• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Flek

Banned
how mouch of an upgrade would a nexus 5 be over a iphone 4s? Is it even possible to use mobile me mails on the nexus 5? What about ical sync etc. ?

L-gon

In comparison To my nexus 4, my nexus 5 has a yellowish tint display wise. Anyone else experiencing the Problem. Some comparisons?

I noticed this today while comparing the speakers side-by-side. On its own, the N5 looks perfectly white but its relative warmth becomes apparent next to the N4.

It'll be interesting to see Anandtech's display analysis - perhaps the N4 is on the cool side and the N5 is more accurate.

Regardless, the N5 screen is damn easy on the eyes.

Found a dead/stuck blue pixel in the middle of my Nexus 5's screen today :(. Only shows up when brightness is somewhere in the middle, but not when maxed or too low. Shows up only on black background. Hopefully I can RMA it.

Hydrargyrus

Found a dead/stuck blue pixel in the middle of my Nexus 5's screen today :(. Only shows up when brightness is somewhere in the middle, but not when maxed or too low. Shows up only on black background. Hopefully I can RMA it.

What is RMA?

Does this dead pixel have any solution?

Husker86

What is RMA?

You can attempt to fix stuck pixels, but dead pixels can't be fixed.

There are apps on the store you can use to attempt that (I made one called Perfect Pixel Checker). Basically flashing colors rapidly for ~20 minutes has a chance of "unsticking" stuck pixels.
I need to add immersive mode to my app, I know...waiting for my Nexus 5!

I noticed this today while comparing the speakers side-by-side. On its own, the N5 looks perfectly white but its relative warmth becomes apparent next to the N4.

It'll be interesting to see Anandtech's display analysis - perhaps the N4 is on the cool side and the N5 is more accurate.

Regardless, the N5 screen is damn easy on the eyes.
This is probably the case. I remember back when the iPod Touch 5th(?) gen was launched and I noticed a similar tinting compared to my older one. They shipped that with some displays that were warm (yellow) and some cool (blue) and you had no way of knowing which was which until you turned it on. Was a major pain because I preferred cooler displays.

Pretty much every device I've owned next to my GS3 has had yellow tints so I've just learned to accept it, lol.

What is RMA?

RMA = Return Materials Authorization. Basically, Google sends a new phone to me, and I send the defective one back. Just got it done, but the new one won't leave the warehouse until early December due to all the backorders.

Omzz

I just got mine and loving it! My first experience with stock Android and never going back. Ditched my S3 for this

I tried and the Microsim is in the Nexus 5, but the Nexus 5 didn't connect to the T-Mobile carrier. Help please. :(

I'm pretty sure for T-Mobile people, you need to call in and give them your IMEI number so they can input it in the system. Should work afterwards.

I was going to get it as a gift for memo m but ended up getting a DSLR instead, it was a fast phone for the little while I played around with it. Good thing it's on back order, easily sold it for the same price I had paid for it.

Hey GAF, I need your help. The world of smartphones and data plans is still extremely foreign to me; I have the cash to buy a Nexus 5 outright. I would love to do that. I also want a plan with unlimited data.

But I have a few questions:
1. Can I have a plan that isn't bound by contract? (monthly)
2. Which plan/provider would be the cheapest for unlimited data and text?
3. Can I buy a Nexus 5 right now and get a plan for it?

Like I said, I'm totally clueless to these things. I've had a Tracfone for years and years now, and it's about fucking time for an upgrade of epic proportions.

Thanks in advance for the help, GAF! I know I can count on you!

RMA = Return Materials Authorization. Basically, Google sends a new phone to me, and I send the defective one back. Just got it done, but the new one won't leave the warehouse until early December due to all the backorders.

That can't be right.

Surely, Googy knows they need to keep stock dedicated to RMA's on hand, right? RIGHT?!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is there a champagne gold bumper only yet? With the lack of curved edges ala Nexus 4, I could use a bumper. I'm usually a naked phone user but the champagne gold would look nice on a white model.

I just got mine and loving it! My first experience with stock Android and never going back. Ditched my S3 for this

I'm pretty sure for T-Mobile people, you need to call in and give them your IMEI number so they can input it in the system. Should work afterwards.

Don't they need information on the SIM card?

Edit: I accidently put the Nexus 4's SIM Tray into the Nexus 5........

GJS

I did it guys. I removed the stupid IMEI sticker from the back of my white Nexus 5. Now it looks much better.

Why would you even think about leaving it on there?

I'm constantly seeing videos and photos with the sticker left on, with the IMEI number clearly in view.

I think it would be pretty easy to get those IMEI numbers added to the stolen phone database, effectively blocking network access on their brand new Nexus 5.

Alright, so I did some more reading of my own. If I buy a Nexus 5, and then get a monthly Sprint plan at Wal-Mart (the 50$ a month with unlimited data and text) can I use that plan with the Nexus 5? Also, would doing that involve getting a SIM card from sprint or something?

