• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Just ordered mine from Google play! So hype for this phone. My previous two phones were an older model HTC One that I got for $120 in China, and before that a Motorola Droid 2. So.. yeah, I'm expecting a massive jump in performance from what I'm used to. Can't wait.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Going to pick up a Nexus 5 soon. Is a wireless charger worth it?

Seems a bit gimmicky and overpriced at $50.

Ty4on

I don't understand the appeal. How hard is it to plug in?

It's also grossly inefficient, as far as power consumption.

MicroUSB plugs are fragile. It uses 30% more power, but the saving is nothing compared to what you can manage by turning stuff off or replacing your light bulbs.
chargetimes.png
Keeping the battery above 30-40% should also aid in longevity and is easier with a wireless charger. That is why Prius batteries last many years unlike phone batteries. The high temp worries me though :/

Mortemis

Banned
Eh, I'll stick with white.

What do you guys think about this case? I have a white nexus and I wanna see the back, and this case looks good and has good reviews. $7.99 ain't too bad a price too.

ShaneB

What do you guys think about this case? I have a white nexus and I wanna see the back, and this case looks good and has good reviews. $7.99 ain't too bad a price too.

That is the EXACT question I was going to ask, as I've got it in my cart ready to go. Seems fine enough, and a fair price!

Mortemis

Banned
The Spigen Ultra Hybrid is a better version of that Ringke IMO.

I thought of that case, and I don't really like the physical buttons of it.
That is the EXACT question I was going to ask, as I've got it in my cart ready to go. Seems fine enough, and a fair price!

Yeah, it's been sitting in my cart for a while now. I think I'm going to jump on it. The thing is if I order it now I'll get the case before the phone (mine comes on wednesday).

The Spigen Ultra Hybrid is a better version of that Ringke IMO.

Ringe has the better build quality and cheaper price.

I've got both hybrid fusion and slim cases, and prefer the slim one most days cause I don't like the bulk added by the fusion case. However, when I'm travelling I use the fusion case for the added protection.

I have a black fusion case with white nexus, it looks okay from the front but a bit weird from the back. If you want I can post some pics.

There is also a gray variant which probably suits a white N5 better. The ringke store also has more colors now - Mint and crystal.

Those are fake, but there is another rumor that red and yellow variants may hit the market (esp Asia) very soon.

cube444

Guys I need your help. Is there a blue tooth controller for playing games on my Nexus 5? I mean a good quality SNES styled one and if so, where do I buy it?

Thanks!

Sky Chief

Ugh, tragedy! Fucking Lufthansa Business Class seat destroyed my phone. I went to bed with it charging on the armrest. Wake up and it is not there anymore but I had already adjusted the seat before I realize. Sure enough I look under the seat and it has been completely crushed. The phone is bent in the middle and the screen is destroyed. I have only had the phone one month and one week and didn't get insurance because I always had before and never had a phone break. I just feel so gutted, I guess my only option is to buy a new one. Any suggestions from anyone?

Bullza2o

I want to get the Nexus 5, but I'd like to know if anyone upgraded from a Lumia 920 to the N5 and their experience with N5. Is it worth the upgrade, or should I wait for the Nexus 6?

Ugh, tragedy! Fucking Lufthansa Business Class seat destroyed my phone. I went to bed with it charging on the armrest. Wake up and it is not there anymore but I had already adjusted the seat before I realize. Sure enough I look under the seat and it has been completely crushed. The phone is bent in the middle and the screen is destroyed. I have only had the phone one month and one week and didn't get insurance because I always had before and never had a phone break. I just feel so gutted, I guess my only option is to buy a new one. Any suggestions from anyone?

Yeah, if you can afford business class, you can afford a new phone. :p

But seriously, nope. You can't do nothing. Imagine it fell out of the plane, and just buy a new one.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My AMEX has automatic accident coverage for purchases. Maybe your cc has something similar. Or home owner's/renter's insurance.

bearbomb

Neo Member
I have a gn2 that seems to have some problems getting signal so I was thinking of getting a new phone. I know it will be somewhat biased in a thread about the nexus 5 but thought I'd shoot anyways.

Here's the thing, Canada is dumb and I got my phone a year ago, a year ago I had to sign a 3 year contract (2 year was available but ridiculously expensive) and now a year later the max they can make you sign is a 2 year with the corrected pricing.

Is it worth it for me to pay out my upgrade fee, get a nexus and sell my note 2? Or should I wait for something else to come along?

So I picked up my Nexus 5 today. Really enjoying stock android so far. Only problem is that apparently the camera has stopped working. If I try to launch it it says, " Camera Error: can't connect to the camera" Apparently this isn't an unheard of problem, but I haven't found any ways to fix it. Anyone know?

mturco

So I picked up my Nexus 5 today. Really enjoying stock android so far. Only problem is that apparently the camera has stopped working. If I try to launch it it says, " Camera Error: can't connect to the camera" Apparently this isn't an unheard of problem, but I haven't found any ways to fix it. Anyone know?

I don't know anything about that but my first move would be to clear the data for the camera app. That can often solve the problem.

Novocaine

According to the tracking site mine is on a truck to be delivered today. Can't wait to be back in Nexus world. This Sony phone makes me sick with all its bloat.

I don't know anything about that but my first move would be to clear the data for the camera app. That can often solve the problem.

