• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Rootbeer

Banned
Okay fellow Nexus 5 owners, could you help me test something? if it's possible for you, that is.

I am wondering if something is wrong with my compass/accelerometer of if it's just a buggy app. You may want to open Google Maps first to make sure your compass is 'calibrated'. Okay, if you open Yelp on your N5 and use the 'monacle', look around and see if any stores are nearby. The banners that appear for nearby establishments are VERY jumpy no matter how still I try to hold my hand, or even if I sit it on a flat surface.

But if I open Yelp on my iPhone 4S, the banners pan around very smoothly, I think this is more intended behavior.

Trying to find out if it's just the way the android app is or if there's something wrong with something in my phone o_O

I'm really, truly puzzled by all the reviews talking about ho-hum battery life.

This was yesterday, on LTE all day:

Screenshot_2013-11-06-23-10-47_zps8264ee07.png

Screenshot_2013-11-06-23-10-54_zpsce500e28.png

Screenshot_2013-11-06-23-11-06_zpsd4b1e210.png

No WiFi at all, and there is even 15 minutes screen time unaccounted for here, because I restarted the phone in the morning after using it during breakfast.

I was testing camera apps, Reddit, watching videos, cruising GAF all day, too!

SimleuqiR

No WiFi at all, and there is even 15 minutes screen time unaccounted for here, because I restarted the phone in the morning after using it during breakfast.

Not sure what to tell you. It's too early to tell at my end but my experience is gearing towards the inconsistency in the battery life. I'm going to give it another week to let the battery settle in. Bluetooth took a chunk out of my battery life this morning. Didn't really use it either, but it seem the phone has some issues connecting and disconnecting with my car.

For example - from the review:

You might see reports of "inconsistent" battery life with some people getting upwards of 16 hours, while others kill the battery in about six. The reason for this is the Nexus 5's very good standby power usage. I left the phone off the charger at night, and after about 8 hours, the battery only dropped 15 percent. So if you work all day and don't touch your phone, you shouldn't clock out with a dead battery, which was an all-too-common occurrence for Nexus 4 owners.

Yet, I barely used my phone today and this is where I'm at:

Screenshot_2013-11-07-10-48-46.png

Screen time was about 15 minutes.

Nexus-5-review.009.png

Dat iPhone 5S

XenoRaven

So I currently have a plan with AT&T. Can I just take the SIM card out if my iPhone 4 and put it in my Nexus 5 and I can make calls on it? Or does AT&T have to work some magic on the back end?

Husker86

So I currently have a plan with AT&T. Can I just take the SIM card out if my iPhone 4 and put it in my Nexus 5 and I can make calls on it? Or does AT&T have to work some magic on the back end?

Just swap the SIM and you should be fine. I've gone between my Nexus 4, GS4 and iPhone 5s lately with no issues.

Unless LTE requires a new SIM.

Highly reocmmend the Ringke Slim Matte case. I had a ringke case on my nexus 4 and it served me well. The feel of the matte case is almost identical to the feel of the phone, which I really like. It also adds hardly any thickness and protects the back and edges.

asdad123

I just can't get used to this phone. Honestly its a little too large lol. It was difficult to use it with one hand. Gonna stick with my 5s.

If anyone doesn't want to wait for a 16gb white to ship from Google, I have it in the BST thread.

northead

How do you guys live without quick toggles on the stock ROM? Everything feels like a billion times more clunky and slower.
Please Power Toggles come back to your senses.

SimleuqiR

How do you guys live without quick toggles on the stock ROM? Everything feels like a billion times more clunky and slower.
Please Power Toggles come back to your senses.

Not sure what to tell you. My Power toggles install works like a charm (Bluetooth, wife, brightness, etc). No issues here.

ReconPeon

For anyone who has had to RMA, has the replacement device been satisfactory. Meaning does it have any of the issues that some of the original devices are having?

Also, to those people who said they had to call T-Mobile to have the IMEI added to their DB, that does not apply to new activations, right? I had to give them the IMEI online when activating.
I just got my phone fully activated just now and am running on LTE. I had to reboot the phone to get it to work, but didn't need to call them about it. You should be good.

Also as far as ART goes. Haven't seen any issues and the most popular apps I hear that don't work are Titanium Backup and Whatsapp, so keep that in mind if you want to switch. Especially if you're big on using TB.

I just got my phone fully activated just now and am running on LTE. I had to reboot the phone to get it to work, but didn't need to call them about it. You should be good.

Also as far as ART goes. Haven't seen any issues and the most popular apps I hear that don't work are Titanium Backup and Whatsapp, so keep that in mind if you want to switch. Especially if you're big on using TB.

Bummer, I was hoping it wasn't working because of the IMEI thing. It seems like my apartment and surrounding area only gets HSPA... oh well, I should just be satisfied, 10 Mbps should be fast enough.

