• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6 |OT| Moto takes the L

TxdoHawk

Please deliver op.

So, here's my thoughts. I'm going to mix in Lollipop thoughts here too.

- The phone is wide. I can see why Apple has been reluctant to make the iPhone wider up until recently. I have giant hands, and this is really pushing the limits of comfortable grip.

- Screen brightness "issue" seems overblown, but I am not overly picky about this and prefer my screens dimmer than most. I have kept Adaptive Brightness on, and I'm content with how the screen adjusts itself indoors and out. YMMV.

- As you'd expect, rendering of fonts and such looks great at this resolution.

- As of right now, I'm not too impressed with battery life. As I've hinted at in this thread, I'm a demanding user that typically has a lot of SOT in a given 8 hour work day. I reserve my final opinion on this, though, until we see more updates.

- Things I miss from iOS - Lightning connector that plugs either way, the way Siri will take and read text messages for me over voice (I need to find a good app to replicate this functionality). It's nice to have MightyText back, though.

- Variety of "smart lock" options is truly nice to have. I thought I was going to miss TouchID, but having stuff like auto-unlock via Bluetooth has largely made that a non-issue.

- While the speakers sound great playing music or videos, phone calls sound pretty iffy quality-wise, on speakerphone or otherwise. I'm wondering if there will be fixes here, seems much worse than it should be, even given the quality of cell voice.

- Have not hacked in the encryption disable, performance seems fast enough that I haven't bothered. I think this is going to turn out being something that only bothers people if they see an A->B comparison.

Overall, despite the nitpicks, I'm pleased. I'll be curious to see what kind of improvements software updates bring, but right now I think the phone is at a good starting point.

todd360

So, here's my thoughts. I'm going to mix in Lollipop thoughts here too.

- The phone is wide. I can see why Apple has been reluctant to make the iPhone wider up until recently. I have giant hands, and this is really pushing the limits of comfortable grip.

- Screen brightness "issue" seems overblown, but I am not overly picky about this and prefer my screens dimmer than most. I have kept Adaptive Brightness on, and I'm content with how the screen adjusts itself indoors and out. YMMV.

- As you'd expect, rendering of fonts and such looks great at this resolution.

- As of right now, I'm not too impressed with battery life. As I've hinted at in this thread, I'm a demanding user that typically has a lot of SOT in a given 8 hour work day. I reserve my final opinion on this, though, until we see more updates.

- Things I miss from iOS - Lightning connector that plugs either way, the way Siri will take and read text messages for me over voice (I need to find a good app to replicate this functionality). It's nice to have MightyText back, though.

- Variety of "smart lock" options is truly nice to have. I thought I was going to miss TouchID, but having stuff like auto-unlock via Bluetooth has largely made that a non-issue.

- While the speakers sound great playing music or videos, phone calls sound pretty iffy quality-wise, on speakerphone or otherwise. I'm wondering if there will be fixes here, seems much worse than it should be, even given the quality of cell voice.

- Have not hacked in the encryption disable, performance seems fast enough that I haven't bothered. I think this is going to turn out being something that only bothers people if they see an A->B comparison.

Overall, despite the nitpicks, I'm pleased. I'll be curious to see what kind of improvements software updates bring, but right now I think the phone is at a good starting point.

Thanks for the impressions! Op hath truly delivered. I decided that I'm just gonna have to go find a store that has a demo model and try it out for myself. I'm still worried about the size. I might try to go do that on Friday. As soon as I typed that I realized that it's going to be Black Friday. Perhaps it's best if I waited lol.

NotBacon

So my T-Mobile port got delayed and I wasn't notified. I felt something was off after 8 hours went by with no confirmation text on my N6. So I just called them up and apparently by "password to your account on your old carrier" they meant "pincode to your account on your old carrier". He said it went through fine and hopefully it'll be ported by morning.