I seem to have fixed the problem now, not sure what exactly did it though. I first cleared the app data, no good. Then I uninstalled google goggles, still nothing. Then I rebooted, and now it's working. Now that it's working again I tried reinstalling and using google goggles, since I think that's when the camera stopped working, to try and recreate the bug. No problems yet, so hopefully it was just a one-off problem.

mturco

I seem to have fixed the problem now, not sure what exactly did it though. I first cleared the app data, no good. Then I uninstalled google goggles, still nothing. Then I rebooted, and now it's working. Now that it's working again I tried reinstalling and using google goggles, since I think that's when the camera stopped working, to try and recreate the bug. No problems yet, so hopefully it was just a one-off problem.

Weird. Are you by chance running something older than 4.4.2? I think I read about 4.4.2 fixing some camera-related issues.

Sky Chief

Yeah, if you can afford business class, you can afford a new phone. :p

But seriously, nope. You can't do nothing. Imagine it fell out of the plane, and just buy a new one.

Yeah, I did this. Ordered a new one this morning.

My AMEX has automatic accident coverage for purchases. Maybe your cc has something similar. Or home owner's/renter's insurance.

This was a great idea, looks like I will be covered!

Remyzero

I've had my second nexus 5 for a week now. I think I fell in love all over again. That Google play service fix did wonderful things to the battery life. I think I'll keep it stock/rooted for now.

I have an iphone 5s and I'm considering picking up a nexus 5. I tried it for a week at launch and was not happy.

Now that 4.4.2 is out I may want to pick one up again. Anyone here move from a 5S to the N5 and not miss the battery life and camera of the 5S?

JaseMath

Does anyone here live in the EU and would be willing to buy something via Amazon.de and ship it to me in the states? There's a case I want, but the seller won't ship to the US. :(

I'll pay for everything, and would be really, really grateful.

Husker86

I have an iphone 5s and I'm considering picking up a nexus 5. I tried it for a week at launch and was not happy.

Now that 4.4.2 is out I may want to pick one up again. Anyone here move from a 5S to the N5 and not miss the battery life and camera of the 5S?
I have both and find the battery life to be comparable, unless you're having a standby time race.

If you weren't happy at launch though, I don't see any major changes that would change your opinion.

I prefer the 5s camera, but I only take a few pictures a week. If your phone is your main camera, then I might think a little longer on it, but it's fine as long as your not comparing full size pictures on a PC.

Symphonia

Banned
Google is rumoured to be planning to retire its Nexus smartphone and tablet brand in favour of the Google Play Edition moniker currently exclusive to its third-party hardware partners.

Google's original Nexus handset, the Nexus One, was announced back in 2010 as the company's first own-brand handset. Built by hardware partner HTC, the device sold well but landed Google in hot water with the estate of Philip K. Dick following claims the naming convention was 'inspired' by the Nexus 6 androids of Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - which would become the replicants of classic sci-fi film Blade Runner.

That didn't prevent Google from keeping the Nexus name, however, and since then all its own devices have used the branding. Recently, Google's hardware partners including HTC and Samsung have started releasing competing handsets, by replacing customised Android versions found on the HTC One and Galaxy S4 with the same stock Android operating system found on a Nexus. These are differentiated from their standard edition counterparts with the suffix 'Google Play Edition' - and it has now emerged that Google may be looking to move its own hardware under the same umbrella.

According to journalist Eldar Murtazin, Google will be phasing out the Nexus name this year with a view to replacing it with the Google Play Edition suffix - although Murtazin says it may choose a different naming convention altogether, for both its own handsets and those of its hardware partners. The move would remove the divide between the devices Google is consulted on and those its hardware partners have developed themselves, while still keeping the promise of a pure and unmodified Android experience.

Google has not yet commented on Murtazin's claims that the devices launched this year will be the last to use the Nexus brand.
Source

I really hope this is just a rumour. I love my Nexus phone and am definitely interested in seeing what Google can do with the N6.

I have both and find the battery life to be comparable, unless you're having a standby time race.

If you weren't happy at launch though, I don't see any major changes that would change your opinion.

I prefer the 5s camera, but I only take a few pictures a week. If your phone is your main camera, then I might think a little longer on it, but it's fine as long as your not comparing full size pictures on a PC.

Yeah. I hear you. I'm tired of the 4" screen. Decisions...

Even looked at the huge 6" display Nokia 1520 but it just seems that outside of the bad situation with apps, the WP OS seems to be where iOS 4 was. Been there, not going back in time.

mturco

Source

I really hope this is just a rumour. I love my Nexus phone and am definitely interested in seeing what Google can do with the N6.

Yeah I'm not buying that at all. You don't "double down" on a product one year (N4 -> N5) and then give up the next. Especially when it's doing well and growing every year.

I do hope they rename the "Google Play Edition" devices though. And while they're at it, Google Play _____ is kind of a mouthful anyway. How about just Google Music, Google Movies, Google Market, Google Phones, etc.

Source

With this news I never felt like Google was going to stop designing their nexus phones. It seems to me that instead of a new nexus coming next year, there will be a new Google play phone.

I have yet to receive my Nexus 5 but I'm thinking about getting a case or wallet for it. How do you guys do it? Naked, case or wallet?

A wallet would be good for me because now I usually just carry my debit card etc loose in my pocket. I don't want it to look like I'm carrying a purse though! Will it look like a purse!?

Nah but seriously give me some tips for good stuff!

Dawg

If one would visit the US, buy a Nexus 5 there and then return it to Europe... what stuff would you lose? 4G? (Europe, Belgium)

Top Bottom