR.
I heard the speaker quality on the Nexus 5 is bad, but if it's similar to that of the iPhone4 that good enough since I rarely use the speakers.

Bullza2o

Anybody know if Amazon will decrease the price of the 16GB version to at least $399? $450 is too steep, and with $200 Amazon gift cards it still costs $250. T-mobile itself dropped it to $396.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anybody know if Amazon will decrease the price of the 16GB version to at least $399? $450 is too steep, and with $200 Amazon gift cards it still costs $250. T-mobile itself dropped it to $396.
How would anyone know

I need another charger for my Nexus 5. Being iOS users in the house for over 5 years, we have a collection of chargers sitting around. Would these work OK with the Nexus? (with a Micro USB obviously). I have also have an iPad (3) charger, which is rated higher than the one that comes with the Nexus, would it be OK to use or could it damage the phone/battery? We also have a Kindle HD charger too.

Cheers.

I bought a new case for my Nexus 5. It is the Ringke Slim, and it seems like a great product. Fits really snugly, adds hardly any thickness to the phone, and the back has a very similar feel to the back of the Nexus. Feels great! I bought it from Amazon for £7.99.

DedValve

Banned
So I finally got a theme that I liked (and was astonished at how much it looked like iPhone theme without looking like an uncanny ripoff)

The only problem is that I want the music player to look transparent, currently it sticks out like a sore thumb

Are there any transparent widgets for the player?

Also anything other than the shitty looking stock google player? My god it sucks, it gets the job done but barely. I heard of poweramp but I don't want to pay and I want something that just makes the actual app itself easier to move around.

Other than that for my first android phone I'm loving it. Currently using the dodol launcher (is there any way to get dodol calendar to link to my gmail calendar? The stock calendar widget is just like the music widget, non transparent and ugly as sin).

thenexus6

So I finally got a theme that I liked (and was astonished at how much it looked like iPhone theme without looking like an uncanny ripoff)

The only problem is that I want the music player to look transparent, currently it sticks out like a sore thumb

Also anything other than the shitty looking stock google player? My god it sucks, it gets the job done but barely. I heard of poweramp but I don't want to pay and I want something that just makes the actual app itself easier to move around.

Other than that for my first android phone I'm loving it. Currently using the dodol launcher (is there any way to get dodol calendar to link to my gmail calendar? The stock calendar widget is just like the music widget, non transparent and ugly as sin).

Links to everything on that phone?

What is the quickest way to locking the orientation? I am used to it being a swipe away on iOS 7 as it's really handy when reading in bed at night laying down etc. Is there a way of putting it into the double-finger swipe down menu? It would be perfect there!

IMACOMPUTA

Can somebody tell me why these sell so high on ebay?
I need a way to buy one with paypal or billmelater and the only thing i can think of is ebay.

They're going for like $450+ used.
What the heck?

What is the quickest way to locking the orientation? I am used to it being a swipe away on iOS 7 as it's really handy when reading in bed at night laying down etc. Is there a way of putting it into the double-finger swipe down menu? It would be perfect there!

If you install xposed framework and gravitybox module it provides you quicksettings thats has rotation lock provided you are on stock AOSP rom and rooted.

Awwww yeah. Xposed framework is saving me from installing buggy ROMs.
GbH4OPl.png

tr4656

I just realized today that I had a couple of small scratches on my phone. Should I get a screen protector and if so, which one should I get.

Remyzero

My N5 screen started changing colors. This isn't normal right?

Edit: Looks like I'm getting a replacement. This is my first Android phone so I'm guessing I have to unroot the device

So if I buy one of these I can take it to, say, AT&T and get a no contract SIM card, and then when I move to mainland China later this year I will be able to use it on China Mobile's 2100mhz 3G network?

It's an awkward situation, but if this phone will support that, then it's an instant buy.

edit: wait, this is confusing. Maybe China doesn't use 2100? I'm reading a lot of conflicting info.

Business

I'm thinking of getting one of these for my girlfriend but I'm concerned about the camera (which I know was improved on a software update) and the battery life. What's the general consensus on these?

th3dude

I'm thinking of getting one of these for my girlfriend but I'm concerned about the camera (which I know was improved on a software update) and the battery life. What's the general consensus on these?

I came from an iPhone 5, which most would say has a superior battery and camera, so I feel like I can give an honest opinion.

I've gone pretty much back and forth from Android to iOS over the years. I just started using my Nexus 5.

