• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Cudder

hitsugi

New camera app is a massive step forward for the stock camera.

...However, losing white balance settings is slightly odd. Then again, white balance is easily adjusted afterward.

I liked playing around with the Time Lapse feature quite a bit so it sucks that it was removed. Seems like it'll return in a future update though, hopefully that won't take too long.

But it's an improvement other than that I think, it looks better and is easier to use.

Even though some features are missing, I like the new camera. Lens blur is cool, and photos seem to snap quicker. Although, I'm disappointed that videos are still too dark, and don't have a stereo option.

Ondore

I'm wondering if my phone has a defect or just a known bug - I have to turn off my phone a lot, usually while I'm at work, and sometimes when I turn it off, the phone powers back on immediately. It's started to do it twice before I can finally get it to stay down.

Has anyone else observed this behaviour?

mturco

I'm wondering if my phone has a defect or just a known bug - I have to turn off my phone a lot, usually while I'm at work, and sometimes when I turn it off, the phone powers back on immediately. It's started to do it twice before I can finally get it to stay down.

Are you sure you're not just hitting the power button accidentally while it's in your pocket? Also, why not just put it on silent instead of turning it off? If it's for power reasons, airplane mode would make it use very, very little power.

Cake Boss

Banned
Canadians, can someone explain to me why this phone is only 349$ on the Google Store but 449 at retailers like Best Buy and even Wind has a $100 increase.

Ondore

Are you sure you're not just hitting the power button accidentally while it's in your pocket? Also, why not just put it on silent instead of turning it off? If it's for power reasons, airplane mode would make it use very, very little power.

Because my work went a little security-crazy, I have to demonstrate the phone is off when I'm on the clock. They're especially anal about cameras.

Because my work went a little security-crazy, I have to demonstrate the phone is off when I'm on the clock. They're especially anal about cameras.

I had a job like that. They were worried about you potentially taking pictures of sensitive documents. Which was weird, because all of those sensitive documents were sitting on my computer, where it would be exceedingly easy to just zip them up and send them off somewhere...taking a picture of them would be too much trouble. Heh.

Jzero

Man, it's hard finding the perfect case for the Nexus 5. i've been using this Seidio Ledger Case for a few weeks( it's cool but i wish it had a magnet lock) and i'm about to receive this Tech 21 case. iPhone owners have all the luck when it comes to cool cases.

Husker86

My old Galaxy Nexus won't stay off, unless it's plugged in. It's not unreasonable to think you have a faulty phone. It's the weirdest damn thing.

IceIpor

I've experienced something like that, but only when the phone is also charging...
It seems to happen if I plug it in while the screen is on.
The only way for me to stop that from happening afterwords is to reboot the phone.

Of course, I'm also running a custom kernel/stock rom, so I was unsure if it was related to that.

beanman25

Guys.

I have full LTE bars, but have been getting awful speeds for the last 3 days. I'm talking under 100 kB/s

Before that I was getting around 5000 kB/s which was normal.

I'm on ATT if this matters. Is it possible I was throttled or something?

Argyle

Does anyone else have really bad GPS reception and a compass that always points in the wrong direction?

I had to return my first run Nexus 5 because of problems with the GPS (possibly the problem where the GPS antenna on the back case is not making good contact with the main board?)...

just got a Nexus 5 earlier today (had an iPhone 4 since early 2011), loving it so far. a few questions:

- is there an equivalent of "find my iPhone"?
- what's the best app that's like f.lux?
- how can I create/manage phone backups? or is it all synced to my google account?

edit: and is there a way to replace my lock screen completely with dashclock (or any other widgets)? it's annoying to have to swipe to the left first...

edit 2: and what's the best last.fm scrobbler for both playing music on my Nexus 5 and using the google music website?

wario

edit: and is there a way to replace my lock screen completely with dashclock (or any other widgets)? it's annoying to have to swipe to the left first...

you have to delete the default lockscreen after you add the dashclock widget. (long press on the default screen until u see the 'X Remove' above, then drag the screen up top).

dashclock should be the first screen you see when you wake your phone.

thenexus6

just got a Nexus 5 earlier today (had an iPhone 4 since early 2011), loving it so far. a few questions:

- how can I create/manage phone backups? or is it all synced to my google account?

edit 2: and what's the best last.fm scrobbler for both playing music on my Nexus 5 and using the google music website?

Device manager Like find my iPhone

The phone backups to the google account, when I got my N5 it was downloading on my N4 backups. Not sure how to do it manually.

tomei

- Cerberus
- Lux
- Titanium Backup or Helium

edit 2-Simple Last.fm Scrobbler

awesome, thanks you guys!

more random questions:
- is it possible to have a blank home screen with only the default apps on the bottom? (phone, hangouts, app drawer, chrome, camera)?
- and what is the best way for me to hide apps in my app gallery?

awesome, thanks you guys!

more random questions:
- is it possible to have a blank home screen with only the default apps on the bottom? (phone, hangouts, app drawer, chrome, camera)?
- and what is the best way for me to hide apps in my app gallery?

Yes, you can have a blank home screen.

If you want to hide apps, install a custom launcher like Nova. It has an option to hide apps.

Sky Chief

Is it appropriate to post a link to an N5 I am selling on ebay? I don't want to break any rules.

EDIT: Got a "sure" from a Mod

I just posted an ebay auction for an LG factory refurbished white 32GB Nexus 5. My first N5 was killed on a plane ride back from Germany and I bought a new one the next day with overnight shipping because I couldn't afford being phoneless.