Also, pretty much minutes after I popped in my new SIM, but while I was still activating my SIM, I got a notification for a Voicemail from T-Mobile, and when I call it it asks me to login with my T-Mobile phone #, which doesn't exist yet!

I'm really digging the case less feel, but I could be flying to close to the sun with a phone this big. I might just wait it out for official google sanctioned cases.

I share your feels.

kinggroin

Banned

Speaking as a T-Mobile customer, the N6 supports HD voice out the box. I promise you, depending on network, the voice quality for calls is absolutely jaw dropping. So feel good that at least on google and Motorola's side, things are mostly fine.

gcubed

Speaking as a T-Mobile customer, the N6 supports HD voice out the box. I promise you, depending on network, the voice quality for calls is absolutely jaw dropping. So feel good that at least on google and Motorola's side, things are mostly fine.

Coming from an N5, and on att where I don't think they have HD voice yet (?), the call quality is leaps and bounds better.

th3dude

As I've enjoyed everyone else's initial impressions, here are mine with less than a few hours of use:

• That size. My goodness. I'm coming from a Nexus 5 by way of an iPhone 5, so I've been getting bigger phones every year. The Nexus 5 felt big to me at first then towards the end it felt on the small side. Nothing could have prepared me for the size of this thing. It will take some getting used to but I'm sure I will like it.
  • The screen is pretty great. Plenty bright. Coming from the Nexus 5 it definitely feels warmer and I usually prefer cooler. Not a deal breaker though. Overall a great screen.
  • The speakers are almost worth the upgrade alone. More devices need front facing speakers.
  • Build quality feels fantastic. Extremely solid.
  • No battery or camera impressions yet.
  • Turbo charging is awesome.
  • Ambient display is pretty cool but will also take some getting used to.
  • Glad I held out for the Cloud White. Pretty slick looking device!

I swear, I check the motorola website every damn day and have not once seen the phones in stock lol.

I wish we could just order the damn thing and it arrives when it arrives.

Eligible for a phone upgrade at T-Mobile. Costs 366 then about another $12 a month for 24 months. But thinking about switching back to Sprint and getting one through them because I actually got service in my basement from what I remember, and unlimited data. Is the Nexus 6 unlocked if I get through either of them?

Argyle

I swear, I check the motorola website every damn day and have not once seen the phones in stock lol.

I wish we could just order the damn thing and it arrives when it arrives.

It was available this morning on the Play Store about 2.5 hours ago for about 2-3 minutes. 32GB blue only, though :(

I want the 64gb white, and I want the moto payment plan haha.

It was available this morning on the Play Store about 2.5 hours ago for about 2-3 minutes. 32GB blue only, though :(
This is absolutely ridiculous. I've been trying since 1:00 pm and nothing happened. I randomly refreshed once and I saw the option to add it to my cart and I clicked it. It disappeared when the page loaded. I just want the damn phone. Why does it have to be so difficult?

todd360

This is absolutely ridiculous. I've been trying since 1:00 pm and nothing happened. I randomly refreshed once and I saw the option to add it to my cart and I clicked it. It disappeared when the page loaded. I just want the damn phone. Why does it have to be so difficult?

wtf are they doing over there?

Jeff-DSA

Mine has been delivered. I'll be heading home in about 30 minutes to go and get crazy with it...which I mean installing all my crap and waiting for stuff to happen a lot. I'm pretty pumped to have a new camera for Thanksgiving though. My M7 purple hue is a thing I shall never struggle with again.

NotBacon

Finally got my phone number ported over after some painful misunderstandings over the phone. They make this $30 steal difficult haha

Now that everything is setup........................ GUISE

GUISE, THE PHONE IS WORTH THE WAIT. I shed a tear every time I tap something and Lollipop responds.

todd360

I wish I knew. I just want this phone but this is getting out of hand. It's going to be a month since "launch" and they're still doing this "only available for 30 seconds on Wednesday" bullshit. It's really aggravating at this point.

