• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

hitsugi

I've had my nexus for a couple of weeks now and I noticed that there is a scratch or hair under the glass. I don't think I could have caused that and I think it must have been there from assembly?

Kinda annoying to have on a new phone...

I got random hairline scratches all over my screen. Never dropped it or scraped anything against it and I keep it in a dedicated pocket. Some people seem to have fine luck with their screens but the N5 has been the worst one yet for me

G-Bus

Banned
Well it's finally happened.

My girlfriend accidentally stepped on my phone. the crack was localized around the top right corner with some smaller cracks coming down and to the centre of the screen. Is just a day it's gotten a lot worse.

Touch features still work but the sensor that turns the screen off when you make a call is all messed up and it just stays blank when i make a phone call.

Anyone have any idea how much this is going to cost me?

I didn't order it from google so I sent in a message to LG. Still waiting on a reply. A 3rd party place in the mall quoted me at $249....

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
thank you.

Yeah, skinning the phone just makes such a big difference. The 2 top brands are dbrand and slickwraps.

If you're looking for brushed metal styles (like the black titanium I have on mine) or some of the other true colour skins, dbrand is a great option. Both of them have skins that the other doesn't.

I've used both slickwraps and dbrand (I've given examples of both in this thread) and there are some slight differences.

Slickwraps has a wider back skin (goes 1 or 2 mm closer to the outside edges) but dbrand has better NEXUS cutouts for the lettering. They're wider, cleaner, and more precise. The NEXUS lettering on the slickwraps skins can be a bit uneven. The slickwraps glow skins, as cool as they are, don't fit the phone properly and bubble up at the corners even after you hit it with a hair dryer.

My suggestion would be, if they have the same skins on both sites go dbrand, otherwise slickwraps is good for ones dbrand doesn't carry.

http://dbrand.com/submodels/nexus-5/

voBMYzF.jpg

Xeno_V

So I am finally getting a N5 during the weekend hopefully. This will be my first Android phone so where should I start? Any links regarding essential apps in order to get the most out of it? Especially battery management and any other tools that will improve its performance..

Suggestions regarding a case? I want something on the slim side that doesn't add much bulk. Anything that looks nice and offers some basic protection is ok, I am not willing to sacrifice the phone's "looks" for maximum protection.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
So I am finally getting a N5 during the weekend hopefully. This will be my first Android phone so where should I start? Any links regarding essential apps in order to get the most out of it? Especially battery management and any other tools that will improve its performance..

Suggestions regarding a case? I want something on the slim side that doesn't add much bulk. Anything that looks nice and offers some basic protection is ok, I am not willing to sacrifice the phone's "looks" for maximum protection.

I have the Diztronic TPU case and like it alot.

www.amazon.com/Diztronic-Matte-Black-Flexible-Nexus/dp/B00FZ14E3S/r

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So I am finally getting a N5 during the weekend hopefully. This will be my first Android phone so where should I start? Any links regarding essential apps in order to get the most out of it? Especially battery management and any other tools that will improve its performance...

Just use the phone instead of trying to tinker with it immediately.

Arken2121

Hey guys, does anyone here use the Twitch.tv mobile app by chance? For some reason whenever I watch someone stream for about 10 seconds my phone freezes and restarts.

Zoe

My S3 just went dead on me tonight (possibly the battery), and I've been getting frustrated with the sluggishness as of late, so I think now might be the time to jump. I've never really looked into the Nexus line--any big reason to buy directly from Google rather than getting my contract discount? I have SERO, so I'm not gonna jump ship to another carrier for a long time.

Argyle

My S3 just went dead on me tonight (possibly the battery), and I've been getting frustrated with the sluggishness as of late, so I think now might be the time to jump. I've never really looked into the Nexus line--any big reason to buy directly from Google rather than getting my contract discount? I have SERO, so I'm not gonna jump ship to another carrier for a long time.

Let us know if you manage to get a new phone activated, my wife is on SERO and Sprint seemed like they were trying real hard to kick her off that plan when she lost her phone. (She later recovered her phone so it was all good in our case.)

