• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Kintaco

Ugh I can't imagine why there is no update from UPS other than:
Louisville, KY, United States 11/03/2013 9:01 P.M. Origin Scan
It is coming all the way to Los Angeles, I would imagine there would be more updates. I feel sick.

northead

So I installed Action Launcher 2.0 beta on my N5.
Best thing ever happened. Absolutely in love with it. Besides a few annoyances that developers will hopefully take care of before the full update is out, there's little (to nothing) to complain about.
Better than the stock launcher by a country mile, and in my opinion even better than Nova.
Here's my setup if you want to take a look. Tell me what you think!

http://imgur.com/a/1p2RN

dubq

I think I have my iMessage issues sorted. I'm starting to see SMS messages trickle in from iPhone friends now. BUT, how do I have grouped SMS messages in this Hangout thing? Every reply from a SMS group member comes as a separate SMS.

I know most of you are sick of my whining by now, but my package finally shipped. Problem is, Google didn't upload the label to the tracking number so I can't request a change of delivery that I need since I'll be working. Also, it doesn't state whether the package will require someone to sign? Will they leave the package outside for someone to steal or does the Nexus 5 require a signing? Thanks guys. I'm sure I'll forget all this mess once I get the Nexus 5, unless I get one with defects.

Husker86

I think I have my iMessage issues sorted. I'm starting to see SMS messages trickle in from iPhone friends now. BUT, how do I have grouped SMS messages in this Hangout thing? Every reply from a SMS group member comes as a separate SMS.

Please don't tell me that they fucked group messaging over when they just finally got it right.

I know most of you are sick of my whining by now, but my package finally shipped. Problem is, Google didn't upload the label to the tracking number so I can't request a change of delivery that I need since I'll be working. Also, it doesn't state whether the package will require someone to sign? Will they leave the package outside for someone to steal or does the Nexus 5 require a signing? Thanks guys. I'm sure I'll forget all this mess once I get the Nexus 5, unless I get one with defects.

I'm sure it requires a signature. I always had to leave notes on the door for them to leave it because I'm never home. Have you signed up for UPS MyChoice? You can change delivery.

UPS guy just threw the package at my door, knocked once and left. No signature was required.

Husker86

What happened?

Had MMS issues from the start, no matter the APN. Some would work, some would stay sending indefinitely until I later sent another MMS which somehow woke the damn connection up and sent the others that were pending.

But the thing that made me the maddest...I got throttled after 1.2GB, and was throttled for a couple days plus an entire new cycle. I'm talking 250-300kbps. It was terrible and I left after that month was over.

UPS guy just threw the package at my door, knocked once and left. No signature was required.

Interesting. Guess they don't require it anymore.

tino

Banned
Had MMS issues from the start, no matter the APN. Some would work, some would stay sending indefinitely until I later sent another MMS which somehow woke the damn connection up and sent the others that were pending.

But the thing that made me the maddest...I got throttled after 1.2GB, and was throttled for a couple days plus an entire new cycle. I'm talking 250-300kbps. It was terrible and I left after that month was over.

Interesting. Guess they don't require it anymore.

They didn't last year either. Thats how I lost one of the N4 I ordered. Google gave me money back.

lunchtoast

I have a question about the 30/month tmobile plan. I have the starter kit from walmart but it doesn't mention anything about the plan besides a sticker on the front. Do I have to activate in the store when I get the phone or do I have to call tmobile and mention the plan?

Fraxin

Congratulations, I hope the phone arrives without any defects.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Once you get the tracking number, if you want to update the address there should be a "Live Chat" link way at the bottom of UPS.com. Just tell them you need to update the address. (This is what I did to add necessary floor info to my shipment.)

dubq

Please don't tell me that they fucked group messaging over when they just finally got it right.
I dunno, it doesn't seem to be working for me, even with an external app. Whenever someone replies to one of my group SMS's, it comes back from JUST them and not a part of the group chat.

THRILLH0

Banned
Why do the N5 reviews make a big deal out of the "new" fullscreen feature?

Don't existing games, reading and video apps already do this?

Rhindle

My anecdotal observations on battery life (based on less than 2 days of use):

• There's barely any battery drain while in standby mode. Maybe a 1% drop per hour.
  • Data use over LTE seems to suck up a lot of power
  • Screen display drain seems a bit higher than the N4, but not by much
Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. It looks like I can get through a full day of moderate usage with a good 40% of battery life left.

I don't get it either. It only seems to apply to the home screen. So you can see more wallpaper, yay.

Noticed something weird today:
When I end a call the phone stays on the call screen with the "red end" button grayed out. Only way to exit it is home button.

Anyone else seeing this?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Wrong. Those don't hide the Nav Bar (bottom buttons), it only turns them into little circles. The new Immersive Mode hides everything.

immersive-mode.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
They sure do. Using it right now.

