• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6 |OT| Moto takes the L

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've had mine since Wednesday, and I came from a Nexus 5.

In short, it's much, much better in terms of battery. On my Nexus 5, I got 2.5-3hrs screen on time with LTE. On the Nexus 6, I am getting on average 4.5-5hrs on LTE/zero wifi. I know gcubed mentioned earlier, he got over 5 hours on his first charge.

I should note that I've turned nothing off. I have everything on.

Also, the turbo charging is insane. Once the chargers are cheaper/more available, it should make battery a thing of the past.

Damn, that still sucks. It's not what I hoped for. If I bought the N6, I'd still long for a new phone. Sigh. Turbo charging is cool, sure, but I want to be out with the phone and not worry about it. Not carry a charger around.

Damn, that still sucks. It's not what I hoped for. If I bought the N6, I'd still long for a new phone. Sigh. Turbo charging is cool, sure, but I want to be out with the phone and not worry about it. Not carry a charger around.

I'm always puzzled by responses like this. I say the battery is 50% better, and it's still disappointing. Haha.

Sure, having a phone that lasts forever would be great, but screen-on time means 5 hours looking at your phone throughout the day. Five hours of your face in your phone. That's a lot of time spent staring at a screen.

In any case, it's significantly better than the Nexus 5, so I'm happy. If you're coming from a OnePlus One or something else with an better battery then I can see your disappointment at a very basic level.

th3dude

Damn, my shipment missed the cutoff and is bumped to Wednesday and I'll be out of town through Saturday.

Luckily, I found a FedEx location nearby that is open on sunday so I can pick it up there next week.

Jzero

You tell me :p

This is what i got after listening to Spotify and watching documentaries on Netflix all night.

iha7fKVj4eusl.png

-PXG-

Turbo charger is legit. Got 100% from about 13% in less than an hour. I was too busy playing Smash Bros. to keep track of time more precisely

TxdoHawk

Sure, having a phone that lasts forever would be great, but screen-on time means 5 hours looking at your phone throughout the day. Five hours of your face in your phone. That's a lot of time spent staring at a screen.

I'm often nose-deep in my phone constantly at work (lots of time to kill waiting for things to reboot, progress bars to do their thing, etc.) so I definitely know where he's coming from. On a slow day, I can easily hit enough SOT with most phones that I need a charger two or three hours before I leave. (Let's not even talk about how long my S4 lasted before I strapped a giant battery to it.)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
5 hours isn't bad. It's just not enough for use it and not think about battery. Plus, other phones already do that or do it even better. We always thought stock and optimized Nexus build would get us iPhone optimization. Dang.

5 hours isn't bad. It's just not enough for use it and not think about battery. Plus, other phones already do that or do it even better. We always thought stock and optimized Nexus build would get us iPhone optimization. Dang.

Remember Apple screwed up the first version of iOS 8 and didn't fix it until 8.1. I'm sure the Nexus 6 will get the same optimization with 5.0.1 or whatever.

"iPhone optimization." iOS doesn't track screen-on stats, so there's no way to ever compare the way battery life plays out in real-world usage between the two OSes outside of synthetic benchmarks.

we who? some of us already pointed out that some OEMs already did battery optimization. just like they already had a bunch of things that Google finally added in later. many of those other things were also worse than 3rd party solutions.

Drifters

Android phones.... Where 15 hours of screen on time and wireless charging through walls happens everyday!

Marco1

So looking forward to owning this phone but the recent change from carphone warehouse changing delivery of the 64GB to 15th Dec has me wondering if the initial pre-orders sold out or have Google delayed it.
CPW customer services are useless and just give me the usual support line drivel.

Bboy AJ

"iPhone optimization." iOS doesn't track screen-on stats, so there's no way to ever compare the way battery life plays out in real-world usage between the two OSes outside of synthetic benchmarks.
???

I don't need numbers to know iOS uses battery capacity more efficiently than Android.

So how does Ok Google work when the screen is locked? I'm probably (definitely) missing a setting or something. Sorry if this has been discussed already, I've been playing with the phone since I got it.

Loving it so far but not too happy with the Spigen case I bought. I may look into getting a new one. We'll see.

So how does Ok Google work when the screen is locked? I'm probably (definitely) missing a setting or something. Sorry if this has been discussed already, I've been playing with the phone since I got it.

