• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

mturco

Woah. This is...big news.

Yeah it sounds awesome. I've got it enabled on my Nexus 5 right now and I've noticed slightly quicker initial app startup times but it's hard to tell since it's so fast already. Like the article mentioned, apps aren't yet optimized to run on it yet either.

A lot of apps crash if any change is made. So silly. Nothing is supported in the new OS.

Added music, hit refresh. Nothing happens. I see the music in the phone under "Music" directory but I don't see it.

Apps that I use for Internet Radio are failing to connect. Last time this happened was when there was a major software update. Guess I'll have to wait for all to support KitKat??

Why isn't it recognizing the music? :(

jvalioli

A lot of apps crash if any change is made. So silly. Nothing is supported in the new OS.

Added music, hit refresh. Nothing happens. I see the music in the phone under "Music" directory but I don't see it.

Apps that I use for Internet Radio are failing to connect. Last time this happened was when there was a major software update. Guess I'll have to wait for all to support KitKat??

Why isn't it recognizing the music? :(

This shouldn't be the case. What apps? (And I assume you're using the official 4.4 ROM on a Nexus 5)

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.

Awesome, of course I have to do it. I might as well get on it now while I don't have much installed on my phone.

It's already blazing fast, but if I can have it even faster, plus some possible extra battery optimizations I'm on board.

*Edit: After playing around with apps, shutting off the phone, restarting, and loading apps again from cold boot. Load times are GONE! Everything loads like a damn light switch, it really is Nexus 5 on steroids.

QUF2L5q.png

what this could mean is that a Nexus 5 (or variant) could come to Verizon

...branded and 199 on contract

The Nexus 7 LTE supports the Verizon bands. They are just a holes. Once the device past the FCC certification there was no need for VZ to stop people from using it on their network.

Goddam assholes.
Over/under on a Verizon-made lookalike? I mean, the made this:

verizon-ellipsis-7-official.jpg

Evil in electric form

totally unrelated.

This shouldn't be the case. What apps? (And I assume you're using the official 4.4 ROM on a Nexus 5)
Yeah I am. Restarted the phone. Moved a few files around. Took some good 15 minutes before it picked up the songs. Hopefully this was a first startup norm.

That said, I'm trying out ART. Optimized all the apps according to the reboot.

Let's hope I'm just panicking too much! :)

Oh and apps that don't work or crash are Androzip (Use it to unzip files and move files around. Pretty simple and reliable. Crashes whenever I move a file). Other software that I remember not working is XiiaLive (Best Shoutcast app IMO. Unfortunately, its failing to play anything; not an issue with my Nexus 4). I'll keep you updated whenever the phone crashes lol.

tirminyl

Got my phone today and only had a little time to play with it. So nice and so fast. I worry about putting my apps back on it because I don't want it to slow. The phone feels so good too!

Oh for Sprint users, I activated my black 32gb with no problems. I got my UICC (sim) card from Sprint today as well (via mail) and I was able to activate the new phone. Of course, I forgot that there is a 128mb update, so download that first. The Google group I was following on this issue was a ton of help.

Yep. ART startup is pretty fast. It optimizes "app 1 of 1" every time I restart. Most definitely its the OS itself. What its doing is making sure the main OS/menu is up before everything else. Then it fires up the rest of the app as per needed like widgets and whatever is running in the back.

At least that's what it feels like to me.

Chrome crashed while watching a video on YouTube via GAF mobile site.

Notifications kept on going crazy for a while. Two notifications arrived at the same time (gmail and email), and both kept on jumping over another in a battle declaring who came first to notify me. Had to close then both to eradicate that.

So far, its a great phone besides these shitty shitty hiccups that is a norm with a new OS.

Two quick questions for people who have the phone:

1. How do you change font?

2. How long does it generally take for the battery to charge from near empty to 100%?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
We (as the family) got one for my mom. Her first smartphone! :D

Damn, switched to ART and it's like getting a new phone... again! This is why I love Android, even out of the box you get so much to toy with.

terrier

After 12 hours with my brand new N5 i can say it is a really awesome phone.
Ligh, feels great and easy to hold, despite being a 5 inch device. I guess i will miss a bit of this when i receive the ringke slim case. But a case is very much needed for me.

