• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6 |OT| Moto takes the L

Mine is being delivered by UPS so it will get here at 8:00 PM sharp like every single package i get from them. I seem to be the last customer on their list.

Whatever though, i get to use it today.

This happened a couple of times and one more day isn't going to kill me, was just looking forward to it is all. Our mailman already delivered our mail so tomorrow I'm going to look out for him like a hawk!

TxdoHawk

Typical USPS, was supposed to get it today but seems that it arrived in a town about 30 minutes away from me around 11:30 this morning. I was so looking forward to playing with the phone today!

Blah :(

If it makes you feel any better, mine is showing up Monday (UPS Ground, no Saturday delivery) and I'm off all weekend. So salty.

I got mine last night and set it up some with what time I had. Unlocked/rooted but stayed on the stock recovery so I can keep OTA updates. I'm really liking it so far, loaded some videos on it for a vacation coming up this weekend and they look and sound really nice. Lollipop is amazingly smooth too, even if I chose not to disable encryption yet.

Some tips for others, if you want to unlock, root, and/or install TWRP custom recovery, you can use this toolkit which makes it really simple. He'll be adding the option to disable encryption to it later as well, just keep in mind that doing so requires you to wipe your user data. If you want to disable it NOW, he linked an .img file later in that thread that combines root and decryption if you don't mind flashing it yourself.

For the AT&T version, you can use these instructions with a rooted device and a file manager such as ES File Explorer to remove the boot screen. The AT&T ringtones are also in the same directory if you want to remove them as well.

Also for the AT&T version, people have been reporting that the logo on the back scratches off very easily and leaves no mark. I didn't bother doing that though as I have mine in a case that covers it.

Marco1

Carphone Warehouse UK have now moved delivery of the 64GB from the 1st to the 16th.
There's no fucking way they didn't know the 64GB would be late when putting pre-orders up.

th3dude

I got mine last night and set it up some with what time I had. Unlocked/rooted but stayed on the stock recovery so I can keep OTA updates. I'm really liking it so far, loaded some videos on it for a vacation coming up this weekend and they look and sound really nice. Lollipop is amazingly smooth too, even if I chose not to disable encryption yet.

Some tips for others, if you want to unlock, root, and/or install TWRP custom recovery, you can use this toolkit which makes it really simple. He'll be adding the option to disable encryption to it later as well, just keep in mind that doing so requires you to wipe your user data. If you want to disable it NOW, he linked an .img file later in that thread that combines root and decryption if you don't mind flashing it yourself.

For the AT&T version, you can use these instructions with a rooted device and a file manager such as ES File Explorer to remove the boot screen. The AT&T ringtones are also in the same directory if you want to remove them as well.

Also for the AT&T version, people have been reporting that the logo on the back scratches off very easily and leaves no mark. I didn't bother doing that though as I have mine in a case that covers it.

Just remember that as of Lollipop, even root is enough to prevent OTA updates, so you'll need to revert root to get OTA.

Source: http://bgr.com/2014/11/14/android-5-0-lollipop-updates-and-root/

Screen off "OK Google" + Autovoice + Tasker + Plugins = the future. I am still playing around with it, but I've gotten it to connect to my car's head unit.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I've got a weird issue where when I say OK google with the screen off it turns on and goes to OK google but stops voice and just let's me type.

-PXG-

In case you guys didn't know already, your SIM card is the reason why you might find any carrier apps on your Nexus 6. It apparently installs them upon turning on and activating your it with your service. Those with a Nexus 6 on AT&T and T-Mobile (myself included) have confirmed this has happened.

I only had the My Account app from T-Mobile. and nothing else. I simple uninstalled it like any other app. I haven't had an issues with tethering either. However, I did notice (and so did others) that if you turn tethering on, it starts com.android.sdm.plugins.sprintdm, no matter what carrier you have. Again, so far, I haven't had any issues.

In case you guys didn't know already, your SIM card is the reason why you might find any carrier apps on your Nexus 6. It apparently installs them upon turning on and activating your it with your service. Those with a Nexus 6 on AT&T and T-Mobile (myself included) have confirmed this has happened.

I only had the My Account app from T-Mobile. and nothing else. I simple uninstalled it like any other app. I haven't had an issues with tethering either. However, I did notice (and so did others) that if you turn tethering on, it starts com.android.sdm.plugins.sprintdm, no matter what carrier you have. Again, so far, I haven't had any issues.

Curiously, despite being with AT&T I never got the AT&T apps when I activated. However, I don't know if that's because I activated through this website they linked in the order email and not someway on the phone itself or what. I think I heard of some other people on XDA who didn't get the apps installed, so it looks like there's something ultra specific that causes them to download.

-PXG-

Curiously, despite being with AT&T I never got the AT&T apps when I activated. However, I don't know if that's because I activated through this website they linked in the order email and not someway on the phone itself or what. I think I heard of some other people on XDA who didn't get the apps installed, so it looks like there's something ultra specific that causes them to download.

I bought mine at a T-Mobile store. The SIM card was already in the phone. I took it out of the box and turned it on in the store right after purchased it.

