• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

BadWolf

Google decided only the Nexus 5 is cool enough to have them by default, even though the API support is there.. Download the Nova/Apex Launcher beta or the GEL and use that instead if you want them on the home screens at least.
As for lock screen, you have to be rooted and exchange a system app.

Ah, I see. Thank you!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
That's the first time I've ever used the refund option, Flatastico looked cool in the screenshot but I really didn't like it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm debating on grabbing one of these, but I was hoping some of you could help me with a few basic questions:

1) Is it relatively painless to transfer some of my digital movies back and forth? I've tried to do this with my iPad, but the file type issues make it a real bitch.

2) Say I transferred a movie or show over - would I be able to stream the content to my TV with a Chromecast? If so, can I be using the N7 for other stuff while streaming?

3) My only experience with Android was the original Galaxy S many years back. It was slow, sluggish, laggy, and full of wonderful issues. I'm assuming things are MUCH better now, but how does the N7 compare? The newest one that just came out (dubbed the 2013, no?) seems to be doing well...But I want to make sure it's worth the extra cash.

4) Does the N7 support
emulators? And if so, is it relatively easy to transfer the ROMS back and forth?

5) More of a question about Google Play...But if I purchased a movie from there, can that be played on my computer as well as the N7? And that can be streamed via Chromecast, no?

6) Anything worth noting that I should think about before pulling the trigger? I've got an iPad 2 that I enjoy, but having used an iPod touch, an iPad 1 and 2, my iPhone 4 and 4S, I've finally decided that the limitations of the software are getting to me. I have next to no customization options. I'd grab an Android phone, but I'm waiting for my contract to end in March (at which point I'll probably go with a Note 3). So until then, this would be a fun way to delve back into Android.

Thanks folks!

rc213

I'm debating on grabbing one of these, but I was hoping some of you could help me with a few basic questions:

1) Is it relatively painless to transfer some of my digital movies back and forth? I've tried to do this with my iPad, but the file type issues make it a real bitch.

2) Say I transferred a movie or show over - would I be able to stream the content to my TV with a Chromecast? If so, can I be using the N7 for other stuff while streaming?

3) My only experience with Android was the original Galaxy S many years back. It was slow, sluggish, laggy, and full of wonderful issues. I'm assuming things are MUCH better now, but how does the N7 compare? The newest one that just came out (dubbed the 2013, no?) seems to be doing well...But I want to make sure it's worth the extra cash.

4) Does the N7 support
emulators? And if so, is it relatively easy to transfer the ROMS back and forth?

5) More of a question about Google Play...But if I purchased a movie from there, can that be played on my computer as well as the N7? And that can be streamed via Chromecast, no?

6) Anything worth noting that I should think about before pulling the trigger? I've got an iPad 2 that I enjoy, but having used an iPod touch, an iPad 1 and 2, my iPhone 4 and 4S, I've finally decided that the limitations of the software are getting to me. I have next to no customization options. I'd grab an Android phone, but I'm waiting for my contract to end in March (at which point I'll probably go with a Note 3). So until then, this would be a fun way to delve back into Android.

Thanks folks!

1. Filezilla on PC/Mac to Any File Managing app (Solid Explorer) Create FTP Share

2. No, Chromecast doesn't support local file playback yet, Not sure if it ever will through official app.

3. Defintely huge steps in the right direction, Me personally I have no glaring issues left.

4. There are plenty of Emulators, Roms are as easy to transfer as Movies via FTP, Control wise YMMV

5. If you purchase a movie yes to both.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
1. Filezilla on PC/Mac to Any File Managing app (Solid Explorer) Create FTP Share

2. No, Chromecast doesn't support local file playback yet, Not sure if it ever will through official app.

3. Defintely huge steps in the right direction, Me personally I have no glaring issues left.

4. There are plenty of Emulators, Roms are as easy to transfer as Movies via FTP, Control wise YMMV

5. If you purchase a movie yes to both.

OK, thanks. It sounds like Chromecast probably ISN'T what I'd want then. A Roku would be the best option I think.

mturco

OK, thanks. It sounds like Chromecast probably ISN'T what I'd want then. A Roku would be the best option I think.

Yeah instead of transferring the file to the tablet and then streaming it to the TV, just install Plex on your computer and then the Plex app on your Nexus 7 and Roku. It will stream to both flawlessly.

As to your first question, did you mean other than just drag and drop on a computer? If it's a question of file format support, yes, it'll support a lot more formats than iOS.

Canon

Banned
Since Asus refuses to pay for shipping to replace my dead-pixel infested Nexus 7, should I just buy another one and return the defective one to the store?

Also asphalt 8 is awesome and free to play now.

Since Asus refuses to pay for shipping to replace my dead-pixel infested Nexus 7, should I just buy another one and return the defective one to the store?

Also asphalt 8 is awesome and free to play now.

don't most stores scan the serial number on expensive electronics nowadays?

Umm, so I go to wake my Nexus 7 today and its just not turning on...

It had been charging previously, but I unplugged it yesterday i think. It should have enough battery though.

When I plug it in and try to turn it on with the button, the light at the bottom flashes white like 4 times and nothing happens

Is this thing just dead? I mean I barely use it and I don't have anything wacky downloaded on it...

bob page

Umm, so I go to wake my Nexus 7 today and its just not turning on...

It had been charging previously, but I unplugged it yesterday i think. It should have enough battery though.