So, Unlimited everything for $45, throttling past 2.5 GB, being able to use full speeds on AT&T's LTE network... To give closure to this post:

Man I don't know what to go with: AIO (good prices, poor speeds (8 Mbps cap on LTE, 4 Mbps on HSPA+)), GoPhone (decent prices and LTE speed, but low max data cap (3 GB)), or just straight up AT&T (not really good prices if you only have one device, but you get LTE and high data caps.)

Someone tell me what to do. =/

I really wish T-Mobile worked back in CT.

I think I'm going to go with Straight Talk, then. At least for this month. We'll see what happens when I hit that 2.5 GB... cause I have a feeling I will. Wish I could up it, even just a little. I could probably do 4 GB a month.

I just opened a video on my Z1 and it takes up the entire screen.

That's video/picture mode. Interacting with it in any way forces the Nav and Status bars to appear. (AKA, games can't use it.)

dubq

Does anyone have any ideas for this? Do I need to be setting up groups separately in my contacts? I can't figure it out for the life of me..

derder

So....

I had a N4 on a grandfathered unlimited plan from 2008 and got HSPA+ speeds. I put my SIM into the N5 and got terrible speeds, regardless of the APN/system setting.

I went to the at&t store, grabbed a IMEI # off of a display LG G2, and called in to say my LTE didn't work.

An hour later, I got transferred to an unlimited LTE plan.

Below are the different speed test results (the last one is after the LTE was applied):

L4cq6uS.jpg

tino

Banned
I have a question about the 30/month tmobile plan. I have the starter kit from walmart but it doesn't mention anything about the plan besides a sticker on the front. Do I have to activate in the store when I get the phone or do I have to call tmobile and mention the plan?

You have to call TMobile.

No Love

Banned
So, Unlimited everything for $40, throttling past 2.5 GB, being able to use full speeds on AT&T's LTE network... To give closure to this post:

I think I'm going to go with Straight Talk, then. At least for this month. We'll see what happens when I hit that 2.5 GB... cause I have a feeling I while. Wish I could up it, even just a little. I could probably do 4 GB a month.

That's video/picture mode. Interacting with it in any way forces the Nav and Status bars to appear. (AKA, games can't use it.)

$45/month, but everything else yup. Even with 1 bar on LTE I was hitting 8-10 mbps.

Razdek

Banned
Its here!!

Calgary, AB, Canada 11/07/2013 14:25 Arrival Scan

Tomorrow the precious will be mine! :/

Got mine today :). Been playing with it for a few hours and I definitely see the scrolling lag that reviewers have been saying. Hopefully they get that fixed soon.

dubq

Apologize for all of the messages tonight.. having some issues getting used to this Hangouts thing. I'm noticing now that whenever I go to write a message it's giving me "suggested from google+" names that I don't even know.. literally just randompublic people on google plus depending on what characters I start typing. Can't figure out how to disable this.

zedge

Got mine today :). Been playing with it for a few hours and I definitely see the scrolling lag that reviewers have been saying. Hopefully they get that fixed soon.

In chrome? I don't have any lag on my N4.. Its hard to believe the N5 would have any. If its chrome then I agree, its not that smooth sometimes, but it does load the whole page.

Does anyone have any ideas for this? Do I need to be setting up groups separately in my contacts? I can't figure it out for the life of me..

I beilive that's how it is. As far as I know there's no real group messaging between iPhone and android. I could be wrote though.

Laekon

Got my phone on Monday and have settled back into my normal routine of little usage. Battery is at 21% after 1 day and 10 hrs with 3 hrs of screen time. That includes Sensorly using 14% of the battery which isn't normal for me. I love the feel and the screen but do wish the overall shape would let your hand know which part of the phone is the top. I'm use to a Galaxy Nexus and how the varying thickness let you know which direction the phone was in without looking.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Got my phone on Monday and have settled back into my normal routine of little usage. Battery is at 21% after 1 day and 10 hrs with 3 hrs of screen time. That includes Sensorly using 14% of the battery which isn't normal for me. I love the feel and the screen but do wish the overall shape would let your hand know which part of the phone is the top. I'm use to a Galaxy Nexus and how the varying thickness let you know which direction the phone was in without looking.

Camera hump?

Chris R

How do I use voice input on the default Google keyboard?

And the camera humps out a fractional millimeter as in it isn't flush with the rear of the phone.

I have sent out and received a few group messages. Have had no problems with it. Stays in the group conversation.

Husker86

Sure there is. All parties involved use Hangouts. Bam.

Hangouts is not ideal on iOS :(

Nothing Google can do though, it's one of those annoying things where you get a notification for a new message, open the app, and then have to wait for the actual app to realize there is a new message. I still do my best to convert, but some people just don't want to leave what they're used to. It also still uses the old iOS keyboard which is just terrible looking after getting used to the new one.

Top Bottom