• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

PriitV

Gawgle needs to step up their push game. Pushing out updates takes waaaaaay to long. Blah.

Manually installed 4.4, sad to see no transparent bar. :(

The support for the transparency is there, but google is playing the favourites game here, only Nexus5 got the transparent launcher & lockscreen.

Nova launhcher beta channel does have support for the transparent bars.

Forsete

The support for the transparency is there, but google is playing the favourites game here, only Nexus5 got the transparent launcher & lockscreen.

Nova launhcher beta channel does have support for the transparent bars.

Hmm, I'll give Nova a try. Thanks.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Netflix still won't work on mine. I've cleared data/cache, uninstalled/reinstalled, rebooted, and still nothing. Can't even get to a login screen, it just stays on the loading wheel. Argh.

I'm on JSS15R if it matters. I've been reading and for most people the issue was resolved with JSS15Q.

pestul

I saw a YouTube video where someone mentioned the same. Can't believe it since the new nexus is already so damn snappy. Looking forward to see the improvements.
Yep. Having used it for a while now it is definitely faster with just about everything.

Jzero

Decided to subscribe to Netflix again since i could use my Nexus 7 to view stuff while on the couch.

Not bad, i'm not having any of the problems with the app like others are.

Hey guys, is the staples deal currently the cheapest way to score a 16 gb 2013 model or is there some mass selling of these babies? Maybe black friday?

I'm running a rooted/unlocked bootloaded N7. I don't recall which version of 4.3 I have, I do know that I am not up to date. Can I just jump to 4.4 or do I have to incrementally get to the latest version of 4.3 and then update?

Jzero

New update KRT16S.

Is funny that there's already another update and some of you haven't received the first one.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I really need things that you can only use when rooted, but the update process on root is pretty obtuse to me. I've had the old 4.3 update sitting in my bar forever because I can't make it work.

DonMigs85

Still no sign of the OTA guys? Some guys on random forums are claiming they got it for the Nexus 4 and 7. Seems to be hitting Europe first.

Groof

Still no sign of the OTA guys? Some guys on random forums are claiming they got it for the Nexus 4 and 7. Seems to be hitting Europe first.

I had sideloaded the OTA after it became available online and got the hotfix this morning. Nothing on my N4 yet though. I'm in Europe.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Have you changed any system apps at all?
Not that I know of. All I know is, when I reboot to apply any OTA, it puts me in that teamwin recovery state and nothing's happening.

Just upgraded to the new model and need some advice on cases.

Poetic
Moko
Google

The Google one is a long shot unless it's really really good. Last time around i used a Moko case and it served my purpose well on the first gen N7. I like light cases with covers. Anyone have experience with any of the ones above or something else you may recommend?

Santiako

Poetic
Moko
Google

The Google one is a long shot unless it's really really good. Last time around i used a Moko case and it served my purpose well on the first gen N7. I like light cases with covers. Anyone have experience with any of the ones above or something else you may recommend?

I have that poetic case and it's perfect. Highly recommended.

Groof

Poetic
Moko
Google

Poetic seems to be the best following what most people say. I've got one on the way and should be here next week.

Groof

So I got my Poetic CoverMate case in the mail today! Seems to be derived from the Slimline case so it adds very little bulk. Here are some pics (sorry for the blurry mess, I was in a hurry)

10994496636_2e99d3e9b7_b.jpg

10994621103_d35e2c5fc5_b.jpg

10994620773_f6e6381265_b.jpg

10994563334_bd97367d34_b.jpg

10994562824_5871261e00_b.jpg

10994493856_25e62a8b00_b.jpg

10994406225_e2d1c31253_b.jpg

10994405455_78c42ce7ea_b.jpg

I've only played with it for 10-ish minutes, but here are some quick pros and cons:

Pros
- Good feel in hand. Doesn't seem to be the same faux leather the Slimline series is, but rather a soft to the touch rubber material. It feels a lot better than one would think.
- Adds very little bulk and heft. You can definitely feel the difference, but it's not too horrible.
- Magnets. Has sleep/wake function and the cover stays put when closed.
- Feels sturdy overall

Cons
- The front cover seems to be a bit too big, so when gripped firmly it slides off to the side. Nitpick though, really.
- The stand position of doesn't seem very sturdy since there are no magnets to hold it in place, so it feels like it'll fall down at any second.
- Print quality of the design seems very poor quality. This is a big bummer, but I'm just glad I can have such a colourful case.

Overall, good so far. Will see how it fares later on. If anyone wants to know anything or see more of the case just tell me.

mattiewheels

So to try and get this update to work, I've tried sideloading, OTA, even unrooted, and locked the boot loader again to try to bring this thing back to factory fresh, and every single time I try something different I just get the tipped-over robot error icon. This is crazy.

Husker86

So to try and get this update to work, I've tried sideloading, OTA, even unrooted, and locked the boot loader again to try to bring this thing back to factory fresh, and every single time I try something different I just get the tipped-over robot error icon. This is crazy.
Factory image is what you need.

mattiewheels

Factory image is what you need.
That was it, it was the one thing in Toolkit I didn't try.

What I really want to know is what method of rooting should I try that won't leave me with the errors when updating?

Husker86

That was it, it was the one thing in Toolkit I didn't try.

What I really want to know is what method of rooting should I try that won't leave me with the errors when updating?
I just always use Factory Images to update. Since rooting is so easy on Nexus devices, it's not a big deal to reroot after. You can use factory image to update without wiping.

mattiewheels

I just always use Factory Images to update. Since rooting is so easy on Nexus devices, it's not a big deal to reroot after. You can use factory image to update without wiping.
Thank you sir. You use Nexus Toolkit?

Top Bottom