• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6 |OT| Moto takes the L

Jeff-DSA

I have until tomorrow to decide on what phone to get. My company is buying it for me, but I have to let my business partner know what to get me when he goes to pick up the phones. T-Mobile has already put two on hold for him (unofficially, but they always do it for us) but I haven't decided 100% if I want to go for the Note 4 or the Nexus 6 yet. I've been solidly in the Nexus 6 camp until yesterday. I owned a Galaxy S2, and I loved it, but I've always been jealous of the stock Android guys. Since then I've been using an HTC One, which is also great, but still not stock Android.

How is TouchWiz these days? And how long are Note 4 owners going to have to wait to get Lollipop, and will it even be recognizable as Lollipop once it hits? Should this even be that big of a deterrent to me?

Gah, I hate having to make this decision by tomorrow.

I have until tomorrow to decide on what phone to get. My company is buying it for me, but I have to let my business partner know what to get me when he goes to pick up the phones. T-Mobile has already put two on hold for him (unofficially, but they always do it for us) but I haven't decided 100% if I want to go for the Note 4 or the Nexus 6 yet. I've been solidly in the Nexus 6 camp until yesterday. I owned a Galaxy S2, and I loved it, but I've always been jealous of the stock Android guys. Since then I've been using an HTC One, which is also great, but still not stock Android.

How is TouchWiz these days? And how long are Note 4 owners going to have to wait to get Lollipop, and will it even be recognizable as Lollipop once it hits? Should this even be that big of a deterrent to me?

touchwiz is garbage and they're just gonna make lollipop look ugly. Just get the nexus 6. Only reason I'd get the note 4 over the nexus 6 is if you'd use the pen a ton.

CronoShot

Well considering Google has been pushing multiple updates to it, and said they are still working on the performance thing, most likely.

I don't know why Googlers continue to do this to themselves.

"Wait for an update! Surely an update will fix the screen, battery life, and performance! Just you wait!"

There is no magic fix for this (or any) phone.

Wreav

Banned

It's not a Google thing, it's a fanboy thing. Plenty of Apple apologists too. Some people have so little going on in their lives that their sense of identity is centered around what cell phone/watch/sunglasses they have, and when people criticize those things, their world starts to fall apart.

Both tragic and hilarious to watch happen.

clav

Some people have so little going on in their lives that their sense of identity is centered around what cell phone/watch/sunglasses they have, and when people criticize those things, their world starts to fall apart.

I blame Facebook and likes.

hohoXD123

I went from stock android on the nexus 4 to touchwiz on the note 4. Can't understand all the hate for touchwiz. There is a bit of lag when viewing what apps are open, but besides that everything is as fast, if not faster, than my nexus 4. It doesn't look as great as stock android but it does look better than previous touchwiz versions, and even though you can't do much about the menus, using a launcher like Nova mostly addresses it. The messaging app is garbage, but again a 3rd party app like Textra fixes it. The features like one-handed mode and some of the camera modes are also very useful, plus the S pen is awesome. If it was a smaller phone then I'd say I'd prefer stock android, but the better one-handed/multi-window/S pen features makes me prefer touchwiz on a phablet. Not sure when lollipop will arrive, read some rumours which say before 2015, possibly by the end of this month.

Jeff-DSA

"Wait for an update! Surely an update will fix the screen, battery life, and performance! Just you wait!"

The phone isn't broken though. The majority of "issues" being reported are software based. The camera can and will improve with software updates, and so will battery life. Screen brightness is probably a non-issue for most people, because I literally don't know a single person that ever sets their phone brightness anywhere near max. But sure, that's something that won't be addressed via software.

Everybody knows that the hardware in the Nexus 6 is solid, including the camera. Software tweaks can and will optimize the overall experience. Will it make it ever feel like a generation ahead of what it is now? No. Will it make it better? Yeah, definitely.

th3dude

Software updates won't immediately make a device amazing, but this thought is flat out wrong.

See what Lollipop is doing for the Nexus 5?

The screen is what it is.

The battery life can certainly be improved if there is indeed an issue. However, I'm content with current benchmarks on the battery.

Performance is the same. If there is indeed a problem (ie due to encryption), a software update can certainly change things. But again, like battery life, I'm fine with the performance.

So no, I'm not 'doing anything to myself' nor am I waiting for any software updates. If there are issues, I'll expect those to get resolved, though.

If you like great hardware, get the Note 4. It's a fantastic piece of kit in that regard. Software is all Nexus, execpt multitasking which the Note does better. I wonder of Google will release true multitasking for the Nexus 6. It's mind boggling that they did not.