Zoe

Phone was declared dead by the store, so guess I'll be taking the plunge. Getting the phone for $99 is too hard to pass up, so I'll just buy it from Sprint directly.

From my searching regarding SERO, it appears to be fine as long as you stick with online or phone support. I'll try the text chat this afternoon.

Dawg

Hey guys, not sure if someone can help me.

I forgot my phone at home today (it was 100%) so I haven't used it at all, yet when I finally got home and checked it... it had 5%

Immediately checked battery usage, apparently Wi-Fi was the main process. It had about 40% Wi-Fi. Battery said it had been 19hrs since the last charge and that's also what it said in the Wi-Fi process... that the process has been on for 19hrs.

Thing is, Wi-Fi wasn't on at all. I even tried connecting to the internet, but I couldn't because Wi-Fi was off. Mobile internet as well etc.

How the hell did my phone lose 95% if Wi-Fi wasn't even on? :/ All the other processor like google chrome or screen had like 20 minutes of usage because I checked the interwebz about 15-20 minutes before I went to sleep last night so that checks out...

Esqueleto

Banned
Hey guys, not sure if someone can help me.

I forgot my phone at home today (it was 100%) so I haven't used it at all, yet when I finally got home and checked it... it had 5%

Immediately checked battery usage, apparently Wi-Fi was the main process. It had about 40% Wi-Fi. Battery said it had been 19hrs since the last charge and that's also what it said in the Wi-Fi process... that the process has been on for 19hrs.

Thing is, Wi-Fi wasn't on at all. I even tried connecting to the internet, but I couldn't because Wi-Fi was off. Mobile internet as well etc.

How the hell did my phone lose 95% if Wi-Fi wasn't even on? :/ All the other processor like google chrome or screen had like 20 minutes of usage because I checked the interwebz about 15-20 minutes before I went to sleep last night so that checks out...
You probably have "scanning always available" on in advanced wifi settings. Even then, wifi should not be draining the battery like that. Was your phone awake the whole time?

Dawg

You probably have "scanning always available" on in advanced wifi settings. Even then, wifi should not be draining the battery like that. Was your phone awake the whole time?

Hmm, I can't see how it would have been awake? Screen was off so it was just on standby.

Esqueleto

Banned
Hmm, I can't see how it would have been awake? Screen was off so it was just on standby.
Did you take any pictures? There's a bug where the camera doesn't close properly and stays on. I've only gotten it once since I got it at launch but i rarely take pictures.

Check the battery stats page and click on the graph. Look at the awake bar and compare it with the screen on bar. They should be similar but there should be more of the awake bar filled in. If the awake bar is solid for long periods of time, somethings keeping you phone awake.

Dawg

Could be an app that didn't quit properly. I used to get that all the time with Google Music.

Did you take any pictures? There's a bug where the camera doesn't close properly and stays on. I've only gotten it once since I got it at launch but i rarely take pictures.

Check the battery stats page and click on the graph. Look at the awake bar and compare it with the screen on bar. They should be similar but there should be more of the awake bar filled in. If the awake bar is solid for long periods of time, somethings keeping you phone awake.

I checked the battery stats and wifi was basically 100% awake through the 19 hours. The entire bar was filled in. Didn't see any other apps even remotely active in comparison.

Esqueleto

Banned
I checked the battery stats and wifi was basically 100% awake through the 19 hours. The entire bar was filled in. Didn't see any other apps even remotely active in comparison.

There should be 5 bars. Signal, wifi, awake, screen on, and charging. The wifi bar should be filled in if you have wifi or scanning on.
If it's the awake bar that was full and there are no obvious apps that are eating up the battery, go to developer options and look at process stats. That should give more details on what app it might be. Just make sure to raise the duration to a day and switch between types.

Zoe

Let us know if you manage to get a new phone activated, my wife is on SERO and Sprint seemed like they were trying real hard to kick her off that plan when she lost her phone. (She later recovered her phone so it was all good in our case.)

