• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

zedge

The simple fact it is much better supported. The software is crucial in a smartphone and one area where Android struggles.

I honestly don't see what makes the G2 so much better. The camera is a wash with the same sensor size and OIS apart from LG's software which ironically is much better. Battery we all know is 30% larger, but other than that the Nexus 5 is smaller and much cheaper with the same specs apart from the battery and some minor differences.
The screen on the g2 is quite a bit better also.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
The Nexus 5's biggest flaw is it's camera design IMO. The protruding lens cover was a bad bad decision. If you don't use a case the paint will eventually chip off the outer black ring.

(not my pic, just one of several I've seen online)

AnALjjV.jpg

mturco

The Nexus 5's biggest flaw is it's camera design IMO. The protruding lens cover was a bad bad decision. If you don't use a case the paint will eventually chip off the outer black ring.

(not my pic, just one of several I've seen online)

I don't use a case and I've been expecting this to happen since I got mine back in November, but it hasn't yet. In fact, the paint on that ring around the camera is still flawless. I'm pretty careful with my stuff but I do lay it down on tables, desks, etc all the time so I'm pretty surprised it hasn't chipped yet.

I guess what I'm saying is: it's not inevitable that it will chip as long as you're somewhat careful.

In my opinion, if there's a flaw with the hardware design, it's that there are small gaps that collect dust over time (for example on the front between the glass and bezel, especially at the top). Not a huge deal but not something you would ever need to worry about on an iPhone for example.

zedge

The settings are just calibrated to be over saturated on the G2. It's trying to emulate Samsung's explosion in the face of colour. People say the Nexus 5 looks washed out, but it's following sRGB and going for accuracy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DChnGXLErrI&feature=player_detailpage#t=415
It's not just the calibration. The G2 screen is better quality. Corners are cut on the N5 to reach the lower price. I don't believe the camera sensor is the same either. I have and love my n5 by the way. Although I would swap it for a G2 for the better battery life alone.

Aiii

So not worth it
Sometimes I feel I'm the only person in the world that just doesn't care about scratches on the back of their phone.

thenexus6

So I had a Nexus 4 from June to January then I decided to go back to iOS in the form of an iPhone 5. I like it a lot but I found myself missing a lot of things from android so I just purchased a Nexus 5 for a very good price on eBay. Should be here by Friday.

Time to sell the iPhone on! I will easily sell to completely cover the N5 cost and have a little spare change!

I ended by with a white 16GB, would preferred black but I will be using a case 24/7 so not really a big deal!

when do new Nexus phones usually release? My current contract expires this May, and I'm thinking of getting a Nexus 5 as my new phone. I'll be sad if I get the phone and the Nexus 6 is announced about a week later, haha.

mturco

when do new Nexus phones usually release? My current contract expires this May, and I'm thinking of getting a Nexus 5 as my new phone. I'll be sad if I get the phone and the Nexus 6 is announced about a week later, haha.

November. By May you'll be right in the middle of the cycle so it just depends on how much you care about having the latest and greatest.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Still no champagne bumper? Without anything else.

Pachimari

Hmm...

I just sold all of my Mac computers and is now sitting on a powerful custom-built Windows computer and is really thinking hard about changing my iPhone 5 for a Nexus 5 as well.

But what would the benefits exactly be?

I don't use my phone much for gaming anymore (only for the casual solitaire or poker), but I do want lots of apps like Spotify, Viber, Skype, Instapaper, a RSS reader, Clear, Facebook, Twitter and such.

Though, I would like to try out a larger screen again, but I'm thinking what other "benefits" it have over iPhone 5? I heard the camera is worse, and I like taking pictures.

So I had a Nexus 4 from June to January then I decided to go back to iOS in the form of an iPhone 5. I like it a lot but I found myself missing a lot of things from android so I just purchased a Nexus 5 for a very good price on eBay. Should be here by Friday.

Time to sell the iPhone on! I will easily sell to completely cover the N5 cost and have a little spare change!

I ended by with a white 16GB, would preferred black but I will be using a case 24/7 so not really a big deal!

I would really love to hear more about this.

Jzero

Though, I would like to try out a larger screen again, but I'm thinking what other "benefits" it have over iPhone 5? I heard the camera is worse, and I like taking pictures.

If you want a good camera definitely don't get this phone. I hate to say it but the iPhone is one of the best for that.

thenexus6

Hmm...

