• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6 |OT| Moto takes the L

I was in a T-Mobile store today to get a new nano-SIM. They said the Nexus 6 wasn't even in their system to place an order. They didn't receive demo units either.

dc89

Hangouts is so good. It's definitely one of Google's best products.

Changed my default SMS app to Hangouts on my Z3.
It's a nice expierience, me and the GF chat on Hangouts quite a bit, so it's nice having all my messages in one place.

Changed my default SMS app to Hangouts on my Z3.
It's a nice expierience, me and the GF chat on Hangouts quite a bit, so it's nice having all my messages in one place.

Hangouts handles SMS really well. Especially if you use a Google voice number. Being able to respond to texts from my PC is fantastic and never worrying about losing your texts if you change phones is nice too.

Wreav

Banned
Hangouts sucks. It's all about Google Messenger.

Tumblr_m935jbUGkB1qhd1lzo1_400.gif

Trouble

Banned
Hangouts handles SMS really well. Especially if you use a Google voice number. Being able to respond to texts from my PC is fantastic and never worrying about losing your texts if you change phones is nice too.

Yep, I got my family members on hangouts so they can "text" me if they or I are overseas and only on wifi.

My brother and I were chatting while we were both on flights a little while ago. Using the same gogo account because their system only prevents two people from using the same account on the same flight.

thuway

I took some comparison pics of the Nexus 6 and Note 3s display. Both phones are at their max brightness. The Nexus 6 has adaptive display OFF. The Note 3 is in Standard mode with power saving off.

The phones are running in their respective mode to acheive maximum brightness.

yqoKoPj.jpg

Turning ON Adaptive Display will make the screen considerably dim. In any case, IMO when both are set to max, Nexus 6 wins.

todd360

I took some comparison pics of the Nexus 6 and Note 3s display. Both phones are at their max brightness. The Nexus 6 has adaptive display OFF. The Note 3 is in Standard mode with power saving off.

yqoKoPj.jpg

Turning ON Adaptive Display will make the screen considerably dim. In any case, IMO when both are set to max, Nexus 6 wins.

Damn it. That was the biggest thing keeping me from buying. I have to get it now lol. Think I might wait until the service providers actually get the phone in their system or whatever is going on.

thuway

Oh and here's a comparison of the Note 3 Max Brightness with the Nexus 6 with Adaptive Brightness On.

TL;DR: Adaptive Brightness makes the Nexus 6 super dim, and Anandtech most likely didn't bother turning it off. It operates independantly from the brightness slider.

cZbOhOA.jpg

yqoKoPj.jpg

Niceee. This is very very good. Now get some battery stats and shut these haters up permanently.

Oh and here's a comparison of the Note 3 Max Brightness with the Nexus 6 with Adaptive Brightness On.

TL;DR: Adaptive Brightness makes the Nexus 6 super dim, and Anandtech most likely didn't bother turning it off. It operates independantly from the brightness slider.

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/cZbOhOA.jpg?1[/IMG]

I doubt it. From their review.

Testing was performed with both the manual brightness settings, and with Adaptive Brightness enabled and a bright LED aimed at the light sensor. In both cases the maximum brightness was the same, there's no higher brightness exposed when using the automatic brightness settings like there is for the Galaxy Note 4.

thuway

I turned the brightness on my Nexus 6 all the way up and almost went blind. I have it on about 50% now. It gets plenty bright.

I'm not trying to be the new "NoBacon", but I agree. My Note 3 at max brightness in a normal room is blinding, and the Nexus 6 was killing it in terms of brightness. Ya'll are gonna have to find something else to hate on.

As for the battery, my friend told me its doing awesome for him.

So yeah, now just about that .RAW camera option.

BIGWORM

My local TMO has a demo unit of the N6 in the store, but didn't receive any phones. I'm almost looking to get a Note 4 at this point.

cZbOhOA.jpg

Pretty sure they DID turn it off. Also, multiple sites have corroborated the terrible peak brightness rating - are they ALL making the same mistake? And finally, the Note 3 is capable of shooting to 660 nits or so in auto brightness mode under sunlight - a feature which the Nexus does not have at all. Objectively, the Nexus is dimmer, period...

thuway

Pretty sure they DID turn it off. Also, multiple sites have corroborated the terrible peak brightness rating - are they ALL making the same mistake? And finally, the Note 3 is capable of shooting to 660 nits or so in auto brightness mode under sunlight - a feature which the Nexus does not have at all. Objectively, the Nexus is dimmer, period...

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. And those pictures up there? I TOOK THEM.

From Anandtech's review:

Testing was performed with both the manual brightness settings, and with Adaptive Brightness enabled and a bright LED aimed at the light sensor. In both cases the maximum brightness was the same, there's no higher brightness exposed when using the automatic brightness settings like there is for the Galaxy Note 4.

Once again this is with Adaptive Brightness disabled:

yqoKoPj.jpg
The Nexus 6 is brighter. gasp.

From Anandtech's review:

Uhh, their quote clearly states they did tests in two settings.

(1) manual brightness

and

(2) adaptive Brightness + LED aimed at light sensor

They must have done the second case because some phones have a brightness boost mode under adaptive settings.

And we aren't hating on the phone (mine is being delivered tomorrow). It just seems odd to go with anecdotal evidence than using numbers from standardized tests corroborated by multiple sources.

Turn on adaptive brightness on the Note 3 and go out into the sun. Maybe it has a boost mode.

thuway

Uhh, their quote clearly states they did tests in two settings.