As for the OS, feels really fast and fluid. I miss, however, some customization, i guess the launchers from hardware makers have some benefits besides slowing android UI, so i guess i will end using Nova or a similar launcher, the closest to stock as possible, but that may allow to rearange apps , let me disable the permanent google bar on top and a few things here and there i miss. But i will wait until those are like stock android, loving the full screen feel , not having black bars on top and bottom. I also found a number of widgets, especially looking for a flashlight one , that fail to appear in the widget list. I guess it some issue with with KK that will, eventually, be solved.
I also miss my old Xperia 'smallapps', or a similar solution (lg has something like that too), it s really convenient if you do not like to have home screen crowded with icons.

Btw, it makes no sense that i cannot have a 'blank' screen, only wallpaper, as main home screen, needs to have at list an icon or widget on it.

If i root will i loose OTA updates?

btw, i guess already mentioned, but exchange email does not work. Hope it gets fixed

Knight77

OK GAF, another info: the dialer function that also search places and people not in your contact list works only if the system language is English US. at least this is what's going on on my phone. Anyone else confirm or has a workaround?

terrier

OK GAF, another info: the dialer function that also search places and people not in your contact list works only if the system language is English US. at least this is what's going on on my phone. Anyone else confirm or has a workaround?

There seem to be a number of things than only work with US English, or other 'main' languages, as swype function. Hope they catch up.

Hydrargyrus

Do the ART works well or it crashes a lot?
Is the battery life really improved with ART?

I want to try it, but I don't know if it really works well...

werks

Banned
Do the ART works well or it crashes a lot?
Is the battery life really improved with ART?

I want to try it, but I don't know if it really works well...
No crashes on ART, but you might run into incompatible apps. Whatsapp is the only major one that doesn't work right now. Dunno about battery life, I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

rc213

About to head to bed, Battery stats today.

22hrs 59mins off the charger, Screen On Time 2hrs 6mins, Auto Brightness, About 18hrs on WiFi.

Not going to charge it until tomorrow morning, I've noticed this phone has incredibly low idle drain on the battery even when on LTE.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well, been toying for a couple hours. I'm definitely liking it, but coming from iPhone a lot of stuff is foreign. I need more time to get acquainted with all the differences! But I certainly have no desire to go back to iOS for my phone needs, even when I upgraded my 4S to iOS 7, it still has an antiquated feeling to it.

There's like 20 high-rated podcast apps, gonna have to try them all i guess... LOL. I do like the podcast management on iOS a lot.

Rootbeer

Banned
Pocket Casts is half the reason I went for Android. The iOS7 version finally rolled in most of the android features but Id already resolved to move on by then.

It looks good, has a lot of festures, and it supports syncing between iOS and Android. Beats the hell out of Apple's fairly pedestrian attempt at a podcast app.

kay, just bought it for 3.99 -- i'm trusting you, animboogy!

DXPett1

For those of you who don't follow me on G+

So after a little play of the camera on the nexus5 I have a few thoughts.

Let's start off with the bad:
Orientation is f--ked. Doesn't matter what camera setting or app you launched the camera from it doesn't understand if you go landscape or not and thus auto rotate the photo. Really Google?

HDR+ mode ONLY works in the native camera app. What I mean by this is if you are in a app that can use an intent to launch the camera app; say Whatsapp or even Google's (Niantic) Ingress, you cannot select HDR+

Last but not least, the camera app takes an extraordinary long time to launch from the lockscreen widget (launching from app icon/drawer is unaffected).

Happily, all the above problems are software related and can be fixed.

Now on to the good news:

HDR+ is MUCH faster than the previous HDR mode and does the job of merging 3 sets of exposures in a more natural fashion. Less ridiculously over saturated colours and more vivid, true to life crispness.

Speaking of crispness, the Optical Image Stabilization is money well spent. Even at maximum zoom you will find it hard to turn your subject into a blurry mess.

The OIS also keeps noise at bay in low light conditions and thus makes the Nexus5 camera miles better than the Nexus4 .