From the top of my head, coming from a Nexus 4 to iPhone 5 I missed

- The size (both screen and the fit in my hand felt better)
- Being able to download other apps for core tasks like keyboard, music player etc
- Now I wasn't a modder or messed around with roms, launchers or whatever but being able to customise things was fun and made the phone suit my tastes

The only two things i'll miss are:

- iTunes support its just so easy. I am on a mac and syncing my N4 would be a nightmare
- iMessage, being able to text people from my mac is very useful.

It should be with me tomorrow morning and i've already got someone to buy the iPhone so i'm happy

Android music players are lackluster compared to the iPhones. I've tried Google Play Music, Shuttle +, and PowerAmp and none of them compare.

Cudder

Android music players are lackluster compared to the iPhones. I've tried Google Play Music, Shuttle +, and PowerAmp and none of them compare.

Are you shittin' me? I'd like to see a list of things Apple's player does better than PowerAmp, because doing the reverse, you'd have a list as long as your torso.

kakashi08

Has anyone used the Nexus 5 with metropcs? Since their with T-mobile network. Does it run good where ever their is metropcs/tmobile coverage? MetroPCS runs great around here. I might get an unlocked N5 and go with them.

Jzero

Has anyone used the Nexus 5 with metropcs? Since their with T-mobile network. Does it run good where ever their is metropcs/tmobile coverage? MetroPCS runs great around here. I might get an unlocked N5 and go with them.

I do. You just have to call them and tell them you got a new phone and they'll ask you for the IMEI number. Just don't tell them it's a nexus 5. It runs pretty well.

So how's the battery life on this thing treating everyone?

Now that the HTC One M8 is confirmed to have a piece of shit camera, and Sony doesn't feel like launching the Z2 in the US this decade, I'm back to looking at the N5.

Now that the HTC One M8 is confirmed to have a piece of shit camera, and Sony doesn't feel like launching the Z2 in the US this decade, I'm back to looking at the N5.

For me it sucked and it was dead by 6 pm. I then switched it to ART and then it easily lasted a full day. It was a great phone until the moto x envy overtook it.

Having a weird problem with gmail notifications. Actually maybe I always had this problem and just noticed it.

My router has two signals it puts out. The regular one (let's call it "router"), and the 5G one (let's call it "router 5G").

Anyway, I only seem to get gmail notifications on the router 5G band. It's not the end of the world, but the regular router is what the phone always defaults to, and it's a much stronger signal.

How do I get notifications on both connections?

jambo

Great for me.

I unplug my phone at 7am on a work day and when I get home it will still have 20-30% battery left, and that's with 1-3 hours of screen usage.

I normally don't put it back on to charge until I go to bed.

Snowballo

The bumper problem

I've bought Nexus 5 (red) + official bumper (29€!) two weeks ago.
I received all. Sadly, the buttons of the bumper are really hard to press!

In the meantime I've read this article...

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/11/20/quick-look-official-nexus-5-bumper-and-quick-cover-cases/

"If there was one issue with the build, it’s that you have to press a little harder than normal on the Power and Volume buttons to activate them. I’m sure you could get used to it, but it’s something I noticed within the first few minutes. Update: I tried to get used to this issue and could not. It’s a major design flaw in what could have been an exceptional case. I was hoping that the rubber would loosen up over time or eventually work better, but that never happened and it remained far too difficult to press. Wouldn’t recommend for this fact alone."

So, it was confirmed that the bumper has this issue.

Today I've read this article in which they say that Google made two different versions. Obviously I got the elder. :(

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/03/13/official-nexus-5-bumper-case-now-has-fatter-buttons-no-longer-impossible-to-use/

"Over the weekend, a reader of ours sent over pictures of two cases that he and his wife had received for their Nexus 5s. Her case came in grey, while his came in red. He noticed that she hadn’t ever really complained about the button situation with hers, while his was driving him nuts, for the same reason we mentioned in our review. So he took a closer look and noticed that the buttons on her’s were much wider than on his case.

This news prompted us to order all of them again from Google Play to see for ourselves. Sure enough, Google has indeed tweaked the case design by adding wider buttons. In the picture above you can see the wider power button on the red, grey, and black cases. The original skinny button is still there on the yellow case we ordered, though. Below, you can see the volume rockers."

Looking at the pictures you can see that there are two different official bumpers. Old one (left) is thinner than the new one (right)

nexus-5-bumper-4-440x292.jpg

I've contacted Google and since I'm still in time, I'm going to send the bumper back to get a refund.

