• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Finally got the update and I can definitely say it feels even smoother than before. WiFi working better as well.

Nothing feels different to me yet, but I'm glad I finally got it. The icons and my background seem to be slightly darker, but otherwise I doubt I'd be able to tell if I just woke up to it.

Bullza2o

Just got the update. What's supposed to be new again? The only difference I see right now is a white task at where time and wifi icons are.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
nexusae0_icons_thumb.jpg

I was expecting an invisible taskbar, guess not on N7?

Husker86

Thank you sir. You use Nexus Toolkit?
Nope, I just download the factory image and edit the .bat file so it won't wipe device (remove -w in text editor) then run the .bat and that's it! As long as drivers are installed and fastboot/adb can recognize your device it's very quick.

UrbanRats

Anyone here using this to write long-ish documents?
I've never had a tablet (nor a smartphone) and after intense reading around, it seems like this one is definitely the best value for the money tablet at the moment.
However i initially thought about getting a tablet because i wanted something light (so not a laptop) to bring around and write.
I saw some shell/keyboard extension that looked cool, though the 7" screen may not be ideal, i don't know.

I've looked into some 10", but i didn't see anything as good as this one, and IF i pick it up, i want to do it before December.

It wouldn't be to write something as long as a novel, btw, i'd use it to take notes and write drafts for comics'/graphic novels' stories.
So not super long, but not a couple of sentences, either.

EDIT: Also, i'd like the ability to visualize comics on it, so i can actually see how things come out on a tablet.

UrbanRats

If you want to write on the go, the $199 black Friday surface plus a type cover is your best bet.

I'm in Italy, there is no Black Friday here.
The 32GB Surface is priced at around 330€(tegra3, so i assume it's an older model?), against the 260€ of the Nexus7(Snapdragon, 2013 edition., in this case), plus when i was looking into various tablets, i read a lot of people saying that the android OS is far more supported than the Windows one? Were they exaggerating?

Is the difference still worth it without the black friday pricing?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You'll get a lot more apps on the Nexus, it's not even close. I thought you were putting a premium on productivity, I'd hate to have to do schoolwork or any of my work documents on the N7. Its definitely a consumption device first and foremost.

UrbanRats

You'll get a lot more apps on the Nexus, it's not even close. I thought you were putting a premium on productivity, I'd hate to have to do schoolwork or any of my work documents on the N7. Its definitely a consumption device first and foremost.

I guess i am.

If i sound confused it's because i totally am! There seem to be a million different tablets, with different characteristics.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Got the KitKat OTA today on my N7 and installed the Google Experience Launcher.

2013-11-23

All is right with the world.

Also, KitKat will let you use Google Wallet Tap & Pay now, since the N7 lacks the NFC secure element that KitKat virtualizes. I'm sure this will also be the same for the Google Play Edition HTC One and any other phones with NFC that get KitKat.

Darkkn

Still waiting for my LTE Nexus 7 to get the update. It's kind of annoying when even the Google's own recent products have to wait for the update for weeks/months.

a745

After debating back and forth between a Nexus 7.2 and a Galaxy Note 8, I finally caved in and bought myself a Nexus. I mainly need it for school since bringing around the laptop everyday is just too heavy for me. Also got a few accessories like a MoKo case, a female USB cord and a HAND stylus (that one that had a Kickstarter first, I think).

Question though, does anyone know of any decent decals or full body stickers for a Nexus? To be honest I find the black a bit off-putting, personally, and I was hoping to dress it up in a different color (actual case aside). I really want it in a plain, lighter color, like white or something.

Groof

After debating back and forth between a Nexus 7.2 and a Galaxy Note 8, I finally caved in and bought myself a Nexus. I mainly need it for school since bringing around the laptop everyday is just too heavy for me. Also got a few accessories like a MoKo case, a female USB cord and a HAND stylus (that one that had a Kickstarter first, I think).

Question though, does anyone know of any decent decals or full body stickers for a Nexus? To be honest I find the black a bit off-putting, personally, and I was hoping to dress it up in a different color (actual case aside). I really want it in a plain, lighter color, like white or something.
Do you mean something like this, maybe? http://dbrand.com/submodels/nexus-7-2013/

bob page

Got the KitKat OTA today on my N7 and installed the Google Experience Launcher.

2013-11-23

All is right with the world.

Also, KitKat will let you use Google Wallet Tap & Pay now, since the N7 lacks the NFC secure element that KitKat virtualizes. I'm sure this will also be the same for the Google Play Edition HTC One and any other phones with NFC that get KitKat.
What widget pack is that?

Vyer

Anyone having a problem with HBO go? Seems like the frame rate is dropping or something, the video kind of hitches.

Darkwater

I've gone through seven or eight of these bitches now. At least I think I have. One loses count. All of them with fucking dead pixels. How can you all be so lucky? Are you checking them thoroughly enough? I think I'll get one on the used market (as new) and just ask the seller seventy times if the thing has any dead pixels. And then still check it myself.

Mindwipe

Anyone having a problem with HBO go? Seems like the frame rate is dropping or something, the video kind of hitches.

On a 2012 or a 2013?

Not on HBO Go specifically, but I find that the Nexus 7 2012 has a bit of an issue keeping up with the I/O required from storage memory to play a smooth video stream from local storage while protected by Playready DRM (which is what HBO Go uses).

Has anyone tried to restore to factory settings after updating to 4.4? I am having this weird problem where I would input the password to connect to my router for the initial setup but the Nexus 7 would not connect unless I rebooted it. It did not do this when I restored factory settings on 4.3.

Vyer

So...other than less blue, what exactly have I gained on this thing from 4.4?

On a 2012 or a 2013?

Not on HBO Go specifically, but I find that the Nexus 7 2012 has a bit of an issue keeping up with the I/O required from storage memory to play a smooth video stream from local storage while protected by Playready DRM (which is what HBO Go uses).

northead

KitKat FINALLY hit my 2013 Nexus 7. Can't believe I got rid of the black bars and the tron blue.
So happy.

r6vyXPs.png

In case anyone was interested: Flatastico icon pack, random wallpaper and Nova Launcher Prime v.2.3 beta 3.

Groof

Would like to know about this as well.

Google decided only the Nexus 5 is cool enough to have them by default, even though the API support is there.. Download the Nova/Apex Launcher beta or the GEL and use that instead if you want them on the home screens at least.
As for lock screen, you have to be rooted and exchange a system app.

Top Bottom