So I went ahead and did the in-store pickup option for the phone. When I got there I warned them from the start that I had a SERO account and if it was too troublesome I would just order it online. I don't know if it was just dumb luck or what, but after a bunch of hemming and hawing back and forth with the store manager, they managed to complete the order. The manager warned me to check my account after a few hours to make sure I didn't get automatically bumped up to a new plan, but as of this morning it's still saying SERO Premium. I told them I would activate it at home to spare them the trouble, but apparently whatever they did already activated it, so I didn't have to spend any time on chat support either.

The phone is pretty nice so far! I'm not entirely convinced the notification light is working correctly though...

Anybody know of an alarm app that has something like Samsung's smart wake-up feature? I'm missing the gentle wake-up.

Dawg

There should be 5 bars. Signal, wifi, awake, screen on, and charging. The wifi bar should be filled in if you have wifi or scanning on.
If it's the awake bar that was full and there are no obvious apps that are eating up the battery, go to developer options and look at process stats. That should give more details on what app it might be. Just make sure to raise the duration to a day and switch between types.

I changed wifi scanning so it disappeared. The bar is empty @ advanced battery settings now.

Did notice mobile signal bar is 100% full and green, despite mobile being off.

I just checked battery usage and the top apps are Phone idle at 40% and Mobile standby at 27%.

Now, I charged my phone a few hours ago and haven't used it yet. It was 100%, it's currently around 74%. 26% gone without even using it. I did notice it said "Battery used by mobile radio" when I clicked on Mobile Standby but I'm not finding any active radio app.

Developer options isn't showing any intensive or resource heavy apps either.

Another strange thing... I'm finally using my phone now and it's obvious that "Screen" is jumping up fast. It's already at 22% of the 100% so Phone Idle and Mobile standby are going down. But it's not like the phone is draining ultra fast now I'm using it. It's still at 74%.

So I don't actually think Phone Idle/Mobile Standby could be the culprit because screen is taking over soon and the phone isn't draining any faster. It's strange... as if the phone drains faster when not using it? But there's no obvious culprit anywhere. I only have a few apps too, Twitter, Smart Voice Recorder, Clumsy Bird, Rayman Fiesta and Sorcery!

I do know I didn't have this problem when I just got the phone. It's about 1,5w old now, very recent purchase.

Esqueleto

Banned
I changed wifi scanning so it disappeared. The bar is empty @ advanced battery settings now.

Did notice mobile signal bar is 100% full and green, despite mobile being off.
Green is good. That bar just shows you your signal strength. The better the signal, the less your phone works to get signal.
I just checked battery usage and the top apps are Phone idle at 40% and Mobile standby at 27%.

Now, I charged my phone a few hours ago and haven't used it yet. It was 100%, it's currently around 74%. 26% gone without even using it. I did notice it said "Battery used by mobile radio" when I clicked on Mobile Standby but I'm not finding any active radio app.

Developer options isn't showing any intensive or resource heavy apps either.

Another strange thing... I'm finally using my phone now and it's obvious that "Screen" is jumping up fast. It's already at 22% of the 100% so Phone Idle and Mobile standby are going down. But it's not like the phone is draining ultra fast now I'm using it. It's still at 74%.

So I don't actually think Phone Idle/Mobile Standby could be the culprit because screen is taking over soon and the phone isn't draining any faster. It's strange... as if the phone drains faster when not using it? But there's no obvious culprit anywhere. I only have a few apps too, Twitter, Smart Voice Recorder, Clumsy Bird, Rayman Fiesta and Sorcery!

I do know I didn't have this problem when I just got the phone. It's about 1,5w old now, very recent purchase.
Odd. Have you tried rebooting your phone. I'd let it die completely to make sure the battery isn't being read incorrectly too. That used too happen a lot on my old phone.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is it possible for Google to use a dual sided charge cable for the Nexus 6 so I can stop fiddling with it?