I'm seriously sorry for how dumb I am when it comes to smart phones

That can't be right.

Surely, Googy knows they need to keep stock dedicated to RMA's on hand, right? RIGHT?!

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case. I had 3 dead pixels on mine and called for a replacement on Monday. My estimated ship date for the replacement is 11/26. I don't really mind waiting, but my concern is it says I have 21 days to ship back the old phone from the day I placed the replacement order to avoid being charged. Obviously, my new phone won't even ship before that window is up so I wonder if I will have to send this one back before I receive the new one...

northead

I set it from the ground up the first time, and it didn't work. Then I tried to restore a backup - nothing to do. I disinstalled and reinstalled the app a few times, but nothing happened.

I tried again one last time for the sake of it three minutes ago. Guess what - it's working. dafuq PT.

So now it's apparently working, but only with a single row. As soon as I enable the second row, not only it does not appear, but it disables the first one too.
Weird.

this_guy

Alright, so I did some more reading of my own. If I buy a Nexus 5, and then get a monthly Sprint plan at Wal-Mart (the 50$ a month with unlimited data and text) can I use that plan with the Nexus 5? Also, would doing that involve getting a SIM card from sprint or something?

I'm seriously sorry for how dumb I am when it comes to smart phones

I think that $50/month Sprint no contract plan is for basic/dumb phones only. For Smartphones you're looking at $60/month.

jey_16

Banned
Hmmm....having second thoughts on my N5 order, I can still cancel it but I'm not sure.

My main concern is battery life, at the moment I get about 4hrs+ screen time on my One with most of that being on LTE....will the N5 be able to match that?

verbum

Hmmm....having second thoughts on my N5 order, I can still cancel it but I'm not sure.

My main concern is battery life, at the moment I get about 4hrs+ screen time on my One with most of that being on LTE....will the N5 be able to match that?

From PC Magazine review 11/6:

The 2300mAh battery is non-removable; on the plus side, the Nexus 5 supports wireless charging out of the box, and it scored a solid 14 hours 43 minutes of talk time on a single charge—that's more than two hours longer than the Motorola Moto X and almost five hours longer than the Apple iPhone 5s.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2426730,00.asp

Gizmodo says:
While it's only been a few days, we're happy to report that battery life has been solid thus far. Naturally, it's nowhere near the Droid Maxx, but even with fairly heavy usage I typically made it to 1am with 15-percent left in the tank. We'll continue to test this and will update if there are any significant findings.

I've seen commentors on various places say they got 7 hours using LTE.
And Engadget ran a HD movie on a loop and got over 7 hours.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/05/nexus-5-review/

Audioboxer

The vibration motor is a piece of shit in this phone. First one was noisy as hell, second one is flatlining - Custom kernel installed with vibration strength set to 100 and it's like a tickle.

They put it in such a stupid place, glued to the backing case piece. I'm just going to open this baby up when I can buy spare parts and replace it.

Arken2121

Anyone here having issues with Sprints LTE connection? Activated mine a day ago and I live in an area with access but it's very wonky. Or even 3g? Seems like the connection is terrible.

tirminyl

Is there a champagne gold bumper only yet? With the lack of curved edges ala Nexus 4, I could use a bumper. I'm usually a naked phone user but the champagne gold would look nice on a white model.

Dude, here you go: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EV8Y684/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Edit - Maybe not. I imagine you want the back to show.

Yes, you would need to get a UICC (SIM) card to use LTE on Sprint.

No Love

Banned
Doing some side-by-side N4/N5 comparisons.

Nexus 4 suddenly seems slow and laggy in comparison. S800 is an absolute beast of a processor, and if past experience is anything to go by, the N5 is only going to get quicker once 4.4.1/2 hit.

I just wish the battery had a few more mah. Perhaps franco kernel will help a bit once he starts to get to work, or Google will squeeze a bit more out of it with updates and ART.

(Getting 4hrs screen on time with 3g browsing, on the N4 I'd get just over 3hrs. Haven't had chance to play around on wifi only yet)

faux123 kernel is giving me great battery life, and I'm OC'd @ 2.5 Ghz which means it's even faster than stock (if such a thing is possible.) Give it a shot.

Also, it is so awesome to get AT&T LTE for $45/month from Straight Talk. A fuckin' steal, really.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
faux123 kernel is giving me great battery life, and I'm OC'd @ 2.5 Ghz which means it's even faster than stock (if such a thing is possible.) Give it a shot.

Also, it is so awesome to get AT&T LTE for $45/month from Straight Talk. A fuckin' steal, really.

I thought they didn't have Bring Your Own Phone yet?

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Okay probably noob question, but is there an option to keep the number pad screen lit during a call?

I need to enter numerical account numbers and stuff, but the screen keeps going black and I can't enter them.

Top Bottom