• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Dec

If your only concern is wallpaper, download something like ES File explorer and navigate to your wallpapers from there and set your wallpaper from there. You will have the option of resizing and centering. As a side note, ES File explorer is fucking amazing and no Android should be without it.

It for streaming from PC over LAN? Edit: At least that seems to be the only reason I'd want it.

I got Plex with the free $5 amazon gave out this week and it seems pretty great.

My wife got me the N7 along with a Poetic Slimline case. Absolutely loving it so far.

Already had an S3 with some apps and games so the fact that all of that just downloaded one I loved in was excellent.

Any recommendations for games or apps over the past three months or so? I haven't really picked up anything recently from the Play store.

jsip

Banned
It for streaming from PC over LAN? Edit: At least that seems to be the only reason I'd want it.

I got Plex with the free $5 amazon gave out this week and it seems pretty great.
Its a file manager. A very robust, balls to the wall, easy to use file manager with LAN, FTP, etc.

Dec

This is my first tablet. So far I'm very happy. No more having to use my phone at home.

Same. I used my Vita in bed to watch youtube and stream movies from my PC. This is obviously an upgrade in almost all ways since I only play a few Vita games a year, it was mostly for this stuff.

Though the Vita youtube app is better. Much more simple to navigate, cleaner UI and no ads.

reKon

Banned
Same. I used my Vita in bed to watch youtube and stream movies from my PC. This is obviously an upgrade in almost all ways since I only play a few Vita games a year, it was mostly for this stuff.

Though the Vita youtube app is better. Much more simple to navigate, cleaner UI and no ads.

If you root it and install the Xposed Framework, you can get a mod that will remove all YouTubes ads.

This basically lets you hand pick custom features that you would find in popular ROMs and apply it to stock Android without having to go through the process of flashing (installing) another mod. I'm running 4.2.2 stock right now with a few of these mods such as the no YouTube ads one. It's great.

DonMigs85

If you root it and install the Xposed Framework, you can get a mod that will remove all YouTubes ads.

This basically lets you hand pick custom features that you would find in popular ROMs and apply it to stock Android without having to go through the process of flashing (installing) another mod. I'm running 4.2.2 stock right now with a few of these mods such as the no YouTube ads one. It's great.
But isn't that how Google and the video uploaders make most of their money?

bob page

My wife got me the N7 along with a Poetic Slimline case. Absolutely loving it so far.

Already had an S3 with some apps and games so the fact that all of that just downloaded one I loved in was excellent.

Any recommendations for games or apps over the past three months or so? I haven't really picked up anything recently from the Play store.
I posted some pretty good stuff over in this thread:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=740803&page=100000#footer

jsip

Banned
Damn. Ditching my Poetic Slimline. Its just not as quality as expected. I like the feel of the bare device and I like the Google sleeve for my case much better. Its a sizable case but its lined with softness. Quality built. But when handling the device I like the bare unit much better. The Slimline kept creaking, flexing, etc.

Razdek

Banned
I like my Nexus 7 but I hate it when I don't use it for a few days and it'll just drain the battery and die. With my iPad mini I can leave it for over a week and it'll still have battery power to use it. This is on 4.4.2 stock. I hope next year's model has better battery.

I like my Nexus 7 but I hate it when I don't use it for a few days and it'll just drain the battery and die. With my iPad mini I can leave it for over a week and it'll still have battery power to use it. This is on 4.4.2 stock. I hope next year's model has better battery.

Really? I have the original mini and the new Nexus 7, and I find myself in the opposite scenario. Heck, my Nexus can sit at 12% and be at 5% the same time next day with airplane mode. The mini is very comparable though.

Vyer

Really? I have the original mini and the new Nexus 7, and I find myself in the opposite scenario. Heck, my Nexus can sit at 12% and be at 5% the same time next day with airplane mode. The mini is very comparable though.

We have both and the N7 dies much faster than the mini here too.

RuGalz

It just depends on what apps you have installed and what runs in background. If iOS allows apps to run in the background as freely it wouldn't last long either. Root, install Geenify and put those apps to sleep. N7 shouldn't have problem last a week idling while still having battery left for use, at least mine does.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Husker86

Go to WiFi advanced settings and have it turn off WiFi when screen is off. Somewhat less convenient but it makes standby amazing.

Ugh, I think I have a dead pixel (or at the very least a speck of dust inside the display, but it seems too small to be that).

The rest of the display backlight-wise is great, though, so I'm kinda leery of Google/Asus giving me another replacement model which could be worse.

diaspora

Just got my new Nexus 7 from google to replace the one I first got because of dead pixels.

Oh wait. This one has dead pixels too.