It's really odd indeed.

There is also talk that folks on AT&T and Verizon are having issues with tethering. T-Mobile never monitored tethering on my Nexus 5 and appears it is the same case with the Nexus 6.

Jzero

Got my phone :D

The idiot UPS guy put it right next to my neighbors rear wheel instead of my front door wtf.

Phone feels a lot slimmer than i though and the metal feels really nice compared to the Nexus 5.

T mobile guy here. This thing is glorious. No branding. The scariest part was cutting my Sim to fit.

Same i cut mine a bit too small but it still worked

I bought mine at a T-Mobile store. The SIM card was already in the phone. I took it out of the box and turned it on in the store right after purchased it.

It's really odd indeed.

There is also talk that folks on AT&T and Verizon are having issues with tethering. T-Mobile never monitored tethering on my Nexus 5 and appears it is the same case with the Nexus 6.

Tethering will supposedly work if you have a rooted phone and edit the build.prop file to add the line "net.tethering.noprovisioning=true". I haven't tried it though so can't confirm if it works or not. I think my family plan allows for tethering anyway so wouldn't be able to tell if it works.

BurningNad

Just got mine in a Tmobile store today! I love this thing!

I didn't realize, though, that Xposed doesn't run on Lollipop, and there's quite a few modules I'm missing, sorely.

Anyone have any root apps they want to recommend?

I used tap and pay for the first time today. Android 4.1 + T-Mobile + Samsung kept me from using something that I should have been able to use for at least two years.

I am also amazed at how versatile Tasker is, even without root. I hadn't looked into it much before. Now I have to buy a WeMo switch.

Jzero

Ugh I think something is wrong with the volume on my phone. The volume is louder in the middle than at max volume. The volume also gets lower by itself for some reason. I don't want to return it though.

th3dude

Ugh I think something is wrong with the volume on my phone. The volume is louder in the middle than at max volume. The volume also gets lower by itself for some reason. I don't want to return it though.

I'm so excited to try the speakers.

Milpool

L Camera has been updated to support the Nexus 6. Hopefully someone around here can get it running. For those that don't know this uses the android.hardware.camera2 API, which allows manual controls and .DNG output.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Former Nexus 5 owners who now own Nexus 6 phones. Tell me about the N6 battery life.

-PXG-

Former Nexus 5 owners who now own Nexus 6 phones. Tell me about the N6 battery life.

Hard to say since I'm still getting a feel for it. For a quad HD display, I suppose it's very good. Then again, this happened earlier....

PEyMHac.jpg

rIRx0Un.jpg

jGWEdD0.jpg

9lt8QVR.jpg

Jzero

It seems pretty good, I just watched three hours of documentaries and still have plenty of battery left. The phone charges super fast anyways. BTW swiping from the bezels feels amazingly smooth. My Nexus 5 felt "sharp" compared to this.

Hard to say since I'm still getting a feel for it. For a quad HD display, I suppose it's very good. Then again, this happened earlier....
What am I supposed to be seeing here?

Ty4on

L Camera has been updated to support the Nexus 6. Hopefully someone around here can get it running. For those that don't know this uses the android.hardware.camera2 API, which allows manual controls and .DNG output.

Whee! Maybe we can finally see how 1.1 and 1.4 micron pixels fare against each other without post processing. I really hope they eventually manage to get this out to every Android L device. Maybe I can get some usable shots from my Nexus 4.
It seems pretty good, I just watched three hours of documentaries and still have plenty of battery left. The phone charges super fast anyways. BTW swiping from the bezels feels amazingly smooth. My Nexus 5 felt "sharp" compared to this.
This was one of the main reasons I didn't go for a N5. The N5 has amazing HW, but the ergonomics felt like a step back from the N4. The N4 is the polar opposite with bad (immature) HW in a pretty body :p

I've had mine since Wednesday, and I came from a Nexus 5.

In short, it's much, much better in terms of battery. On my Nexus 5, I got 2.5-3hrs screen on time with LTE. On the Nexus 6, I am getting on average 4.5-5hrs on LTE/zero wifi. I know gcubed mentioned earlier, he got over 5 hours on his first charge.

I should note that I've turned nothing off. I have everything on.

Also, the turbo charging is insane. Once the chargers are cheaper/more available, it should make battery a thing of the past.

-PXG-

What am I supposed to be seeing here?

You tell me :p

I've finally gotten to grips with the basics of Tasker+Autovoice. I've currently set it up to do all of these based on different screen off voice commands.

Start playing music on my computer.
Connect to my car's head unit.
Continue to play the last podcast I was listening to.

Next step is to get the lights in my room hooked up to voice commands.

-PXG-

Anyone else have low call volume or am I just deaf? Music and videos are loud as fuck though. No complaints there?

TxdoHawk

We need more impressions. I have to live through you guys until Christmas lol.

I feel you, dude. Will throw some words up Monday after mine comes in.

Anyone else have low call volume or am I just deaf? Music and videos are loud as fuck though. No complaints there?

Two people in this thread mentioned call audio starting low and getting louder. Probably a bug.

Top Bottom