I wish they would just license Lightning cables from Apple. They're so nice.

nawz

Banned
Anyone know a good app that lets you read files on an external using OTG Cable? Without requiring a root?

cheers.

lunchtoast

Since Cataclysm is no more updating..,whats The best ROM around and why?

I've been using Droid Kang v19 but they haven't updated in awhile. I've been waiting for aokp or cyanogen to release a stable version. A lot of people here aren't using roms, just xposed installer installing only the extras they want. I prefer roms though.

Forgot to add I haven't had any issues with Droig Kang, but people have been complaining on XDA about lack of updates.

Sane_Man

Is there any way to stop my Nexus vibrating whenever I get a Facebook update or an email? I know how to turn it off entirely but I want to keep it on for phone calls and texts.

Husker86

Is there any way to stop my Nexus vibrating whenever I get a Facebook update or an email? I know how to turn it off entirely but I want to keep it on for phone calls and texts.
Go into settings in Facebook app, scroll down to notifications and uncheck vibrate. Same with email.

Husker86

Does everybody just use Google Voice for voicemail? Or is there anything better?

I've used Google Voice voicemail for the last few years. There may be something better, but I don't have any issues and like the flexibility of it. Basically, no reason to try something else, especially since it integrates into the Android call log.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I've used Google Voice voicemail for the last few years. There may be something better, but I don't have any issues and like the flexibility of it. Basically, no reason to try something else, especially since it integrates into the Android call log.

Only if you are in the U.S.

Zoe

Hmm... doesn't seem to be a way to log into my cell# and GV# simultaneously (GV being kept separately for work).

Yasir

Bought a 16gb for my sis. God the battery is awful. Managed 3 hours screen on time :/

My Xperia Z gets around 5.

Apart from that, seems like a very slick phone. Love the build quality.

Zoe

Is the battery bad? I've only been charging it in the car during my commute for the past three days, and it's managed to stay above 60% for the majority of the time. I haven't used it much aside from some Candy Crush last night, but my S3 would have been long dead by now just from background processes.

Bboy AJ

Bought a 16gb for my sis. God the battery is awful. Managed 3 hours screen on time :/

3 hours screen time is not awful.

You may need to play around with google now and location settings. I consistently get 4+ hours screen time with my daily use, 6+ hours on weekends when I home.

Gattsu25

Banned
Couple of dumb questions focusing on headphones:
Do "iPhone" headphones work on this?

Meaning, are you able to play/pause, control the volume, and use the inline mic with headphones that also work on iphones (like the sony mdr-ex38ip)? As a samsung user for the past 1.8 years, it's annoying to me that the mic/controls for 99% of headphones with inline mics don't work on the samsung line of phones.

Is there any way you can use Google Now voice commands without directly touching the phone? (e.g. saying "OK Google" while the phone is locked or maybe using the play/pause control button on the headphone?)

Just got one today! It's quite nice, I'm really enjoying it.

Question about Google Hangouts. Is there no way to set my GMail chat status? (Beyond the stupid "set your mood" thing, and having it tell people what device you are on.) It seems to always just put me as "away" if someone views me from GMail. I want to be able to set myself as "Unavailable" or even offline, but I can't for the life of me find an option to do so. Didn't have much luck googling it either.

Anybody else run into this issue? If you can't set your status, I'm just going to get rid Hangouts and use a different app for SMS.

thenexus6

Couple of dumb questions focusing on headphones:
Do "iPhone" headphones work on this?

Meaning, are you able to play/pause, control the volume, and use the inline mic with headphones that also work on iphones (like the sony mdr-ex38ip)? As a samsung user for the past 1.8 years, it's annoying to me that the mic/controls for 99% of headphones with inline mics don't work on the samsung line of phones.

Is there any way you can use Google Now voice commands without directly touching the phone? (e.g. saying "OK Google" while the phone is locked or maybe using the play/pause control button on the headphone?)

With my apple EarPods I can pause, and skip forward one track that is all.

Top Bottom