• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Forsete

So I got a Nexus 7 16GB about 2 weeks ago now.

And a few times I have noticed that the tablet has been lagging pretty badly. Like the digitalizer doesnt register my presses or swipes. It clears up after a few minutes, but sometimes a restart is required.

It feels REALLY fucking slow when this happens. Typing is nearly impossible as you have to hold your finger on the key for the screen to register the press.

Any idea what is up? I have killed most of the processes when this happens, sometimes it fixes the issue sometimes not.

I haven't seen that behavior.

On an unrelated note, anyone want to buy a broken N7 32GB, where the left inch of screen doesn't register and has cracks? For parts or whatever?

DonMigs85

Great case, had it since I got my Nexus. The stand works great, and it does a good job protecting it.

I only wish it covered up more of the soft-touch plastic edges. Mine is flaking off a bit on the bottom edge.
Makes me want to get the Poetic Revolution case

Canon

Banned
My damn Nexus 7 has a dead black pixel in the middle of the screen now. I tried running those fixer apps but nothing has worked.

I bought it with a credit card that apparently has 90 days theft and damage protection, but I don't know if I wanna go through that.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
My damn Nexus 7 has a dead black pixel in the middle of the screen now. I tried running those fixer apps but nothing has worked.

I bought it with a credit card that apparently has 90 days theft and damage protection, but I don't know if I wanna go through that.

Same thing happened to mine. I bought it from Google and they replaced it no questions asked. I think the cause was from a game app I played. Anyhow you will need to replace it.

Canon

Banned
Same thing happened to mine. I bought it from Google and they replaced it no questions asked. I think the cause was from a game app I played. Anyhow you will need to replace it.
I bought it from the store and it's past 30 days.... will the warranty cover it?

Also what games do you have that would cause a dead pixel??

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I bought it from the store and it's past 30 days.... will the warranty cover it?

Also what games do you have that would cause a dead pixel??

I got it online from the Google store. The Google store took mine back after 11 months. They Sent me a new one free of charge and just required I send the broken one to them in the box the new one came in. I think they even sent the shipping tab as well (but regardless shipping it was free).

The game was one of those free bootleg pocket pet monster games. Apparently the screen stayed on for a few hours maybe 5-7 ( Yay long batteries....) on the index screen and burned out the pixels I think. I didn't tell Google that and just said the pixels were dead and they sent me a new one. I also no longer play games on my nexus 7.

Nicktendo86

So I won a Nexus 7 via the Kit Kat thing a week ago and am still waiting for mine to arrive, I really want to get a cse before it does though. Anyone tried the Asus pro cover? I know it doesn't have magnets, sleep wake and all that but is it any good other than that? I would love one of those official google ones but they are not sold outside the US yet :(

Phanta

And a few times I have noticed that the tablet has been lagging pretty badly. Like the digitalizer doesnt register my presses or swipes. It clears up after a few minutes, but sometimes a restart is required.

It feels REALLY fucking slow when this happens. Typing is nearly impossible as you have to hold your finger on the key for the screen to register the press.

Any idea what is up? I have killed most of the processes when this happens, sometimes it fixes the issue sometimes not.

I suggest you try to get it replaced because that's not normal with mine and other users I know who own it.

Bullza2o

I had the same thing happen to my first N7. Good thing I only had it for 22 days that time, so Amazon replaced it quickly and with no hassle.

I suggest you try to get it replaced because that's not normal with mine and other users I know who own it.

fuck, knew it was a bad idea buying it from best buy, mine does this off and on but not that bad, also does it on my nexus 4. just struggles after typing for a long time.

hmmmmmm maybe my nexus 7 was messed up all this time

Canon

Banned
I had the same thing happen to my first N7. Good thing I only had it for 22 days that time, so Amazon replaced it quickly and with no hassle.
Should I contact the credit company or ASUS directly? Since I'm out of luck with retailers. I doubt Asus will replace it.