Now I'd like to buy the new bumper version (maybe it is only avilable in US) or a different good quality bumper. Would you suggest me one please?

I don't know if this is a Nexus 5 specific thing or not but is there a way to open the alarm clock directly without having to go to the clock?

I'm using the Minimalistic Text app and I want to go straight to the alarm after pressing my clock widget once. I couldn't find a launcher option for the alarm, only the clock launcher so I have to select the alarm tab after opening the clock.

Or is there an option to bring up the alarm tab by default when opening the clock?

Esqueleto

Banned
I don't know if this is a Nexus 5 specific thing or not but is there a way to open the alarm clock directly without having to go to the clock?

I'm using the Minimalistic Text app and I want to go straight to the alarm after pressing my clock widget once. I couldn't find a launcher option for the alarm, only the clock launcher so I have to select the alarm tab after opening the clock.

Or is there an option to bring up the alarm tab by default when opening the clock?

Doesn't seem like it. Some launchers can make shortcuts to activities within apps, but the clock app is one activity with a viewpager so you can't do that. The app is just set up to start at the second page as default and there are no options to set your own. It's up to whoever coded the app (Google?) to add that feature.

Esqueleto

Banned

There actually is a way but it's though an app. Pretty simple really. Just an app with this code on start up. Then have minimalistic text open that app.
Code:
Intent intent = new Intent();
        intent.setAction( "android.intent.action.SHOW_ALARMS");
        startActivity(intent);
Then have minimalistic text open that app.
I have an apk ready if you want to try it( I'd have to upload it somewhere first) or i can post the source code so you can build it yourself.

Oh balls.... Was just looking at my Nexus up close and I've just noticed that half the 'X' on the back has fallen off. :-|

What a pisser. Anyone else starting to find the glossy lettering falling off their N5?

zedge

Oh balls.... Was just looking at my Nexus up close and I've just noticed that half the 'X' on the back has fallen off. :-|

What a pisser. Anyone else starting to find the glossy lettering falling off their N5?

What?? Is this the white one? On the black one this is impossible as the letters are etched into the plastic, at least they seem to be.

*edit now that I look closer it appears there may be a shiny plastic coating in side the letters.. hmmm.

Aiii

So not worth it

If you pull down the menu from the top with two fingers you go straight to the settings pulldown menu, at the bottom you should see the clock with the alarm that's up next, tap that and you go straight to the alarm tab.

Might be it's only there if you have an alarm currently set, but I always have a alarm set for certain days, so you'd have to check.

What?? Is this the white one? On the black one this is impossible as the letters are etched into the plastic, at least they seem to be.

Nope, this is the black one. The letters are etched in, I'm on about the glossy strips of plastic that are glued on top of that. It seems they are just glued on :-(

There actually is a way but it's though an app. Pretty simple really. Just an app with this code on start up. Then have minimalistic text open that app.
Code:
Intent intent = new Intent();
        intent.setAction( "android.intent.action.SHOW_ALARMS");
        startActivity(intent);
Then have minimalistic text open that app.
I have an apk ready if you want to try it( I'd have to upload it somewhere first) or i can post the source code so you can build it yourself.
I don't have the slightest clue how to make my own apk so it would be appreciated if you could upload one. Thanks.

If you pull down the menu from the top with two fingers you go straight to the settings pulldown menu, at the bottom you should see the clock with the alarm that's up next, tap that and you go straight to the alarm tab.

Might be it's only there if you have an alarm currently set, but I always have a alarm set for certain days, so you'd have to check.
Yeah, it looks like that's only there if there's an alarm active. But I didn't know about the two finger pulldown so thanks for that!

Esqueleto

Banned
I don't have the slightest clue how to make my own apk so it would be appreciated if you could upload one. Thanks.

Yeah, it looks like that's only there if there's an alarm active. But I didn't know about the two finger pulldown so thanks for that!

Quote for link. It's not going to show up in your app drawer so if you want to uninstall you have to use the settings app. It's only 68Kb installed and it closes itself automatically after it opens the alarms and it doesn't appear in the recent apps. I tried it on both my n7 and n5 but if you have any problems feel free to pm me.
Edit: I figured out how email tags work.

Tonza

I've had my nexus for a couple of weeks now and I noticed that there is a scratch or hair under the glass. I don't think I could have caused that and I think it must have been there from assembly?

Kinda annoying to have on a new phone...

Top Bottom