Bummer, I was hoping it wasn't working because of the IMEI thing. It seems like my apartment and surrounding area only gets HSPA... oh well, I should just be satisfied, 10 Mbps should be fast enough.
Checked a coverage map? Regardless, it couldn't hurt to call them up and get a definite answer.

northead

Do power toggles not currently work with 4.4?
Apparently yes, but not on my device. At least not properly. If I tap on a specific toggle it works (say Bluetooth for instance, it does switch) - but the icon in the panel doesn't change, nor the color (usually transparent when off and blue when on)
Not sure what to tell you. My Power toggles install works like a charm (Bluetooth, wife, brightness, etc). No issues here.

This is even more annoying.

I really don't like that the LED blinks once every 10 seconds. There's no way to change that by default is there? Have to use something like light flow? Hate using third party stuff when I don't have to :p

SimleuqiR

Apparently yes, but not on my device. At least not properly. If I tap on a specific toggle it works (say Bluetooth for instance, it does switch) - but the icon in the panel doesn't change, nor the color (usually transparent when off and blue when on)

This is even more annoying.

Did you restored your data and apps via some back up app?
I just set up my N5 the old fashion way. Not restoring anything, not even SMS.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Vyse, what kind of battery life did you see on your N4?

All former N4 owners, give me battery comparisons. Thanks. It's the best judge of battery life.

northead

Did you restored your data and apps via some back up app?
I just set up my N5 the old fashion way. Not restoring anything, not even SMS.

I set it from the ground up the first time, and it didn't work. Then I tried to restore a backup - nothing to do. I disinstalled and reinstalled the app a few times, but nothing happened.

I tried again one last time for the sake of it three minutes ago. Guess what - it's working. dafuq PT.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Live (Text) Chatting with a UPS person (I didn't think anyone actually ever used this kind of thing. o_0) He's adding my company's floor info to the address (UPS does what Goodon't.)
p0QHO.gif

Vyse, what kind of battery life did you see on your N4?

All former N4 owners, give me battery comparisons. Thanks. It's the best judge of battery life.

Same exact usage. I would get about 2hrs and 30 minutes screen time on average on LTE.

I would try to stay on WiFi more often too.

Probably background processing is different. Also, display brightness maybe.

Do you have push notifications for email, gmail, etc?

I am not getting results like you, right now at 62% with 1h 37m screen time.

Probably background processing is different. Also, display brightness maybe.

Do you have push notifications for email, gmail, etc?

As I said, I have everything on: Google Now, location services, Kik, Skype, etc.

The only thing I don't have on is auto-brightness. I adjust it manually, because the auto setting is borked.

I am not getting results like you, right now at 62% with 1h 37m screen time.

That's pretty good, actually. You'll get 3hrs+ probably. WiFi or LTE?

-GOUKI-

Anyone from Ottawa here. I ordered my on the 3rd and apparently it might not get shipped till December 4th >: (

L-gon

Okay fellow Nexus 5 owners, could you help me test something? if it's possible for you, that is.

I am wondering if something is wrong with my compass/accelerometer of if it's just a buggy app. You may want to open Google Maps first to make sure your compass is 'calibrated'. Okay, if you open Yelp on your N5 and use the 'monacle', look around and see if any stores are nearby. The banners that appear for nearby establishments are VERY jumpy no matter how still I try to hold my hand, or even if I sit it on a flat surface.

But if I open Yelp on my iPhone 4S, the banners pan around very smoothly, I think this is more intended behavior.

Trying to find out if it's just the way the android app is or if there's something wrong with something in my phone o_O

Just tested this myself and it appears the Yelp app just isn't playing well with the N5 yet. I'm getting the same jittery boxes for businesses that you described while the compass looks to be performing flawlessly in Maps.

Does anyone use capital one? I can't get their app or their mobile site to load for me. The app crashes while loading and the mobile site loads a blank page... But if I use the normal website it's fine, and was fine on my old phone.

Edit: Nvm, finally works now. Weird.

As I said, I have everything on: Google Now, location services, Kik, Skype, etc.

The only thing I don't have on is auto-brightness. I adjust it manually, because the auto setting is borked.

That's pretty good, actually. You'll get 3hrs+ probably. WiFi or LTE?

It's better than yesterday. Battery life is not a big issue for me anyway, most of my work is with laptops, charging phone is easy.

Both WiFi and LTE usage on for me.

Doing some side-by-side N4/N5 comparisons.

Nexus 4 suddenly seems slow and laggy in comparison. S800 is an absolute beast of a processor, and if past experience is anything to go by, the N5 is only going to get quicker once 4.4.1/2 hit.

I just wish the battery had a few more mah. Perhaps franco kernel will help a bit once he starts to get to work, or Google will squeeze a bit more out of it with updates and ART.

(Getting 4hrs screen on time with 3g browsing, on the N4 I'd get just over 3hrs. Haven't had chance to play around on wifi only yet)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'll probably get this next week.
Still can't decide on a color though.

Get black. Leave the white model for people like me who recognize brilliance when they see it.

Metroid

In comparison To my nexus 4, my nexus 5 has a yellowish tint display wise. Anyone else experiencing the Problem. Some comparisons?

Top Bottom