Let me make one thing clear. Just like whiz bang DSLRs, if you are a shit photographer, you are a shit photographer and no amount of technology will help this.

verbum

From Engadget:
Battery life was one of our biggest concerns on the Nexus 4, which featured a 2,100mAh power cell, and so we were especially worried about how the Nexus 5 would fare given its relatively small 2,300mAh battery. And what about the increased strain on battery due to the phone's 1080p display and high-end chipset? That was worrisome, too. We're happy to report, however, that there is indeed an improvement, though the runtime is naturally not as long as on other flagship phones with larger batteries. In our standard video loop test, we ran an HD movie through an endless cycle until the battery finally died after seven hours and 20 minutes.

In terms of normal usage (checking email and social media, taking a few pictures and videos, watching Netflix for an hour and reading several long-form articles on Chrome), we were able to eke out 12 hours of battery life. This isn't fantastic, especially since heavier usage would likely mean you'll barely make it home from an average eight-hour workday before needing to plug the phone in. We'll be taking it around for a full day in the city this week and will update our review with some additional findings.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/05/nexus-5-review/

Scroll through a few pages back and you can see others have posted their battery life results.

So, now that I got my T-Mobile 30 dollar plan up and running, are there any SIP apps that are compatible with Kit Kat? SIPDroid just crashes.

northead

It what way is it not working?
I'm using it now and I'm not having any issues.

I tried both setting it from the ground up and with a backup from my HTC One's setup. Toggles do their work (say I have the Bluetooth one, I tap on it and it works), but nothing happens within the panel itself. Colors don't change, icons don't change... why is this?

GatorBait

T-Mobile has $30/month plan (100 minutes, unlimited messaging/data)

A lot of MVNOs use AT&T network if T-Mobile won't work for you. Anywhere from $45-70/month.

Or you could go postpaid AT&T and pay $85-???/month depending on data needs. The only reason I would suggest this is if you buy an iPhone on contract and immediately sell it. Otherwise go prepaid (Straight Talk, Aio, Net10, etc.)

AT&T also has a prepaid option called "GoPhone."

verbum

It seems to be inferior to the nexus 4 in build quality apparentely. How the spigen neo Hybrid?

They probably rushed both of these products out, I imagine the quality will get better. I ordered a Spigen to protect my phone a bit.
One review on Amazon said this about the Spigen SGP10561 slim white case:
Great case, makes sure the large screen can't touch a flat surface.

Would give 5 stars, but to support a large phone you've got to have a finger on the tip/bottom to support it, the edges are a bit sharp - a little too laser cut. I sanded it down with 1,500 grit sand paper - much better :)

Also, to those people who said they had to call T-Mobile to have the IMEI added to their DB, that does not apply to new activations, right? I had to give them the IMEI online when activating.

lunchtoast

So I ordered mine on the 5th, said it would leave the warehouse on the 22nd. Got a shipping notification last night and it's in transit :D.

tmaynard

Update for users on Sprint.

If your local store is a corporate store and they tell you they don't have any SIM cards, they are very likely lying to you. They received an email in October specifically for 5 SIM cards to be delivered for the purpose of activating the Google Play Nexus 5. They believe that they are for the Nexus 5 devices that will be arriving on Friday, but those phones will come shipped with SIM cards pre-installed.

Ask to speak to a manager when you call, and mention that they received an email in October about the SIM cards that they are keeping in their store and telling you that "don't exist". If you get a helpful manager, he will look for the email and realize that the 5 random SIM cards they received are for Google Play Nexus 5 devices.

I was lied to for three days simply because the rep didn't want to help me. The real kicker is that after I talked to the manager and went to pick mine up, I found out the rep that was lying to me was also the same person that inventoried the SIM cards on Monday.

The biggest problem with Sprint is that they rarely want to deal with anything outside of you buying a phone or paying a bill. Their customer support is so slow (or careless?) that when I call them I'm usually the first person that has informed the rep of my issue. Really defeats the purpose of customer support if all they are capable of is telling us we're wrong because they are completely misinformed.

Hopefully this will save the remaining Sprint folks some time!

Top Bottom