• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Can't you just drag down with a single finger from the right side of the screen to bring up quick settings right away?

Or is this something they changed in Kit-Kat?
For some reason in stock android this only works on tablets and not phones.

GravityBox really is awesome for customising stock android.

Can't you just drag down with a single finger from the right side of the screen to bring up quick settings right away?

Or is this something they changed in Kit-Kat?

Nope, but what I do is swipe down the right corner with a finger or thumb, instantly lift my finger and tap it right there once. It's literally as fast as swiping down with 2 fingers. Works better with a thumb. Very handy if you a) Don't use power toggles or b) You're using it with one hand.

suberzat

Want to know if this is possible since I am in need of a new phone with my S3 acting up. Was going to pass by my local T mobile store and pick up the N5 with T mobile offering
Pay today $0.00
+$16.50 per month for 24 months* Total Cost +$396.00
. But I will pay everything off next month. My brother has an account with T mobile so was just going to add a line and then cancel it when I am done paying the $396.00. Whats my pros and cons with doing this. Also I will be using my AT&T sim card.

this_guy

Want to know if this is possible since I am in need of a new phone with my S3 acting up. Was going to pass by my local T mobile store and pick up the N5 with T mobile offering . But I will pay everything off next month. My brother has an account with T mobile so was just going to add a line and then cancel it when I am done paying the $396.00. Whats my pros and cons with doing this. Also I will be using my AT&T sim card.

Why not buy the Nexus 5 directly from the Google Play store for $350?

this_guy

I want to purchase the 32 GB

Ah ok, it's pretty much the same price then as buying it directly from Google. The only downside I can see is you plan on paying for a month of service at T-Mobile, that's unless you're going to port your number to T-Mobile, then port back to AT&T?

**edit** On Tmobile's website the 16gb Nexus 5 is $396. The Google Play store has the 16gb for $350 and the 32gb for $400.

suberzat

Ah ok, it's pretty much the same price then as buying it directly from Google. The only downside I can see is you plan on paying for a month of service at T-Mobile, that's unless you're going to port your number to T-Mobile, then port back to AT&T?
I just want T-Mobile to make a dummy number and I receive the phone. Not looking to put a plan on the account I may pay $20-$30 if T-Mobile has a old person talk plan.

suberzat

I went to the T-Mobile and talk with the rep. Dude told me that I would not have to put anything down for the phone this month(for T-mobile payment plan). That I will just have to start paying next month. My issue is that the phone will not be unlocked when I purchase it and that I have to wait two payments for T-mobile to unlock the phone(So I have to wait until next month). T-mobile does not have 2 yr contracts but I will need to place the phone on a plan that is $30 talk and unlimited data for $20. To be paid off next month. Not sure if I want to pay a extra $50 to use T-mobile network for a month when I just want to use the phone on AT&T network. Thinking about calling the call center the see if they can work something out for me. If not I will wait until next month and next day ship the N5 for $20.

Any thoughts?

Husker86

I want to purchase the 32 GB

If T-Mobile even carries the 32GB, it's not $400. They charge that for the 16.
I went to the T-Mobile and talk with the rep. Dude told me that I would not have to put anything down for the phone this month(for T-mobile payment plan). That I will just have to start paying next month. My issue is that the phone will not be unlocked when I purchase it and that I have to wait two payments for T-mobile to unlock the phone(So I have to wait until next month). T-mobile does not have 2 yr contracts but I will need to place the phone on a plan that is $30 talk and unlimited data for $20. To be paid off next month. Not sure if I want to pay a extra $50 to use T-mobile network for a month when I just want to use the phone on AT&T network. Thinking about calling the call center the see if they can work something out for me. If not I will wait until next month and next day ship the N5 for $20.

Any thoughts?

Just buy it from Google?

Blackhead

Redarse
This being my first Android device means I have a lot to learn but it's been pretty intuitive so far.

However, how on earth do I consistently adjust the ringer volume? Sometimes hitting the volume buttons changes the volume for apps, sometimes it adjusts the ringer (with pressing down cycling through vibrate and silent, like you can by holding power). Yet there seems to be no consistency. Sometimes I can change the ringer volume on the lock screen, yet I haven't been able to do that for a couple of days now and I don't think I changed any settings.

smartphones have key functions related to sound:
alarm clock
phone call ringer
notification alerts
music/video players
etc

Android mobile OS has separate volume levels for most of those functions
(you might think having a single volume level is better but see complaints in the Windows Phone thread about missing a phone call because the volume of the music player was lowered)

The hardware buttons on your phone can be used to change any of the separate volume levels depending on the context during which they are pressed. If you're playing music and press the volume buttons then it'll affect the media volume level. If you're at the home screen, and no music player is running, then the volume buttons will affect the call ringer. If you have a music app on the lockscreen then pressing the volume buttons won't change the ringer volume

You can tell which particular volume level is being changed by the icon, beside the volume bar, that appears when the volume button is pressed; a phone icon is for the call ringer, a speaker icon is for the music volume, and so on.

