• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6 |OT| Moto takes the L

CronoShot

Apparently people doing Jump upgrades on T-Mobile are first in line. There are people on XDA who ordered over 7 hours after I did getting tracking numbers, while I'm stuck on backordered.

dc89

Deal is still up here if interested. My current plan (S3, 1GB data) was £37 so pretty happy with this. And 6 months Spotify so I'll just cancel my current plan.

az0ayBc.png

Just got a new contract with O2, got a Z3 a month or so ago. But in March I might pick one of these up and sell the Z3.

Moto 360 - I had the pleasure of using one all day today. So cool, really changed my opinion on smart watches. Genuinely impressed with it.

Apparently people doing Jump upgrades on T-Mobile are first in line. There are people on XDA who ordered over 7 hours after I did getting tracking numbers, while I'm stuck on backordered.

Same here. Sucks because all the prev nexus devices I've just bought from the play store and I've been with T-Mobile for 9 years......Oh well.

todd360

It went up and sold out in a minute on the Play Store already.

Really? How can you sell out in a minute? Were people just hiting f5 constantly all day? Shouldn't it take over a minute to get your order in? Lol

I'm kind of glad I don't have to deal with that since I'm waiting until Christmas now.

Yeah. A few T-Mobile employees confirmed that this would happen prior to release on various message boards. They're giving priority to JUMP costumers as a member benefit.

Wreav

Banned
Really? How can you sell out in a minute? Were people just hiting f5 constantly all day? Shouldn't it take over a minute to get your order in? Lol

I'm kind of glad I don't have to deal with that since I'm waiting until Christmas now.

Because they have 6 units to sell every Wednesday.

th3dude

People have Chrome extensions to auto refresh the page, add to cart, and start the checkout process as soon as its available.

Battery update: at 82% with 1 hour and 1 minute screen on time. LTE only. A definite improvement over the Nexus 5 so far, which would've been in the low 60s by now. So I'm happy.

TxdoHawk

This is weird. I'm not on Jump but I received a tracking number around Noon today, and have an ETA of Monday for delivery.

Edit: Also HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE H

draetenth

A question for T-Mobile users... How is T-Mobile? Do they have good customer service? I'm looking to get the Nexus 6, but I'm not sure if I want to stay with AT&T on my parent's plan or go alone on T-Mobile with the $50 plan...

th3dude

A question for T-Mobile users... How is T-Mobile? Do they have good customer service? I'm looking to get the Nexus 6, but I'm not sure if I want to stay with AT&T on my parent's plan or go alone on T-Mobile with the $50 plan...

If you live in an area with good coverage (for example I live in a major metro area) the coverage and data speeds are amazing.

That said, you will see coverage issues in larger buildings. This is due to the bands that T-Mobile currently uses which are just poor at penetrating buildings. Places like my house and work I have no issues, but occasionally I'll be in a larger building and have issues. T-Mobile is working on acquiring more bands to be better at this over time.

Cant speak for customer service as I havent had to deal with them yet. I've done everything online.

You can't beat their monthly costs and no contract attitude.

Bottom line: if your area has coverage, switch. I left Verizon last year and never looked back. Switched my wife over this year as soon as her contract was up and she loves it as well. Cut our bill to about 80 bucks down from about 160 on Verizon where Verizon offered us much less data.

T-Mobile also has no data overages. Instead of charging you more or cutting you off, they simply throttle your speed. I'm on the 30 dollar prepaid plan which gets me unlimited talk and text + 5gb of LTE which gets throttled after that.

If you live in an area with good coverage (for example I live in a major metro area) the coverage and data speeds are amazing.

That said, you will see coverage issues in larger buildings. This is due to the bands that T-Mobile currently uses which are just poor at penetrating buildings. Places like my house and work I have no issues, but occasionally I'll be in a larger building and have issues. T-Mobile is working on acquiring more bands to be better at this over time.

Cant speak for customer service as I havent had to deal with them yet. I've done everything online.

Bottom line: if your area has coverage, switch. I left Verizon last year and never looked back. Switched my wife over this year as soon as her contract was up and she loves it as well. Cut our bill to about 80 bucks down from about 160 on Verizon where Verizon offered us much less data.

T-Mobile also has no data overages. Instead of charging you more or cutting you off, they simply throttle your speed. I'm on the 30 dollar prepaid plan which gets me unlimited talk and text + 5gb of LTE which gets throttled after that.

T-Mobile recently bought a bunch of 700mhz spectrum, which has very good building penetration, and the band for it is already supported by the Nexus 6. It was part of the reason I went with this phone, since I'm in NYC.

TxdoHawk

T-Mobile recently bought a bunch of 700mhz spectrum, which has very good building penetration, and the band for it is already supported by the Nexus 6. It was part of the reason I went with this phone, since I'm in NYC.