1) Camera - I can't speak *too* much about the camera yet, because I've only just started using the phone in the last few weeks and haven't had any trips or anything where I'd take a lot of pictures. Overall, in my limited use, the camera is not as good as the iPhone 5, but is certainly good.

The recent update supposedly fixed a lot of the initial complaints about it. I never used it prior to the update, so I can't comment on it. If you look on r/nexus5 and other places, people show some really beautiful pictures with the camera. I think it is possible for it to be as good as the iPhone if you learn the different settings, etc.

I think unless you are a huge photo-holic, the Nexus 5 is more than adequate. And if you are that picky about pictures, most would tell you to get a DSLR anyway.

2) Battery - This was my number one concern coming from an iPhone 5. I absolutely loved the battery life on the iPhone. It truly is unvrivaled.

That being said, I've been very impressed with the battery life on the N5. I've been charging it in the evenings on my home computer, then unplugging it all night, and using it on and off all day at work, and coming home to at least 30% or more battery remaining. I seem to get at least 24 hours of up time with 4 or so hours of screen time.

I haven't been monitoring it thoroughly, so my evidence is anecdotal, but my bottom line is that it was my number one concern coming from an iPhone and it is no longer a concern. Very impressive battery. Check out the Anandtech charts: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7517/google-nexus-5-review/3

Hope this helps!

What theme is that?!

Business

I came from an iPhone 5, which most would say has a superior battery and camera, so I feel like I can give an honest opinion.

I've gone pretty much back and forth from Android to iOS over the years. I just started using my Nexus 5.

1) Camera - I can't speak *too* much about the camera yet, because I've only just started using the phone in the last few weeks and haven't had any trips or anything where I'd take a lot of pictures. Overall, in my limited use, the camera is not as good as the iPhone 5, but is certainly good.

The recent update supposedly fixed a lot of the initial complaints about it. I never used it prior to the update, so I can't comment on it. If you look on r/nexus5 and other places, people show some really beautiful pictures with the camera. I think it is possible for it to be as good as the iPhone if you learn the different settings, etc.

I think unless you are a huge photo-holic, the Nexus 5 is more than adequate. And if you are that picky about pictures, most would tell you to get a DSLR anyway.

2) Battery - This was my number one concern coming from an iPhone 5. I absolutely loved the battery life on the iPhone. It truly is unvrivaled.

That being said, I've been very impressed with the battery life on the N5. I've been charging it in the evenings on my home computer, then unplugging it all night, and using it on and off all day at work, and coming home to at least 30% or more battery remaining. I seem to get at least 24 hours of up time with 4 or so hours of screen time.

I haven't been monitoring it thoroughly, so my evidence is anecdotal, but my bottom line is that it was my number one concern coming from an iPhone and it is no longer a concern. Very impressive battery. Check out the Anandtech charts: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7517/google-nexus-5-review/3

Hope this helps!

Thank you, really appreciate your feedback. Well seems I may go for it then.

DJ_Lae

This being my first Android device means I have a lot to learn but it's been pretty intuitive so far.

However, how on earth do I consistently adjust the ringer volume? Sometimes hitting the volume buttons changes the volume for apps, sometimes it adjusts the ringer (with pressing down cycling through vibrate and silent, like you can by holding power). Yet there seems to be no consistency. Sometimes I can change the ringer volume on the lock screen, yet I haven't been able to do that for a couple of days now and I don't think I changed any settings.

abracadaver

I never get more than 3,5 hours of screentime before I have to charge again even though I have disabled basically everything

ART enabled, ringtones off, vibration off, gps off, wifi off

Just using chrome to surf the web and after 3,5 hours the battery is empty.
Is that normal ?

Not really, I get 4 hours with medium usage and 5+ hours with light usage on a regular basis.

Heavy usage plus gps cuts it down to 3.5 hours, but rarely below that.

Chrome tends to use a lot of battery, try using another browser and check if your battery life improves.

GavinGT

Banned
2. To bring down the quick settings, drag with a finger from the top of the phone then tap the bottom in the top right to get to settings. BUT if you drag with TWO fingers it takes you to that straight away! That's cool :)

Can't you just drag down with a single finger from the right side of the screen to bring up quick settings right away?

Or is this something they changed in Kit-Kat?

RGM79

Can't you just drag down with a single finger from the right side of the screen to bring up quick settings right away?

Or is this something they changed in Kit-Kat?
It's an option... in gravitybox anyway, dunno about stock settings.

If you plan to use the quick settings, gravitybox is recommended anyway, you cannot change toggles, toggle order or toggle behaviour on stock, what you see is what you get. With gravitybox, it becomes completely customizable.

Top Bottom