If you want to be completely precise when changing the volumes then get a widget or notification app like Slider widget. It'll allow you to see the current level of each volume and change them quickly and easily.

Notes: iirc touchwiz (or was it cynamogen?) has a nifty feature that allows the user, when changing the volume, to tap on the icon beside the volume bar and be presented with all the other volume levels for the device. So even if you're listening to music, you may easily change the ringer volume too.

Husker86

Notes: iirc touchwiz (or was it cynamogen?) has a nifty feature that allows the user, when changing the volume, to tap on the icon beside the volume bar and be presented with all the other volume levels for the device. So even if you're listening to music, you may easily change the ringer volume too.

TouchWiz does have that. I kinda miss it.

they both have that

Doopliss

Also in CyanogenMod you can set the volume buttons to always control media volume. I never change ringtone volume except to put it to silent (which can be done without the buttons) so I find it far more useful this way.

DJ_Lae

smartphones have key functions related to sound:
alarm clock
phone call ringer
notification alerts
music/video players
etc

Android mobile OS has separate volume levels for most of those functions
(you might think having a single volume level is better but see complaints in the Windows Phone thread about missing a phone call because the volume of the music player was lowered)

The hardware buttons on your phone can be used to change any of the separate volume levels depending on the context during which they are pressed. If you're playing music and press the volume buttons then it'll affect the media volume level. If you're at the home screen, and no music player is running, then the volume buttons will affect the call ringer. If you have a music app on the lockscreen then pressing the volume buttons won't change the ringer volume

You can tell which particular volume level is being changed by the icon, beside the volume bar, that appears when the volume button is pressed; a phone icon is for the call ringer, a speaker icon is for the music volume, and so on.

If you want to be completely precise when changing the volumes then get a widget or notification app like Slider widget. It'll allow you to see the current level of each volume and change them quickly and easily.

Cool, thanks for the indepth response!

I'm still wondering if there's a bug as I have had it a couple of times change music volume at the home screen with nothing else running. So I'll probably nab something like you suggest to be able to change individual volume when I want.

I am finding the placement of the volume buttons and power button kind of annoying in that I have to be very careful how I hold the phone when I press power, but that might just be my case.

Remyzero

Google released the temp authorization 3 days after I requested for a replacement. It should be arriving next Tuesday and I already sent my original phone back. I was under the impression that they hold the full price of the phone until they receive the broken one.

RGM79

Got a Nexus 5 - where do you find that "Centralized File Management" this article (and many others are referencing?

http://www.androidpit.com/android-4-4-hidden-functions
It's not a launchable app and not like like a regular file manager - I see that only when I do a certain task like click on a "file upload" button in a browser, for example. You can use it to select desired files or you can also launch other file managers/explorers from that centralized file selector to do the same task.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Google released the temp authorization 3 days after I requested for a replacement. It should be arriving next Tuesday and I already sent my original phone back. I was under the impression that they hold the full price of the phone until they receive the broken one.

You sent your old phone back before you received your replacement?

Usually you wait until you receive the new phone, pack the old phone into the same shipping box the new one came in, toss on the RMA slip, and send it to UPS.

The temp authorization is so you can receive a new phone first, and not have to go a week without a phone, and Google has a bit of coverage. If you told them that you would ship the phone first, they probably wouldn't have even bothered with a temp authorization.

When I had to RMA my phone, they told me to keep using it until my new one arrived.
They have access to the RMA shipment info/tracking. As soon as their system knew it was in transit, they took the hold off my card. I shipped it in the morning, by the next day, my card was freed.

Ark

What cases would you guys recommend for the Nexus 5? I'm tempted to grab the official bumper case from Google in the red, but it's pricey at £25.

If anyone is in the UK/Ireland looking at a replacements from LG specifically; I sent mine away for a replacement screen, got word around a week later that it would be £105.

Not as bad as i was expecting, said it would be 7 - 10 days to return.

JaseMath

Question...If I decide to go the route of warranty replacing my Nexus for one without rattling, will they send a refurb or a redesigned Nexus?

After a minor flirtation with the Xperia Z, I'm finally on board the Nexus 5 train. Ahhhh sooo good.

