• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Blastoise

Banned
Is there any need for me to root my nexus? What benefits would I get?

I'm mostly using it to watch videos (youtube/giantbomb) and read comics/pdf.

pestul

Is there any need for me to root my nexus? What benefits would I get?

I'm mostly using it to watch videos (youtube/giantbomb) and read comics/pdf.
I haven't done it yet (rooting), but what's swaying me in that direction are the remote control apps where you can plug your nexus into the TV and control it with an android phone. I have yet to find one that works w/o root yet due to requiring system level access. I also believe that I cannot use my wireless keyboard/mouse with the USB port on my HDMI/slimport adapter without root.. nor bluetooth wireless controllers for gaming. I haven't looked into it in a while now, but that was the case the last time I tried.

EDIT: It appears you can use OTG/USB to plug a controller directly into the N7, but not bluetooth/wireless. Hopefully KitKat opens up some of those features w/o root.

Blastoise

Banned
The only thing that makes me want to root is to hide the navigation buttons, and status bar. But I have read that 4.4 KitKat will allow developers to add a fullscreen option. So I might just wait for now.

Darkwater

I've now gone through 7 (seven!) units of this thing, all of them with dead pixels & WiFi issues. I give up. And if you're considering getting one of these, I can only say save yourself the trouble. This is the worst quality control I've ever seen. No exaggeration. Bravo, Asus.

Blablurn

I've now gone through 7 (seven!) units of this thing, all of them with dead pixels & WiFi issues. I give up. And if you're considering getting one of these, I can only say save yourself the trouble. This is the worst quality control I've ever seen. No exaggeration. Bravo, Asus.

i had no problems at all with my first device :(

Groof

I seriously have no idea how this can happen to people. Either you're really unlucky or they keep sending you the same device just to fuck with you.
I'm on my first N7 and the only problems I've noticed are touches getting stuck at times, and that seems software related.

Santiako

Damn. Sorry to hear that, mine was perfect the first time. That is some serious bad luck.

VPhys

No problems with my 7 since day one, sorry to hear that.

VPhys

I thought t-mobile was rolling out their free 200mb data on November 1st.

So why is the Nexus 7 now impossible to find on their website?

Aeroangel

Banned
I thought t-mobile was rolling out their free 200mb data on November 1st.

So why is the Nexus 7 now impossible to find on their website?

November 20th =]

The website I read says that the tab 10.1 is available now withat that plan for $19 a month, I'm wondering which would be a better choise for a $3 difference. I've owned a nexus 7 before and loved it... not sure if the bigger screen is necessary or not.

Source : http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/23/t-mobile-200mb-free-data-for-tablets/

still got a ways to go to beat Liquidus

Jzero

Jesus fucking Christ. I would have given up on the second one,

Darkwater

Jesus fucking Christ. I would have given up on the second one,

Well I actually ordered two at the same time. One for me, one on behalf of a friend. He gave up during the last shipment, so we're really talking about 4 attempts here. I didn't give up for so long because I really want one. And what's the alternative? Some POS with TouchWiz on it? No thanks. Stock or bust.

Alex

I really want to like the device, but I'm on my second and have had a lot of ghost touch issues with both units. Searching around it seems fairly common but it also seems like Google hasn't ever actually mentioned anything about it.

I'll just have to bail out at this point. I had a 2012 which I also went through two units on due to screen raise (there was also a crippling storage flaw, as well) and I guess I just should avoid Google products until they swap off of Asus? Strange stuff, because my Asus motherboards were so wonderful.

It's a shame, it's a REALLY, REALLY good device outside of the stray nonsense. Like super good. I'm considering going back to an iPad now just to get things sorted and not worry but I really like Android as an OS more than iOS, personally.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
"Coming weeks"

Still waiting on that Hangouts update, too... leaked APK is buggy as hell.

BadWolf

Anyone get Flash working in Firefox?

I downloaded Flash and installed it but only Chrome is using it for some reason. When I load videos with Firefox it says unable to play.

Plugins etc. seem to be on.

Jzero

Anyone get Flash working in Firefox?

I downloaded Flash and installed it but only Chrome is using it for some reason. When I load videos with Firefox it says unable to play.

Plugins etc. seem to be on.

For me it's the opposite. It works on Firefox but not on chrome.

I received the 2013 Nexus 7 16GB that I ordered from eBay last week and I have to say it is a beautiful tablet.

What apps should I download to test out the system to make sure everything is in working order?

Santiako

I received the 2013 Nexus 7 16GB that I ordered from eBay last week and I have to say it is a beautiful tablet.

What apps should I download to test out the system to make sure everything is in working order?

I used these ones:

Just make sure you buy from a store that has a decent returns policy. And when you receive it, just check everything. I used Dead Pixel Test for dead pixels and backlight bleeding, and YAMTT for multitouch issues. Also, the units I got always seemed to have a problem with WPA2-secured networks. But system updates fixed them (sometimes). So you may need to unsecure a network so you can log into Google and update to the latest build.

Good luck!

DonMigs85

AntutuTester
Also you'll probably find the 16GB very limiting.

Threi

notag
AntutuTester
Also you'll probably find the 16GB very limiting.
Not necessarily...depends on how he uses the tablet. If you are planning to install multiple (non-retro) games on it or use it for lots of video recording then it may be limited but otherwise 16GB may be more than enough.

DonMigs85

Not necessarily...depends on how he uses the tablet. If you are planning to install multiple (non-retro) games on it or use it for lots of video recording then it may be limited but otherwise 16GB may be more than enough.

Hopefully those new USB OTG flash drives will also work

adata-adata-flash-drive-usb-otg,W-P-405529-13.jpg

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Any of you play Chess on this thing? There are like a gazillion Chess games on the playstore and I was looking for suggestions! Thanks in advance.

rataplein

i bought one a week ago. it's an amazing toy and I love it.

now I need a case. could you guys give me a recommendation? I don't usually travel or commute with it. it's mostly house use. but I like to "protect" it a little bit. thanks!

magnetic

Just got mine from Amazon, and I didn´t even realize it has 32gb storage instead of just 16gb, because 255€ was the cheapest option. I´m so used to 100€ price jumps for double storage in the iOS universe...

One thing I started to notice after playing with it for a while is how much more this little device feels like a real computer compared to my iPad. Copy photos on there via USB? Just drag a folder via USB. Thank god I can finally forget about syncing pictures through iTunes. Install one of the dozens of emulators on there, right from the Play store? Here you go! I´m still amazed that this is even possible without any kind of hacking.

There´s also small details, like actually being able to see picture metadata, show how large it is, when it was taken etc. That is something that always bugged the hell out of me on iOS. The data is there - give me a option to view it! I can handle it. Android doesn´t treat me like a baby.

And this is just from playing with it for an hour, not even going into stuff like replaceable keyboards or widgets or stuff like that. I also really love the three button (back, home, multitasking) - no more annoying home-button pushes or weird four-finger swipes. Switching in and out of apps or between them works much faster than on my old Mini.

I also really love the form factor - it feels like a super-large smartphone, which is actually what wanted all along, less like a small magazine, more like a big softcover. The soft back is also fantastic as well - I never liked the cold metal back of my iPad Mini, that scratches as soon as you look at it and slides all over the place because it has basically no grip.

I kinda regret never giving Android a chance earlier, but then again, the new Nexus 7 (and upcoming KitKat) seems like the perfect time to make the jump.

Top Bottom