Loving it so far but not too happy with the Spigen case I bought. I may look into getting a new one. We'll see.

Go into Settings > Language & Input > Google voice typing > "OK Google " Detection.

Toggle the "Always on" setting. (And the one below it if you have a secure lock screen.)

The links at the bottom also allow you to train what phrase you want it to listen for.

Go into Settings > Language & Input > Google voice typing > "OK Google " Detection.

Toggle the "Always on" setting. (And the one below it if you have a secure lock screen.)

The links at the bottom also allow you to train what phrase you want it to listen for.

Much appreciated, thank you!

RedFyn

My nexus 6 is finally ordered and on the way. Clueless T-Mobile reps notwithstanding. I just wish I could've gotten it shipped out this week as I'll be gone when it should arrive.

Does anyone have a tempered screen protector recommendation?

Which one did you get and why don't you like it?

RedFyn

I've come to really enjoy kickstands. I think I'm at the point where they're a requirement. Unfortunately that limits my choices quite a bit.

Kathian

Banned
So looking forward to owning this phone but the recent change from carphone warehouse changing delivery of the 64GB to 15th Dec has me wondering if the initial pre-orders sold out or have Google delayed it.
CPW customer services are useless and just give me the usual support line drivel.

I only saw the Blue as the first week tbf

Jeff-DSA

5 hours.

5 hours between charges.

5 hours between charges of on screen time.

5 hours between charges of on screen time is not enough?

What are you people doing?

So what wireless charging pad do I need to order for the Nexus? I'd like to get something.

As long as the charger is Qi compatible it will work on your phone. There are a couple of other "standards" out there such as Powermat that are NOT compatible but from what I have seen it is mostly Qi chargers these days.

Now on to other matters, just saw this posted :-

Erin Griffin said:
Unbelievable... Just got my #Nexus6 and I am already seeing the keyboard and status bar burned in after just a few days. What crappy version of Amoled is Google using?

https://plus.google.com/+EricaGriffin/posts/XXL8AVT8QAt

Might just be a bad phone but it never hurts to be aware of these things.

Finally got to hold and play with the nexus 6, it's great. Not as big in person as it seemed in videos
The people who review these phablets must be 5'5 or something because their hands are small. Many of the phones that "can't be one-handed" is easy to use for me with my right hand. I suppose I'm not the average height but the Nexus isn't that big to me.
As long as the charger is Qi compatible it will work on your phone. There are a couple of other "standards" out there such as Powermat that are NOT compatible but from what I have seen it is mostly Qi chargers these days.

Now on to other matters, just saw this posted :-

https://plus.google.com/+EricaGriffin/posts/XXL8AVT8QAt

Might just be a bad phone but it never hurts to be aware of these things.
Yeah this is interesting. Erica Griffin is a reputable reviewer so I won't dismiss this comment. However, I think it's a bad unit she received.

NJDEN

Any word on Verizon lately?

Nope, and I'm not foreseeing any word until sometime in December...

It sucks as I'm holding off upgrading from a dual core Motorola Razr Maxx which practically dies anytime I want it to do anything. I think they want to push their Droid Turbo a bit longer... Unless Verizon decided to drop the Nexus 6 completely which wouldn't surprise me I'm guessing we'll here something in the coming weeks, but it would just be nice to know.

The people who review these phablets must be 5'5 or something because their hands are small. Many of the phones that "can't be one-handed" is easy to use for me with my right hand. I suppose I'm not the average height but the Nexus isn't that big to me.

Ya, im 5'10 and don't have big hands by any stretch of the imagination.

RedFyn

I don't doubt her, it happens, but it's a bad screen. return your phone for a new one, sorry.
I'm not saying I don't believe her. I just wish she had posted a pic with her post instead of saying she'll post a video later.

I've never heard of her but I must say her "The biggest problem with my #Nexus6 is that it doesn't feel like a nexus." post didn't inspire much confidence.

I'm not saying I don't believe her. I just wish she had posted a pic with her post instead of saying she'll post a video later.

I've never heard of her but I must say her "The biggest problem with my #Nexus6 is that it doesn't feel like a nexus." post didn't inspire much confidence.
Image retention and/or burn-in are a known entity on AMOLED screens, but her device is faulty if it manifested within the first day.

The status bar icons and soft keys are the most vulnerable areas for this to occur because they're static 98% of the time.

Top Bottom