• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6 |OT| Moto takes the L

Jeff-DSA

Well, mine is ordered and on its way. Went through a T-Mobile store, and the estimate for arrival is "some time next week." That's fine by me. I'd love to get it before Thanksgiving so I can have great pictures, but it's nice knowing that I have it secured.

I'm definitely going to disable that encryption. Man, what a difference.

kehs

Banned
Well, mine is ordered and on its way. Went through a T-Mobile store, and the estimate for arrival is "some time next week." That's fine by me. I'd love to get it before Thanksgiving so I can have great pictures, but it's nice knowing that I have it secured.

I'm definitely going to disable that encryption. Man, what a difference.

I don't think you can disable encryption the n6 without loading custom kernels and roms on it.

Ty4on

Well now I'm convinced that trying to discern brightness through pictures is impossible. Those two images hardly look different to me (except being able to see behind the phone in the min brightness one).

Probably due to camera contrast adjustment. Side-by-side I think is the only way a picture will help. Not that I'm asking you to that, just an observation.

Auto exposure.

Sprint has lowered the price of its on-contract Nexus 6 from $299.99 to $249.99. This brings the carrier's asking price in line with AT&T, who previously sold a near identical version for $50 less. The full cost of the phone has also dropped down to $648, making Sprint's version one dollar cheaper than what you find on Google Play.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...s-6-price-249-will-issue-refunds-ordered-299/

same thing they did with the Note 4, though in that case they actually dropped the price before launch so you weren't actually charged more.

Any additional impressions out there? I need to live through current N6 owners until mine shows up.

Ask away. I've had mine since yesterday.

Seriously. Wherre the battery impressions at??

Still haven't had a full day with regular use yet (today is the first full day with it).

However, I'm averaging 4.5-5hrs screen on time with (spotty) LTE only. No Wifi.

Coming from a Nexus 5, which lasted 2.5-3hrs), that's a huge improvement.

In other AT&T (and future Verizon) news/failings, here's how their version differs:

1. AT&T logo on the back.
2. Installs AT&T apps on setup.
3. SIM locked to AT&T.

My battery life today. I have a feeling tomorrow will go much better. Most of today was on emails, Candy Crush and browsing. 1hr 45 mins screen on time. 43% drop.

o6tcxbk.png

What an age we live in when I can't view a screenshot of my phone in native resolution on my desktop .

I picked up my N6 on the way to work, didn't get a chance to do anything with it other than opening the box in my car and immediately having it fall out between my seat and the center console. No harm, fortunately! Feel like that guy from the iPhone 6 video though.

It feels very nice in hand and, somehow, smaller than I thought it would be. Despite having a cardboard cutout of it and a case ready to put it in. Like the other guy, yes, it has the AT&T branding unfortunately. I ordered through AT&T Next as I couldn't afford to pay it all up front with Google Play, oh well... Tonight I'll see about putting a custom recovery and root on, and doing the decryption hack.

NotBacon

Really don't want to have to do the decryption hack and deal with manually flashing and decrypting each new OTA image :/

Come on Googy pls give us the option

Yeah, that Facebook app for Android is horrible for your battery life. I just use the mobile site on Dolphin, probably doesn't have all the features but it works pretty damn well in my opinion.

gcubed

got 5:18 of screen on time on my first day of usage. Not bad at all.

Screen is very crisp, but definitely not as calibrated as the N5. Its not as bright as the N5 either.

I can one hand it for some usage, but definitely can't do extended periods with one hand (i'm also a giant).

Turbo Charge is awesome. The speakers are great. Way better then the M7 (never used an M8).

I don't really notice any performance difference between this and the N5 i came from. So, don't expect too much. I notice the extra memory more then the chip (which i assume is drained by the screen and encryption)

th3dude

Ordered a 32gb white from Motorola on 11/12. Shipping label created today with estimated delivery of 11/25, a week earlier than original estimate. Hype!

Have been loving the phone. Only two current issues

• Cloud Print keeps reporting a crash.
  • The speaker (when in a phone call) slowly ramps up in volume instead of being active immediately. I don't know if it is a "bug" or a "feature".

Have been loving the phone. Only two current issues

• Cloud Print keeps reporting a crash.
  • The speaker (when in a phone call) slowly ramps up in volume instead of being active immediately. I don't know if it is a "bug" or a "feature".