CronoShot

The phone isn't broken though. The majority of "issues" being reported are software based. The camera can and will improve with software updates, and so will battery life. Screen brightness is probably a non-issue for most people, because I literally don't know a single person that ever sets their phone brightness anywhere near max. But sure, that's something that won't be addressed via software.

Everybody knows that the hardware in the Nexus 6 is solid, including the camera. Software tweaks can and will optimize the overall experience. Will it make it ever feel like a generation ahead of what it is now? No. Will it make it better? Yeah, definitely.
This is my point. Software updates can help, certainly. That's why they exist. But there's nothing Google can do to turn this into a completely different phone as other people seem to think will happen. There may be modest improvements at best, and bug fixes for sure, but for the most part, what you see is what you get.

th3dude

This is my point. Software updates can help, certainly. That's why they exist. But there's nothing Google can do to turn this into a completely different phone as other people seem to think will happen. There may be modest improvements at best, and bug fixes for sure, but for the most part, what you see is what you get.

If we get 'modest improvements', what more can we even ask for? I don't understand how this thing is perceived as some super underperformer. I just don't get it.

if you want stock, get a Nexus 6. if you want the best phone released in 2014, get the Note 4.

Contract renewal coming up.

Still need to decide between this phone or Note 4.

I could just keep the current one.

Hm.

you.

know.

what.

to.

do.

I'm torn. Im currently using an HTC one m7,which has one of the shittiest cameras and batteries. The battery goes from 90%ish to 30% in about 4 hours of moderate usage sometimes. The camera, wasn't really great when I first got the phone, but now it's gotten worse with the purple hue that plagues the camera most of the time! What's weird is that some reviewers (including MKBHD) said that its battery was solid

So you see, all this talk about the camera and battery of the nexus 6 (especially the batt) got me worried. I don't want a nice looking phone with a shit battery. I don't know what to think anymore, and the fact that there's no confirmed release date for the nexus here makes me consider the Note 4 even more..

I guess I'll wait a couple more weeks to decide.

Sprint customers confirming that Motorola-bought Nexus 6s are not working out of the box on their network. Sprint says they haven't been white listed, and they're bouncing them back to Motorola.

hitsugi

It isn't "googlers." It's just that one person you quoted. For life.

Ty4on

Screen brightness is probably a non-issue for most people, because I literally don't know a single person that ever sets their phone brightness anywhere near max. But sure, that's something that won't be addressed via software.
The screen is still inefficient, inaccurate and pentile.

thuway

Impressions from a friend. Both of us have Note 3's, so take these impressions with that in mind.

* Lollipop is pretty awesome. It makes Android fun again.
* Boot time takes a good minute.
* "It was so nice to not be bombarded with S _________ when you sign up. Fuck Samsung Hub."
* Speakers are a HUGE step up above Note 3.
* Camera is roughly the same with Note 3. +/- but it's a wash.
* 6 inch screen, he fell in love with. Says it has about the same quality as the Note 3. Colors are more restrained, but feel more accurate?
* Loves the phone, haters gonna hate, now to test battery life.

Any questions for him?

Jeff-DSA

Sheesh, I didn't even know that the Nexus 6 had a PenTile display. I guess I haven't done enough homework on it, despite reading a lot of reviews and impressions. I guess the typical PentTile look isn't as big of a deal on this high of a resolution or something?

NotBacon

What? This is a joke post right? Software can and WILL improve phone software (usually). Screen is hardware. The perfectly fine screen can't be upgraded through software.

Who is saying this? The phone has couple of drawbacks that are completely software related, and software problems can be corrected by software. Do you not believe this? Are you just trolling?

It's not the perfect phone. No phone is. Why are people assuming others are oblivious?

Impressions from a friend. Both of us have Note 3's, so take these impressions with that in mind.

* Lollipop is pretty awesome. It makes Android fun again.
* Boot time takes a good minute.
* "It was so nice to not be bombarded with S _________ when you sign up. Fuck Samsung Hub."
* Speakers are a HUGE step up above Note 3.
* Camera is roughly the same with Note 3. +/- but it's a wash.
* 6 inch screen, he fell in love with. Says it has about the same quality as the Note 3. Colors are more restrained, but feel more accurate?
* Loves the phone, haters gonna hate, now to test battery life.

Any questions for him?

ask him what color profile on the Note 3 he was comparing the Nexus 6 to.

th3dude

Seems like every regular user that gets their hands on this thing likes the screen a lot.

But, you know, it will suck according to people that have never touched it.

CronoShot

Who is saying this? The phone has couple of drawbacks that are completely software related, and software problems can be corrected by software. Do you not believe this? Are you just trolling?

It's not the perfect phone. No phone is. Why are people assuming others are oblivious?

You, as a matter of fact.

