• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6 |OT| Moto takes the L

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Got it!

Will post a bit after shower.

Question, Ok Google works with the screen on, but do I have to enable it to work with the screen off?

NotBacon

Still pending in Googy Wallet. Ordered 11/05

Pls

Got it!

Will post a bit after shower.

Question, Ok Google works with the screen on, but do I have to enable it to work with the screen off?

Probably, have you dug through every setting in Google Settings > Search & Now already?

Impressions from a friend. Both of us have Note 3's, so take these impressions with that in mind.

* Lollipop is pretty awesome. It makes Android fun again.
* Boot time takes a good minute.
* "It was so nice to not be bombarded with S _________ when you sign up. Fuck Samsung Hub."
* Speakers are a HUGE step up above Note 3.
* Camera is roughly the same with Note 3. +/- but it's a wash.
* 6 inch screen, he fell in love with. Says it has about the same quality as the Note 3. Colors are more restrained, but feel more accurate?
* Loves the phone, haters gonna hate, now to test battery life.

Any questions for him?

I cant wait to have the phone in my hands and give it an extended try as I will be coming from a Note 3 myself. Im not a camera buff, as a matter of fact, my Note 3 camera does the work perfectly for me. Im ALMOST ready to buy, so if I get to try it during the weekend most likely I will bite and get it then and there (provided AT&T has them available on their stores this week).

Mine is supposed to ship sometime tomorrow and I'm still very excited for it to arrive.

Why is it that waiting seems to take a lot longer the day of? :p

It seems that none of the carrier ones can be activated. You would have to have an already active sim or activate the service on a different phone. GJ Google. Even when people do get it they cant get it lol.

Jeff-DSA

Like I said a ton of pages back. Google can't launch a product without their issues. Every year it's something new lol.

It's not just Google. Apple has a disaster or two at every iPhone launch. Don't forget about that iOS update that basically removed all call functionality from the phones for a day or two. People in my office were PISSED.

th3dude

It seems that none of the carrier ones can be activated. You would have to have an already active sim or activate the service on a different phone. GJ Google. Even when people do get it they cant get it lol.

What does any of this have to do with Google? Any Nexus 6 works on T-Mobile or ATT out of the box.

Blame the carriers that only let certain Nexus 6s on their network like Verizon and Sprint.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Got mine this morning from Motorola.. shipped from Shenzen on Friday.. then the trip to Alaska to Memphis to Portland... showed up 9am to me.

Been messing with it all day. I'm pretty damn happy. Battery life seems ok so far.. considering I didn't fully charge it until this afternoon.

Had a few issues with things before it updated, and no issues since. Issues involved apps failing to load.. but again no issues since.

Side by side to my wife's Note 4 it's noticeably larger.. and I'd say the screen honestly are pretty equal in quality.. the Note 4 get's a bit brighter, but the in no way is the Nexus 6 not bright.

Clean Android is nice, especially compared to my wife's Note. I prefer the no home button thing though.. so just on that alone.. I say the Nexus wins.

Sucks for you Google Play store buyers.. you got hosed.

What does any of this have to do with Google? Any Nexus 6 works on T-Mobile or ATT out of the box.

Blame the carriers that only let certain Nexus 6s on their network like Verizon and Sprint.

Agreed, fail to see how this is Google's fault that Sprint and Verizon are being assholes.

NotBacon

Loving the phone so far. Trying to get used to Android again. My last android phone was a droid X.

Got mine this morning from Motorola.. shipped from Shenzen on Friday.. then the trip to Alaska to Memphis to Portland... showed up 9am to me.

Been messing with it all day. I'm pretty damn happy. Battery life seems ok so far.. considering I didn't fully charge it until this afternoon.

After everything has updated and settled, have you guys noticed any of these "performance issues" cited by Ars and a couple of others?

Sweet Jesus droid X to Nexus 6

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
After everything has updated and settled, have you guys noticed any of these "performance issues" cited by Ars and a couple of others?

Not that I've noticed honestly. I think the focus on the semi-negative Ars review is being overstated so far. It's not a slow phone at all.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

To be fair I went Droid X to iPhone 5 to this :)

As for performance, the thing flies. Every now and then I'll see a hitch but nothing the iPhone 5 and 6 plus didnt have as well. I'm honestly impressed at how much better android is since froyo.

Now... What apps to download... And what case to get.

On that end, do any of you in the US do insurance? I wonder if I can do some through my renters insurance.

Edit: Also the OK google thing when the phone is asleep won't work.I turned the setting on and recorded my voice, but it just won't work unless I'm on the home screen. Weird.

It's not just Google. Apple has a disaster or two at every iPhone launch. Don't forget about that iOS update that basically removed all call functionality from the phones for a day or two. People in my office were PISSED.
not the same though. I just mean the actual launch. Apple announces, releases a mere 1-2 weeks later, and people have working phones on their hands. An ios update that came a bit later and was only up for 20 mins doesn't really count as launch.

Jeff-DSA

not the same though. I just mean the actual launch. Apple announces, releases a mere 1-2 weeks later, and people have working phones on their hands. An ios update that came a bit later and was only up for 20 mins doesn't really count as launch.