Oh, this is wonderful news. I work in a lot of older buildings, and this is my only complaint with T-mob.

kyongwon

Banned
just got my nexus 6
its att branded.
on boot it loads myatt and att live, both of which are removable. i kept myatt since its a good att account manager.
the phone was free because its my work device, so i dont mind the globe too much

IMG_20141119_182850.jpg

draetenth

Thanks for this. My area has excellent coverage according to T-mobile's website (AT&T also has excellent coverage). I will talk with my boss tomorrow (she has T-mobile), but I think I will switch to T-mobile...

just got my nexus 6
its att branded.
on boot it loads myatt and att live, both of which are removable. i kept myatt since its a good att account manager.
the phone was free because its my work device, so i dont mind the globe too much

IMG_20141119_182850.jpg

Haha. I posted your picture on the last page after I saw it on Reddit.

kyongwon

Banned
Haha. I posted your picture on the last page after I saw it on Reddit.

oh haha i didn't notice >_>
ask questions you guys may have but i did already answer the important ones:

bloatware: myatt and att live (both can be removed)
yeah logo is there
NO 4G LTE looking icon for signal, its good default signal icons

14%2B-%2B1

Drifters

oh haha i didn't notice >_>
ask questions you guys may have but i did already answer the important ones:

bloatware: myatt and att live (both can be removed)
yeah logo is there
NO 4G LTE looking icon for signal, its good default signal icons

14%2B-%2B1
Fix your pic.

Also is the boot loader locked?

Drifters

Called Att and they confirmed getting the phone in either tomorrow night or first thing Friday morning. Better be able to pick one up Friday morning.

Mine is in Texas and should be here by Friday. It's Priority 2-Day shipping so it should be in Jersey by then I hope. I had a very bad week so something as little as getting a new phone will really brighten it up.

Husker86

So if anyone is wondering about the "Pink Screen"

I wonder if it's similar to the iphone 4 when you had yellowing going away.

Minimum Brightness.

http://i.imgur.com/gRiIq0t.jpg[/IMG

Maximum Brightness

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/FX3LhxQ.jpg[/IMG

Around 27.[/QUOTE]

Well now I'm convinced that trying to discern brightness through pictures is impossible. Those two images hardly look different to me (except being able to see behind the phone in the min brightness one).

Probably due to camera contrast adjustment. Side-by-side I think is the only way a picture will help. Not that I'm asking you to that, just an observation.

RedFyn

Map of T-Mobile's 700mhz (band 12)

XBP

Oooooooooh so tempting, but it just seems a little on the hacky side for me :/

Doesn't really look that hard though. The only thing I dont like is that after an OTA update, there is a very good chance that the device will be encrypted again. Which means we'll have to reformat everything.

RedFyn

Doesn't really look that hard though. The only thing I dont like is that after an OTA update, there is a very good chance that the device will be encrypted again. Which mean we'll have to reformat everything.
I'm just glad that we have some info on what an update can do. All of these arguments about how much of a difference it would make can be put to rest.

NotBacon

Doesn't really look that hard though. The only thing I dont like is that after an OTA update, there is a very good chance that the device will be encrypted again. Which mean we'll have to reformat everything.

Yeah I'm not talking difficulty, I could probably get it done in 5 minutes, I just mean it looks hacky as in: I don't know if this guy edited the boot.img correctly, it's probably not supposed to be edited anyway, OTAs will re-encrypt and cause headaches down the road, etc.

Edit: Yeah hopefully a simple update will just give us the option in the future

Jzero

just got my nexus 6
its att branded.

I should have bought the white one. That back looks ugly in this photo.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I love my nexus so far but I wish the power and volume buttons were higher. I keep hitting them grabbing my phone out of my pocket or just holding it. So far that's one of my only complaints.

Oh, and the battery sucks at the moment. The iPhone 6 plus I have last far longer for my daily use, though I haven't cycled the nexus battery yet.

th3dude

That's just where they have bought it do far.

Cool, thanks.

That's exciting that the Nexus 6 has support for this. Hopefully over the near term we'll see this implemented. It's really my only issue with coverage in the year I've had T-Mobile.

-PXG-

I love my nexus so far but I wish the power and volume buttons were higher. I keep hitting them grabbing my phone out of my pocket or just holding it. So far that's one of my only complaints.

Oh, and the battery sucks at the moment. The iPhone 6 plus I have last far longer for my daily use, though I haven't cycled the nexus battery yet.

Yeah. I've hit the power button a lot by accident. My brain is used to buttons being higher and being on both sides, not the same.

I'm loving my N6 so far. Fucking fabulous device

th3dude

Yeah. I've hit the power button a lot by accident. My brain is used to buttons being higher and being on both sides, not the same.

I'm loving my N6 so far. Fucking fabulous device

Yea it seems like this is something to get used to. I think overall it was the right placement as you can hit the buttons when holding the device one handed.

Too bad NYC and 1/2 of NJ (top half) wont be getting 700mhz for a few years :/

http://www.tmonews.com/2014/11/t-mobile-700mhz-interactive-map/

There's a channel 51 station squatting on the spectrum and won't be moved for a while it seems
WNJN, Montclair, NJ
description
A protected TV channel 51 station. 700 MHz A block spectrum cannot be used inside the red circle.

Wreav

Banned
So has anyone had luck using this thing with one hand? I know you can't use it that way 100% of the time, but for simple web/music browsing, that kind of thing?

So has anyone had luck using this thing with one hand? I know you can't use it that way 100% of the time, but for simple web/music browsing, that kind of thing?

I have small hands, so the only way I could use it one handed, even for basic swipes, is to hold it in an insecure way fingers not reaching across the back). While that stinks a bit, I'm already getting used to the size, and the speakers are excellent.

Top Bottom