(1) manual brightness

and

(2) adaptive Brightness + LED aimed at light sensor

They must have done the second case because some phones have a brightness boost mode under adaptive settings.

And we aren't hating on the phone (mine is being delivered tomorrow). It just seems odd to go with anecdotal evidence than using numbers from standardized tests corroborated by multiple sources.

Turn on adaptive brightness on the Note 3 and go out into the sun. Maybe it has a boost mode.

This is something most people don't know. On the Nexus 6, Adaptive Brightness is an independant setting from the brightness slider. In fact, to enable it, it's deep within the settings menu.

This means: You can turn the slider all the way up AND enable adaptive brightness at the same time. This is what my pictures illustrate.

From Anandtech's review:

Once again this is with Adaptive Brightness disabled:

yqoKoPj.jpg
The Nexus 6 is brighter. gasp.

Read it again and get back to me man.

Not hating. Do we believe your picture (lol - can't tell much from it anyways) or multiple sources with objective measurements that ALL agree?

thuway

Read it again and get back to me man.

Not hating. Do we believe your picture (lol - can't tell much from it anyways) or multiple sources with objective measurements that ALL agree?

Adaptive Brightness on the Nexus 6 is independant from the brightness slider.
IMO, Anand enabled it, and than proceeded to turn the brightness slider to maximum. My second picture shows that if you do that, you'll still have a dim image.

If you turn OFF adaptive brightness, and set the brightness slider to max, it will beat the Note 3. Trust me.

Adaptive Brightness on the Nexus 6 is independant from the brightness slider.
IMO, Anand enabled it, and than proceeded to turn the brightness slider to maximum. My second picture shows that if you do that, you'll still have a dim image.

If you turn OFF adaptive brightness, and set the brightness slider to max, it will beat the Note 3. Trust me.

Yes, we know what Adaptive Brightness is.

And when someone says manual brightness, they obviously mean as opposed to having adaptive brightness enabled.

Anyway, this discussion is not headed anywhere. I shall go to sleep, hopefully UPS delivers early tomorrow.

NotBacon

I'm not trying to be the new "NoBacon", but I agree. My Note 3 at max brightness in a normal room is blinding, and the Nexus 6 was killing it in terms of brightness. Ya'll are gonna have to find something else to hate on.

As for the battery, my friend told me its doing awesome for him.

So yeah, now just about that .RAW camera option.

Bad luck NotBacon. Was right all along. Still notorious. :/

Yes, we know what Adaptive Brightness is.

And when someone says manual brightness, they obviously mean as opposed to having adaptive brightness enabled.

I think what he's saying is that by moving the slider manually they assumed that automatically turned off adaptive brightness and went into manual mode, as it did with KitKat (or at least that's how it works on my Nexus 4). But now changing the brightness manually to full doesn't actually take it to full unless you take the extra new step of turning adaptive brightness off and then moving the slider manually.

Is it objectively worse in benchmarks? I dont know, maybe. I spent a couple of hours reading and watching reviews yesterday and I don't think I heard anything negative about the screen (quite the opposite). MKBHD was asked his favourite thing about the Nexus 6 on Reddit and he said "The screen. I love the screen". So I'm not too worried really. Battery is more of a concern for me than people who haven't touched it analysing cold numbers.

Jzero

Why do people care so much about the highest brightness number? I always keep my Nexus 5 below half.

I think what he's saying is that by moving the slider manually they assumed that took it out of adaptive brightness and into manual mode, as it did with KitKat (or at least that's how it works on my Nexus 4). But now changing the brightness manually to full doesn't actually take it to full unless you take the extra new step of turning adaptive brightness off and then moving the slider manually.

Is it objectively worse in benchmarks? I dont know, maybe. I spent a couple of hours reading and watching reviews yesterday and I don't think I heard anything negative about the screen (quite the opposite). MKBHD was asked his favourite thing about the Nexus 6 on Reddit and he said "The screen. I love the screen". So I'm not too worried really. Battery is more of a concern for me than people who haven't touched it analysing cold numbers.

Why do people care so much about the highest brightness? I always keep my Nexus 5 below half.

True, max brightness definitely isn't an issue for me. I think I can deal with middling to low battery life as well. My only concern is about some users reporting 'ok google' not working when the screen is off.

Ty4on

This is something most people don't know. On the Nexus 6, Adaptive Brightness is an independant setting from the brightness slider. In fact, to enable it, it's deep within the settings menu.

This means: You can turn the slider all the way up AND enable adaptive brightness at the same time. This is what my pictures illustrate.
AMOLEDs overheat much more easily so to cope with direct sunlight some new panels have a boosted brightness hidden in automatic brightness when strong light hits the sensor. I think the S5 was the first smartphone with this (which was wrongly reported as the maximum brightness in a screen review), but the Moto X 2014 which seems to feature a very similar screen also has it.

LCD panels are even brighter though ^^

Went to tmobile to see if they had a demo unit up but they said not to tomorrow.

They let me hold a case. That's a big phone LOL.

Looking forward to actually holding the phone and deciding if I want this beast haha.

clav

Went to tmobile to see if they had a demo unit up but they said not to tomorrow.

They let me hold a case. That's a big phone LOL.

Looking forward to actually holding the phone and deciding if I want this beast haha.

Still debating this and the Note 4.

If one has better reception than the other, then the choice is easy.

Top Bottom