Now I am selling the LG repaired version. It has not been used or unwrapped since getting it back from LG and comes with all original, unopened accessories (charging adapter, USB cable, and SIM ejector) and a brand new Bright Red Nexus 5 bumper case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131171004943?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I want a champagne colored bumper!

why is my battery so shit? and why is cell standby taking up so much battery?
Go4e5SB.png

just got this Nexus 5 last Friday. this is the battery usage screen. it's been in my pocket the whole day but the battery has still been running down (listened to music on the way to work but that's about it). It went down to 14% in about 7 hours (about 6.5 hours it sat in my pocket locked). my phone is rooted, anything I can do? I have greenify, which apps should I run through that?

edit: just read that having poor reception can be a factor. my workplace has shitty/low reception (my iphone 4 wouldn't get any texts/data at all here). am I screwed if I'm working?

edit 2: would this help?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rootuninstaller.batrsaver

edit 3: also read that having franco kernel helps somehow? my phone has an unlocked bootloader and is rooted, but I'm still using stock ROM and kernals

Husker86

It's definitely the reception. Your screenshot even shows it has none.

Maybe go to Settings-Mobile and change preferred network to 2G when at work, or even disable mobile data? Not sure if that would help. Do you ever have signal at work? Can you get on work WiFi? WiFi connection really helps battery, especially in low reception areas.

It's definitely the reception. Your screenshot even shows it has none.

Maybe go to Settings-Mobile and change preferred network to 2G when at work, or even disable mobile data? Not sure if that would help. Do you ever have signal at work? Can you get on work WiFi? WiFi connection really helps battery, especially in low reception areas.

I usually dont have reception at work (had the same problem on my iPhone 4 as well) and I don't have access to wifi there either

Remyzero

Yeah no recpetion will drain the battery life. I think try airplane mode while you're at work as it will help you conserve energy.

lunchtoast

I usually dont have reception at work (had the same problem on my iPhone 4 as well) and I don't have access to wifi there either

Yeah airplane would be the best. You can also try out the Franco app if you want. It has a lot of extra goodies. I don't get good reception at my work either, I just leave it in airplane mode and listen to podcasts, or turn on the wifi if I want to stream music.

DXPett1

Does anyone else have really bad GPS reception and a compass that always points in the wrong direction?

Does a reset fix it (temporally)? I had this issue for a loooong time and found it was my pressureNET app causing it. Not the developers fault but its a fault with the Nexus 5 hardware+KitKat issue with the sensors in that if you ping them for information too much they lock up a selection of the sensors (the gyro being one of them).

tl;dr remove any apps that heavily use sensors and see if the problem goes away

Anyone have data connection problems lately? Last two weeks it'll show 2 bars of LTE but say I have no internet connection... If I turn the phone on and off it seems to be fine but it's annoying to have to keep rebooting it. Not sure what's going on.

jasonng

My screen cracked and I just got my nexus 5 last week. The strangest thing is that I left it on my desk, looked away and all of the sudden I see the crack. I know for sure that it wasn't there when I put it down and I never dropped the phone. Anyone know how that happened? The only thing I can think of is that I dropped my coat next to it but it's not at all heavy.

I'm going to a Tmobile store to exchange for a new one but I don't want this to happen again especially when I don't know what caused it.

Edit: I don't have a case for it yet.

I just got this phone today, loving it so far

but to avoid whatever happen to ^^ whats the best case for it?

I have this one.

I quite like it. The gray one goes pretty well with the white Nexus 5. The clear back is also nice, and it's not bulky at all. One complaint is that there's hardly any feedback when pressing the buttons. But I enjoy it.

(I've only had the N5 for about a week, and haven't dropped it, so can't necessarily vouch for how effective it is. But from what I've read it's decent.)

Anyway, there are probably better cases if you want to spend more money. For $12 though, the Spigen is a good deal IMO.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I have this one.

I quite like it. The gray one goes pretty well with the white Nexus 5. The clear back is also nice, and it's not bulky at all. One complaint is that there's hardly any feedback when pressing the buttons. But I enjoy it.

(I've only had the N5 for about a week, and haven't dropped it, so can't necessarily vouch for how effective it is. But from what I've read it's decent.)

Anyway, there are probably better cases if you want to spend more money. For $12 though, the Spigen is a good deal IMO.

thanks, I just ordered a black one

jasonng

I didn't insure my phone so Tmobile is not going to replace my phone so I'm pretty boned. I'm just upset that I can't figure out how it happened. I can't feel the cracks so I guess it's under the screen?

LG warranty dudes says it may be because of overheating but I wasn't using my phone at the time.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
How are you guys handling the brightness on your Nexus 5?

I'm currently using stock auto and... it feels weird. It's too dark in places where it should be brighter and too bright in places where it should tone it down.

I didn't insure my phone so Tmobile is not going to replace my phone so I'm pretty boned. I'm just upset that I can't figure out how it happened. I can't feel the cracks so I guess it's under the screen?

LG warranty dudes says it may be because of overheating but I wasn't using my phone at the time.

Dang, that sucks. How much will it cost to get the screen replaced?

I'm currently using stock auto and... it feels weird. It's too dark in places where it should be brighter and too bright in places where it should tone it down.

I just manually change it currently.

tomei

I use Lux Auto Brightness it is like flux for phones.

Top Bottom