Its incredible how light and relatively small the phone feels given its screen size. Solid engineering on display.

JaseMath

Tempting, but the Google cases are now 25% off for a 'limited' time and I gotta say I'm tempted. Especially since they work with wireless charging (do the Spigen/Cruzer cases work with it too)?

EDIT: HOLY SHIT the shipping from Google Play is £5.99?!?!

Yeah. There are some quality issues with the official bumper as well, namely the gray stains easily and the buttons have next to zero feedback. They look great I admit, but I'd save your money.

Ark

Went with the Cruzerlite Bugdroid TPU case in the end. The Spigen Ultrafit had my attention until I started reading about the sharp edges at the bottom.

Ark

Ordered a QuickCover with the 25% sale. Been wanting one and the sale puts me over the edge.

Someone needs to explain to me how Google can justify having £10.99 shipping on the quickcover, and £5.99 shipping on the bumper. I'd have bought the quickcover if it wasn't so damned expensive.

th3dude

Someone needs to explain to me how Google can justify having £10.99 shipping on the quickcover, and £5.99 shipping on the bumper. I'd have bought the quickcover if it wasn't so damned expensive.

I'm US and the 'Saver Shipping' was $3.99 for the Quick Cover. Sucks that they charge extra for slow shipping, but £10.99 is just ridiculous.

yyzjohn

Banned
Tempting, but the Google cases are now 25% off for a 'limited' time and I gotta say I'm tempted. Especially since they work with wireless charging (do the Spigen/Cruzer cases work with it too)?

EDIT: HOLY SHIT the shipping from Google Play is £5.99?!?!

I don't have a wireless charger but a friend who also has the Cruzerlite case and a charger says it works fine though the case.

Mortemis

Banned
Yep, been thinking about it for a long time, and finally decided to jump on this. Got the white back 16gb and it'll be here sometime next week. Can't wait!

Feels weird finally going to andriod, I've been planning on getting rid of this iphone for a while now, and now's the time.

Yep, been thinking about it for a long time, and finally decided to jump on this. Got the white back 16gb and it'll be here sometime next week. Can't wait!

Feels weird finally going to andriod, I've been planning on getting rid of this iphone for a while now, and now's the time.

Which iPhone model did you have?

JaseMath

You will love the Nexus 5. Coming from an iPhone myself, iOS seems so limited compared to what you can do with Android. Enjoy!

8bit

Knows the Score
So, I'm upgrading from a Galaxy Nexus to a Nexus 5, is there a list of what's new in Kit-Kat somewhere so I know what to expect?

teiresias

So I'm THIS close to pulling the trigger on a Nexus 5, but was wanting to see if anyone could tell me if I'd encounter any issues doing what I want to do.

I'm wanting to move to Pre-paid T-mobile, and I'm currently on Sprint using their Google Voice integration, and my contract ends in June. I'm at the point where my ETF is at the minimum it will be (never goes below $100), so it seems to make sense to get off Sprint now and the money I save in monthly fee going to pre-paid will cover the ETF in like half the time left on my contract.

However, is it easy enough to use Google Voice with T-Mobile pre-paid? What I'd do is actually port my current "everyone-knows-it" phone number into Google Voice, and then just do normal GV integration, hopefully using GV voicemail and text and the GV client on the phone. I'm not interested in trying to get around using cellulary minutes, so I assume the normal setup of making calls via Voice would work fine.

However, I'm reading weird things about Voicemail being a pain with GV and T-Mobile prepaid due to how conditional call-forwarding is handled (or not) on the prepaid plans.

Does anyone have any experience with this and can give me some feedback? I suppose, if worse comes to worst ditching GV and just porting my number to T-Mobile wouldn't be horrible, but I rather like being able to call from my Google Chat account when I'm sitting at the PC and having my actual phone number show up properly for people on their Caller ID when I do so - and I'd lose that porting the number to T-Mobile I assume.

teiresias

can't do it with prepaid IIRC.

some prepaid carriers also do other nitpicky stuff like disable 3 way calling.

Well, reading some more it seems the issue is when people want to use their T-Mobile number as their primary number and then forward to Google Voice so they can use the voicemail there.

I want to do the opposite and port my long-standing phone number to Google and then forward to T-Mobile, that seems like it won't be an issue and I'll only have to worry about getting my T-Mobile voicemail disabled if I want to use GV Voicemail. If T-Mobile gets their Visual Voicemail app upgraded promptly for use with 4.4/Nexus 5 then I won't worry about that though.

Top Bottom