Ok, then how about phones that drop reception by being held? I mean, that was an actual design flaw that made it into production.

dc89

Any idea when UK preorders will be going up.

Although, I'm happy to wait a bit and read impressions before deciding to upgrade from nexus 5.

Vodafone went up today. First 500 people to order got a free Moto 360.
Bloody nice deal that :lol

amm

I've only used iPhones, but been really interested in Androids. I probably won't get a 6 because of its size and price, but i'd be down to get a Nexus 4 or 5. Are these available on contract on AT&T or do i have to seek out an unlocked version? what's a good price for these? i don't mind buying used.

also, is there anything like FaceTime on Android? Not that I use it much at all, but it's a nice feature. also, anything similar to imessage? emojis?

Jzero

Vodafone went up today. First 500 people to order got a free Moto 360.
Bloody nice deal that :lol

God damn, that's a great deal.

I've only used iPhones, but been really interested in Androids. I probably won't get a 6 because of its size and price, but i'd be down to get a Nexus 4 or 5. Are these available on contract on AT&T or do i have to seek out an unlocked version? what's a good price for these? i don't mind buying used.

also, is there anything like FaceTime on Android? Not that I use it much at all, but it's a nice feature. also, anything similar to imessage? emojis?

Emojis come built in.

Nexus 5 isnt sold on contract at AT&T, but it is $350-400 new and probably half that used.

Wreav

Banned
also, is there anything like FaceTime on Android? Not that I use it much at all, but it's a nice feature. also, anything similar to imessage?

Android uses Hangouts for both of those features, and luckily, both are multiplatform for Android/iOS/MacOS/Windows. Supports video clips up to 10 seconds, video calls, free phone calls over wifi, texting, MMS, everything you could want.

Wreav

Banned
I have to shake my head when people rave about iMessage. It's such a pathetic offering compared to Hangouts. The hardest part about Hangouts, though, is convincing all your friends to use it instead of iMessage if they're on iOS.

inner-G

Banned
Any camera impressions?

N6 looks really nice but I'm considering jumping over to iOS just for the camera on the 6+.

NotBacon

Hangouts babe. Live and breathe it.

Any camera impressions?

N6 looks really nice but I'm considering jumping over to iOS just for the camera on the 6+.

Really good in anything but super low light. It's not AS great as a 6+ or Note 4 (although there are videos out there disproving this, and some people don't like the Note 4 post-processing), but it's more than fine for anyone really.

amm

I have to shake my head when people rave about iMessage. It's such a pathetic offering compared to Hangouts. The hardest part about Hangouts, though, is convincing all your friends to use it instead of iMessage if they're on iOS.

definitely not "raving" about it. i could care less about iOS. i'm just wondering what type of equivalents there are. hangouts sounds cool.

Marco1

Just pre-ordered a 64GB Blue from Carphone Warehouse UK with a follow up email that's about as vague as it gets.
It says delivery Dec 1 but I'm sure it won't.

Jeff-DSA

Serious question...are many people really using over 5 hours of on screen time per day? Android Authority says you get a little more than 5 hours of on screen time per charge. There's no way that I'll log that much time on my phone in even a heavy use day.

Also, I wish people would say how bright the phone screen was set when they come up with that number. Most of the time I have my phones at around 50% brightness. Would I see more mileage per charge?

Anyway, seeing that 5 hours of screen time is typical, I have no worries about battery life. I might get 1-2 per day, probably less.

Just pre-ordered a 64GB Blue from Carphone Warehouse UK with a follow up email that's about as vague as it gets.
It says delivery Dec 1 but I'm sure it won't.

It's really frustrating me that Carphone Warehouse seems to have exclusivity on the white model for contracts, because it's also the one site that won't let me order. I just get a generic fail message. I gave them a call and they were just as unhelpful "Sorry, it's not letting me make the order". Great. Why? "I don't know what the problem is".

So I went through BuyMobiles.net which I've used for my last two phones, and it went through without a hitch but I've had to settle for blue. Which I don't mind aesthetically but I've heard it's a finger print magnet. Hopefully they get white in before it ships and I can switch but I'm not holding my breath.

Kathian

Banned
Quite like Lollipop on my Nexus 7 but its not quite revolutionary. Lockscreen is amazing though.
Now its just down to the battery (and availability of 64GB model) if the screen is not too bad but we'll see.

Am too bored with the Note line :/ I think this is me; buying the slightly riskier but interesting model every two years.

@thuway

How has your friend found going from offscreen buttons to having the touch screen based buttons. Does it remove the benefits of a large screen by taking up space?

thuway

I'm back on the phone train. As far as my friend goes, he's busy at work (medical resident), so the only thing he told me was - it's bright enough to make my head hurt.

He said he's used to the size by now, and it feels like the jump from the Note 1 to Note 2 in terms of "bigness". He's pretty happy. That's about it.

I preordered again :/. Dat weakness.

Jeff-DSA

My brother is texting me, annoyed, about his efforts of trying to find a phone to buy from T-Mobile. He's called 4-5 local stores and all of them have said that they don't know if they're going to have the phone available or not tomorrow. How could they not know? How is this something that they wouldn't have already received by now?

Top Bottom