Yeah, I'm experiencing the same thing myself.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I keep hitting the power/volume buttons when pulling the thing out of my pocket. :p

Also, anyone notice the B&W notifications pop up randomly even when you don't move the phone?

Otherwise I am loving the phone.

Way to ruin my day.

Also, I was on track for about 5 hours screen on time yesterday on LTE. That's 2 hours more than my Nexus 5 ever got.

Today is my first full day test.

Yeah sorry about that, I was in the process of trying to decide if I wanted to upgrade from my Nexus 5 to maybe the Z3, N6 or Note 4. Did a bunch of reading regarding the 700mhz band and its potential upgrade of the Tmo network. But since I won't get better LTE (at least not next year in Jersey), I held off and bought a video card instead haha

I keep hitting the power/volume buttons when pulling the thing out of my pocket. :p

Also, anyone notice the B&W notifications pop up randomly even when you don't move the phone?

Otherwise I am loving the phone.

It's hit or miss, but it's suppose to do that when you get a notification, turn on and pulse every once in a while to show you it's there. Then, it goes to sleep again until you pick it up.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It's hit or miss, but it's suppose to do that when you get a notification, turn on and pulse every once in a while to show you it's there. Then, it goes to sleep again until you pick it up.

I phrased that wrong, the notifications work fine, I mean it'll just show the notifications randomly even if I don't have a new one and I didn't move the phone.

So it just pops on sometimes when sitting on the desk by me even when I don't have a notification.

Not a big issue, just interesting.

Drifters

I phrased that wrong, the notifications work fine, I mean it'll just show the notifications randomly even if I don't have a new one and I didn't move the phone.

So it just pops on sometimes when sitting on the desk by me even when I don't have a notification.

Moto X does that and the active display on the 6 does too.

Quite nice.

I understood. Maybe I phrased it wrong, haha.

I mean, it turns on once in a while to tell you you still have pending notifications. It's like the notification light, except nicer.

Also, it's confirmed that the Nexus 6 has an RGB led light in the top speaker. It's just not used.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I understood. Maybe I phrased it wrong, haha.

I mean, it turns on once in a while to tell you you still have pending notifications. It's like the notification light, except nicer.

Also, it's confirmed that the Nexus 6 has an RGB led light in the top speaker. It's just not used.

What??? No led or tap to wake? I'd at least like the option, googy

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Oh interesting. The weird thing is I'll get a notification, the screen will go off and then come back on 5 seconds later, then off, then like 30 seconds later on. It just seems random, but it always does it right after it shuts off.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I got mine yesterday. Fedex delivered it from AT&T. I did the whole, "Tap your old device" to transfer everything and it worked well. The AT&T splash screen at startup is a bit jarring because it is so damned loud, but I don't mind the sticker on the back. I am definitely going to have to get used to the size of the device, but I love the screen. I use the Yahoo Weather widget and the images on that look much better. I haven't done video on it yet though.

I do have one minor gripe. The ringtones suck! I know AT&T added their own (which no one will ever use), but man the others blow as well. I was looking for the rings/tones that I used on the 5, but they are no where to be found.

Also, I am having to get used to the new notification system that is a bit confusing. I am not sure I can get it to how I like it. I don't need a tone/vibrate everytime I get an email, but I can't fine a way to turn that off without turning off all notifications of the event.

1 ATT store... No nexus
1 best buy... Online only
1 ATT store no nexus.

F#@$k!!!!!!!

Lol. I've already accepted that I'm going to get this in December with all the stock issues from the Play store. It sucks that I have to wait though.

Yeah, these things are coming in hot from China. My T-Mobile one was manufactured on the 9th, just 3 days before the original T-Mobile launch date. I see now why they delayed it by a week.

Drifters

Lol. I've already accepted that I'm going to get this in December with all the stock issues from the Play store. It sucks that I have to wait though.
If this is going to be the tale of this phone then I may just say f it and keep my N4 till March when the new flagships come out.

Typical USPS, was supposed to get it today but seems that it arrived in a town about 30 minutes away from me around 11:30 this morning. I was so looking forward to playing with the phone today!

Blah :(

Jzero

Typical USPS, was supposed to get it today but seems that it arrived in a town about 30 minutes away from me around 11:30 this morning. I was so looking forward to playing with the phone today!

Blah :(

Mine is being delivered by UPS so it will get here at 8:00 PM sharp like every single package i get from them. I seem to be the last customer on their list.

Whatever though, i get to use it today.

Top Bottom