Forsete

It's possible he filled it to capacity and FSTRIM can't do its work.
Ideally you need to leave 20% space free.

Hmm. To me it feels like a software issue but you never know.
I have about 9-8gb of free storage left so trim should not be an issue.

Also I checked with the OS Monitor app and I could not see any abnormal activity of any apps. I might just contact the retailer and ask for a new model. Sucks.

isual

Got a nexus 7.

On the lower right side, whenever I press it a bit, it seems to have that feel as if it wasn't pressed down correctly.

anyone have this issue ?

I got the go ahead to purchase two Nexus 7 tablets to use with the Audubon apps. Does anyone here have any of their apps? I am concerned that it might not be tablet optimized. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Santiako

I want to buy a tablet and this seems like the no-brainer choice. I like my iPhone but I don't want to deal with iTunes with the tablet as well. Any new models or anything coming soon or should I just buy it now?

Groof

I want to buy a tablet and this seems like the no-brainer choice. I like my iPhone but I don't want to deal with iTunes with the tablet as well. Any new models or anything coming soon or should I just buy it now?

If you're interested in a bigger model they might be announcing the Nexus 10 soon.
If it's specifically the N7 you're after, most models are probably out by now, unless they decide to release a 64gb version.

Forsete

Alright, before I do a return I have decided to try this fix.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2428133

It seems slowdowns/unresponsive touch and weird touch-freaking-out issues are common on this tablet.

So far so good, but I have only been running TS10 for about an hour.

Hot daym, knock on wood but the adjustments that mod made seems to have solved the problems with the screen. Not a single issue since I did the install.

Hope it stays that way. :)
But poor service provided by ASUS and Google since they keep ignoring these complaints.

Darkwater

I've gone through 6 (six!) units of this thing so far. All of them either had too severe backlight bleeding, dead pixels, WiFi issues or multitouch issues. Still when it does work (or in this case when I'm 'only' dealing with dead pixels) it sure is the best thing since sliced bread.

Next!

Santiako

If you're interested in a bigger model they might be announcing the Nexus 10 soon.
If it's specifically the N7 you're after, most models are probably out by now, unless they decide to release a 64gb version.

Thanks. I prefer smaller, so I just ordered the cheapest (16GB) version :p

I've gone through 6 (six!) units of this thing so far. All of them either had too severe backlight bleeding, dead pixels, WiFi issues or multitouch issues. Still when it does work (or in this case when I'm 'only' dealing with dead pixels) it sure is the best thing since sliced bread.

Next!

And now I'm scared D:

Darkwater

And now I'm scared D:

Just make sure you buy from a store that has a decent returns policy. And when you receive it, just check everything. I used Dead Pixel Test for dead pixels and backlight bleeding, and YAMTT for multitouch issues. Also, the units I got always seemed to have a problem with WPA2-secured networks. But system updates fixed them (sometimes). So you may need to unsecure a network so you can log into Google and update to the latest build.

Good luck!

Santiako

Just make sure you buy from a store that has a decent returns policy. And when you receive it, just check everything. I used Dead Pixel Test for dead pixels and backlight bleeding, and YAMTT for multitouch issues. Also, the units I got always seemed to have a problem with WPA2-secured networks. But system updates fixed them (sometimes). So you may need to unsecure a network so you can log into Google and update to the latest build.

Good luck!

I ordered it from Amazon, and they have great return policies. Thanks for those apps, I'll be sure to use them to test the device as soon as I get it (should be this Tuesday).

Blastoise

Banned

Good luck!

Thanks for the info.

JPodz

Banned
Researched the hell out of tablets, and finally decided on this one. Went out and bought it yesterday, looking to kind of replace my 5 year old laptop as my main source of internet browsing and e-mailing, etc etc.

So far so good. Love the screen on it. Went ahead and ran the dead pixel app and multitouch app. Seems to be good. No issues w/ pixels, but there does seem to be some backlight bleeding from a little area of the screen where the camera is. Wondering if that's normal or not? It's really not that major and only noticeable when I ran the app and it showed dark grey screen.