When I plug it in and try to turn it on with the button, the light at the bottom flashes white like 4 times and nothing happens

Is this thing just dead? I mean I barely use it and I don't have anything wacky downloaded on it...
Same thing happened to me yesterday. Turns out I left something running and the battery completely drained. Plug it on for around 30 mins and you should be able to power it on.

Same thing happened to me yesterday. Turns out I left something running and the battery completely drained. Plug it on for around 30 mins and you should be able to power it on.

Yeah, that worked, thankfully.

But what scares me is that I barely use this thing aside from just browsing for a little and then putting it to the side. And I could have sworn it had decent battery last time I looked at it, so I'm really wondering how this battery is draining so much when it is just sitting there in sleep mode

plc268

But what scares me is that I barely use this thing aside from just browsing for a little and then putting it to the side. And I could have sworn it had decent battery last time I looked at it, so I'm really wondering how this battery is draining so much when it is just sitting there in sleep mode

Yea, that's been my gripe with Android, the inconsistent battery drain. One time, I can get a few days of occasional use out a charge, and the next time, I might get half a day before my battery's drained after the same usage pattern. The battery usage meter is usually of little use, because it's always Google Services or Android OS that take the most juice.

On a side note, is there anyway to force the 4.4 update? It showed up earlier today, but I restarted the tablet for another reason, and the update disappeared. I went into the settings to check for updates, and it said my tablet was up to date at 4.3.

Edit: Guess I have to wait again, if I want to to it OTA.

Mrcapcom

Yea I have been noticing mines die faster than it did before. I look at my battery stats and it lasts for like 2 days but my exchange services are using up my battery like crazy smh I'll change the settings I think its on Push and see what happens.

I had the same issue on my cell and when I changed it off push and to say like every 15 minutes the battery went back to normal.

U2NUMB

So the time has come.. I have enjoyed my Nexus 7 for the most part but now I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro and a new ipad Mini.. I think my Nexus is going to be the odd man out.

I will be back for a 2014 nexus 7 for sure though and hope they solve some of the nit picks I have. Now to find out best place to sell my 2013.

reKon

Banned
I don't know if it's Kit Kat or the new experience launcher that I installed, which came directly from Google, but Kit Kat has been stuttering for me a lot. It's been mainly when transitioning from the Google Now page to the right home screen. My Nexus also lagged heavily when downloading/installing files when I tried to navigate. Felt like I was using a Galaxy Nexus. This is completely the opposite of my experience when I was on 4.3. It didn't ever lag when I using the tablet and installing apps at the same time. Anyone run into this issue?

Phanta

Anybody have problems with downloaded pics and documents? I downloaded a few pics and PDFs and after a few days, they disappear/don't work.

Also anyone know if there is an app for screenshots I can use?

Blablurn

So the time has come.. I have enjoyed my Nexus 7 for the most part but now I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro and a new ipad Mini.. I think my Nexus is going to be the odd man out.

I will be back for a 2014 nexus 7 for sure though and hope they solve some of the nit picks I have. Now to find out best place to sell my 2013.

Is the Dell as snappy as the Nexus?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Anybody have problems with downloaded pics and documents? I downloaded a few pics and PDFs and after a few days, they disappear/don't work.

Also anyone know if there is an app for screenshots I can use?

What do you want to do screenshot wise?

Power + Volume down takes a screenshot fyi.

plc268

I have another question regarding the KitKat OTA update.

The update popped again for me, but I'm already rooted. The update starts, and when the Nexus reboots, it reboots to TWRP. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do here, and both times that I tried doing the update, the update cancels after I get to TWRP. I'm pretty new to android and have no idea what I'm supposed to do to get it to update.

Husker86

I have another question regarding the KitKat OTA update.

The update popped again for me, but I'm already rooted. The update starts, and when the Nexus reboots, it reboots to TWRP. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do here, and both times that I tried doing the update, the update cancels after I get to TWRP. I'm pretty new to android and have no idea what I'm supposed to do to get it to update.

It's failing. Likely because a system file(s) is changed depending on what exactly you did when you rooted.

You'll have either figure out what changed and return it to stock, or flash the factory image that you can download from Google. You can do this without losing your data.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
White version now available.

gM-EXKBXzARBgBbfKrKbQkVggAKCvwhjFmFIK5IAC-Y5L_Wr9GtNKWqt5ZAM3YWP7A0=h900-rw
c_bVKygtu8PN5Et0yDJ7M1hh-HDBJDs25inXydrXpG8KCEjnl8VNy8LhOBw21u0DCOg9=h900-rw

Forsete

My mobile operator gave me the old Nexus 7 when I extended my subscription. Damn the touch is so much better on this. I can actually type on it without risking a stroke.

It is a bit slower though in operation. Not sure which model I will continue to use. This one is LTE which is nice, my 2nd gen is Wifi only.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Am I going deaf, or did the new update really muffle the keyboard sounds?

timnich

Just got my Nexus 7. I have some experience with Android, but still have some questions. First of all, is it worth using Kitkat? I've read it kinda runs sluggish compared to 4.3, which I know first hand was pretty snappy with a first gen Nexus 7.

Second, should I root my Nexus 7? What are the benefits/negatives to unrooting?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Just got my Nexus 7. I have some experience with Android, but still have some questions. First of all, is it worth using Kitkat? I've read it kinda runs sluggish compared to 4.3, which I know first hand was pretty snappy with a first gen Nexus 7.

Second, should I root my Nexus 7? What are the benefits/negatives to unrooting?
GMD Gestures and the homebar hider from the same dev are my reasons for rooting, getting around the system with custom gestures is pretty great.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just got the 4.4.2 update, can't say I notice a difference.

Top Bottom