Jzero

Does anyone else's music randomly stop for like half a second when listening to Spotify or Google Play? I'm just wondering if it's my wireless headphones or something else.

adroit

Does anyone else's music randomly stop for like half a second when listening to Spotify or Google Play? I'm just wondering if it's my wireless headphones or something else.
Yes, that has always happened on my 2012 model. Stock, not rooted, very few apps installed, background garbage like Google Currents disabled. I think it's the price of cheap, low-power computing. I don't let it bother me.

plastik

It happens to me when I go from portrait to landscape and vice versa.

DonMigs85

I left my Nexus plugged into my laptop for a while to charge and the battery temperature reached 33 degrees celsius. Is this normal?
Normally also my laptop can charge USB devices even when it's in standby mode, but the tablet barely charged at all.

Husker86

I left my Nexus plugged into my laptop for a while to charge and the battery temperature reached 33 degrees celsius. Is this normal?
Normally also my laptop can charge USB devices even when it's in standby mode, but the tablet barely charged at all.
Laptop USB output is low, it will be very slow for any tablet.

33 degrees C is barely warm.

DonMigs85

if you guys have Windows 8 laptops, can you test to see if the Nexus 7 still charges off the USB port? Mine actually goes down

Is there a good, stable version of VLC now? Because the one I downloaded back when this thing first came out doesn't seem to be working anymore.

Or is there just a good video player in general that will play any files?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Has anybody tried that Baldur's Gate/Torment emulator and actually gotten it to work? I feel like I've done all I can with that config file but it just quits on startup every time.

EmiPrime

I left mine on for 12 hours and it's still on 100% battery with wifi on, NFC off, Google Now off, location reporting off and battery saving mode for location settings.

If you're getting bad battery life there are a lot of things you can do to improve it.

DonMigs85

I left mine on for 12 hours and it's still on 100% battery with wifi on, NFC off, Google Now off, location reporting off and battery saving mode for location settings.

If you're getting bad battery life there are a lot of things you can do to improve it.

Sounds like a miscalibrated sensor

diaspora

Third nexus 7 to replace the previous ones with dead pixels has arrived. Arrived looking like someone had stomped on it and threw it down a flight of stairs, WTF. It's not bad enough that it looks crumpled, but there's tears on the inner white box. I haven't tried the new device yet, but this doesn't bode well.

Edit: Another one? You've got to be fucking joking.

DonMigs85

Third nexus 7 to replace the previous ones with dead pixels has arrived. Arrived looking like someone had stomped on it and threw it down a flight of stairs, WTF. It's not bad enough that it looks crumpled, but there's tears on the inner white box. I haven't tried the new device yet, but this doesn't bode well.

Edit: Another one? You've got to be fucking joking.

maybe your retinas have dead pixels

Is there a good, stable version of VLC now? Because the one I downloaded back when this thing first came out doesn't seem to be working anymore.

Or is there just a good video player in general that will play any files?

Any word on this? I'd like to use this thing to play videos for my commute to/from work, but VLC just breaks when I try to play anything...

Schrade

maybe your retinas have dead pixels

I had to send back several as well. I finally settled on my original which "only" had a dust spot discoloration in the bottom left corner of the screen.

All the other ones I sent back either had dead pixels or a dust spot/bump/bubble in a bad spot.

Perhaps you are just one of those people who don't notice or care about those things.

DonMigs85

I had to send back several as well. I finally settled on my original which "only" had a dust spot discoloration in the bottom left corner of the screen.

All the other ones I sent back either had dead pixels or a dust spot/bump/bubble in a bad spot.

Perhaps you are just one of those people who don't notice or care about those things.

Tested it thoroughly with solid color patterns, not a single dead/stuck pixel. Just got lucky I suppose.

BadWolf

Any word on this? I'd like to use this thing to play videos for my commute to/from work, but VLC just breaks when I try to play anything...

I watch a ton of stuff almost every day on my commute.

The free versions of MX Player and BS player have played pretty much everything I've thrown at them.

Once in a blue moon something doesn't work on MX Player but nothing gets past BS Player.

Both are on the app store.

Thanks guys! Looks like Diceplayer is working great!

(now to just hope that watching shows wont make me want to puke like playing Zelda does on the bus)

I bought another Nexus 2013 from Amazon last month. The 32GB version and I have been having problems with touch screen responsiveness.

I placed an exchange order and I am really surprise by how fast Amazon is sending it out. It will be here by tomorrow and I still have not returned the original one that I bought.

Hopefully this one does not have any problems.

DonMigs85

The only issue so far with mine is that it spontaneously reboots maybe once or twice a month.
I've sent them error logs

Blablurn

Ordered a keyboard for my nexus yesterday. I hope it doesnt suck. Should arrive soon. Will post impressions.

EDIT:

1iluju.jpg

works great. smaller than i expected though. still, i have no problems typing. connecting it via bluetooth worked great too.

mattiewheels

I feel like Cook Serve Delicious should come pre-installed on every N7. It's pretty great on that size screen.

Top Bottom