Darkwater

I ordered it from Amazon, and they have great return policies. Thanks for those apps, I'll be sure to use them to test the device as soon as I get it (should be this Tuesday).

Thanks for the info.

My pleasure. I'm going for units 7 & 8. Fingers crossed!

Researched the hell out of tablets, and finally decided on this one. Went out and bought it yesterday, looking to kind of replace my 5 year old laptop as my main source of internet browsing and e-mailing, etc etc.

So far so good. Love the screen on it. Went ahead and ran the dead pixel app and multitouch app. Seems to be good. No issues w/ pixels, but there does seem to be some backlight bleeding from a little area of the screen where the camera is. Wondering if that's normal or not? It's really not that major and only noticeable when I ran the app and it showed dark grey screen.

In my experience, which by now is quite extensive with this tablet, they all have backlight bleeding to a degree. You'll always see it on a pitch-black screen with high brightness in a dark room. But when I did a Google search for backlight bleeding I discovered it can be much, much worse than what I've had so far. More info here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2384715.

Santiako

Received it half an hour ago and did both of those tests, thankfully my device is perfect!

First tablet ever, and man this screen is AMAZING.

Darkwater

No dead pixels. But what do I do with the multi touch app. Should it be obvious if multi touch isn't working?

It should follow your finger(s) at all times. No jumping, big or small. If it correctly registers your fingers, however you move them, then you're in the clear.

JPodz

Banned
Alright, so this might be a little bit of creative license going on, but in that nexus 7 commercial where the kid is overcoming his fear of public speaking, he's watching a youtube of The Kings Speech, he pauses it, and there's a little circle w/ Colin Firth's name, and then he pulls up a little bit of info on Colin Firth.

not that I would ever really have a use for that, but it seems pretty cool that that's (maybe) possible. It might just be some editing magic, as something like that doesnt quite seem like it can be done, but maybe i'm wrong. So if it's possible, how do you do such a thing?

plastik

It works for supported movies. It's called Info Cards. Kindle Fires have something similar called X-ray. Just pause it and it'll show info on the actors in the scene and even the song playing in the background.

dubq

Anyone else experience a dead pixel on their N7? I just got mine from the Play store yesterday and didn't really get a chance to play with it til now. I have one dead pixel and am wondering if I should return it for a replacement or if this kind of thing is common? =\

Santiako

Anyone else experience a dead pixel on their N7? I just got mine from the Play store yesterday and didn't really get a chance to play with it til now. I have one dead pixel and am wondering if I should return it for a replacement or if this kind of thing is common? =\

I got mine yesterday and it has zero dead pixels, but I heard it's pretty common to have one.

dubq

I got mine yesterday and it has zero dead pixels, but I heard it's pretty common to have one.

Yeah, I honestly didn't notice it until I got to an all white loading screen on a website. It's a small black dot near the upper right.. I am running the Detect/Fix app right now to see if that remedies it. If not, I'll give Google a call and see what my options are. Hopfully there is a warehouse in Toronto I can send for exchange instead of where this actually came from (Kentucky).

Do it. Don't accept shitty QC, especially if it's in the middle of the screen.

dubq

I'm actually just realizing that it might be a dust particle underneath the glass. I thought it looked a little fuzzier than a dead pixel, as it had no defined edges. I can also see it when the screen is locked and turned off if I tilt it under a light. Does Google replace for that?

isual

how do you reply on gmail ? I can't for the life of me see the reply button

there's a forward, back. etc.. but I can't find reply

Can anyone help a brother out and provide a US Amazon link for the best OTG cable that is compatible with an N7?

I'm particularly interested in connecting my PS3 controller via USB.

dubq

Do it. Don't accept shitty QC, especially if it's in the middle of the screen.

Okay, just got off the phone with Google and they are going to send me a replacement. It all went rather smooth.. here's hoping the replacement doesn't have any screen issues. *crosses fingers*

Top Bottom