It's starting to look like I'm not going to be able to get this for Christmas. I refuse to buy anything other than the white one.

Edit: Xperia Z3 will have lollipop before the nexus is on sale longer than 3 minutes once a week lol.

It's starting to look like I'm not going to be able to get this for Christmas. I refuse to buy anything other than the white one.

Edit: Xperia Z3 will have lollipop before the nexus is on sale longer than 3 minutes once a week lol.
I originally wanted a Z3 but I really like the Nexus 6 and Android Lollipop. I'm afraid Sony might change it a little too much. But the way availability is looking, I might go with the Z3.

clav

Finally got my phone number ported over after some painful misunderstandings over the phone. They make this $30 steal difficult haha

GUISE, THE PHONE IS WORTH THE WAIT. I shed a tear every time I tap something and Lollipop responds.

So, it's not worth the wait?

I'm confused about those caps and the crying eagle.

NotBacon

Okay I never mess with these settings sooooo:

Data roaming. Should I turn this on or leave it off?
Preferred network type. I changed it to "LTE(recommended)" when the default was "Global". What's better?

I'm on the TMobile $30 plan btw.

So, it's not worth the wait?

I'm confused about those caps and the crying eagle.

I guess I'm sarcastic too often. It's an amazing phone.

Argyle

I want the 64gb white, and I want the moto payment plan haha.

That's the model I want too, haha...

I've never seen it for sale longer than 10 seconds on the Play Store. My best chance would have been through Motorola but the email they sent to let people know it was available ended up in my spam folder so I didn't see it until they started selling them :(

That's the model I want too, haha...

I've never seen it for sale longer than 10 seconds on the Play Store. My best chance would have been through Motorola but the email they sent to let people know it was available ended up in my spam folder so I didn't see it until they started selling them :(

I haven't even received that email haha

th3dude

I feel the same about both the data plan and the phone.

UFO

Banned
Okay I never mess with these settings sooooo:

Data roaming. Should I turn this on or leave it off?
Preferred network type. I changed it to "LTE(recommended)" when the default was "Global". What's better?

I'm on the TMobile $30 plan btw.

I guess I'm sarcastic too often. It's an amazing phone.

There's no data roaming on pre-paid plans, so you might as well just leave it off.

I would probably put your preferred network on LTE, but you might just want to do a speed test to see if one's faster then the other.

Milpool

Just got a text from CPW saying there's a motorolla stock delay but I should still get it before the 8th Dec. I ordered white, 32GB.

TxdoHawk

Had to work today, arrived way too early and watched some of the MST3k Turkey Day marathon to kill time. Definitely liking the Phablet life.

Kathian

Banned
Just got a text from CPW saying there's a motorolla stock delay but I should still get it before the 8th Dec. I ordered white, 32GB.

Week delay over the date on their site. Not as bad as I thought. No news on the 64GB yet.

Have people been receiving their 64s in the US I take it?

Jeff-DSA

Ok, so I've had the thing for a couple of days now and I'm really liking it. More impressions to come later. I do have a few questions. Sorry if they were addressed, but I must have missed when they were if they were.

Is there a quick settings widget that is working well for anybody? I used to use SwitchPro Widget on my Galaxy S2 and HTC One, but it's not working very well on the Nexus 6. Lots of toggles don't work, or they take me to a settings screen. I tried another one with similar results. Is this an issue with Lollipop? I just want to be able to, from my lock screen, toggle WiFi, data, flashlight, Silent/Vibration mode, and one or two other things. That's always been possible for me before.

When I press the volume down all the way, it goes to vibrate. Any way to go to silent? It used to be that you could go all the way down to vibrate, but if you went up one, it was silent mode. Up two put you at the lowest volume. I already miss this.

Do you know of any apps/sources that have any wallpapers that don't look like total puke when applied? I can't get a decent looking background up on this thing. Everything looks terrible, even pictures I take that look good when viewing them.

Top Bottom