Oh cool how is your Nexus 6? I'd assume you have a consumer version in your hands right now to make those claims, so how is it?

Is the 'consumer version' a completely different phone?

Well considering Google has been pushing multiple updates to it, and said they are still working on the performance thing, most likely.

And I heard this shit when the Nexus 5 came out too. "Wait for updates, they'll fix the battery life and camera! It's all software problems! They will be fixed soon!"

Nothing will turn this phone into something it's not. Bug fixes will happen (obviously) and minimal improvements might happen, but don't expect anything more.

Kathian

Banned
And I heard this shit when the Nexus 5 came out too. "Wait for updates, they'll fix the battery life and camera! It's all software problems! They will be fixed soon!"

Nothing will turn this phone into something it's not. Bug fixes will happen (obviously) and minimal improvements might happen, but don't expect anything more.

Don't expect a new OS to get better?
What is this shit? That's not a rational thought at all, it's one of the things going for it.

NotBacon

You, as a matter of fact.

Sorry if that's what it came across. It won't make it a different phone. But it can get damn close.
Don't be oblivious to the fact that software can make drastic improvements. See: Moto 360, N5 on Lollipop, etc.

It also helps that Google specifically said they were investigating the performance issues a few were reporting...

CronoShot

Don't expect a new OS to get better?
What is this shit? That's not a rational thought at all, it's one of the things going for it.

Not talking about the OS, talking about the phone. It's battery life, camera, performance, etc.

And I'm not saying NO improvements will happen. That's idiotic. But it's just as idiotic to expect an update to double battery life, or increase performance to infinity and beyond.

RedFyn

Not talking about the OS, talking about the phone. It's battery life, camera, performance, etc.

And I'm not saying NO improvements will happen. That's idiotic. But it's just as idiotic to expect an update to double battery life, or increase performance to infinity and beyond.
Who is saying that'll happen?

tfur

Checked that reddit link. It looks like the Qi charging is working. Someone specifically says they are using a flat charger and it is working.

This was my only concern, other than my phone not being shipped yet.

CronoShot

Who is saying that'll happen?

Looking around on Android forums (and even some people here): plenty. Not my exact words, but they're clearing expecting major improvements. I can go around quoting this very thread if you want.

I'm not saying the Nexus 6 is a piece of junk. Hell, I still want one. I guess I'm just tired of listening to Nexus fans (with the 5 and now the 6) expecting the phone's shortcomings to be fixed with a magical update. The phone has flaws. Buy the phone for what it is, not for what you think it might become later.

RedFyn

Looking around on Android forums (and even some people here): plenty. Not my exact words, but they're clearing expecting major improvements. I can go around quoting this very thread if you want.
Please do. I don't remember reading any comments so delusional as double battery life and a performance increase out of this world. I get that you're annoyed, but the over exaggeration of your posts makes it seem like you're just trolling.

Will there be improvements? Yes. Will they drastically change anything? Most likely not. You are right though, people need to temper their expectations.

CronoShot

Please do. I don't remember reading any comments so delusional as double battery life and a performance increase out of this world. I get that you're annoyed, but the over exaggeration of your posts makes it seem like you're just trolling.

Will there be improvements? Yes. Will they drastically change anything? Most likely not. You are right though, people need to temper their expectations.

All I'm trying to say.

I do apologize if it looks like I'm trolling. I'm certainly not trying to. Just internet sarcasm at its finest. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

NotBacon

It's still quite amazing to me that a phone launch could be THIS bad.

I really do wonder what's going on at Google. Barely launch a phone through a random blog post, no date for pre-orders, orders gone in 30 seconds, unfinished software on Nexus 9, and no communication for explaining any of this.

This is getting to OPO levels of bad.

All will be forgiven though once I get my Nexus 6 in my hands :3

draetenth

Well, I've decided to get a Nexus 6. It will be my first smart phone so I'm excited. Now I just need to decide which carrier to use... I can stay on my parents AT&T plan or go it alone with T-Mobile. I know both provide the same coverage in my area (excellent - both in my experience with AT&T and coworkers who use T-Mobile) so I guess it will depend on how important unlimited data and having my own phone line is...

Just tried out the N6 at my T-Mobile store.

The screen dimness and warm colors were immediately noticeable to me. Not complete deal breakers, because your eyes will adjust, but next to Nexus 5 it was very clear.

And, yeah, this thing is huge. I have small hands, and I could only just wrap my hand around it. I liked the weight and feel in the hand though. Those definitely went a long way in making me feel like I had a firm, comfortable grip on the thing.

Jzero

Google heard my players
/s
My phone finally shipped.

It's being shipped by UPS though. Fuck my life.

Top Bottom