• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6 |OT| Moto takes the L

hohoXD123

oh come on, you wouldn't pay the extra $50 for the display/battery/camera improvements? and there's the pen. nexus obviously has some differences which you may prefer (stock, bigger screen, speakers), but there's no way the nexus hardware is priced as competitively as the note 4.

I personally would, someone else may not care so much about those things but would care a lot about the cheaper price, stock, bigger screen, getting android updates faster or the speakers, so you can't really say that it isn't priced as competitively. They each have their strengths and weaknesses.

oh come on, you wouldn't pay the extra $50 for the display/battery/camera improvements? and there's the pen. nexus obviously has some differences which you may prefer (stock, bigger screen, speakers), but there's no way the nexus hardware is priced as competitively as the note 4.

I wouldn't pay $150 extra for a brighter screen and slightly better camera and the privilege of getting Samsung's delayed updates and shitty after sales service. (I've used a Note 2 for 2 years now.)

The big screen, better Google Now integration (this is actually a killer app in my personal case) and being a Nexus device does make the price worth it for some people. Some of us are going into this with eyes wide open. We don't expect Google to fix the battery life and screen through updates.

p2535748

I'm in the market for a new phone. I'm stuck on Verizon, so unfortunately I have to stick there. I'm trying to decide between this and the Droid Turbo. As near as I can tell, the benefits of each are:

Nexus 6:
- Bigger Screen
- Better camera (fewer MP, but OIS?)
- Stock android (and 5.0, while the Turbo is on 4.4.4)

Droid Turbo:
- Bigger battery
- Higher pixel density (not sure this matters)

Is that about right? I guess I'm trying to figure how much value I put in stock android (and 5.0), since I really liked my older nexus phone, and haven't liked newer non-stock android phones as much.

I'm in the market for a new phone. I'm stuck on Verizon, so unfortunately I have to stick there. I'm trying to decide between this and the Droid Turbo. As near as I can tell, the benefits of each are:

Nexus 6:
- Bigger Screen

Droid Turbo:
- Bigger battery

Is that about right? I guess I'm trying to figure how much value I put in stock android (and 5.0), since I really liked my older nexus phone, and haven't liked newer non-stock android phones as much.

You should try to look at both in a store. T-Mobile stores have Nexus 6 demo units. The reviews also indicate that the Nexus 6's screen isn't very bright.

Syntsui

Nexus 6:
- Bigger Screen

Droid Turbo:
- Bigger battery

Which version of the Droid Turbo is available in your country? Considering the one we have here in Brazil, the Moto Maxx is better in every way except the camera because of OIS: http://www.motorola.com.br/all-mobile-phones/Moto-Maxx/moto-maxx-br.html

Also, consider Nexus 6 is as slow as Nexus 4 (to load apps/multi task shit) due to mandatory encryption, this is UNNACEPTABLE and a true deal breaker. It may be fixed? I don't really know.

I wouldn't pay $150 extra for a brighter screen and slightly better camera and the privilege of getting Samsung's delayed updates and shitty after sales service. (I've used a Note 2 for 2 years now.)

The big screen, better Google Now integration (this is actually a killer app in my personal case) and being a Nexus device does make the price worth it for some people. Some of us are going into this with eyes wide open. We don't expect Google to fix the battery life and screen through updates.
Good thing it's only $50 more!

todd360

I think I would choose the xperia z3 over nexus 6 at this point if it had a googleplay edition. I refuse to use anything other than stock android lollipop if I'm going to be spending over 500 dollars.

thuway

Has Google acknowledged the camera and battery performance? I wish some official word was out. Anyway preoder cancelled on my front.

Logos, logos everywhere for AT&T guys:

1461619_nexus6_back_245x424.png

I can't wait to see the Verizon one.

RedFyn

I wouldn't pay the extra $100 (T-Mobile) for the better camera, touchwiz, bad speaker placement, physical button, marginally better display, s pen, lack of stock android, and design/feel in the hand (I'm not a fan.)

The one thing that I'm really not happy about is the battery. However, I will have to test it out and see how it performs for me.

Trouble

Banned
Why would you unlock the bootloader if you don't need to remove touchwiz?

I guess some people like to tinker, but for many the appeal of Nexus devices is no need muck about to get something that approximates stock Android.

I'd rather wait and hear about anything like bootloaders before assuming it's locked. But you know, end of the world, overreacting is obviously how to go.

Syntsui

High reviews/biggest disappointment.

Huh.

Who is talking about reviews here?

Coming from the Nexus 5 this shit is atrocious. It's slower than Nexus 5 even being much more powerful and has a much worse screen (fuck the resolution, the display itself is horrendous (Amoled is shit and can't display the white correctly at all, but still it plagues all the Moto line...).

Coming from the Nexus 5 this shit is atrocious. It's slower than Nexus 5 even being much more powerful and has a much worse screen (fuck the resolution, the display itself is horrendous (Amoled is shit and can't display the white correctly at all, but still it plagues all the Moto line...).
Lulz

XBP

Wait, does this mean there's going to be bloat and shit on carrier versions? And updates go through them?

The fuck is the point then?

The bloat will be downloaded when you insert the respective carrier's sim card. You can then go ahead and remove every trace of all apps though. So , minus the annoyance of removing the apps, bloat isn't really a problem.

smh at the ATT logo not being equidistant to the moto logo relative to the nexus logo.

logologologologologologologologo. Someone better post the verizon one when it's up. Gonna be great.

NotBacon

Oh cool how is your Nexus 6? I'd assume you have a consumer version in your hands right now to make those claims, so how is it?

Nitsuj23

I don't know if I should dislike people like you or feel bad that society failed you somewhere in your life. I'm referring to your inability to make logical statements coupled with an appalling lack of comprehension.

It looks like deliveries from Motorola are already arriving. Meanwhile, Play Store people have zero movement in their orders.

I'm hoping some battery impressions hit over the new t two days, before I hopefully get mine from T-Mobile.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
My 6 is ready for pick up at FedEx!

I'll have it tonight and can take some photos, answer some questions if anyone wants. I find it funny ordering on the Moto store a week later than Google Play got me the phone faster. Kind of glad I wasn't able to order on Google.

I'll have it tonight and can take some photos, answer some questions if anyone wants. I find it funny ordering on the Moto store a week later than Google Play got me the phone faster. Kind of glad I wasn't able to order on Google.

It makes sense, though. Motorola made the phone, and it is coming direct from their factory.

Google probably had their shipment delayed like T-Mobile, who finally got their shipment on Friday. Google orders will likely ship from within the US, likely starting today.

Jzero

I hate you :(
Mine hasn't even shipped.

moaaz

Any idea when UK preorders will be going up.

Although, I'm happy to wait a bit and read impressions before deciding to upgrade from nexus 5.

Kathian

Banned
I think the MKBHD made me much more positive but the terrible low light setting and battery life just kill it for me. I really like the size and the speakers are how all phones should be.

I think the worst thing in the end is this is not a Moto flagship but a Nexus flagship. A Moto X+ with Lollipop and motomaker would be fucking amazing. Moto X is just too small for me, heck I feel the Note series looks quite wee these days.

If it had a better battery life I'd probably be ready to bite. So close. Now am not sure what to upgrade to :/

clav

Contract renewal coming up.

Still need to decide between this phone or Note 4.

I could just keep the current one.

Hm.

Top Bottom